Scapes vs Reality

United States
United States
When Scapes was first revealed, I had this idea to bring my cars to those locations and do a Scapes vs Reality comparison. So, here is the first one, in Beverly Hills.
GT1.jpg
GT2.jpg

Photo taken by an Sony A7RM2, FE55, f/8, 1/60s

Hopefully, I can get to more locations in California/Arizona and keep this post updated in the following years. Another reason for road trips!

Great camera, too. :D

Regarding the lighting, do you think it would be possible to fully recreate the one in the Scapes?
The direction looks like the same (from the left); it's just that in your shot the sun's already too low.

Great camera, too. :D

Regarding the lighting, do you think it would be possible to fully recreate the one in the Scapes?
The direction looks like the same (from the left); it's just that in your shot the sun's already too low.

I will retake it when I got the chance:) I noticed that I parked the car at the wrong place too.

Any idea if it will be possible to had our own photos and mix them with the in-game cars?
That would be the most incredible addition to the game...ever!!!

Scapes are HDRI image files. (Essentially photos) that the game uses not only as a background but also the lighting and reflections on the car model.

In order to fit the car in them the HDRI files have also been mapped with a perspective map just to help the car allign with the image perspective.

HDRI files won't be an issue importing but they won't contain a perspective map so in essence the car will just be floating, I highly doubt we will be able to import our own unless PD also include a perspective generator or the ability to import a 3D file the user has created.

(And I know all this because HDRI files are used in 3D software and I've used them in my own 3D models.)

Very nice idea and very nice pictures, especially the ones with the Roadster! Interesting thing in the Camaro photos is how the planks near the roof sticks differently in each photo. And I like that you are not only using the same place&car, but also camera, since most of the scapes were probably shot also with A7RII :)

In 2010, I did similar thing comparing Hangar 7 GT5 photo location with the real thing.

Back