Sciaru BRZFRS (BreezeFrees)

• Thread starter Azuremen
  • 5,604 comments
I can't see the wing being of any use on the road, but it actually looks potentially functional.

I know you've mentioned the rough engine before. And I still say you probably drove a car that hadn't been fully broken in, or was abused like hell. The characteristics of of my own FRS changed noticeably after about 2,000 miles. It's not the sweetest or smoothest powerplant on earth by a long shot, but I would never use the word rough to describe it.

(To be perfectly fair, my car hasn't been road legal in quite some time. It's not running a cat, it has UEL headers, and a straight mid-pipe, and a custom tune that's designed for track use.) The higher it revs, the better it feels & sounds. But that was the case in stock form too. (however long ago that was).

Don't get me wrong, I still really like the 86/BRZ. I think about buying one nearly every day. But living along the coast in Cali has me thinking about an MX-5/124 even more....

Toyota and Subaru seem determined to take the ZN6 twins in consistently bad directions. I can't tell if its because of misguided idealism or cheapness. That wing is unbelievably stupid and probably mostly for aesthetic purposes.

It drives me crazy that the ZN6 cars have such a good chassis but such poor styling/detailing, poor quality interior, and such a raunchy feeling engine. If it was half as good to drive, but twice as good looking, they would probably sell 4x as many.
Agreed.

Ugh it looks like an unfinished autosculpted spoilers in NFS series. It's too high and it's not wide.

Too little, too late for a STi version, just going by this thread alone (started in 2008; at 174 pages now).

I can only assume this is now the swan song from the model.

Turns out the car teased is not the BRZ STI, but instead the WRX STI Type RA.

subaru-wrx-sti-type-ra-at-the-nurburgring.jpg

So the RA is expected to be unveiled on the 8th, while the wait for the BRZ STI may or may not be a little longer. :boggled:

My brother wanted one super bad, was always browsing autotrader and such for deals was his "realistic dream car"... then he sat in it at a car show and never talked about it again. He said it just felt way too cheap.

If he wrote the car off that easily, it was probably never his dreamcar in the first place...

Have Japanese cars ever been known for their high quality interiors? the only Japanese manufacturer I know of that makes a nice looking interior is Mazda.

And if he feels this is way too cheap, then he hasn't been in many cars at all...

If he wrote the car off that easily, it was probably never his dreamcar in the first place...

Have Japanese cars ever been known for their high quality interiors? the only Japanese manufacturer I know of that makes a nice looking interior is Mazda.

And if he feels this is way too cheap, then he hasn't been in many cars at all...
It felt cheaper than the Micra. I think the only car that felt cheaper was Chevys budget option.

Either way, he now works in the construction industry, but even the guys in the office need to have trucks apparently or everyone makes fun of you.

Yes. Perhaps most notably... um... Toyota.
Yes and no.

Toyota has never been known for the "perceived quality" of its interiors - things like soft and squidgy plastics, nice textures, the things that people rave about in (German-built) Volkswagens etc.

Toyota has always been known for the actual quality of its interiors though, or more specifically the build quality - how well potentially slightly nasty plastics are actually screwed into place, and how every switch still works three decades after Toyota built the thing.

In this respect, the GT86 is like any other Toyota. The interior doesn't "feel" that great, but having driven loads of the things now, I've never had any complaints about the way it's actually put together. I don't doubt that it's built to last, even if it isn't all touchy-feely (and no Toyota ever has been touchy-feely inside).

It's certainly nowhere near as bad as people are making out, unless the ones you get are built in Mexico or something. It's not bad enough that I even think about the interior quality for more than about 15 seconds after climbing in, mainly because one of the most important things in any car interior - the driving position - is absolutely spot-on.

Yes and no.

Toyota has never been known for the "perceived quality" of its interiors - things like soft and squidgy plastics, nice textures, the things that people rave about in (German-built) Volkswagens etc.

Toyota has always been known for the actual quality of its interiors though, or more specifically the build quality - how well potentially slightly nasty plastics are actually screwed into place, and how every switch still works three decades after Toyota built the thing.

In this respect, the GT86 is like any other Toyota. The interior doesn't "feel" that great, but having driven loads of the things now, I've never had any complaints about the way it's actually put together. I don't doubt that it's built to last, even if it isn't all touchy-feely (and no Toyota ever has been touchy-feely inside).

It's certainly nowhere near as bad as people are making out, unless the ones you get are built in Mexico or something. It's not bad enough that I even think about the interior quality for more than about 15 seconds after climbing in, mainly because one of the most important things in any car interior - the driving position - is absolutely spot-on.

Thank you! That's pretty much spot on what I was thinking of.

It felt cheaper than the Micra. I think the only car that felt cheaper was Chevys budget option.

Either way, he now works in the construction industry, but even the guys in the office need to have trucks apparently or everyone makes fun of you.

That's a bit dramatic. I've driven a basic Aygo, and that felt cheap.

When K worked at a Subaru dealer, my coworkers hated it. They didn't get why it had no backseat space, why there was no turbo, why it didn't have leather. They questioned , why make this car, when the WRX/STI do everything and everything much faster.

I like the interior, legroom, gauges. It's all about people's different tastes.

They didn't get why it had no backseat space, why there was no turbo, why it didn't have leather. They questioned , why make this car, when the WRX/STI do everything and everything much faster.
Love this mentality. WHY MAKE SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM THE OTHER THING? I'm at a loss as to why Ford bothers making the Fiesta when they sell a perfectly good Mustang.

Lexus takes a lot of pride in keeping its interiors (particularly, those with wood options) in high quality. Our upcoming LS will definitely set a bar.

Passenger gets the cheap seat, ay?;)

:D Just being practical. I had a driving coach once who was about 6'4" and 260-lbs. I still had the stock seats in the car at the time so it was fine, but there is no way he would have fit in that drivers seat, and I'm not exactly a small guy myself. The passenger seat is an extra-large/extra wide.

For what it's worth, I think the stock seats in the GT 86/FR-S/BRZ, are among the best seats I've ever sat in, in any sports car. Materials and longevity may have been a bit lacking compared to the quality standard of other makes, but the design and fit and positioning was top-notch. People complain about this car for every reason under the sun, some legitimate, some outlandish considering it's purposeful nature. But the fact is, there's a lot that they got very right.

Yes and no.

Easy with the Mexican build quality comments. Many cars sold in North America are built in Mexico and almost universally they are on par with European/USA equivalents in terms of build quality.

I've never cared too much about the tactile quality of plastics in an interior. I don't often grope by dashboard. For me design and durability are far more important. I'm going to look at it more than anything. The 86 twins feel like there was a big design concept that got heavily value engineered. The dash just has weird elements, especially where it meets the door panels....it just looks unresolved. Professionally, I'm a designer, so unresolved design elements drive me crazy. There are many in the 86 platform.

Easy with the Mexican build quality comments. Many cars sold in North America are built in Mexico and almost universally they are on par with European/USA equivalents in terms of build quality.
I'm thinking mainly of Volkswagens and Fiats, both of which seem to be significantly below-par compared to their equivalents in Europe.

So here we have the WRX STI Type RA which has been on a diet and given a power boost (total power output stands at 310hp)...
2018-subaru-wrx-sti-type-ra.jpg

...And the BRZ tS, where all the hardware is improved apart from what sits under the hood.
2018-subaru-brz-ts.jpg

It's an ugly beastie but looking forward to finding out more about the drivetrain. The concept of a car with a chassis as good as the GT86 but hybrid-style efficiency is quite appealing.

Matt black. How very 2015.

The only reason i can think why they've gone down that route with the nose treatment (and maybe the colour) is as a nod towards the 222D Group B/S that never was.

Matt black. How very 2015.

The only reason i can think why they've gone down that route with the nose treatment (and maybe the colour) is as a nod towards the 222D Group B/S that never was.
There's a bit of that, though I think they're claiming inspiration from the LMP1 stuff as well.

Back