Scottish Premier League and Cup thread

Meerkitten
Keefley
Don't know how many people here know what this is but I thought it would be interesting to see what people think.

Discuss recent results or events here.

So, Rangers - the most successful Scottish team in the history of the sport - face an uncertain future today. Currently in administration, they face the distinct possibility of liquidation. On top of their financial woes, Rangers also face numerous other issues, including allegations of illegal player contracts, tax evasion, and allegations of impropriety in the club's recent takeover (and sale of future season tickets).

It all adds up to an unprecedented crisis - a club the size (and stature) of Rangers imploding could have huge consequences for Scottish football, and perhaps further afield. Interesting times in the SPL, that's for sure.

If Rangers go down the SPL will be nothing, half the revenue of the SPL probably comes from the whole Celtic/Rangers thing. Scottish football is such a shambles. :P

I had the misfortune of being invited round to my girlfriend's nan's house to watch the Old Firm game over the Christmas period. Bored wasn't the word for it. Would rather have watched Leicester v Wolves, or something.

All I know is that Celtic fans are in heaven right now. My Scottish coworker is a huge Celtic fan and is loving Rangers misfortune. The thing is I told him, if Rangers go away, Celtic will dominate the league and without that competition... the league will drop drastically.

All I know is that Celtic fans are in heaven right now. My Scottish coworker is a huge Celtic fan and is loving Rangers misfortune. The thing is I told him, if Rangers go away, Celtic will dominate the league and without that competition... the league will drop drastically.

Exactly - while I can understand why many Celtic fans will be happy with Rangers plight, I also happen to think it is extremely short-sighted and rather pathetic. Celtic have reacted angrily to claims that they 'need' Rangers to be successful themselves, but it doesn't seem to occur to them that the SPL will become a total farce (as opposed to being almost a total farce, as it is now) with no competition whatsoever. They may not specifically need Rangers, but they sure as hell need someone to challenge them... Celtic themselves are in decline as a result of having only one other decent team to challenge them domestically - so why do they think they'll not be worse off when that team is gone?

Hearts beat Celtic 2-1 in the Scottish Cup semi-final today, bringing about an all-Edinburgh final for the first time in 116 years!

And the Champions League comes to Fir Park :D

and we'll probably get put out in the qualifying rounds by some wee diddy team from Eastern Europe or Scandanavia

But Champions League. I can hear the music already...

An all Edinburgh cup final?... Motherwell in the Champions League?...

Rangers should go bust more often :D

Seriously, though - if (and that's as big an if as the forum software will allow!) Motherwell could qualify, it could mean a big change in their fortunes, and with Rangers unable to sign any new players (and facing the real possibility of not even being in the SPL next season), Motherwell could have a good shot at 2nd place in next year's SPL.

It is a great pity that it takes something as negative as the misfortune of a club like Rangers to shake the SPL up a bit, but every cloud as they say...

Hello?

images

*blows cobwebs off thread*

So two massive developments in Scottish football in one day - I just hope this thread doesn't become so popular in the next few hours that the servers keel over under the massive amount of traffic - apologies in advance to Jordan if that happens :nervous:

Firstly, Hearts have put their entire squad up for sale - while blaming supporters for not buying enough season tickets. Hearts now look set to go into administration, and in all likelihood, they will vanish from the SPL. It is sad but not unexpected - however the statement by the Board, effectively blaming everyone but themselves, is an outrageous insult to all of the club's faithful supporters and anyone with a brain for that matter.

In other news, the SPL and SFL have merged to become... wait for it... the SPFL, which will see a radical restructuring of the national league system from the tired old 12-10-10-10 format with one relegation/promotion to the top level each year to a shiny new 12-10-10-10 format with a playoff system between four clubs determining promotion and relegation each between the top tier and the second tier.

These pauses are intended to allow you to catch your breath again after such an exciting announcement...

So, Hearts are going under, and heading for the 3rd Division - but the SPFL looks set to be as exciting as ever, provided all 42 clubs can remain in business beyond July that is.

I live in Inverness. Caley are at the top of the table. Everyone's going mental.

You'd think they've won the league.

Back