'Scramjet' plane is aming for 7,200 mph, Mach 10

Viper Zero
Have Blue was the prototype for the F-117. Tacit Blue was the first test aircraft for stealth technology.

What Viper said is more accurate, although the technology developed, was later used in the F117. I've also seen it spelt both ways.

Blue is the distinctive angular panel approach, green was the more curvy blended wing type, as seen on the B2.

Flew fast and blew up big things.

I liek to think that the USAF is re-working planes like in Dale Brown's Dreamland Series. But I doubt it.

How many puppies did we kill in that thread by saying Area 51? Area 51...I think it was quite alot.

Area 51 Area 51 Area 51 Area 51 Area 51 Area 51 Area 51 Area 51 Area 51 Area 51

xcsti
I hate to do this to you sage but.....

mph is not a measurement of acceleration. Maybe miles per hour per minute, or the easier one, m/ss (meters per second squared). But we all get your point.

Edit: I believe people start pass out at about six G's, but wasn't there a guy who was used on rocket sleds to see what a human could withstand in terms of acceleration and deceleration. I believe they put him much higher than double digits. A cart driver crashed last year and the black box recorded something like 200 G's, he became gooified.

I'd like to see a picture of the cart driver.

Is that an urban myth? David Purley crashed his F1 car in 1977 at Silverstone - 120mph-0 in 55cm - and was calculated at 179.8G. He survived - after breaking every bone in his body and having three heart attacks on the way to hospital - to later die in a plane crash.

He is in the Guinness Book of Records for enduring the highest known G-force.

theyre going to crash it in teh sea like the old one. so if i went and found it, could i keep it? i could have my own scram! that would be cool, i wonder if i could modify it

uhh no the xb70 didnt blow up stuff, it was an experimental plane for getting to mach 3 in the 60s, reached just a tad under the SR-71's speed, the wings folded down and a noseramp came up like the thing on concorde for higher speed
av1_nasa_bw_65.gif

s-in-flight2.jpg

this was to be its last flight, the other planes were asked to close up for a publicity shot, an F-104 got sucked into the vortex created by the bigger planes downturned wingtips, the XB-70 lifted the F-104 over her back, spun the Starfighter around 180 degrees, causing it to smash down along the center of the Valkyrie's wing, tearing off both vertical stabilizers and damaging the left wingtip before falling away in flames.
XB70-fire-wh.jpg

XB_70_spin2_1.jpg

shame, at least 2 were made, one survives in the Wright-Patterson museum in Dayton, Ohio, so there it is, the xb-70

The Valkyrie (XB-70) was one of the sole reasons that the MiG-25 was developed. The Russians were highly worried about a Mach 3 capable bomber, as at the time their Interceptors were only nudging just over Mach 2...

The XB-70 surely has to be one of the most amazing airplanes to fly, just it's size alone, let alone its speed.

Now back to the 'Area', isn't there still occasional reports of 'multiple sonic booms' around that neck of the woods. Sometimes reports are for as many as 5, indicating something has just broken the Mach 5 barrier. The now 'retired' SR-71 Blackbird was the USAF's quickest bird at a little over Mach 3...

It wouldn't surprise me that somethings being developed behind closed doors, until it flys at night that is... ;)

hellnback
Now back to the 'Area', isn't there still occasional reports of 'multiple sonic booms' around that neck of the woods. Sometimes reports are for as many as 5, indicating something has just broken the Mach 5 barrier. The now 'retired' SR-71 Blackbird was the USAF's quickest bird at a little over Mach 3...

It wouldn't surprise me that somethings being developed behind closed doors, until it flys at night that is... ;)

Of course they're developing things behind closed doors. It's a military research base - which I'll be referring to as Nellis from this point on. It's in the middle of nowhere which means that they can have a nice, long runway and plenty of uninhabited space to do high speed runs over (it's prohibited to break Mach over populated areas). And also lots of flat places to perform safe emergency landings if required.

What's unlikely is that it's a big alien laboratory with crashed spaceships and silver-eyed dwarfs - everyone knows where it is, so it's not a lot of use storing ultra-secret bug-eyed monsters there. Russian birds - and others, frankly - can keep an eye on Nellis at all times, due to it being in the middle of nowhere, so as soon as anything is transported on the ground, anyone with a satellite can see it. If it's a plane, big wow. If it's a 500 foot wide triangle, people will notice. Bang, there goes the big secret about aliens.

Ergo Nellis is not the place of legend - the mythical "Region LI" (see what I did there?).

Unless I work for the British FBI, in which case I could be lying. Eh? EH?

That is one of the most amazing things I have seen. I watched a whole special on the Discovery channel or Discovery wings or something like that and it was really cool how they got the engine to work. The air enters the engine so fast that they had alot of trouble keeping it lit.( the flame would keep going out) Just think that about 100 years ago we were flying at 9 mph and now we are going mach 10+. Can't wait for the next 50 years.

According to the logarithmic scale warp is based on, infinite velocity.

To put it another way, at Warp 10 you would occupy every point in the universe simultaneously.

Latest Posts

Back