Scrooge does GT 4 Part III: 50 to 75.0% on 153,085 credits (207k from 0%)

• Thread starter Mr.Slow
  • 44 comments
Mr.Slow
Right on!
When i did it I got between 140 and 150 per race. I guess it depends on the lineup. The hardest one was Infineon against the MX5 and the MR2 at the same time.

I won by 0.016!

My most difficult was Motegi as the Speedsters are a little to evil as they always get 6 seconds ahead if they get the chance.

Those races are easy to win as long as the Speedster is 3rd or below on the grid

BAH HUMBUG! THEY WON'T LET ME GET TO 75%!!!
Scrooge was annoyed for a few days after he found out that he would probably not to make it to 75% having spent less than 150k all up. He had a few races that he hadn't won but at 71.9% he was going to need more than a few to reach 75%. He could do the Ice races but that entailed a 20k+ purchase of snow tires and would still not get him to 75% (only to 73.5) and would put him pretty much put him over the 150k mark. He moped around in a deep depression and Ms. Nevershops had to get his therapist to pay him a house visit. After a few very long sessions (which he convinced his therapist to do pro-bono) he finally got himself to formulate a plan. His new goal was to get to 75% spending as little as possible over 150k. That meant leaving the ice races for later. Of course he was aware he'll have to spend that money anyway... but at least he had something to look for and Ms. Nevershops was happy he was bathing again!

This is what he did since the last update

Real Circuits Tour
Race 12 of the F1 Championship (changed the settings on the suspension)
Sports Car Lounge
Like the Wind race (may do a write up on that one, the most fun he had whilst recovering from depression:-) )
Civic Races. Yeah, had to buy a car. But even after putting a turbo on it was less than half than a set of snow tires!

Note: See post #1 for the updated total $ and post #2 for the updated race diary

yeah dude I got womped on Suzuka my first try w/ the 80s festival. Rocking a Supra turbo from the 80's. My question is (hope it wasn't already answered) is what did you use for the GT World Championship? the Jag race car you get at 50%? I attempted the series with that car, gave up, and bought the R8 race car.

Mr.Slow
I haven't used the 110s in any race. What is it like to drive?
If you say it doesn't like the Nurb, it sound to me like it understeers a lot. Correct?
More oversteer hey, To compete with the Buick and AC Cobra, I had to fully mod out the 110S... Very powerfull on the rear wheels... Plus I think my suspension was too hard because it went all over the show at the slightest bump in the road (And Nurb has plenty bumps)

STD it's actually quite cool, but won't win the classic if any of the cars I mention in my last post are their...

STD it handles great and has good power/weight ratio (Rotary, what can I say).

P.S. Sorry for late reply, hehe

After much agonizing Scrooge is at 74.5% and managed to blow 13k credits on the March brothers race unnecessarily. You can't fault the guy for thinking he could get away with Turbo 1 (4500) as it was enough for the first two races. But the third one required turbo 2 which he resisted to no avail (wasting 9500 on r1 tires in the process)....

He needs 3 races to complete 75%. He could do the GC Hard (2 races and he has already got a car for it) and maybe throw some $ on the MX-5 to win the remaining Japan 80's race... Or he could put $12k on the Suzuky S2 and hope he beats all three of the Concept Races.

Tough choice. The CG Hard rallies will take a while and will cost $0 but the MX-5 will probably need more than $12k as it already has turbo 2 and he is loosing by 5 seconds.

With a current total of 182k he is not keep on spending $ on the Mx-5 as he is really keen to get to 75% on less than 200k. He may be able to find a nice used fairlady for less than 18k but there is no assurances he'll wiin the race (and he will have to do the dreaded GC Hard races)....

It looks like he won't get any sleep tonight!

DONE BUT NOT HAPPY
Scrooge decided to go for the Suzuki concept races so he did a little bit of testing and forked the 12k for the NA2 tune. That got him trhough the first two races but the third one was his stumbling block. Those little GSR4 thinngies have too much weight advantage over the S2 and even in a field with only one GSR4 the best he could manage was 2nd a full 9.5 seconds behind...

He took a break and ended up spending so much money he blew past the 200k mark.... Won the race (R2s were the deciding factor). He is totally worn out and stressed out... thinking of stopping here as his weak haeart cannot take the sight of money coming out of his wallet.

He'll update the main post and the race diary later.... when he gets over the hangover he's planning to give himself thisafternoon to try and forget how much he went over 200k by... :-)

Very interesting and entertaining. Quick question, why don't you go back and get all silver on your licenses? Would you get any useful cars from that, or would it not do you any good? It's not that hard to get silver, I went back and did it in a few hours one day. If it won't do any good don't bother, just something I noticed :) Nice job, and it might inspire me to do something similar :)

JTSnooks, the only license I don't have silver on is the Super (Special) license. I didn't even try because I didn't think the prize (Pontiac Solstice) would be needed once I started winning races with the other license test cars.

I used the license cars a lot, The Kusabi, Nismo 270, GT-R concept and the Cougar mainly were the key to do a lot of the early races. But once you start winning other cars you hardly ever use them. With the exception of the GT-R Concept which I used for one of the endurance races and a few other races after the 50% mark. It is always a pleasure to drive 👍

Of the Gold License cars I only ever felt the need for the S500 but ended up not getting it and simply learned to drive the Autobianchi. And obviously the Model T would be useless...

Took me a while but finally updated the total cost and diary (posts #1 & #2).

Started on the last 25% a few days ago and have already spent more than the 150k I spent on the 50-75% part and have only done 0.5%!!!! Scrooge wasn't happy that the cheapest SL he could find was 110K.....

That's the secondhand one, right? If you have a spare savegame, you ought to test the cost-effectiveness of the different SLs... if you have to spend the extra for an SL600, then better to do it first time out.

Yes, that was the SL600.

I did a little shopping around before buying it and concluded that since the cheapest new one was about 120k and was still a good 200hp under the SL55 & 65 (not to mention about $70k) I would do OK if I could win for less than $140k.

As it turned out all I had to buy were tyres and one engine upgrade so the total cost was about 130k. I am 95+% sure it could not be done any cheaper.

But since I did not actually buy a new SL500 (120k) I don't know what upgrades would have been necessary... and I don't have another card... I am just as much of a cheapskate in real life! :-)

Back