Scrooge does GT4 Part 1: 0 to 25% on 4,000 cr.

• Thread starter Mr.Slow
  • 91 comments
Great idea, Mr Scrooge. I'm giving it a go myself (about 33% done atm) and was wondering what Scrooge's opinions are on B-Spec? To be honest I don't want to spend 24 hours on the Nurburgring and Le Mans races...

I'd have thought B-Spec would be OK, since you don't need to pay him wages...?

amp88
I'd have thought B-Spec would be OK, since you don't need to pay him wages...?

LOL!

Scrooge is of two minds on this at the moment: On the one side he didn't want to B-Spec anything so he thought B-Spec Bob was just an usurper who needed to be banned from touching his hard earned cars. Plus he has read that B-Spec Bob is quite the spoiled driver and more often than not ends up costing thousands of credits on car upgrades to ensure a win on the really long races (The guy doesn't seem to be any good driving stock cars on N3 tires!)

But after A-Specing 1/2 of the 1000 mile euro hall series he has been tempted on more than one ocasion to let the usurper take over the boring job of finishing a race which he is leading by 10+ minutes. However, B-Spec Bob has 0 points all around so Scrooge gets wallet pangs and decides to continue driving and try to improve the fastest lap times (Currently 1:56.6xx on lap 68/99 at the Cote D'Azur race).

Scrooge is indeed torn inside. The options (after finishing the 1000 mile series) are (would be at 41.2% by then) :
1. Bite the bullet and let Bob run the endurance races. It may be possible to win them without expense since there are quite a few 'overkill' cars in the garage already (including the M34 prize one)... but you never know.
2. Bite the bullet and buy snow/dirt tires and do all those (relatively) easy rallies.
3. Bite the bullet and learn to drive the Alpine (what a fishtailing beast it is) for the alpine race.
4. Bite the bullet and try to win the british lightweight cup with the Ginnetta (that will take a while!)
5. Be a harda$$ and A-spec the enduros....

Bottom line: Scrooge hasn't warmed up to B-spec Bob yet. Maybe by the end of the 1000 mile series they'll be in speaking terms. As long as Bob doesn't demand a investment of more then $50 (oil change) to win the 24hr races he may yet become one of Scrooge's best buddies! :sly:

Mr.Slow
LOL!

Bottom line: Scrooge hasn't warmed up to B-spec Bob yet. Maybe by the end of the 1000 mile series they'll be in speaking terms. As long as Bob doesn't demand a investment of more then $50 (oil change) to win the 24hr races he may yet become one of Scrooge's best buddies! :sly:

Basically, Scrooge can train Bob for free in the family cup races. :dopey: I'm sure he'll be more than happy to give it a try.

Just a suggestion for your B-Spec driver name - Bob Cratchit

Just make sure to make him work hard, long hours!

Keep us updated as you continue towards completion - even though it seems you will have to purchase a couple cars I look forward to your miserly choices. :)

After i won the F1 Championship id got a little bored of gt4 but scrooge ive also stolen your idea lol

Im also gonna try and go as far as physically possible without doing anything at all, no tires, no oil, no nothing!!

Best thing is i got golds in the B and A licences which i hadnt on my other game!

aikawa
hey buddy ur a gt4 freak.. get a life

Dunno if that is a complement or an insult... I always wanted to get 'GTFreak' status in my avatar. But I don't post enough (Only 2-3 per day).

And I would have thought that being a tightar$$e with the money was a 'valid' lifestyle choice... :)

Defkon
Basically, Scrooge can train Bob for free in the family cup races. :dopey: I'm sure he'll be more than happy to give it a try.

Dude, you just killed any chances Bob had of driving the rest of the 1000 miles (just started race 4)!

Scrooge thanks your very much for your suggestion. Now is off to look for a 'slightly' used racing suit for Bob at the Salvation Army clothing store
:)

Indoctrin
After i won the F1 Championship id got a little bored of gt4 but scrooge ive also stolen your idea lol

Im also gonna try and go as far as physically possible without doing anything at all, no tires, no oil, no nothing!!

Best thing is i got golds in the B and A licences which i hadnt on my other game!

Best of luck!

Just remember that Scrooge was weak in blowing those 4,000 credits in the first 25%.

Ragnar1211
Just a suggestion for your B-Spec driver name - Bob Cratchit

Just make sure to make him work hard, long hours!

Keep us updated as you continue towards completion - even though it seems you will have to purchase a couple cars I look forward to your miserly choices. :)

Mr Cratchit it is!

Scrooge almost fainted after reading your post... it reminded him he has to buy a Shelby Cobra... definetely more than $50 credits... ouch!
:ouch:

Well, Bob Cratchit could very well be joining the team permanently!

Last night Scrooge had a bit of a scheduling problem with his on again/ off again girlfriend the lovely (but TV Hogging) Mz. NeverShops. She sweet talked him into staying in and watching some free-to-air TV. He couldn't resist a cheap date but it broke the racing schedule. By the time she was done with Scrooge it was quite late and he was in no shape to do even a couple of hours of an enduro.

He could have waited until this morning but he really wanted to find out if the enduros gave a different increase in the % complete so he picked up the RC89 and headed to the speedway to dispatch the quickest of the enduros (Speedway 150). He had the pace allright but the stock tires (Racing Soft) were an utter dissapointment forcing him to pit almost 3 times as much as the competition. So going .06 seconds faster per lap didn't make up for loosing 25+ seconds pitting every 11 laps... abandoning was the only choice.

Tired and dissapointed he decided to give Cratchit a go. "Maybe I am too tired or maybe I just don't know anything about this oval driving business" he thought. He tossed the keys to Bob and let him have a go. Bob didn't have any more success: also pitting every 11 laps he was a tiny bit faster than Scrooge when on setting 5 and Overtake were on but never more than .8 of a second faster than the competition.

Bob begged Scrooge for another chance and managed to exploit Scrooge's burning desire to find out about the % awarded for the enduros. So Scrooge fished around for a car/race combo and blew 15 cr on practice sessions for the Ring. He worked out that the Option Stream was a sure thing on the 4 hour Ring enduro. Bob got his wish.

During practice Bob could do a 7:13 on '5 & overtake' and a 7:30 on '3'. Scrooge, in all his tiredness could do a 7:14 pushing a little and a 7:27 on a relaxed pace. Since the competition was doing 8:15+ Scrooge did the first two laps (overtaking everybody) , pitted and let Bob loose. After watching him for 4-5 laps Scrooge was convinced the race was in the bag so he left Bob alone to earn his stripes.

After collecting the prize money and car, Scrooge was dismayed to find out that the % complete only went up by 0.2%. Also realizing that he was only at 41.2 instead of 41.4 as expected due to the 1000 miles series being 4 races instead of 5; he decided to call the Lawyer and have him prepare a driving contract for Mr.Cratchit...

Bob's career is looking up!

That is the first time I have seen a lap time that is faster with a 5 setting then a 3 setting.

I hardly ever use the 5 setting, my driver seems to work best when he is laid back and relaxed. But given this is Mr. Crachit's first job for you I am sure he is just brown nosing! :)

I got Steve [McQueeen] to do a few races for me to get me up to 40.2%, before I gave in and bought a couple of cars to finish off the beginner races (and therefore get into the Gran Turismo World Championship). There were a few races left for me to do, but I think probably 42-43% will be the max it's possible to do before buying another car or dirt/snow tyres...

Here's my 40.2% 0 Credit spent status screen

Looking at the screen there are a few strange coincidences. I'd won 200 trophies at the time and exactly half the days completed were spent in races (206 races out of 412 days).

:)

Nice!

I got to 41.7 before buying the first "real" upgrade (don't really count the 4000 cr blown in the 0-25% part). Could have possible gone further but I think you are correct about the limit. The only races left for me to do without spending money were the endurance races of which I did one and let Cratchit do three. Since each enduro is only the standard 1.7-2% and I know there is at least one (speedway 150) that I can't do without better tires, that leaves 11 races that would give me about 2% at most. The maximum would be 43.7 and if I could tame the damn Alpine maybe a lucky 44%.

Looking at your status screen and comparing it to Scrooge's I see a few interesting things (Besides the fact you managed a $0 bill) that are obviouly the result of the order in which races have been run:

1. You have won 1 more car than Scrooge yet you have won ~1.5 million cr more!
2. Your B driver has done eight times as many miles as Scrooge's (5,740 vs 703) yet Mr. Cratchit has rankings of 2841/46/32/14 versus 811/12/6/8 of yours.
3. Scrooge has also spent half his days racing (roughly)! (919/470)
4. The combined total of your miles (A & B) is ~7600 and Scrooge's is ~3300. That is: You have done twice as many miles yet you have taken only (less than) half the time! (412 vs 919 days).

All in all a great effort mate!

Scrooge is jealous you managed 40% oon $0... he curses the day he was weak and tried to upgrade the Polo...

Is scrooge allowed to be paid for his work at say 100 credits a week, because then i think mr scrooge would be able to buy a nice cobra.

Also, is scrooge allowed to buy used cars very cheap.

Shame u cant sell cars online cos id sell him mine for free.

Oh, Scrooge gets to keep all the money. he just doesn't spend any!

As far as buying cars: Scrooge will eventually buy a car and it will probably be used :-). He is trying to get through the game spending the least amount of money. So he won't buy a $10,000 credits car new if he can get it cheaper used.

My progress has slowed down now in my no spending challenge.

Ive hit 21.7% and the only races i can now do with the cars i have are the Alpina Championship, Beginner Convertable, Beginner Lightweight, Pro Turbo, Pro Boxer and European 1000km. But i really cant be arsed with the Alpina and European races and the others i dont have cars that are good enough for.

So now im gonna start getting my IA license as when i run out of races i up the licence :D Im going for all silvers as all gold is to much for me to be bothered with!

I just did the beginner convertible with the Elan S1 I got in the Lotus classics. I did that one with the Lotus Europa I got in the British Lightweight. I did that one with the Ginetta I got from the beginner light weight. I did that one with the Autobianchi from Sunday Cup but I really had to learn how to drive that thing. The secret is to make sure you have to downshift into 2nd only when absolutely necessary (See my thread titled "The little Autobianchi that could").

So they all depend on doing the beginner lightweight.Oh... and you have to buy a turbo for the Ginetta... I coughed up the money for the turbo because I really didn't have more than a handful of races left that did not require spending money (Was at 40.7%)

I guess you don't have to do that for a while. Keep at it buddy. You are doing great!

P.S. you won't win the Alpine without either a turbo or better tires...

Mr.Slow
I know there is at least one (speedway 150) that I can't do without better tires, that leaves 11 races that would give me about 2% at most. The maximum would be 43.7 and if I could tame the damn Alpine maybe a lucky 44%.

If you B-Spec the Nurburgring 24 hours and get the F1 car, it has no problem in winning the speedway 150 miles enduro. The tyres don't last long, but even if you go around on fully red tyres you can still beat the rest of the field :)

Mr.Slow
Looking at your status screen and comparing it to Scrooge's I see a few interesting things (Besides the fact you managed a $0 bill) that are obviouly the result of the order in which races have been run:

1. You have won 1 more car than Scrooge yet you have won ~1.5 million cr more!
2. Your B driver has done eight times as many miles as Scrooge's (5,740 vs 703) yet Mr. Cratchit has rankings of 2841/46/32/14 versus 811/12/6/8 of yours.
3. Scrooge has also spent half his days racing (roughly)! (919/470)
4. The combined total of your miles (A & B) is ~7600 and Scrooge's is ~3300. That is: You have done twice as many miles yet you have taken only (less than) half the time! (412 vs 919 days).

Yeah, I noticed the main differences too. I used B-Spec for basically all but the 150 miles speedway and nurburgring 4 hour enduros. I just don't have the time to spend 24 hours on them. My current B-Spec mileage is huge (about 10,000 miles IIRC), since all the enduros are now done.

Mr.Slow
All in all a great effort mate!

Scrooge is jealous you managed 40% oon $0... he curses the day he was weak and tried to upgrade the Polo...

Cheers. And thanks to you for the inspiration 👍

>If you B-Spec the Nurburgring 24 hours and get the F1 car, it has no problem in winning the speedway 150 miles enduro. The tyres don't last long, but even if you go around on fully red tyres you can still beat the rest of the field

Thanks for the tip. I am now doing all the enduros. Mostly letting Cratchit do them for the same reasons as you. Done 5 or 6. Cratchit is running the Motegi 8 hour (9 hour?) right now while I am 'busy' at work :sly: I only get involved in the first stint to try and make sure we come out of the pits still in 1st place because Cratchit has the bad habit of not overtaking the 2nd place unless I stand over his shoulder and tell him to. Also, I can lap up to 8 seconds faster than him when he is on setting 3 and 4 in setting 4. So If I wanna make sure the field stays lapped I just jump in once or twice and do a super fast stint.

Just passed 45% two days ago only having bought a turbo for the ginetta, a turbo for the Alpine and wasting some money in unnecessary weight reductions for both those cars. If I recall correctly the total stands at around 15,000 cr for the 25-50% phase so far.

Mr.Slow
Scrooge almost fainted after reading your post... it reminded him he has to buy a Shelby Cobra... definetely more than $50 credits... ouch!
:ouch:
Why would Scrooge want a Cobra? He could buy a perfectly good Series 1 for 150k or there abouts!

Keep it up mate, It's good to know that you're keeping your head straight up and go on, very interesting it is to read how you conquer with no money spending.

Sorry my english mate, cheers :)

Moloch_horridus
Why would Scrooge want a Cobra? He could buy a perfectly good Series 1 for 150k or there abouts!

Because you need one to part take in the Cobra Cup (Manufacturer event) and get to 100%.

As long as the Series 1 is enought to win at the Cobra Cup then you can bet Scrooge will be considering it. 👍

Sampyla23
Keep it up mate, It's good to know that you're keeping your head straight up and go on, very interesting it is to read how you conquer with no money spending.

Sorry my english mate, cheers :)

Thanks for the encouragement mate!

The biggest mistake I've made so far is when I was getting a car for the Supercar Festival. You need an "unmodified" car with normal or sports tyres and over 493bhp. I never had anything in the garage that fit the criteria, so I had to open the wallet. I decided that I would have to buy something good enough to win the championship, so I bought a TVR Tamora for 70k (ouch!). After spending a shedload getting it up to over 493bhp, I entered the race. I got my bottom firmly booted. What I ended up doing was using the TVR to do the Blackpool Racers TVR race to win the Speed 12, then use that to win the Supercar Festival. In hindsight, it would have been a better idea to buy a used TVR Griffith for about 30k, use that to win the TVR Blackpool Racers, then use the Speed 12 for the Supercar Festival. That way you're spending 30k instead of the 150 or so I spent :(

amp88
In hindsight, it would have been a better idea to buy a used TVR Griffith for about 30k, use that to win the TVR Blackpool Racers, then use the Speed 12 for the Supercar Festival. That way you're spending 30k instead of the 150 or so I spent :(

Agreed. I beat the TVR races with a stock Griffith. The only time I had trouble was when the speed 12 was in front of me in the line up. If he was behind me I could block him from passing.

Keep up the good work guys.

I just started doing the supercar festival with the NSX LM road car you get in the Motegi 8 hour endurance race. I was suprised when it was allowed to enter but at 535HP (I think) and with Sport Tires standard I could not help but try. I have done two races (Seoul and Fuji 90's). Seoul took two tries (and making sure tha the zzz and the cien were not in the lineup) ,Fuji was much easier as the AI couldn't handle the big HP in the not so tight turns of the Fuji 90's (lots of fishtailing).

I have done some reading on this compo and it seems that the next few races favour raw speed so I am a little concerned that the NSX will get whooped badly by the Cien, Tommy or the zzz...

Back