Searching For Evidence of Hidden Things

• Thread starter HACKr
  • 3,353 comments
I think they just switched them for new models. It easy as that. Missing SSR11 is more interesting as to why they scrapped it. Possibly didnt have the time to remade it to GT2 ''palette''.
Also cars on dirt didnt make as much of ''smoke'' behind them in few shots and obviously it was all GT1 engine so far.

I think they just switched them for new models. It easy as that. Missing SSR11 is more interesting as to why they scrapped it. Possibly didnt have the time to remade it to GT2 ''palette''.

No, they used it for physics test.

Last edited:
All we can do right now about assets that just went missing between builds is speculate. The Mustang could be a licensing matter, or something completely different. Same for the CLK-GTR that people often bring up. Nobody outside of those working on the game in 1999 knows what got SSR11 axed either. There's no definitive answer for any of these questions.

Edit: lucky 3333rd message for me :sly:

Last edited:
I was just browsing the GT2 section at The Cutting Room Floor website and found this picture of an early version of the Special Events menu. I noticed something interesting - if you look at the "4 door luxury sedan" entry, you'll see the outline of a car, which (I'm 99% sure) is a W124 Mercedes, perhaps a 500E. The 500E was and is quite famous in Japan, there is even a special club devoted to this car and it is actually quite large, especially if you consider MB only built ca.10 500 of these (I think it has at least a hundred members or more).
So I wonder if they chose this unintentionally or were they going to add the 500E in the game, but ended up not doing so.
GT2-NTSC-J-v1.0-eng-2FA.png

Last edited:
Global Compact one kinda looks like a mashup of a few cars. Mk3/Mk4 Fiesta's back, Mk4 Golf's side, and something else's front - can't pinpoint that one specifically.

World Open Sports Car also looks interesting. Kinda Honda Beat vibes, but not exactly.

The W124 also looks to be one of the more plain versions, instead of the 500E.

Last edited:
That IGN article is full of nonsense like listing the CLK-GTR as confirmed content, and using the old 'Plam Strip' and 'Eiger Path' names, despite writing two days after the Japanese version of the game had been mastered for release with none of that in.

And rally courses like Roma Night or Test Drive or Roma Short :)

EDIT:
not exactly a hidden thing, but the whistle of this R32 sounds the same as GT2 turbo

Last edited:
I don't remember in which version of the game exactly, but one of the descriptions for the Polo 1.4 16v mentions the G40 quite extensively.

Nope. Besides the few screencaps on various websites, the car has never had any data in any known builds of GT2.

Last edited:
We don't have any proof this was ever in a build of the game. It sure looks like it, but they could very well be computer renders set in a similar way. One thing for sure, if this car ever was in any build we could theoretically have access to eventually, it would only have a chance to be on the E3 '99 build that's still eluding us.

Bump with an interesting discovery (at least for the three or four license test fans on this website). As it turns out, the "Test Drive" demo of GT2 has a functional license game mode, and there are early renditions of five B-License tests in the data. The courses exist in two earlier demos, but the game mode itself doesn't. Here's a run through all "10" tests (5 unique, 5 placeholder duplicates of B-7):

Back