Searching For Evidence of Hidden Things

• Thread starter HACKr
  • 3,353 comments
Sorry but that's not "new" per se. It might not be widely known but every car sounds has NA and T variants. In GT2, they rarely sound the same. And if the engine doesn't have any car that use it tat's either T or NA, the unused type will have its sounds replaced by a short beep file (that's the UFO sound the Demio A-spec has, as it lacks T sounds).
Other cars such as a Civic SiR, both AE86 models, the Demio, the RB25 cars (such as in your video) and some others have dual type sounds like this ^^

Sorry but that's not "new" per se. It might not be widely known but every car sounds has NA and T variants. In GT2, they rarely sound the same. And if the engine doesn't have any car that use it tat's either T or NA, the unused type will have its sounds replaced by a short beep file (that's the UFO sound the Demio A-spec has, as it lacks T sounds).
Other cars such as a Civic SiR, both AE86 models, the Demio, the RB25 cars (such as in your video) and some others have dual type sounds like this ^^

This is really very interesting, especially because I didn't expect there to be other machines with standard sound that changes if the turbo is fitted. In the end I simply brought back something to which I had found strange.

It's been known for a while that japanese releases of GT often have some minor differences, but i found out 2 days ago that GT2's japanese release has different rally physics. See for yourselves~

EDIT: *the next day*
So thanks to yesterday's (above) discovery, i was able to determine what a flag that's specific to the Pike's Peak cars does!
Left side is vanilla, right side has the car modded to use the flag in question on its tire.

EDIT2: NOT A FLAG! Dum-dum me forgot what i was looking at wasn't a flag but a different tire compound. Yes, the PP cars have a unique tire compound. So this pretty much validates that the rally physics were changed as a whole in order to add more grip, and greatly reduces the effects of this compound. It still might give more grip, but it isn't as noticeable.

Last edited:
JP rally physics looks so much more fun.

Is the "flag" also present on the road tyres for Escudo/Cultus? I remember reading that these 2 cars have special tyres that provide more grip, which explains why they are faster than anything else in the game (e.g. GT-One Road Car has similar P2W to Escudo but considerably slower, even accounting for drivetrain difference).

Is the "flag" also present on the road tyres for Escudo/Cultus? I remember reading that these 2 cars have special tyres that provide more grip, which explains why they are faster than anything else in the game

No, they use normal tyre compounds for every other set, it's just that there are two sets of Dirt tyres, both of which are named 'Dirt'. The Cultus and Escudo get the second compound, everything else with dirt tyres gets the first.

Guys, I think Palm Strip (cut dragrace track) had to be a in-game version of the drag strip of the Palm Beach International Raceway in Florida https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_Beach_International_Raceway And I've found something interesting: Silvia Spec-R and Spec-R D-right have a bit different models. D-rights have a spoiler but there is no spoiler on the stock Spec-R.

As mentioned above, 'Palm Strip' is a mistaken correction of 'Plam Strip', which was a typo for 'Plum Strip', which was the original name for Apricot Hill. A track named 'Palm Strip' never existed, and Apricot Hill is exactly the same thing as Plum Strip (in the same way that Prawn Speedway became Grand Valley Speedway).

The license Silvia is the Spec R Aero, which does have a wing. It's completely identical to the normal Spec R Aero other than the D-Rights text and a different set of wheels from the Spec S.

At the very start of the video there is a clip showing a racing modified Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV GSR / Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV Rally Car with a yellow colour scheme. The car only comes with the white colour scheme in the final version of the game. All of the demo builds (Including the Test Drive Disc one) didn't even have the body finished, leading to the theory that this is a later build, right before the final version, perhaps given to reviewers.

unknown.png

Great find! Old turbo gauge, map doesnt have the black outline. But otherwise the HUD is finished (looks the same as in euro demos) and rally tracks shown seem to be done at that point.
Also there is strange engine sound similar to the Demio A-spec problem in the final game

Also Yellow Lancer was in GT1

Last edited:
Some quite interesting pre-release screenshots taken from the PlayStation Power #39 magazine, showcasing several never-seen-before screenshots, including a Mini Cooper 1.8i '98 on Special Stage Route 11 and a Toyota Corolla Rally Car '98 / Subaru Impreza driving on a night version of Safari Course (Beta Tahiti Dirt Route 3).

BookReaderImages.png

BookReaderImages.png

BookReaderImages.png

BookReaderImages.png

unknown.png

I cropped some a couple of images from those magazine pages just to talk about them.

I'm guessing this is where that earlier VW Mk.4 Golf model came from, the one hidden in the demos.
GT2 Beta - Golf.png

and this car stuck out to me. It looks like one of the normal Opel/Vauxhall Vectras that was scrapped. The only thing is that it lacks a spoiler like those vectras and has finished wheels.
GT2 Beta - Sedan.png

or maybe it's something else. I just don't know what.

View attachment 949024
which circuit is this? Beta Seattle, Rome?
That to me just looks like an earlier build of Seattle, the chicane and tire walls match the final section of the course.

You can see it's pretty early in development as the cars still have those GT1 style wheels. Also yeah, that Storia/Sirion screenshot is in early Seattle. It's fun to see how the tracks evolved throughout the time. It also seems that it's one of those builds that could've still had the D2 CLK-GTR. Remember those infamous shots? If I remember correctly, they were taken in like an early version of Rome Circuit that's kinda similar to the one from this magazine.

As for this picture:
gt2-beta-sedan-png.949026

I think it might actually be a Xsara.

I always assumed it was the Lexus IS200 / Altezza, but it might not be it. Xsara is less likely due to the cars ''posture'' than Vectra. But headlights are more to the Omega side.

I would love to see that superearly Seattle.

Hmm it does have the VX Vectra looks to it. Could be an early model, since the evo 5 in those shots also is an earlier model.
A lot of these cars made it to the released demos, that's why some still have the gt1-style texture on them.

Yeah, but that could be a model deformation, since both Evo Vs look a bit deformed in some screenshots.

Like the red one here:
upload_2020-8-14_18-59-31.png

Or the rally one here:
upload_2020-8-14_19-1-27.png

Or even this white Xsara here:
upload_2020-8-14_18-58-38.png

The front bumper and headlights look pretty Xsara-esque IMO, that's why I think that may be a Xsara, just in dark blue (even though you can't see the fog lights on the white Xsara's front bumper, maybe there were plans of multiple models of the car, if it's in fact a Xsara; kinda makes sense since there is that hidden race mod for it that was a 3-door and looked more like the actual kit car).

Last edited:
I think the deformation might come from the rough NTSC to PAL conversion. Just like in the old GT1 trailers from PS demo discs.

Yeah, but that could be a model deformation
Or even this white Xsara here:
upload_2020-8-14_18-58-38-png.949372

The front bumper and headlights look pretty Xsara-esque IMO, that's why I think that may be a Xsara, just in dark blue (even though you can't see the fog lights on the white Xsara's front bumper, maybe there were plans of multiple models of the car, if it's in fact a Xsara
Oh for sure, I get why you think that. I saw the similarities too, I was looking at screenshots of the Xsara in the final build of GT2 to compare to these and real life pictures of the Xsara. The thing is that the front bumper also gives me a vectra vibe.

With that said, it probably is an Xsara based on the fact I'm usually wrong.

Latest Posts

Back