Seasonal Events = Stupid Gameplay?

• Thread starter Crispy9001
  • 57 comments
I don't see the problem with discussing the game's issues in a civil manner. Talking about different aspects of the game, good or bad, is the point of this forum after all.

There are 1,000 cars in e game and we still see the same 100 cars every seasonal. It lacks depth. This aren't quick 2 lap races, so use what we have in the game. There are plenty of tuner cars yet to have a seasonal(as far as I know). If we have to "chase the rabbit", at least a double file start would keep the pack together for the first couple turns. Many people complain about SRF, would light damage be a better alternative? Maybe have Seasonals run with a maximum of 6 real people and 10 AI(it ain't happenin').

Can't understand what the problem for people is here.

These Seasonals allow many players to build up their bank account in able to purchase better cars etc etc, all the while gaining more experience behind the wheel.

Of course SRF negates some of that experience however it is still driving experience.

And finally of course, the obvious answer to all those dissatisfied with the way Seasonals work, ''''''''''just play online where you are racing against real people.'''''''''''

Some of whom who will be better drivers than yourself.

1. It's not that hard to make money in this game. PD doesn't need to put an ATM in the game instead of an actual race. I've heard this weird, "They did it so players could make money quickly." argument a lot lately, and not just from you. There's no basis to either assume or to claim that this was PD's intention. It's not something that would be necessary to do for players. Players can make money already without adding more ATM's. I'm not sure where this assumption comes from, or why people keep claiming that PD decided to give players an even easier way to make money, but it's a very silly argument. It's a racing game, it's supposed to have actual races in it.

2. People should not have to do something other than what they want to do to make up for the fact that the designers didn't do what they were supposed to do. Sorry, just because there are alternative activities possible does not negate the fact that these Seasonals are not designed properly. "If you don't like it, do something else." is not a valid argument here. The fact is that PD promised better AI and they did not deliver. Your solution is to ignore this and not play against the AI unless you want money by doing repetitive, boring tasks.

I remember reading an interview where Kaz, if I recall correctly, said something to the effect that users have expressed disappointment in the AI of the GT series and that they were planning to address those issues and assured players that when GT5 came out that they would actually have a realistic challenge against the AI. This promise was not delivered upon. The only challenge that the game delivers is a boost to the rabbit and a head start. That's not better AI, that's duct tape to fix a leak.

Having the choice of an alternative activity because a vast majority of the game events were done poorly and the AI issue were not address is far from a valid argument.

3. The only actual experience one can get from an easy "challenge", such as the current German Touring Car is more familiarity with a track layout.

Learning proper driving lines, proper braking, corner entry/exits, throttle control, etc., etc., etc. are completely useless with the SRF on. One can learn none of those things. All that a player can learn is, here's a straight, then there's a curve, then another straight or curve, etc. It kinda does the opposite of teaching when you really look at it.

I will restate something that I said in another topic. Here is the description of the German Touring Car Seasonal:

"This is an expert race event. . ."

In reality, this is one of the easiest, if not the single easiest event that PD has delivered to us. How they can use that word with this event is beyond me. That is a serious misuse of that word.

How to win this event: Get any eligible car. Do nothing to it. Hop in it. Drive it sloppily. Win easily. No tuning. No oil changes. No good driving needed.

Ridiculous. If I wanted to get money for sitting around being bored; I'd run B-Spec races.

4. The only valid argument in this topic is the guy who says his life is one big struggle and he wants to relax and not have to struggle to come out on top for a change. I can understand that, if his life really is that difficult.

On the other hand, he is one person, and the game should not be designed just for him. Games are supposed to have challenge in them. Since there are millions of people playing this game all over the world, the game should have content that works for everyone. There should be events for casual gamers and events for seasoned drivers.

There's mostly content for just the casual gamers as it stands now.

What's your point?

Perhaps his point is that it's just a game.

Exactly, and then some, Dalone.

It is a game and it is our responsibility to enjoy it. If we do not we can A) make suggestions for improving it, avoiding nonsense insults, while having what fun we can, B) put the game away or C) make suggestions for improvement and put it away.

For many of you, I dare say, the answer should be B. :dunce:

I understand that there could be improvements and even better management of the ongoing, and much appreciated by me, special event aspect of the game. So make suggestions, sure. But when a thread includes "=stupid" some folks may call it out as a simpleton stab at a complex problem.

Ivan,

Your point would be fine if it weren't in defense of this thread. There are well made and extremely specific points of improvement to consider. I hope the GT people read your stuff. But It takes quite a lot of reading to find points like yours made with any degree of consideration of the fact that many people are pretty happy with the game.

There was time when these boards were overwhelmed with complaints about the difficulty players had making money. For many many players $10 million was never going to happen, forget $20 million.

You want a specialized and intense quality that growing demand may just make impossible to satisfy. If there is to be a GT6, one must consider the Madden dilemma and hope we are not chasing the ever evading carrot of a well thought our system. Angry players have not affected the Madden system at its core.

I agree with you that complaining won't fix the problem, because those complaints will not reach the developers.

On top of that, even if my complaints were heard, there's no assurance that they will actually do anything to fix what myself, and many others, think is wrong.

On top of that, considering that they didn't deliver what was promised before, there's no real reason to think that it will happen. even if they promised to fix things.

The thing is that I read a lot of posts in this forum and using that as a gauge (yes, it's not a scientifically accurate gauge by any means) I find that the majority of us are actually dissatisfied to some degree about the lack of effort put into making this game and delivering content.

There could be, as you've suggested, millions and millions of people who are silent about it, but happy with the game. However, seeing as there are a lot of posts, not just dedicated topics, complaining about many things that this game lacks; things that were promised by the developers years ago, I'd have to say that there are more unhappy people than happy.

Are they so unhappy that they moved onto something else? No, but they know that this game could be so much better than it is. They play it on a daily basis and these questions and complaints come up. Why isn't it better? Why does it seem like someone isn't thinking when they do these Events? Why did they not fix the AI? etc. etc.

I understand that it upsets people if someone uses a word like "stupid" to describe a game that they love, but understand that any of the ones who complain loudly are people who love the game too; they just want it to live up to its true potential.

Prior to the PS3 GT games, there wasn't a single driving game that could compare to the GT series. Look at how often other console driving games and PC simulators are brought up when talking about GT now.

GT used to be the epitome of driving games. It's still good, but it's not great. It should be great, and not only great, but the absolute best, like it used to be.

People aren't complaining because they are trying to poop on someone's favorite game. People are complaining because it feels like PD stopped improving their game.

I agree with you that complaining won't fix the problem, because those complaints will not reach the developers.
If PD does not listen then someone else will get my money. I back my "complaints" up with action. If more people did this I bet things would change and in a hurry.

1. It's not that hard to make money in this game. PD doesn't need to put an ATM in the game instead of an actual race. I've heard this weird, "They did it so players could make money quickly." argument a lot lately, and not just from you. There's no basis to either assume or to claim that this was PD's intention. It's not something that would be necessary to do for players. Players can make money already without adding more ATM's. I'm not sure where this assumption comes from, or why people keep claiming that PD decided to give players an even easier way to make money, but it's a very silly argument. It's a racing game, it's supposed to have actual races in it.

2. People should not have to do something other than what they want to do to make up for the fact that the designers didn't do what they were supposed to do. Sorry, just because there are alternative activities possible does not negate the fact that these Seasonals are not designed properly. "If you don't like it, do something else." is not a valid argument here. The fact is that PD promised better AI and they did not deliver. Your solution is to ignore this and not play against the AI unless you want money by doing repetitive, boring tasks.

I remember reading an interview where Kaz, if I recall correctly, said something to the effect that users have expressed disappointment in the AI of the GT series and that they were planning to address those issues and assured players that when GT5 came out that they would actually have a realistic challenge against the AI. This promise was not delivered upon. The only challenge that the game delivers is a boost to the rabbit and a head start. That's not better AI, that's duct tape to fix a leak.

Having the choice of an alternative activity because a vast majority of the game events were done poorly and the AI issue were not address is far from a valid argument.

3. The only actual experience one can get from an easy "challenge", such as the current German Touring Car is more familiarity with a track layout.

Learning proper driving lines, proper braking, corner entry/exits, throttle control, etc., etc., etc. are completely useless with the SRF on. One can learn none of those things. All that a player can learn is, here's a straight, then there's a curve, then another straight or curve, etc. It kinda does the opposite of teaching when you really look at it.

I will restate something that I said in another topic. Here is the description of the German Touring Car Seasonal:

"This is an expert race event. . ."

In reality, this is one of the easiest, if not the single easiest event that PD has delivered to us. How they can use that word with this event is beyond me. That is a serious misuse of that word.

How to win this event: Get any eligible car. Do nothing to it. Hop in it. Drive it sloppily. Win easily. No tuning. No oil changes. No good driving needed.
Ridiculous. If I wanted to get money for sitting around being bored; I'd run B-Spec races.

4. The only valid argument in this topic is the guy who says his life is one big struggle and he wants to relax and not have to struggle to come out on top for a change. I can understand that, if his life really is that difficult.

On the other hand, he is one person, and the game should not be designed just for him. Games are supposed to have challenge in them. Since there are millions of people playing this game all over the world, the game should have content that works for everyone. There should be events for casual gamers and events for seasoned drivers.

There's mostly content for just the casual gamers as it stands now.

+1000 👍

I'd rather have stupid Seasonal Events than having to stick with Aspec only.

That being said, I agree that they could have made Seasonals and even regular races alot more interesting by increasing AI skill and agression. Get rid of the 'rails'.

I totally agree. The lead cars are half way around the course before you even start. The tire restrictions are completely stupid. It is impossible to control your car!!! This game started out fun and got really super stupid. The best place for GT5 is the garbage can!!! Why so many different Japanese cars and hardly no US cars?

I've had many grudges from GT5's numerous imperfections, but one I can't let slip into GT6 is the game-play style of the Seasonal Events.

Why the Seasonal Events, you may ask?

The game-play is nothing more than a pathetic 11-opponent chase-the-rabbit race, where you try and lazily pass these irrelevant cling-to-the-racing-line GT4-era AI opponents that give no challenge, and the only challenge is passing the entire field of lifeless AI cars in a limited amount of time or laps and how ridiculously far away the lead car(s) is (are). THIS IS STUPID! This is not how any Gran Turismo racing and actual motor sports works!

I really hope PD never, ever uses this game-play style again. :nervous: However, enough ranting, I want to hear your thoughts and opinions on this subject, please. I'm interested in hearing what y'all GTPlanet members and GT fans have to say about this.

I will agree on some seasonal's, the lead cars have a huge lead and you have to drive near perfect to get close to them !

I like the idea of the Seasonals providing extra new races after we've already completed the career, but I completely agree that the poor predictable AI and the extremely slow release of only one seasonal event every two weeks is terrible and it's simply not good enough.

groovytunes
I totally agree. The lead cars are half way around the course before you even start. The tire restrictions are completely stupid. It is impossible to control your car!!! This game started out fun and got really super stupid. The best place for GT5 is the garbage can!!! Why so many different Japanese cars and hardly no US cars?

Gran turismo was made from producers from Japan this is why also the fake red bull says that it was from japan.

I've had many grudges from GT5's numerous imperfections, but one I can't let slip into GT6 is the game-play style of the Seasonal Events.

Why the Seasonal Events, you may ask?

The game-play is nothing more than a pathetic 11-opponent chase-the-rabbit race, where you try and lazily pass these irrelevant cling-to-the-racing-line GT4-era AI opponents that give no challenge, and the only challenge is passing the entire field of lifeless AI cars in a limited amount of time or laps and how ridiculously far away the lead car(s) is (are). THIS IS STUPID! This is not how any Gran Turismo racing and actual motor sports works!

I really hope PD never, ever uses this game-play style again. :nervous: However, enough ranting, I want to hear your thoughts and opinions on this subject, please. I'm interested in hearing what y'all GTPlanet members and GT fans have to say about this.

I actually agree with this. The seasonal events alone is what make me stop playing the game. It just gives the game a lifeless feel to me. Maybe GT6 in the future could have seasonal events with standing starts? And some aggressive AI.

And I have also noticed that most of the seasonal events the first three cars end up being the fastest, and there is a gap between the first three cars, and the rest of the cars in the race.

I feel like some of you are being a little unfair by saying 'The seasonals are TOO EASY because my car is TOO FAST!'. It's like going on Skyrim, creating a save and then using the console to give yourself the strongest weapons and armor in the game as soon as you begin.
PD gives you a very convenient power limiter that you don't even need to buy to use, and it's not too expensive to buy a lower grade of tires. If you want to use your Corvette ZR1 in the newest seasonal but think it's 'too easy' and 'not worth my time', then just drop the power and limit yourself.
Yes, PD is letting FILTHY CASUALS play their game, but that doesn't mean more experienced players can't give themselves a challenge. Try using the SRT4 for the American seasonal to pit an FF car against a bunch of rear wheel drive monsters! Get a heavily underpowered car and see if you can tune it up to be competitive without changing the PP! The challenge is in making your own boundaries, not challenging the ones set for you!

Performance Difference Adjustment--"How low can you go?" That's the question this game makes me answer every time I drive a seasonal. I enjoy the challenge.

If you consider Seasonals as strictly Overtake Challenges then it's fun. No one's being forced to run on the grippiest tires allowed. Same with overtuning your car or using driving aids. Basically a Time Trial with more variables.

PD isn't going to change their format this late in the game. If I want close door to door racing, I race in my league.

Did you try the Mercedes 190E? Whilst I agree that winning these races can be boring, because you'll be in a car that is much faster than most of the AI, enjoyment can be found in picking a fairly uncompetitive car and having to battle for 4th or 5th place. The chase the rabbit format is lazy and dull but I can't see it going away so we just have to make the best of it.

Seasonals are too easy because our expectations of the bot drivers (I loathe to refer to them as A.I.), from racing real people online, have been raised far higher than technology can meet.

Seasonals are too easy because our expectations of the bot drivers (I loathe to refer to them as A.I.), from racing real people online, have been raised far higher than technology can meet.

To an extent, but the rabbit format makes you use a much better car than you could if the bot/AI field was closer together.

I have fun with the seasonals but my only real issue with them is that when you turn behind the AI or come up next to them, they slow down and sometimes mess you up. Everything else i really dont have an issue with at all.

I like the Seasonals. I've been away from my PS3 for months and they're a handy for getting back in the swing of things. When I'm ready for something more challenging I'll play online. AI is never as much fun as playing a real person with any game.

Back