• 7 comments

Sprite

Beanbag Brain
Premium
United Kingdom
Horbury, West Yorkshire
GTP_Sprite
Eurogamer
SEGA's preparing another compilation of Mega Drive games for release this autumn.

SEGA Genesis Collection - likely to be renamed SEGA Mega Drive Collection or similar for Europe - is being compiled by Backbone Entertainment for PlayStation 2 and PSP and includes around 30 games.

These include everything from Sonic The Hedgehog and Ristar to Alex Kidd and Ecco the Dolphin, including a number of games plucked from the same series. Golden Axe, for example, counts for three entries, while you can also expect to find games II, III and IV in the Phantasy Star series.

Both the PS2 and PSP versions will include interviews with the original game developers and a museum area full of game-facts, as well as hints. The PSP version will also offer wireless multiplayer, but as a counterweight the PS2 version will include three unlockable games (Tac/Scan, Zektor and Zaxxon) not available on the PSP.

Advertisement
You can find a few screenshots of the games in action elsewhere on the site, and the full game-list, uncovered by 1UP, follows.

Alex Kidd - The Enchanted Castle
Altered Beast
Bonanza Bros.
Columns
Comix Zone
Decap Attack
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco: The Tides of Time
Ecco Jr.
Eternal Champions
Flicky
Gain Ground
Golden Axe
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III
Phantasy Star IV
Ristar
Shadow Dancer: Secret of Shinobi
Shinobi III
Sonic The Hedgehog
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Super Thunderblade
Sword of Vermillion
Tac/Scan (PS2-only unlockable)
Vectorman
Vectorman 2
Virtua Fighter 2
Zaxxon (PS2-only unlockable)
Zektor (PS2-only unlockable)

Wow, My dad has the Namco classics arcade 1, but this is awsome, cant wait, shame about streets of rage and some others, but maybe in the next one.

I think that more like 50c to be a fare price for these old games, personally I think they should be free, since they are very old, and those who really want to play them still have thier old systems or have downloaded them from the net for free, but at least they are all in one spot.

Seeing how no Xbox live arcade game is 50c that would seem like a bargin. Galaga is $5.00. Street Fighter 2 is $9. I'm just being realistic. Microsoft and other profitable companies do not believe in the "Its an old game it should be free theory" Vectorman 2 came out in 1996, Ridge Racer for Psone came out in 1994. RR should be free.

Seeing how no Xbox live arcade game is 50c that would seem like a bargin. Galaga is $5.00. Street Fighter 2 is $9. I'm just being realistic. Microsoft and other profitable companies do not believe in the "Its an old game it should be free theory" Vectorman 2 came out in 1996, Ridge Racer for Psone came out in 1994. RR should be free.

ha ha ha, maybe Im just getting too old, Its like seeing weather girls on TV, a couple of years ago they looked allot older than me, but now they look like I would be arrested for looking at them in a horney way :D

I dont know why but I love classic games, but I think that companies charge too much, the only time ive seen a games company charge no money for a classic game, is rockstar, they are giving away GTA, Wild Metal & GTA 2 for free, this to me is what should be done to all games over 10 years, but I guess they will never do that. But I may look into this sega classics for the PSP when It comes out, I love the idea of playing golden axe over the adhoc with friends like I used to do when it first came out.

Well, let's go Sega! Butcher and botch another compilation. Let's see. Looking over this list I see some useless games (GoldenAxe 3, Vectorman 2, Sword of Vermillion, Virtua Fighter 2, Altered Beast), games that damn well deserve another outing (Ristar, Alex Kidd, Phantasy Star II, Comix Zone, Ecco, Ecco II), games that are missing (Revenge of Shinobi, Virtua Racing, Super Manaco Grand Prix 2), not to mention games that sure as hell don't deserve (or need) another release (Sonic, Sonic 2, Ecco Jr., Columns). The rest is more-or-less "meh."

Ouch, I loved Sword of vermilion when it came out years ago, Sadly its not as exiting now, I played it again on my psp last year and i guess it can seem like an awsome game to a 13 year old(I think i was that old).

Aryton Senna where are you? Macanco 2 was a blast back in the day.

Back