semi pro or pro mode

• Thread starter ttfan
  • 27 comments
hi there, i was just wondering what every1 uses in tt, pro mode or semi pro mode, i use semi pro cuz i can get alot more drive out of corners and i dont see the point in pro mode cuz when exiting a corner all the bike does is spin up and theres only a little sideways action which doesnt really help, also when in pro mode when you brake you can use both brakes which is pointless cuz it doesnt even help me, i mean i want to back the rear in when coming into a corner which i can do in semi pro, i just move my weight forward and the rear comes around so i dont see the point in the front/rear break setup in pro mode, i know in real life front/rear brake control is very important but in the game it just doesnt feel like its doing anything it just happens by accident, what do you think.

i agree, i dont like to use the stick for throttle control, so theres no way to ease on it and control wheelspin using the buttons. so i just let the computer control it. and the brakes work for me just fine. if you use r2 doesnt it give more favour to the back brake anyway in semi pro? i notice that helps get the rear around better

i use pro mode because tt feels/plays like gt4 to me so why should i take away the two things that make it feel somewhat different? (tuck and non linked brakes)

i use semi pro cuz i can get alot more drive out of corners and i dont see the point in pro mode cuz when exiting a corner all the bike does is spin up and theres only a little sideways action which doesnt really help

you just have to be smoother on the throttle. theres a lot less tyre patch on a bike than a car and bikes need to be ridden smoothly. late apexing helps and if youre on the wrong line, the tyre will be more likely to spin up.

as for the brakes, you can use the front to trail brake and fine tuning of speed (which is backwards since they front should be your primary braking source, but, instead youve to use both for best braking) you can also use the rear brake to tighten the line.

I do think the rear brake is too effective on the game. Im not a big user of it in real life, infact I hardly ever use it, especially on track. The way Ive always felt is that the back is nearly in the air anyway and it just locks up when you do use it. On 4 strokes the engine braking alone is enough to lock the wheel partially or make it spin slower than the front, so why bother?? I see it can be useful to keep the front wheel down under acceleration, but overall braking power it must be like 95% front and 5% rear lol.

I use semi-pro mode, I can ride fast enough to get all the golds and just under 100%, including all challenges and every color bike. I'm thinking of making the switch to pro, but I barely have time to play as it is.

I have just switched over to pro mode, and it is a whole different experience, you actually have to RIDE the bike rather than just GUIDE it

I don't like the sensitivity of r2 at all. I do like how you can spin the rear and get a little out of shape if you don't bring in the throttle smooth. Would definetely use pro more if I could use front and rear brakes more carefully.

Any one got a good alternate button config. for pro-mode ?

ttfan
i dont see the point in pro mode

Think the only point is to make it more challenging, you can't be as reckless with the brakes and throttle.

I use the buttons for throttle and brake, but I changed the shift buttons to L2-R2, tuck is L1, rear brake R1.

I use semi-pro to win bikes in challenge and races. I use 'pro' mode when I want to enjoy riding alone, not using it yet when racing - too much pressure. When i ride in pro mode I cannot focus on the race yet. Still learning it. Enjoy the pro-mode very much.

After taking the first licence,i switched gradually (after 2 rides) in pro mode,and i didnt change it since.I had a problem with synchronizing all that buttons so i quit manual and continued with pro in every ride (challenge ,time trial,races).Its far more exciting having to control the amount of throttle at the exit of the corner,and the angles that a bike takes are more challenging.The advantages of separating the front of the rear brakes are a point that add to the realism of the game also.I use the left analog for steering,and button X for throttle.
PS:Actually,i would like to have the option to set TCS at zero so riding would be even more interesting.

997 gt-3
i agree, i dont like to use the stick for throttle control, so theres no way to ease on it and control wheelspin using the buttons.

You realize the buttons are pressure sensitive, right? That means they have analog capability built in. So yes, you can control wheelspin.

Uncreated

red7
Any one got a good alternate button config. for pro-mode ?

Mine.

Square for throttle.
Triangle for look back.
X for front brake, O for rear.
L1 for downshift, L2 for tuck.
R1 for upshift, R2 not used.
Left analog stick for steering.

Uncreated

JJonth
I do think the rear brake is too effective on the game. Im not a big user of it in real life, infact I hardly ever use it, especially on track. The way Ive always felt is that the back is nearly in the air anyway and it just locks up when you do use it. On 4 strokes the engine braking alone is enough to lock the wheel partially or make it spin slower than the front, so why bother?? I see it can be useful to keep the front wheel down under acceleration, but overall braking power it must be like 95% front and 5% rear lol.

Yeah it annoys me in Pro Mode that you have to use the rear brake to haul the bike up quickly, there are world champion motorcycle racers who don't bother with the rear brake, maybe they made the game without consulting any racers or professional riders?

JJonth
The way Ive always felt is that the back is nearly in the air anyway and it just locks up when you do use it.

You should play pro mode more. Professional racers feather their brakes a lot to avoid lockups. The rear brake is handy for controlling wide runs; tap it a few times under hard front braking and you'll notice the front of the bike dip back into the turn.

And if the back of your bike often comes off the ground, have a look at your suspension setup.

Uncreated

Mainly Pro mode for me, but only after I swaped around the rear brakes and tuck.

As I use the sticks for steering and brakes I just could not get on with having tuck on L2, drove me nuts, as soon as I swapped it to R2 I found it much easier.

Don't know why, but it works for me (all gold on the licenses so I must be doing something right).

Regards

Scaff

The trouble with trying to use the rear brake while going around corners (right handers) you have to put your foot back up on the footpeg or it scrapes (it still scrapes a bit anyway lol you lean the thing that far over) TT has the classic duck feet thing going on (apart from on the TZ250???). If I did that my boots wouldn't last one race lol. I do play it with Pro mode, though I still hate the traction control thing you cant switch off.

The wheel in the air thing is common for 125GP bikes. A 68kg dry weight and no weight over the back (500g aluminum sub frame and a 3.5 inch wide rear wheel isn't a great deal of weight keeping the back down)

997 gt-3
i agree, i dont like to use the stick for throttle control, so theres no way to ease on it and control wheelspin using the buttons. so i just let the computer control it. and the brakes work for me just fine.

I can modulate the throttle with the buttons. You just have to use the knuckle of your thumb instead of the tip.

I've been expirementing with semi-pro and pro. I run much faster with semi-pro but its more fun to play with pro. My only issue is I've never ridden a motrocycle so I have no clue how to work the brakes effectively.

Hi
I use pro mode, and have done since I started, so I dont know what semi-pro is like :).

To me, it just add to the fun of the game and a whole new dimension to the game, I like the seperate brakes, sometimes I only use 1, especially when leant over when braking, then add the rear brake when I'm more upright.

You can get the power down, you just have to be careful with the analogue controller.

Also I think using pro mode could exstend the life of the game for a couple of hours before completion.

Luke

retrofly
Hi
I use pro mode, and have done since I started, so I dont know what semi-pro is like :).

As do I.

If any of you are interested, I managed to squeeze a 6'55.xxx pro mode (manual transmission) laptime out of a Jomo GSX-R1000 8HR bike on the Nurburgring. For those unfamiliar with the 'ring, any time under 7 minutes amounts to an uncommonly heroic effort, doubly so using pro mode. There's a replay attached to the following message (USA replay):

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2306475&postcount=160

Uncreated

I am far too used to the control method in GT4, to be competant with two sets of brakes, and the crouch control, as well as accelerating and turning, I guess it's just a skill I need to work on.

I'm sure once you master it, it enables you to go quicke.

Kuhnaydeein
Found the thread.

Nice. Read through it all.

I choose pro because, believe it or not, it's most natural for me. I'm an oldschool gamer, and I've naturally gravitated to manual shifting on every racer I've played since back in "the day", with few exceptions. I go back about, ahem, (many) years of console gaming. My first console racer was Pole Position for the Atari 2600. Having survived through a merciless 80s arcade era when games were truly difficult (Williams games especially), the natural inclination for me is to play games with the difficulty setting jacked up to impossible. Or higher.

For those of you here over 25, ever play Roboton: 2084 on easy? Friggin' tough huh? You should see the difficult setting. It's unearthly punishing.

My TT setup has downshift on L1, tuck on L2; upshift on R1 and nothing on R2. I don't play with my right thumb on the pad like most do -- I use my index and middle fingers, so my main buttons are on the shapes: square for throttle, triangle for look back, X and O for front and rear brake respectively.

Best part about my setup is when I downshift, I have to let go of the tuck button to do so. A natural rider action, I'd say.

Rejoice, pro mode players! For the world is thine own!

Uncreated!

:lol: :lol: I remember thrashing the dual joysticks on the arcade Robotron, that game gave me fits, you're right about the Williams games, they were brutal but you couldn't stop pumping quarters into them.

There was another one that came out in the arcades after Pole Position, you hauled ass around the countryside in a convertible, can't recall the name of that one.

saspo
There was another one that came out in the arcades after Pole Position, you hauled ass around the countryside in a convertible, can't recall the name of that one.

Sounds like Outrun. I recall that being released well after Pole Position.

Uncreated

I'm using Normal mode at the moment, due to the fact im learning the track/bike combinations, I have tried Pro but couldn't get along with it, maybe i will try semi-pro sometime soon...

Back