Serving penalties and SR rating

• Thread starter ferreira
  • 16 comments
United Kingdom
London
Os_Lads
Apologies if this has been discussed already - I couldn’t find anything related.

If you get a penalty in a race and if you don’t serve it immediately, does that affect your SR rating?

Apart from seeing the orange SR down arrow when you get a penalty, does how long it takes you to serve it affect SR too?

I’ve had a few races recently where I’ve only had one incident and had my overall SR go down or just stay the same, despite having a largely clean race, but only serving the penalty much later.

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't matter when you serve the penalty, the SR subtraction is the same.

The only thing that does matter regarding serving penalties is that if your penalties accumulate to over 10s, you're supposed to serve them right away or else the penalty time will increase dramatically. You'll see the "slow down" message flashing a bit before it starts to increase.

I don’t think so from my experience, but many players must think otherwise given the number I see urgently serving their penalties. Would be interested to know for certain.

I thought it didn't matter yet I'm not so sure anymore. Getting hit once at the start of Le Mans, actually before the start, and driving all race with that penalty netted me a neutral rating for the race, while others seemed to be getting plenty penalties, serve it directly and ended up with a blue rating. Yet since I also got hit without receiving a penalty or SR Down it's hard to know for sure, since the game always subtracts SR whether it's your fault or not.

People slowing down little bits and ghosting / unghosting on the racing line is creating extra problems though, they usually draft, lift a bit, draft back up making the whole penalty pointless and it just ends up interfering with the car driving behind. I wish PD would think of something better. Btw, in DR.B you can let it go up to 20 sec before you need to serve it.

I thought it didn't matter yet I'm not so sure anymore. Getting hit once at the start of Le Mans, actually before the start, and driving all race with that penalty netted me a neutral rating for the race, while others seemed to be getting plenty penalties, serve it directly and ended up with a blue rating. Yet since I also got hit without receiving a penalty or SR Down it's hard to know for sure, since the game always subtracts SR whether it's your fault or not.

People slowing down little bits and ghosting / unghosting on the racing line is creating extra problems though, they usually draft, lift a bit, draft back up making the whole penalty pointless and it just ends up interfering with the car driving behind. I wish PD would think of something better. Btw, in DR.B you can let it go up to 20 sec before you need to serve it.

Huh?

I've had penalties in the warmup lots but they have never carried through to the race..

I don’t think so from my experience, but many players must think otherwise given the number I see urgently serving their penalties. Would be interested to know for certain.

That’s part of what led me to ask this question.

I have definitely seen more people serving their penalties immediately, which is great sportsmanship, but can also end up making you lose a lot more time than if you were to serve it later on.

I thought it didn't matter yet I'm not so sure anymore. Getting hit once at the start of Le Mans, actually before the start, and driving all race with that penalty netted me a neutral rating for the race, while others seemed to be getting plenty penalties, serve it directly and ended up with a blue rating. Yet since I also got hit without receiving a penalty or SR Down it's hard to know for sure, since the game always subtracts SR whether it's your fault or not. (...)

I've also noticed this myself. How can 1 bad SR arrow and 10+ positive arrows still lead to neutral or negative SR outcome at the end of the race? It doesn't make sense.

I wouldn't think so, unless you get disconnected through penalty accumulaction.

I've also noticed this myself. How can 1 bad SR arrow and 10+ positive arrows still lead to neutral or negative SR outcome at the end of the race? It doesn't make sense.

Just now a slow car suddenly swerves after the bus stop, can't avoid, the car behind hits me as well. 3 sec penalty, -8 Sr for the race. Maybe it's just very strict since I wandered into DR.A again, yet one unavoidable hit negates all clean sectors and then some. I never served the penalty, drove over the finish line and lost 3 places. No room to slow down safely, very close race.

I wish there was some transparency about what the game sees and what is deducted where. It feels so random most of the time.

Next race, I move up 8 positions, close race, driving behind and in between cars all the time, avoiding all contact, clean race bonus, and that's only worth +5 points... You get the same 5 points for driving out front or behind everyone, it's dumb.

Last edited:
Not sure if I'm missing something obvious but how do you see a numerical value of your SR to know how much it has changed after each race? Cheers.

I wish PD would think of something better. Btw, in DR.B you can let it go up to 20 sec before you need to serve it.

At the world tour I think they were pit penalties, I don’t know if that’s been implemented already? And unsure how that would work for races A and B

At the world tour I think they were pit penalties, I don’t know if that’s been implemented already? And unsure how that would work for races A and B

Not yet implemented and most people are now serving penalties on the pit entry or exit lane.... I've already ran into cars suddenly unghosting on the pit entry lane while almost stopped. You can still enter the put in A and B races, it just drives you through, penalties could count down in the pit there as well.

First change that should be made is that the timer won't count down with a car behind you. I'm tired of following people at a safe distance only for them to brake a little and go solid again right before your bumper to shed a penalty a little bit at a time. It was better when you had to slow way down to serve a penalty.

What happens if you don't serve a penalty, besides the time being subtracted?

I'm sure this has been asked before but couldn't find it in a search.

What happens if you don't serve a penalty, besides the time being subtracted?

I'm sure this has been asked before but couldn't find it in a search.

It just gets added at the end and your final position may change as a result. From what I understand, it shouldn't affect your SR rating anymore than it would if you served it immediately.

What's the best way to serve a penalty?
I've tried pulling over and slowing down in the straits, with the flashers going, and people still get behind me and try to draft, just to swerve last second to avoid me.
I've tried several things and no matter what I'm almost always in somebody's way, which is what I'm trying to avoid

Pull out of the racing line and slow down on the main straight, if someone wants to draft you that’s fine, but you’re not in anyone’s way

Back