Setting up your car for DRIFT? Help please

• Thread starter BlackS14
  • 11 comments
:crazy:

First post, hope everyone is well

Anyhow, how do you set your car up for drift?
I read the Drift Trueno and Drift RX7 thread, and that's what I generally do, but how do you fine tune a drift car?

I'm currently tuning a 180SX type X for drift, and I have to reduce HP to drift well. I'm using Simulation tires, but I still spin out too much.

How do you tune for drift well, and how do you reduce spinning out?

Generally, how does messing around with LSD help drift?
In real life, 2way LSD is the best for drift, but how does that work in GT2?
Also, how does Toe work?
Usually, do you have rear negative camber? I usually have more neg camber in the front

Which car is the easiest to learn to tune drift with?

Eventually, I want to perfectly tune the S14 K's for drift (My car in real life)
Is there a black S14 in the game?
How do I get the White FC turbo? (My old previous car in real life)

Thanks a lot for the help! Have a good day! :crazy:

What is your biggest problem? initiating drift? maintaining drift?

For spin out, try to learn counter steer, or if you already good at it try using 0 front / +0.20 rear toe. You can also try to change the car sliding balance using spring rate and camber, but I think you should make the car balance during grip driving first using stabilizer and damper.

I usually use LSD on middle value depend on horsepower I use, but I think 1.5 way LSD is good enough.

Yes there is black sillvia K, but since it only available as used car, you need luck.

It is nice to have same cars as in the game :), can you make the GT2 silvia or FC handle like your real car?

Anyhow, how do you set your car up for drift?
I read the Drift Trueno and Drift RX7 thread, and that's what I generally do, but how do you fine tune a drift car

What settings are you using currently? Let's start there.

I'm currently tuning a 180SX type X for drift, and I have to reduce HP to drift well. I'm using Simulation tires, but I still spin out too much.

I'm not a big user of sim tires, but for any sort of drifting if you're spinning out it means you're using too much gas or not approaching corners correctly. Believe it or not, most good drifting is done with low-power cars, it's only the mad pros who can go extreme.

Anyways, instead of sims, try upgrading to normals. You'll still be able to get sideways but will have better control. Come back to the sims when you feel more confident.

Generally, how does messing around with LSD help drift?
In real life, 2way LSD is the best for drift, but how does that work in GT2?
Also, how does Toe work?

The 2-way works well in GT2 but i prefer to customize so i can try to get that perfect fit. But you can use the 2-way, that's fine. I never use toe except in rallies and in very rare instances on road cars. I've experimented and found a car with no toe is always faster than a car with toe.

Usually, do you have rear negative camber? I usually have more neg camber in the front

Which car is the easiest to learn to tune drift with?

Silvias are great. FC-series RX7's (the Infini III, Cabriolet, etc), Ummm...Truenos & Corollas. Mustangs, old muscle cars (these rely on extensive suspension settings & patience though).

I almost always have the most negative camber up front. Some exceptions are on some 4-wheel drive cars or cars that otherwise don't step out for a drift. A great example is the '71 Skyline 2000GT. That car (even tho it's rear-drive) will NOT drift...it understeers to no avail but the rear always behaves. I think i bumped the rear camber on that one past 2.5 degrees!

Eventually, I want to perfectly tune the S14 K's for drift (My car in real life)
Is there a black S14 in the game?
How do I get the White FC turbo? (My old previous car in real life)

Yeah, there's a black S14..check the Nissan used car lot, there are often several of them. If you don't see a black one, come back in a few days and check again.

The White FC Turbo? What does FC stand for or are you referring to FC-style RX7's?

Now for the lecture! At the end of the day, your settings don't make you drift. Settings are nothing but extensions to your driving style...i've drifted in cars of all sorts; all your settings do is make your car more comfortable to drive so you can (with confidence) attack corners the way you want to.

You have to learn to modulate brakes, gas, and steering to start & maintain a drift...you can't just floor it all the time. Analog control is better than buttons. Class is dismissed.

Hey thanks for the quick replies.

I started from scratch again with the 180SX tune, and here are my new settings

Spring: 3.4/2.0
Height 89/89
Damper bound: 10/10
Rebound: 10/10
Camber: 3.0/0.0
Toe: 0/0
Stabilizer 1/1
Brake: 1 level / 20 level
LSD: 56/56/56
Tires Front: Sport
Tires Rear: Normal

I'm practicing on Trial Mountain

After these settings I spin out less, but I don't get as aggressive of an angle as I would like.
Also, it only works well for sweeping turns, I can't do drifts well on switchbacks (180 degree turns). Tight turns are difficult to do, but I can correct pretty ok with it. I usually have to tap on brake a lot for the 180 degree turns

For my cars in real life, its' funny because I haven't driven the S14 stock in GT2 yet, so I can't comment, but I'll drive both the S14 240SX and FC3S RX7 stock later. Both cars handled quite well in real life. Sorry for not being clear, I meant white FC RX7 turbo

I was using sucahyo's settings for my own Trueno, and it seems to be a lot more stable than my settings for my 180SX.

Unfortunately, I can't use analog, because I'm playing on epsxe on PC. I'm away from my house so I don't have my PS1 with me, only my laptop.

I know it's not remotely realisitic nor a good comparison, but is it possible to do those HUGE sweeping drifts like in Ridge Race in GT2?

This was my FC RX7:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/vinz8/P1000781x.jpg

This is my S14 240SX:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/vinz8/Picture047x.jpg

Thanks a lot for the help! :crazy:

I would start by giving a more radical rear camber..maybe try about 1.5 degrees and if you're getting the angle you want, fine. But if you're not stepping out crank the rear camber more!

I would then experiment with the ride height. Raise the rear 10mm. This will make it a bit more tail-happy. Keep raising the rear in 10 mm increments.

Dampers all on 10...ooof. Try lowering the front bound damper to maybe 7. This will allow the car to throw more weight towards the front and leave the back ready for action. Also, lower the front rebound to about 5. This should (theoretically) stop the car from throwing too much weight to the rear when accelerating, and so that it hasn't got so much traction.

....by now you should be seeing some definate changes in your car's behaviour. I don't know if it's going to be what you want or not, but that's what i would try at first.

Unfortunately, I can't use analog, because I'm playing on epsxe on PC. I'm away from my house so I don't have my PS1 with me, only my laptop.

I know it's not remotely realisitic nor a good comparison, but is it possible to do those HUGE sweeping drifts like in Ridge Race in GT2

People have managed to drift without analog, that's certainly not unheard of, but i think it's alot more difficult to maintain drifts cuz you don't have that instant ability to drive.

It is possible to do huge sweeping drifts, if you're good! Basically, you'll have to be a near-pro using sim tires and lots more power than 300 hp. I've drifted high power cars (the TVR Griffith with 500 plus horses comes to mind, as well as Vipers) quite alot....half the time by accident!

How do I get the White FC turbo?

Again, used car lot. Mazda obviously. There are several styles which makes these cars fun!

Is 180SX the same as Silvia K 1800? I try this car with tuned no weight mod, no fly wheel mod, no driveshaft mod.
My first impression seeing your setting is the oddity of your tire and camber, since you use stickier tire at front but use more camber at front resulting less front traction.

When driving this car using your setting at Trial Mountain, I feel the car initiate drift easily, but maintaining it is a bit difficult, either spinning or understeer. My guess about this is because when you are going too fast the camber will reduce front traction and when you are going too slow front tire will grip more than rear.

My driving style is 4 wheel drift, so this tuning method might not work for you. My step tuning this car:
- change front camber to 0. The reason is I feel the front understeer at high speed.
- reduce the front spring rate value to become 2.0. The reason is I notice the car rear end loose grip too much for me when all tire loose grip, I try to balance it by reducing front spring rate. this may be different for you.
- change rear toe to +0.20. The reason is to make it easier to maintain drift.

Final result:
Spring: 2.0/2.0
Height 89/89
Damper bound: 10/10
Rebound: 10/10
Camber: 0.0/0.0
Toe: 0/+0.20
Stabilizer 1/1
Brake: 1 level / 20 level
LSD: 56/56/56
Tires Front: Sport
Tires Rear: Normal

Your car already drift very well, your setting weakness is those front camber, it reduce the initial bite when turning and make the car understeer at high speed. If you intend to balance the car during all wheel slide condition, use spring rate. Camber can be use to balance it, but it make driving more unpredictable. Use camber to tweak the car behaviour during initial turning and high speed.

Thanks a LOT to both of you!
My 180SX type X drifts pretty darn well now!

My biggest challenge is doing the 3 consecutive turns on Special Stage Route 5. I can drift past the first 2 turns, but before I enter the 3rd turn, I spin out.

I'm editing my drift settings for the FC RX7 turbo and FD RX7 Aspec now. I think my style is to drift with tires, and less with camber. I use toe when I need to though, but I almost alway set Front Sport tires, rear Normal tires.

I finally got my RX7 Aspec in Yellow (Dream car) and I'm waiting for the Used Garage to have the Trueno in White, FC RX7 Infiniti in White, and my S14 240SX in black.

Thanks again for all the help!! :crazy:

I am glad it help :), if you wonder why I mentioned the use of positive toe at the rear, because I experience how +1.25 rear toe feel, the car keep trying to go sideways (not spin out) instead of going straight :lol:.

for me it is the Sprinter Trueno. i will give you my setup :)

Racing Muffler
Stage 2 Turbo
Sports Brakes
Semi-Racing Suspension (Damper Front-3 Rear-5 , no change in camber)
Performance Chip
Engine Balancing
Sports Tires (dont use Simulation Tires)
Full-Racing Transmission
Twin Plate Clutch
1.5 way LSD
Semi-Racing or Sports Flywheel (i cant remember)
Carbon Driveshaft
Weight Reduction Stage 1

try it on Grindelwald, its a lot of fun :)

For me i use one setting for all FR cars, without considerate horsepower & torque.

Buy Full-Racing modification parts (except brakes & TCSC ; you needn't a LSD too)

Change damper bound to 1 at the front & the rear & 10 for Rebound (for the rear and the front too).
Put a very high spring to the front & the rear (12.0 and 13.5/14 is a good spring for drift)
Important : you need simulation tyres
To set gearbox, when you throttle, and when you are in the second gear, your car mustn't burn (the tyres must burn a little bit)
I never install racing modification, so there is no downforce setting

The car should drift correctly.

hello i dont seem 2 fiind the advance tuning menu :( is it only in arcade mode or only in some versions? can some1 help me plzz ? :( Good day 2 u all

Back