Settings to reduce tyre wear in Formula GT

• Thread starter nomis3613
  • 9 comments

nomis3613

Premium
Hi,
I’m struggling a bit with tyre wear towards the end of the Formula GT comp and could do with some tips. I can’t keep up with the top 2 computer cars, because we have similar speed on good tyres, but mine seem to go bad about 2 laps earlier. I am getting about 5 laps of Tokyo before they go bright red and gripless. My lap times on green/yellow tyres are about 1:17.

Is this normal tyre wear for the Polyphony002 car?
Or am I just a bad driver, and either trashing my tyres or not getting fast enough times to make up for the extra pit stops?
Can you suggest any settings changes to reduce tyre wear? Front and rear are wearing about the same, and I have reduced camber to less than 1 deg but this did not help.

What are the actual tires you are using? Let's start there. Can you race on harder tires? Settings alone don't have much difference with tire wear, unless you've got settings that are way out of wack somehow. But then, you'd be hearing lots of tire squeal & they'd be smoking. And you would no doubt have a car that's not handling very well. I doubt any of this is happening...it just sounds to me like you need to use harder tires. 💡

Hi Parnelli,
Since the car is a Polyphony002, the only choice is medium tyres. The computer is using the same car and tyres as me, so it's either settings or driving style!

Hi Parnelli,
Since the car is a Polyphony002, the only choice is medium tyres. The computer is using the same car and tyres as me, so it's either settings or driving style!

Dangit i forgot about that! :dunce::ouch: It's been awhile since i played GT3..

Hi, nomis, and welcome to GTPlanet.

Have a search in the GT3 settings board and also the race reports board. Some search terms to try are "tyre wear" and "tire wear" as well as "Formula" and the car names. There are various threads that should help you out.

The two main issues are downforce and the massive toe out that the F1-type cars run. This makes them rotate well in the turns, but it really eats up the tires. Reducing the downforce a little and setting the rear tow to zero (or mild toe out) should help you stretch the life a bit.

Also, learning to be as smooth as possible and to avoid overdriving the car will keep those tires cool longer. And when smooth happens, fast is not far behind.

Good luck!

Thanks for your help guys, I got there!!

Tokyo was easy with some settings tweaks, but Apricot Hill damn that was tough in the Polyphony002.

Hope I don't piss you off by asking for help then questioning it:nervous::scared::cheers:, but I dunno if the settings changes actually affected tyre wear. Even after reducing downforce, camber and toe, I was still running out of grip after 6 laps, regardless of settings. I suspect in the end it was just improved driving that helped. And maybe swapping to a brand new car (another Polyphony002)...who knows!

In the end, I used the settings in this thread, (note the full downforce) and maybe if there was a change in wear due to settings it might have been that running more brakes meant less turning while braking so less tyre wear at the start of a corner. But I've already found some wierd effects of brake settings, so again "who knows!!!"

One other quick: I noticed that the left tyres were wearing less. So I tried changing suspension settings to reduce the weight transfer. Nothing helped, wear was still uneven. Eventually, I did some laps with very very slow left hand corners, only pushing hard on straights and right handers. The wear was still unbalanced. Hence, GT3 has wear balance hard coded in for some tracks and there is nothing you can do about it!!!

Thanks again.

Well if a track has seven right turns and two left turns, the tires on the left side of your car are gonna wear out faster, since weight is being transferred onto them more often.

To compensate, it is possible to drive those two left turns as hard as you can while wussing thru the seven right turns, but your tires are still gonna wear out quicker on the side that's getting more action, unless you're driving super-easy in those seven turns, but then (of course) you risk losing the race!

Hi Parnelli,
I actually did a really extreme version of your suggestion of wussing through the right hand turns. Like going 1/2 speed and going hard through the lefts. I still found much more tyre wear on the left side, so I reckon GT3 has this tyre wear imbalanced written into some tracks and nothing you can do will change it.

(since I'm through the F1 cup now, I'm back to testing the suggestions of yours and Scaff. News soon!)

Hi Parnelli,
I actually did a really extreme version of your suggestion of wussing through the right hand turns. Like going 1/2 speed and going hard through the lefts. I still found much more tyre wear on the left side, so I reckon GT3 has this tyre wear imbalanced written into some tracks and nothing you can do will change it.

(since I'm through the F1 cup now, I'm back to testing the suggestions of yours and Scaff. News soon!)

Wow. No kidding. That's kinda retarded. :ouch:

Yeah, back in my GT1 days, i did kind of the same thing: drove some car around Route 11 reeeeeal slow in an endurance...just to see if its tires would warm up and stuff. 💡 I let the Ai zoom off, i was basically experiementing.

Well i didn't go all the way to red tires, but they did warm up to green, even tho in theory they should be near the same temperature and not worn at all as when the race started 👎

In GT4, i know it is possible to limit tire wear by not driving as hard. You'll only get an extra lap or 2 at best, tho. You have to make sure (obviously) you're not about to get trounced by the Ai, too, when you do this.

I dont' remember if GT3 follows the same logic; i used to just drive as hard as i could (within reason) back in my GT3 days. But i'm sure there was the occasional race in which i did drive some corners wussyer than others, at least for a lap or 2, but nothing extensive like in GT4. That's been a habit of mine for awhile..

Don't forget, any track has 360 degress more turning one way or the other, depending on direction of travel.

We like people who make careful documented experiments, though, so again, welcome aboard!

Back