Setup a Call of Duty 4 Subforum under gaming/playstation3

• Thread starter icelt
  • 19 comments
icelt
II icelt II
Presently the CoD4 thread in the playstation 3 gaming forum has well over 1000+ posts in only a few months since the game's release. The popularity of this thread, combined with the multitude of subjects related to the game that have been discussed, leads me to suggest that a dedicated sub-forum would be very useful to the participating members. I can immediately envision at least a dozen individual threads that would make sharing and finding related information much easier.

Thanks for the serious consideration of this suggestion.

Cordially,
Bryan

Yes, I can see where it may be popular, but I would like to keep our dedicated subforums on the topic of other racing games.

I can definitely understand the preference, after all this is gtplantet, and it was something of a consideration that kept me from making the suggestion earlier. However their are several "main forums" (if you will) that cover a wide range of topics that have nothing to do with racing and/or gaming. I would assume these forums (digital art/off topic/product reviews/etc) were all created simply from the standpoint of trying to logically organize topics that the user base is going to discuss regardless. Not only does this structure help prevent the cluttering of a more general forum, but it also serves the particular discussion needs and desires of your very diverse user base. So it is more along these observations, reduce clutter in the playstation3 main forum and increase user functionality of the related CoD4 topics, that I think making a dedicated subforum for this particular game is justly founded.

If the ps3 area is right out what about the gaming in general area? That way we would not be implying that our CoD4 360 and PC friends are not welcome :)

Right, but I was referring to subforums that were created specifically for a particular game - not a subject or topic. If you want to move the thread, that would be fine - the creator of any thread can move it to whatever forum they like using the "Moderation Tools" in the bottom right hand side of thread pages. If you find one thread does not contain CoD discussion, there is nothing that stops you from creating others for the topic. If multiple threads do begin to clutter a forum, I would more seriously consider creating a special forum just for them (although I would still prefer to only create subforums for racing/driving games).

I fully agree with the idea.
After all, the F1:CE subforum (with it's various threads) is currently with less than 600 posts, the CoD4 thread alone has passed the 1000 posts and grows at a rate of over one page a day.

I completely understand that this is mainly an automotive-related forum, but icelt made very good observations above about diversity that's found on many subforums (and it's subforums).

The thing is, there's already a lot of very useful information posted that's now totally buried and scattered throughout all those pages, and being able to put it on a few separate threads would allow that information to be updated, commented, discussed... while helping new players getting started and 'old' players helping everyone out.

Jordan, if you take a look, you'll see that people with the game for PC and XBOX 360 are also using that thread to post about the game, so creating a subforum for this game would be really helpful for a lot of members.

Thanks for reading. 👍

I just had a look the stats,

The PS3 General Disscussion thread has been open since 17 may 2005, and has 9310 posts

The call of duty 4 modern warfare has been open 28 of april 2007 and already has 1067 posts.

I can imagine with the latest patch which will connect the EU players with the North American players this number is going to increase drematically, I myself can't wait to play against players across the pond.

The problem is advice threads don't get many replies as they are mainly for new people to veiw. These threads will be lost amoung the other threads of the PS3 forum, just as current advice is dissappearing into the COD4 thread already. The advantage of having a sub-forum would be to keep track of advice, meeting times, match reports, PSN's of COD4 owners etc. having it all in the one place in a structured manner.

I realise you want to keep the PS3 subforums to just racing games as this is of course a website dedicated to perhaps the most famous racing game of all, however there is such huge interest in this game that I can imagine a whole spectre of members would find such a subforum useful. The COD4 thread alone has nearly double the number of posts than the entire Formula one championship edition subforum.

Thank you for your previous responses.

I think it is a really good idea and can really help organize the mess (sort of) that has become of our PS3 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare thread. There are probably more than one page of posts everyday and the XBox360 and PC guys are also coming over to the PS3 thread because theirs are dead. If we dedicate a subforum to Call of Duty we could all talk about the different aspects of the game with ease.

It is easily one of the most popular threads in the PS3 forum and the game is growing a big following, us "veteran" players can help out the new comers in threads dedicated to single-player missions, multiplayer maps, different tactics, different weapons, we really could go on for a while about the uses it can have.

I am all for it because I live in NA and most of the EU guys post like crazy while I am unable to get to a computer and I have to read through a page or more of posts. Whereas if we seperate it into a subforum and different thread types we can eleminate some of the hassle of reading countless pages for info.

Ofcourse we would also have to find a way to get the specific info (maps, weapons reviews) from the already existing thread and not have to repost it all again.

I agree also a section specifically for Call of Duty 4 would be a great addition and I have no doubts it will be a very popular subforum :) I play this game every night that I get a chance and there is certainly lots of info that could be sectioned into seperate threads for new users to have ease of access to!

Please reconsider giving us this subforum Jordan old chap ;) and if its not an option maybe I could just create an off site GTP COD4 forum specifically for GTP players on my webspace and pass a link to it in the COD4 thread with your permission? I dont ever wanna look like I'm stepping on any toes here but it is something that will be used quite a lot and its certainly not just a flash in the pan game :) I would much prefer it is a subforum here though!
Thanks for listening
Cheers
Ron. :cheers:

Maybe the thread should be stickied for a while. The 1st post could contain some information on where particular questions have been answered. Just a suggestion.

Maybe the thread should be stickied for a while. The 1st post could contain some information on where particular questions have been answered. Just a suggestion.

Its a nice idea, but there is far too much information about to be linked to easily, a seperate thread would be far more efficient way of having the information to hand, as the first post would be filled with hundrends of links otherwise. The problem with creating a new thread as I said earlier is that such a thread would likely to be lost to the depths of the extremely active PS3 forum, and it would not be just one thread, a number of threads would be required in reality hence why a sebforum would be extremely useful.
That sounds like a good idea in my view. Eliminates the need for sub-forms!

You have clearly put a lot of thought into it...

Its a nice idea, but there is far too much information about to be linked to easily, a seperate thread would be far more efficient way of having the information to hand, as the first post would be filled with hundrends of links otherwise. The problem with creating a new thread as I said earlier is that such a thread would likely to be lost to the depths of the extremely active PS3 forum, and it would not be just one thread, a number of threads would be required in reality hence why a sebforum would be extremely useful.

You have clearly put a lot of thought into it...
Well I thought the idea made sense, until I read what you just posted. I'm always half/half when talking about these things. Half of me knows what I am talking about and the other half has no idea what so ever!

Its a nice idea, but there is far too much information about to be linked to easily, a seperate thread would be far more efficient way of having the information to hand, as the first post would be filled with hundrends of links otherwise

I suggested it as Jordan seems pretty sure that he doesn't want to make a sub forum for a non racing related game. It might be worth putting a link in the 1st post for the most frequently asked questions until something can be sorted out.

I suggested it as Jordan seems pretty sure that he doesn't want to make a sub forum for a non racing related game. It might be worth putting a link in the 1st post for the most frequently asked questions until something can be sorted out.

Forgot to note that GTA does have its own subforum in the Gaming In General main. Although GTA obviously has more cars in it than CoD, I can't imagine anyone would classify it as a racing game. So based on that alone there is precedent here. As I noted earlier, I think that is a perfect alternate location for our CoD4 needs as it would cover the 360 and PC versions as well. :)

Forgot to note that GTA does have its own subforum in the Gaming In General main. Although GTA obviously has more cars in it than CoD, I can't imagine anyone would classify it as a racing game. So based on that alone there is precedent here. As I noted earlier, I think that is a perfect alternate location for our CoD4 needs as it would cover the 360 and PC versions as well. :)

True, but I think that at the time Grand Theft Auto had a much larger fan base than COD. Jordan also said that if he witnesses multiple threads being created related to COD4 he may revise he decision.

COD4 has lots of cars, and they blow up more easily.

Why do you need a subforum? Just because the CoD4 thread has more posts than a subforum that probably shouldn't exist in the first place doesn't mean it should get one too. If you want to organize a big get-together, start a second thread. If you want to discuss tactics or the best gun to use in Headquarters, discuss it in the official thread.

If anything, the gaming forum should have less forums. It needs merging and reorganization, imo.

True, but I think that at the time Grand Theft Auto had a much larger fan base than COD. Jordan also said that if he witnesses multiple threads being created related to COD4 he may revise he decision.

Agreed and I didn't mean to suggest I had glossed over his point.

And multiple threads for now is gonna have to at least be the interim it looks like. There's alot of good poop now buried in the single thread that needs to be mined back out. Time to break out the picks and shovels I suppose.

Back