Setup for the Porsche 911 RSR? Difficult to drive around Suzuka (final endurance race)

Netherlands
Netherlands
Heya GTPlanet!
The final endurance race of the GT League is the 30 laps of Suzuka, and you can only do it in a Porsche 911 RSR. I think it's very tricky to drive, and often have the back-end stepping out at the hairpin or first corner, at braking or coasting lower speeds. Anyone got a fix?

I made my LSD settings for that 5-5-60 (Initial - Accel - Braking). That solved like 85% of its tail sliding nature.

I typically go same stiff spring rates at front and back, with ride height being slightly higher on rear to help with cornering. Front ride height being minimum.

Assume you're driving with the DS4?

You can dial out all the oversteer by adding more decel (as @sumbrownkid says) and also adding +ve rear toe, but it will make the car an understeering pig to drive... and the GT3RS has horrible understeer before adding any extra decel or toe.

Much better to work on your skills/technique... it's not a difficult car to drive if you're sensitive with your inputs. Keep practicing... it will make you a better driver.

@Stotty I drive with a DS4 also. And it likes to make my car pull left from time to time whenever I brake. Both of my DS4s actually need to be fixed/replaced. The other one sometimes attacks me mid corner where the input just halves itself. Meaning if I'm full left of right, the DS4 registers as if I'm steering only half as much.

Personally, I find the GT3 RS to be neutral to oversteery, but I always chalked it up to me being a DS4 user.

Assume you're driving with the DS4?

You can dial out all the oversteer by adding more decel (as @sumbrownkid says) and also adding +ve rear toe, but it will make the car an understeering pig to drive... and the GT3RS has horrible understeer before adding any extra decel or toe.

Much better to work on your skills/technique... it's not a difficult car to drive if you're sensitive with your inputs. Keep practicing... it will make you a better driver.

Driving with a T300 wheel actually! Maybe that's actually causing the problem, because the hairpin is the only corner where I've to turn the wheel over 45 degrees left for the optimal lap time (sensitivity already maxed). It grips perfectly at the front but loses it on the rear when there's no aero grip. It's also slightly a banked corner I think. Maybe at root is overturning the wheel.

Tnx!

Hmmmm... is the rear of the car rotating as you come off the brakes? (brake release oversteer).

I haven't had any problems with this on the GT3RS (running ABS only), but might be your particular driving/braking style... I'm running brake bias at -2.

If you're having to use a lot of lock to get round the hairpin try lowering your entry speed slightly and using a wider entry - make sure you're on the extreme right hand side of the track as you approach so you can narrow the entry angle as much as possible, and be careful not to push the front in to understeer at all on the way in.

As a last resort, you could use counter steer assist, which I would expect to stop any over rotation on entry.

You do find the rear weight shift is more noticed at this spot, don't change settings, change your line (in / out ) and your speed.

Slow down turn in late to clip the apex on the exit side (not the centre of apex) now straight line to the off side curb as you accelerate towards the motor bike chicane

Check my setup. Its for Racing Hard Tyres. Search the title | Garage (Steering Wheel tunes) The setup its made to interlagos but it Works in suzuka.

I oriented myself to this setup. Right at the beginning.

Traction:0

Breake and accelerate...very carefully.

You win the race with two minutes lead.

Last edited:
I made my LSD settings for that 5-5-60 (Initial - Accel - Braking). That solved like 85% of its tail sliding nature.

I typically go same stiff spring rates at front and back, with ride height being slightly higher on rear to help with cornering. Front ride height being minimum.

Thanks for the tip.
I'm using g29, and was struggling to get this around the hairpin, and it would lock up horrendously every lap coming up to those dead slow square turns.
Used your diff settings, now she's sweet as a peach.
Many thanks

Heya GTPlanet!
The final endurance race of the GT League is the 30 laps of Suzuka, and you can only do it in a Porsche 911 RSR. I think it's very tricky to drive, and often have the back-end stepping out at the hairpin or first corner, at braking or coasting lower speeds. Anyone got a fix?

From Jeje6410 Tunes

Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991) '16

498 ch
460,8 Nm
1349 kg
RR

Ratio power 100% niveau 1
Ratio weight reduction 95% niveau 2

Traction control

Tires
Sport Soft

Brakes front/rear distribution