Setup vs. Setup: Lotus Elise Motorsport

• Thread starter sucahyo
  • 31 comments
Car: fully tuned NA Lotus Elise Motorsport with all mods
Track: Autumn Ring

On default setting I feel the car spin happy, it understeer initially but become oversteer after. The gear feel looooooong. The car jiggle on many places in track. Even using super soft tire the car still feel slippery.
Tuning this car would be fun :).

Yeah, i'm looking forward to getting this mess shipshape. I saw a Lotus Elise in real life. They're so cool-looking and small...they look out of place trying to go 35 miles per hour in pedestrian traffic! Also, a brand new Rolls Royce pulled into my station the other day. If you haven't seen one, the new ones are BIG. Everyone stopped what they were doing just to stare at it.

Well here is my go at the car.

1:24:197/All mods NA/No Tuning/Normal Tires
The car handles good, but found that you have to let the car drift
a little or it's hard to drive.

1:22:631/All mods NA/Tuning/Normal Tires
The car is alot more stable and you don't need to drift the car
as much as before. Here is my settings.

10.5/12.5
74/74
4/4
3/3
3.0/1.0
0.00/0.00
6/6
16/16
15​

1:17:712/All mods NA/Tuning/Super Soft Tires
Same setup as before, and I have to say the car handles and brakes
alot better, but the car still wants to drift but I can control it. Now for turbo:).

same laptime :).

Lotus Motorsport Elise
at Autumn Ring

Pros:
Light, agile, nice engine sound, nice bodywork.

Cons:
Usual MR spin, too light, spiky engine, slippery tire.

Driving:
At stock, this car is very hard too handle, refuse to turn at corner entry, attempt to spin on corner exit, jiggle happily, run out of breath on each gear change, tend to turn at the road slope, etc :lol:. So, the first thing I touch is the gear. The HP curve is steep so I make the gear ratio as close as possible (tranny trick :) ). I settle with 210 kpmh top speed, which I think is enough for this track.

Drag ride height is a must so I leave it alone :P. Next is spring rate, ignoring the jiggle, I feel 9.0 has the best feeling for me. I increase the rear a little just as an obligation for heavier rear car. Then LSD, when driving this car I found that I mostly have problem with throttle lift off oversteer, so I use higehr initial LSD. As I don't have much problem on accelerating or braking I don't use accel and decel LSD.

After trying some combination of damper and stabilizer I feel the lower front damper and higher rear stabilizer is fine. Jiggle is mostly gone but the mid corner oversteer is still exist. I can't do anything about it, even LSD doesn't help, so I use my drift sustaining setup, +0.20 rear toe. It reduce the rear swaying a little and somehow make my laptime a bit faster.

Brake tuning take a bit longer than expected because I never guess that braking can change my driving style drastically :crazy:. I start from 1/1 BBC. It feels the rear is very aggresive on braking, so I increase front BBC to 12. It handle good but I still not satisfy. I change front BBC to 24. It become very understeer on braking, refuse to turn even after releasing the brake. Using 18 give lesser effect but still understeer. After some testing I find 15 is perfect.
Wait not yet, after driving AngelCreator's car I notice my brake is weaker :ouch:. Change it to 24/10, hopefully better :rolleyes:.

Tuning Chart:
Spring Rate: 8.5 - 9.5
Ride Height: 74 - 115
Damper Bound: 1 - 10
Damper Rebound: 1 - 10
Camber: 0.0 - 0.0
Toe: 0.00 - +0.20
Stabilizer: 1 - 7

Brake Balance: 24/10

Gear: Auto 1 at 3.200
1st - 4.555
2nd - 3.432
3rd - 2.671
4th - 2.164
5th - 1.778
Final Drive - 2.500

Downforce: N/A
LSD Initial: 40
LSD Accelerate: 1
LSD Decelerate: 1

Lap time: 1:17.xxx
(using auto and supersoft tire)

AngelCreator
What is this "Tranny Trick":confused:?
A way to make 1st and 5th gear closer, just like making 1st gear lower and 5th gear higher.
change final drive to something, change auto to 1, and then change the final drive to smaller. The result is smaller distance between 1st and 5th. If you lower the 1st gear and increase the 5th gear after this, you get very short gearing.

sucahyo
A way to make 1st and 5th gear closer, just like making 1st gear lower and 5th gear higher.
change final drive to something, change auto to 1, and then change the final drive to smaller. The result is smaller distance between 1st and 5th. If you lower the 1st gear and increase the 5th gear after this, you get very short gearing.

Thats cool:tup:, I will have to try that. Well here are my times for the turbo.

1:20:033/All mods Turbo/No Tuning/Normal Tires
Same as NA, it's just alot faster and has more wheel spin which mean the car drifts more:scared:.

1:19:737/All mods Turbo/Tuning/Normal Tires
Same settings as the NA, but because there's more HP, the car still has
too much wheel spin and that means that the car drifts too much:scared:.

1:15:761/All mods Turbo/Tuning/Super Soft Tires
The tires help alot, the car has more grip on the
rear and like before the handling and braking is better:).

@sucahyo
I tried your settings and I have to say that there good settings, and I
found that I can drive really good:D, but I can't tune cars at all:(.
Well here are those times.

1:16:253 with NA and Super Soft Tires
1:13:757 with Turbo and Super Soft Tires

And that tranny trick works good:).

Well, I still in the process of learning too :) (both driving and tuning). I learn how to utilize camber in cobra, and now learning to utilize toe and initial LSD. I want the car to be faster with shorter gear and drag ride height. I should learn how to get close those quick time more 👍. I am surprise that you find default MS Elise would be easy to drive :dopey:.

I found out that tranny trick work in 300mph quest too :).

Where is Parnelli Bone? I want to see some times and his setup.
And I want to see what he thinks of mine and sucahyo setups.

AngelCreator
Where is Parnelli Bone? I want to see some times and his setup.
And I want to see what he thinks of mine and sucahyo setups.

Sorry guys. I have a day off on Thrusday so i'll get some Elise action done. I actually did buy one, and was doing an hour's worth of driving at Autumn Ring but i eventualy realized i forgot to buy a race kit.

Never mind. YOu can't buy a race-kit so i got Stage 3 reduction. Hey did anyone else notice that when you look in the mirror you can see dashed lines in the middle of the track? This is only in Sectors 1 and 2 i think. There are no lines on this track!

Drove the Motorsport Elise totally stock like i always do at first. Gotta say: if you drive this car wrong when it's stock, all you'll get is oversteer and near-spins. Once you start to figure it out, you get alot more understeer.

This is a very ‘iffy’*car. In my first 3 laps i was having fun...getting the feel of the Lotus and undersliding into the turns (understeer + sliding) but once i really tried to nail it and get it to behave, i found the Elise almost frustrating to drive. YOu really have to brake EARLY and once you're in the turns it almost feels like you're crawling at times, and you're STILL understeering! After 13 laps i managed a best time of 1:26.392. I think if you're inside the limits, the Elise is extremely agile and responsive, but once you're really pushing it, it just doesn't wanna play anymore.

So with the Stage 1 NA and untuned racing suspension, brakes, and lsd, i found the front-end gets extremely grippy. I immediately switched the front tires from Super-Soft to Soft. I didn't feel the need for a full-racing transmission...the close-ratio one felt fine to me. Overall the Lotus still feels like a snake but at least i got it to do what i wanted. By this point i was so used to braking early that i had trouble dropping the habit in my car after i tuned it.

Spings: 8.6 - 7.4 kg/mm
Ride: 100 / 90 mm
B. Dampers: 4/3
R. Dampers: 6/3
Camber: 2.6 / 1.0°
Toe: nada
Stabilizer: 4/3

Brakes: 14/18

Tranny: close gears (sports)

Limited Slip: 15/30/16
Tires: Soft / Super Soft

Best time: 1:18.881 (3 laps)

I see what you mean Sucahyo about the jiggling. I'm so glad we didn't do this one at Seattle Short like that last Lotus...remember?

I'll do a turbo run and try to drive your cars tomorrow.

Parnelli Bone
Hey did anyone else notice that when you look in the mirror you can see dashed lines in the middle of the track? This is only in Sectors 1 and 2 i think. There are no lines on this track!
You right!, I never use front view so I never notice 👍.

Parnelli Bone
By this point i was so used to braking early that i had trouble dropping the habit in my car after i tuned it.
:lol:, I do that too many times ...

Parnelli Bone
I see what you mean Sucahyo about the jiggling. I'm so glad we didn't do this one at Seattle Short like that last Lotus...remember?
Yes :), I remember how lively the lotus was :lol:.

As usual, your car feel more calmer than mine. From spin behaviour its about the same. The jiggle feels less in your car. The car feels more understeer when pushed hard, but this also make the car more relaxing to drive :).

Maybe we should use higher ride height for this Elise to make it more calm.

sucahyo
Maybe we should use higher ride height for this Elise to make it more calm.

I tend to use higher ride on tracks that are bumpy and/or have lots of tight curves, and Autumn Ring has both bumps and tight curves. I was attempting to try and see how i could drive with the in-car view...it made me drive better (less near-spins) but it also immediately added 2 seconds to my lap time. Yuck.

I've said this before in some other thread but yeah, i only use Chase 2 in GT1 & 2...that just the way it worked out. Occasionally i'll switch for variety but 95% of the time i'm using Chase 2.

In GT3 i'm much better when i use in-car view. This includes sports cars as well as my PT Cruiser.

Off-topic, but did you happen to see that drifting contest on TV Sucahyo? I don't know if you get ESPN Speed channel where you live but recently a new Mustang won the competition against a bunch of traditional Japanese drift winners.

Too bad I can't watch that :(. But it seem a lot of GT4 player moved by this and trying to drift Mustang too. But as GT4 Mustang is heavily understeer, they have to use extreme tuning like extreme tire stagger, really heavy ballast, etc. No one else using huge rear camber and zero front camber at the same time just like what I did :P.

Again I have been proven I can drive:tup:, but I can't tune:tdown:.
Here are the times using Parnelli Bone's settings.

1:14:607(with turbo)
1:17:004(with NA)

I don't know what am not doing right, but my times with my settings are
not as fast as with your settings, sucahyo or parnelli:(.

AngelCreator
Maybe you shouldn't use default setting when you start your tuning. Start with all zero and then test each change you made, one setting at a time. After you done, compare with default setting to see the improvement.

sucahyo
Maybe you shouldn't use default setting when you start your tuning. Start with all zero and then test each change you made, one setting at a time. After you done, compare with default setting to see the improvement.

Hmm....:indiff:, I think I will try that on both GT2 and GT4. Thanks for the help:tup:.
I have something to ask you sucahyo, can you or do you make hybrids on GT2
with your computer? I can and I wanted to know if you can.

AngelCreator
I have something to ask you sucahyo, can you or do you make hybrids on GT2
with your computer?
Yes I can. I usually do it using memory editor mode, I don't use gameshark code much. But I prefer equiping car with abnormal mods than using another engine. 343hp Midget, stage 1 NA AND stage 1 turbo is fun, just like 154hp stage 4 turbo :D.

sucahyo
Yes I can. I usually do it using memory editor mode, I don't use gameshark code much. But I prefer equiping car with abnormal mods than using another engine. 343hp Midget, stage 1 NA AND stage 1 turbo is fun, just like 154hp stage 4 turbo :D.

Sounds fun:lol:, Maybe I can get that save file from you. I have some cool
cars too, like a 1000HP Skyline and a '98 Mustang SVT with the motor from
the GT90:D. If you want I can put my save file here so you can download it.
What I use is a program called gtedit and PSXGameEdit, I use PSXGameEdit to
get the save from the memorycard file and use gtedit to edit it.

Too bad, my mod can't be saved.
How about 3392hp Mine R34 with original sound?

Use this (NTSC 1.2):
D116E8F2 0000
8017005E 0001
D116E8F2 0000
80170062 0001

8017005E for Stage 1 NA, 80170062 for stage 1 turbo. This should make most car have quadraple hp. If not work it will display 0 hp.
since I just create this code randomly, I don't know what happen in other screen :P.

AngelCreator
Again I have been proven I can drive:tup:, but I can't tune:tdown:.
Here are the times using Parnelli Bone's settings.

1:14:607(with turbo)
1:17:004(with NA)

This is why in real life Ashenbach drives the Porsche but JoeBob gets to tune it :D

My 1st post (got ps2 and GT4 last month - imma noob) - 8o)

Awright,

I had the hots for this car and finally saved up the cash to get it - '99 MS Elise!

Ok, it sat in the garage for a few months collecting dust - greased and cleaned, new wing added...

Find out I cannot win some of the Pro races with the my little 'DaiCopen 180Z' anymore - nice point grabber... (round 138hp and tops out at 180mph)

OK, I decide to tune this Lotus to the max for the Pro races - hit the Nurb for some dialing in - I did the works to it, All tires, full engine mods, all turbos, etc etc etc.

Hit the track, it handles like a 90 year old cripple on crack... do some of my regular tweaks, it dont do any good. I do manage to get it to run offroad (the side of the track, any track) well enough, hehe. (I like a car that can handle a bit of offroading if I really need to recover from a bad turn).

I jump online and search and it leads me here - messed up Lotus MS Elise...

OK - I read up ya folks test on Deep Forrest.. Cool. I try it out on my last setting and hit between 1.18 and 1.30 times... yuk.

I set it back to base with everything I can - still using RSS tires and the engine mods I cannot change. I am not a pro at this track yet, but I saw that some of you were getting respectable times on this track with this car at around 1.15... It took a few tries and some modding, but I think I got this car handled now:

Deep Forrest - 1999 Lotus Motor Sport Elise - Full Max Mods - 350HP - RSS Tires - Aerodynamics, etc..

Time : 1.11.201

Exhaust - Racing
Chip - Sports
Turbo - Stage 3
Tires - Racing Super-Soft
Brakes - Racing
Brake Ctrlr - Equiped : 2/3
NOS - Got it, but only for dialing in tranny, the 1/4Mile, and top end
runs.
Suspension - Racing : 9/12
90/90
2/3
8/9
3.0/0.5
1/0
3/3
Tranny - Full Custom - Set at 9 and dialed in for a lil more top end :
and Final @ 4.200 - ya notice I like nice clean numbers...
Clutch - 3-Plate
Flywheel - Racing
Driving Aids - 10/10/5
Downforce - 15/20
Full LSD - 8/32/16 - those dang numbers! 8o)

So, yea - it's not the fastest around this track, but I know I can get this car set up just like this to break 1.10 fairly easily, but 1.11:2 is pretty fast. It will take the turns easily, and if you are in a bind - just HIT THE GAS! Oddly enough, it works... It can find it's own line when you position yourself fairly well. I just don't care for the lil jerks and twitches and when ya hit curbs it flies a little - but other than that, this car is turning out to be everything I wanted it to be - a little more time in-game and some races and tuning and it will run like the wind. I am glad I didn't ditch it for the basic Elise!

Ohh yea - that lil 'DaiCopen 180Z' I mentioned? - heh, after gettin my cousin GT4 and 'babysitting' him on weekends - we did some pretty serious races with his Midget II... and every race was 200pts! I had to drill it into him that it wasnt so much the car as it was the driver. After getting around 14 second runs on the 1/4 mile and telling him this is more than a decent time for any car and having him run slower on semi-blown cars, he had 2nd thoughts about the Midget...

So, after he left, I did some more Gold Licensing on my new game, I took a breather after getting burned out and pulled up my older noob game and got a Daihatsu Copen Detachable and blew it out to the max and dialed it in at the *EDIT: Capri Rally-Easy :EDIT* for some extra cash - saves time tuning and gets me spendin money at the same time.

SO - yea, my lil 180Z beats base Elises and other roadsters and spiders - but its a battle from the git'go - NOS'ing it like mad. Thing is - it's so light and handles soo precisely - stops on a dime literally - it can out turn the big boys - NOS with top speed around 176 to 180mph! Thing is - I have a feeling the boys that build GT4 limits some cars - I had room to spare after hitting 180.001 mph on the top speed run track...

Anywho - Hope this helps some with the Lotus MS Elise...

D

ps - got a regular 350Z at stock 301 HP that will get under 7 mins on the Nurb - Smooth as Silk!... my favorite track. 7.03 and I know I made mistakes. (No NOS or engine mods)

EDIT : Oops! This is 'sposed to be for GT4! My bad! 8o(
2nd EDIT : Heh - so new I forgot the exact Special Condition Event name...

Hrmm,

I might be stepping out of bounds continuing to post here, but I will chance it since the car is the same model, I believe, and there aren't too many differences between game versions.

I managed to get this car dialed in fairly well for Nurb. Thing is, the better I get it dialed in, the slower it gets...

Ok - Full mods, ss tires, big turbo, etc...

Brakes - 16/14
Suspension - 4.0/5.5
82/82
2/2
8/8
0/0
0/-4
4/4
Tranny [15](Nurb Ver.) - 2.770
Driving Aids - 20/20/0
Downforce - 4/16
Limited Slip - 20/30/20

The thing is tons more stable on the seriously high speed sections of Nurb, but it seems too tame around the technical turns and breaking areas. I tend to prefer semi-drifting around the turns, but the stability I have with this setting is what I want more than ripping turns well.

My next project with this car is to make it stable AND rip the turns and handle the technical stuff like a vacuum cleaner with teeth!

BTW - I have all 4 versions of GT and TT as well - all due to needing a DVD player for my new TV - old one died and it took me nearly a year to get a new one. I had some consoles in the day, but preferred the PC for all gaming and entertainment - - - til I discovered GT4!!! My thumbs hate me, but I'm lovin every minute of it! 8o) I will be workin' the other GT's and TT when I need breaks from GT4... hehe.

D

Back