Shadow Drifter's Retirement Video: Drifting For Friends And Family

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shadow Drifter
  • 71 comments
  • 2,839 views
Originally posted by Ryen49
You won't get anything out of me, now I'm gonna go drift in gt3. My New S15 needs some more tuning done to it.

That's the spirit, Ryan. 👍 I think I'll work on my S15, as well.....


;)
 
same here, well shadow here is a good salute
salute.gif
 
Originally posted by Der Alta
This is what disappoints me. One of the more knowledgeable and intelligent people on GTP leaving because of the attitude prevalent in one particular forum. With all that GTP has to offer, we all manage to drive away good quality members.

My lack of attention to keeping the order, others lack of ability to contribute to the order. We're all at fault.

So now it's time for me to step up and keep this place presentable and respectable.

More to come...

AO
About this AO, the reason i think that he left is because that he had no more time for GT3.
 
That and because of what the GT3 drifting forum has turned into.
 
Originally posted by Ryen49
That and because of what the GT3 drifting forum has turned into.

I'm pretty sure it has more to do with the latter. Just go read the "Drifting forum turning into stupidville" thread.
 
HEY I KNOW NOBODY KNOWS ME BUT I BEEN READING ALL THE POSTS AND THREAD WELL SOME OF THEM THE IMPORTANT ONES BUT YEAH...................

SHADOW DRIFTER WAS GREAT I SEEN ALL HIS VIDS ALL ALL HIS SAYING AND I WAS THE FAREWELL VID AND YES THE EDITING WAS GREAT AND YEAH SHADOW YOU ARE RICK JAMES HA HA HA I SEEN THE VID
WELL HOPE YOU COME BACK FOR GT4 PEACE OUT
 
Originally posted by NISMODRIFTER-23
HEY I KNOW NOBODY KNOWS ME BUT I BEEN READING ALL THE POSTS AND THREAD WELL SOME OF THEM THE IMPORTANT ONES BUT YEAH...................

SHADOW DRIFTER WAS GREAT I SEEN ALL HIS VIDS ALL ALL HIS SAYING AND I WAS THE FAREWELL VID AND YES THE EDITING WAS GREAT AND YEAH SHADOW YOU ARE RICK JAMES HA HA HA I SEEN THE VID
WELL HOPE YOU COME BACK FOR GT4 PEACE OUT

I think you might have leaned on your caps lock..... I'm sure that's what happened.....

Seriously though..... Turn off the caps lock, it makes you look like an ignorant noob........


;)
 
Hey im gonna go drift too, im gonna go hit up the settings depot (I sense this going into a IM session) Anyways, GL Shadowdrifter and thanks for the drift bible, I learned new techniques.
 
Originally posted by NISMODRIFTER-23
HEY I KNOW NOBODY KNOWS ME BUT I BEEN READING ALL THE POSTS AND THREAD WELL SOME OF THEM THE IMPORTANT ONES BUT YEAH...................

SHADOW DRIFTER WAS GREAT I SEEN ALL HIS VIDS ALL ALL HIS SAYING AND I WAS THE FAREWELL VID AND YES THE EDITING WAS GREAT AND YEAH SHADOW YOU ARE RICK JAMES HA HA HA I SEEN THE VID
WELL HOPE YOU COME BACK FOR GT4 PEACE OUT
i think that was the reason why. the world of gtp will never know
 
Originally posted by silviadrifter

Seriously though..... Turn off the caps lock, it makes you look like an ignorant noob........


;)

Too late... :p :lol:
 
Many thanks to all who have watched the video and left the responses. I really do appreciate it. I sincerely appreciate all of the good-bye's from everyone, even those who do not know me, it really means a lot. I do see a little bit of newbie action going on around here, but HEY, it's all good, we're all just out to have a good time right?

Well gang, I'm off to sleep, because it's past midnight and I have to wake up early . . .as all Marines do:lol: :lol:

I'll stop by again later on and see who else has viewed my little composition. HA!!



Semper Fidelis
Shadow Drifter
 
Are you in the marines or leaving for boot camp? I remember when I had to leave for boot camp when I joined the air force last year... sad times leaving GTP behind for so long...
 
i think marines because they would let him carry around a glock 45 or buy a skyline in japan
 
I'm going to be the party crasher now, but that video was pretty mediocre.

The cars are nearly seen longer on the straights than in corners. Some dramatic compression by cutting the approaches as well as the latter part of exits might have helped there.

On the other hand the editing during the drifts looks like ADD medication-withdrawal to me. Now, I didn't expect Konrad Hall tranquility, but it's just too badly chopped, destroying the flow and coherency of action with music from a jumping gramophone.

And in addition to that there technical deficits that can be excused though, like uneven brightness, lacking contrast and bad compression.


STOP BEING SUCH DRAMA QUEENS.


(And who needs 4 minutes of credits in a 10 minute video?)
 
then why did u post here? we just lost a fellow drifter
 
To represent my differing opinion.


"Lost"?

He's not dead yet. And I didn't know there was any special worth beyond being human in being a drifter.
 
im noting going to argue about this, just leave it at this
 
Originally posted by Satorian
I'm going to be the party crasher now, but that video was pretty mediocre.

The cars are nearly seen longer on the straights than in corners. Some dramatic compression by cutting the approaches as well as the latter part of exits might have helped there.

On the other hand the editing during the drifts looks like ADD medication-withdrawal to me. Now, I didn't expect Konrad Hall tranquility, but it's just too badly chopped, destroying the flow and coherency of action with music from a jumping gramophone.

And in addition to that there technical deficits that can be excused though, like uneven brightness, lacking contrast and bad compression.


STOP BEING SUCH DRAMA QUEENS.


(And who needs 4 minutes of credits in a 10 minute video?)


I think the green-eyed monster has finally reared it's ugly head. I was waiting for this to happen, as I knew it would only be a matter of time before it did.

I'm sorry you didn't like the video, but to me, it seems that everyone else at least enjoyed it. It also seems that you aren't a very frequent member of this post or a good editor at that. You maybe a self-proclaimed critic, but an editor you are not. So when you show me that you have completed at least on Sony/Sonic Foundry class for editing and Vegas Video Software Production, or you can prove to me that a company such as SquareSoft wants YOU to sign up with them as soon as you complete college then come back to me and I'll let you criticize all you want.

Until then, be cool and learn who you are dealing with before you wind up having your feelings hurt.



Semper Fidelis
Shadow Drifter
 
Originally posted by Shadow Drifter
I think the green-eyed monster has finally reared it's ugly head. I was waiting for this to happen, as I knew it would only be a matter of time before it did.

I'm sorry you didn't like the video, but to me, it seems that everyone else at least enjoyed it. It also seems that you aren't a very frequent member of this post or a good editor at that. You maybe a self-proclaimed critic, but an editor you are not. So when you show me that you have completed at least on Sony/Sonic Foundry class for editing and Vegas Video Software Production, or you can prove to me that a company such as SquareSoft wants YOU to sign up with them as soon as you complete college then come back to me and I'll let you criticize all you want.

Until then, be cool and learn who you are dealing with before you wind up having your feelings hurt.



Semper Fidelis
Shadow Drifter

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing out of spite: I just happen to not like the video and be here first.
People tend to get overly enthusiastic on the Internet creating a SNAFU for everyone that expresses himself creatively or artistically on the net.
You may get yourself into delusions of grandeur or you might face the fact that some people have no personal ties to you and base their criticism on your work and not on the possibly nice person behind it.
I wouldn't be so quick to demonize differing opinions and the people behind them.

And, no, I'm neither a frequent visitor to this post nor a frequent poster on GTP in general, but I fail to see the connection to the perception of a movie, so I don't understand why you connect this fact nearly excusingly to my bad rating of the movie. Face it, not being a frequent visitor doesn't make my judgement any less valid.
I'm not a "self-proclaimed critic". I am simply a critic. Just like everyone else I happen to like specific things and tend to dislike other things. Movies and visual presentations just happen to fall into my field of interest so I allow myself fairly differentiated and critical judgements. Those do not have to be taken as personal attacks though.
And as I never exposed any work it should be fairly difficult to assess my abilites or what I "am". For all you know I could be the genetically engineered bastard love child of Scorsese, Kubrick, Fincher and Proyas.

Having the sharpest pencil or the palette with the most colors in analogy to your mentioned mastery of certain programs doesn't necessarily make the best art, - or artist for that matter.

And it's not necessary to personally judge the works of other people either. If you want to read a fairly long elaboration of the debated qualification of a non-artist to judge art, read the biography of Marcel Reich-Ranicki on the topic of literary critic.


Until then, be cool and learn who you are dealing with before you wind up having your feelings hurt.

And you know what's really lame? Making threats over the Internet or sounding like a gay priest about to fondle a boy.
 
Well, you want to know what's really sad!!!! A ten year old can drift better then me!:banghead: Of course, that does give me hope to the future, heh heh.

As far as Satorian goes. Well, if you don't like it, fine. Show us your drift video and we'll compare it. If yo have one, or more, post the links here and we'll all take a look and give you an honest opinion. Until then, it's rather foolish to rag on someone elses stuff without your own goods to back it up.

That's all I"m going to say on that.
 
Originally posted by Swift
Well, you want to know what's really sad!!!! A ten year old can drift better then me!:banghead:

:LOL: It sound so funny.
Just practice if you want to be better then that 10 year old guy ;)
 
Cosmic: On top of it all, it was a girl man!!!! But I did just start on Thursday of last week, so I guess I have a lot of practice to do eh?
 
very well done video and very nice work, take care and good luck dude!!!!!
 
I hate to say this, and I didn't want to bring it up.... This video is definitely an improvement (editing), it still has many problems (as Satorian stated)....... He was just being honest, and I agree with his critiquing of the editing..... I love ya to death, Shadow, but it looked like you tried to use every transition you could get your hands on, which IMHO looks too busy (takes away from the drifting), and looks a little amature. Also the light levels could have been adjusted better..... I didn't want to say anything, as it's your last vid, and it was such a touching vid..... However, once again, the editing could have been done much better.... Taking classes only teaches you the tools... It's much harder to learn to edit well, and keep the flow......

I know you all are just trying to stick up for a friend (Shadow Drifter), and I understand that... He's my friend as well.... However, when someone gives good editing advice, like Satorian has, keep an open mind, and pay attention..... Judging from his posts, he does have knowledge of editing, and even good taste in directors (although, I think you should have included Darren Aronofsky ).......

I will miss you greatly, Shadow... You have been an important part of what makes this the #1 GT site, and if you don't come back when GT4 arives, I 'm going to fly over there, and give you a large kick in the hindquarters....... (BTW, your sis is quite good)......

Satorian, I hope this does not stop you from posting more, as I can tell you have knowledge to bring to the converstaion.... We need more input from users such as yourself.....




;)
 
Thanks for mediating in such a fit manner. :)
Nothing to add. Everybody has got to learn and move on.

If you want to see something very illuminating about the importance of artistic medium, manual skill and presentation, watch the sand animation by Cako made at SICAF: http://media.ebaumsworld.com/sandsicaf.wmv

And if you want to see some well made racing/drifting videos from within a game or sim, try looking up JoeCool's videos. An example is here: http://windestam.com/lfs-movies/Joe Cool LFS.mpg and http://windestam.com/lfs-movies/LFS NAL - 360 track.wmv .


OT:
You got me on the Arronofsky comment. Thought about him after posting.
Problem is my love/hate-relationship with him, or rather a part of his fans. Loved "Pi", accepted "Requiem". The problem is the rabid following Requiem attracted making this quite-good-but-not-really-up-there-movie one of the most overrated on the Internet. (Followed by Donnie Darko :lol: )
Will follow his work closely though.

Thought about Nolan as well, but not sure if he gets the curve. Memento is a masterpiece despite some so-so support acting by the female half of the Matrix actors they pulled in, but watching "Following" made me unsure. Although Following has a distinct style and atmosphere there are similarities that go beyond the "allowed trademarking" in my opinion. Insomnia sets itself apart from that but then again makes me miss some originality and "WOW-effect".
(On Memento: Joe Pantoliano and Guy Pearce are some incredibly diverse actors. It's sometimes hard to recognize them from movie to movie going by their acting and mannerisms.)
Linklater came to mind to, who is incredibly underrated in public opinion I think.

And the last thing I wanted to add while on my short movie spree here, which is what I tell EVERYBODY interested in movies: If you liked "Fight Club" by Fincher, read the book by Palahniuk. I gained SO MUCH additional appreciation for his adaptation for trasnsporting the raw energy and raw style while reading the book.
"High-Fidelity", while deviating from the book quite a bit, is another awesome adaptation for it's fine balance between keeping the originals spirit and adding a new, own twist at which many adaptations trying the same fail.
 
Originally posted by Satorian
Thanks for mediating in such a fit manner. :)
Nothing to add. Everybody has got to learn and move on.

If you want to see something very illuminating about the importance of artistic medium, manual skill and presentation, watch the sand animation by Cako made at SICAF: http://media.ebaumsworld.com/sandsicaf.wmv

And if you want to see some well made racing/drifting videos from within a game or sim, try looking up JoeCool's videos. An example is here: http://windestam.com/lfs-movies/Joe Cool LFS.mpg .


OT:
You got me on the Arronofsky comment. Thought about him after posting.
Problem is my love/hate-relationship with him, or rather a part of his fans. Loved "Pi", accepted "Requiem". The problem is the rabid following Requiem attracted making this quite-good-but-not-really-up-there-movie one of the most overrated on the Internet. (Followed by Donnie Darko :lol: )
Will follow his work closely though.

Thought about Nolan as well, but not sure if he gets the curve. Memento is a masterpiece despite some so-so support acting by the female half of the Matrix actors they pulled in, but watching "Following" made me unsure. Although Following has a distinct style and atmosphere there are similarities that go beyond the "allowed trademarking" in my opinion. Insomnia sets itself apart from that but then again makes me miss some originality and "WOW-effect".
(On Memento: Joe Pantoliano and Guy Pearce are some incredibly diverse actors. It's sometimes hard to recognize them from movie to movie going by their acting and mannerisms.)
Linklater came to mind to, who is incredibly underrated in public opinion I think.

And the last thing I wanted to add while on my short movie spree here, which is what I tell EVERYBODY interested in movies: If you liked "Fight Club" by Fincher, read the book by Palahniuk. I gained SO MUCH additional appreciation for his adaptation for trasnsporting the raw energy and raw style while reading the book.
"High-Fidelity", while deviating from the book quite a bit, is another awesome adaptation for it's fine balance between keeping the originals spirit and adding a new, own twist at which many adaptations trying the same fail.

I agree completely......

I absolutely loved "Pi", and while I did enjoy "Requiem for a Dream", I can see what you mean... Also, "Donnie Darko" is by far one of the most overated films (as far as hype is concerned)... I did not really enjoy that movie too much... I found the acting to be second rate, and while the plot was an interesting concept, it wasn't put together well......

While I don't want to hijack this thread any further (please PM me the answers), I must know your opinion of such films as:

Adaptation
Eternal Sunshine (of a spotless mind)
Jackob's Ladder


Once again, I apologize for hijacking this thread... It's just not very often I get to talk to someone with my taste in art, and film......



;)
 
Farewell Shadow Drifter... Good luck with your future endeavours..
 
Originally posted by Satorian
Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing out of spite: I just happen to not like the video and be here first.
People tend to get overly enthusiastic on the Internet creating a SNAFU for everyone that expresses himself creatively or artistically on the net.
You may get yourself into delusions of grandeur or you might face the fact that some people have no personal ties to you and base their criticism on your work and not on the possibly nice person behind it.
I wouldn't be so quick to demonize differing opinions and the people behind them.

And, no, I'm neither a frequent visitor to this post nor a frequent poster on GTP in general, but I fail to see the connection to the perception of a movie, so I don't understand why you connect this fact nearly excusingly to my bad rating of the movie. Face it, not being a frequent visitor doesn't make my judgement any less valid.
I'm not a "self-proclaimed critic". I am simply a critic. Just like everyone else I happen to like specific things and tend to dislike other things. Movies and visual presentations just happen to fall into my field of interest so I allow myself fairly differentiated and critical judgements. Those do not have to be taken as personal attacks though.
And as I never exposed any work it should be fairly difficult to assess my abilites or what I "am". For all you know I could be the genetically engineered bastard love child of Scorsese, Kubrick, Fincher and Proyas.

Having the sharpest pencil or the palette with the most colors in analogy to your mentioned mastery of certain programs doesn't necessarily make the best art, - or artist for that matter.

And it's not necessary to personally judge the works of other people either. If you want to read a fairly long elaboration of the debated qualification of a non-artist to judge art, read the biography of Marcel Reich-Ranicki on the topic of literary critic.




And you know what's really lame? Making threats over the Internet or sounding like a gay priest about to fondle a boy.


I feel you bro. You caught me at a bad time, which I hate to use as an excuse, but you did, I appreciate all comments and criticisms that I recieve for my films. As a matter of fact, I welcome them. I will take what you said to heart and learn from them.
(A little Riddalin should be good for the movies next time:lol: )

Anyway, yeah bro, Sorry that I got so heated, I just got through replying to an email from SquareSoft saying that they "admire" my skills and that they are "greatly awaiting" my graduation from college, they are willing to hire me without an interview, which I think is totally unreal. (I think the USMC background might have a little something to do with that)

But I went from reading that, to reading that post and combining that with the fact that I hadn't more than 8 hours of sleep in 3 days made things very ansy. So, I appologize for that. I'm sorry.

Like I mentioned, I will take what you said and return to the drawing boards of my editing skills and just to prove to you that I have taken what you said seriously, I sat down and wrote what you said in my pro/con log book. Sony suggests that all aspiring editors keep one to keep records of what critics say so that you know what to do to please "everyone", but we all know that you can't please everyone all of the time.
I'll be DAMNED if I don't try.

I'm starting to ramble on, so thank you, Satorian, you're comments and critiques mean more to me than you think.


Semper Fidelis
Shadow Drifter
 
Hey, rock on. ;)

To quote the latest Soulfly record:

Learn - as if you'd live forever
Live - as if you'd die tomorrow

You'll improve your editing skills and I'll try to fight my own vanity when writing about other people's work. I guess I could have stated my points more matter of factly. :O

If you ever happen to lay your hands upon GT4 and go online we should do some racing and drifting. :p
 
Back