• Thread starter Spacegoat
  • 24 comments

Spacegoat

Really?
Premium
Australia
Corneria City
Orbital_Goat
Square Enix are set to announce the next Tomb Raider game tomorrow.

screenshot-www.tombraider.com-2018.03.15-11-17-19.png

Appears though that the internet has already worked out the details of the announcement, with the game to be called "Shadow of the Tomb Raider" and to be released on the 14th of September.

Last edited:
Super excited about this, Tomb Raider is one of my favorite series (since locking the butler in the freezer in III :lol:), even more so with these reboots. I see they stuck the the name Shadow of the Tomb Raider, which was leaked maybe a year ago.

Teaser trailer was nice, good to see some South/Central America jungle looking scenery, reminds me of the original Tomb Raiders. Looking forward to more info, but September 14 release is so far away.

Trailer was nice although no gamplay and the new screens show some pretty great looking environments. I really hope they improve the character/ story telling a bit. While the other 2 new Tomb Raiders were some of my favorite games, the side characters and the plot were a bit lacking. Certainly not on par with Uncharted in that regard. Can't wait to see more. I broke my no pre-order rule to get the "Croft" edition game.

Speaking of which, Uncharted anyone? :lol:
Shadow-of-The-Tomb-Raider-Screenshot-01-1068x601.jpg

Shadow-of-the-Tomb-Raider-Bild-61.jpg

Shadow-of-the-Tomb-Raider-Bild-4.jpg

Shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-10.jpg

While the other 2 new Tomb Raiders were some of my favorite games, the side characters and the plot were a bit lacking.

Maybe because it was the first Tomb Raider game I ever played. But I really liked the story in Tomb Raider a hell of a lot more than Rise of the Tomb Raider. Having said that, Rise is my favourite of the two, just because there was so much to do outside of the main story.
Speaking of which, Uncharted anyone? :lol:

Yes. :lol:

Picked this up after what felt like a LONG wait and after playing for a few hours I think I can say the game has exceeded my already high expectations. It's very good, a big step from the previous two Tomb Raiders in quality if you ask me. It feels like the developers sat down and played all the Uncharted games, took the best aspects of those and the previous Tomb Raiders and threw it into Shadow.

One thing is for sure, they managed to finally give Lara some personality, which was seriously lacking in the previous games. While not perfect (she still feels a bit bland and awkward), she now interacts with more characters in a way that feels like there is some depth to her. Without being too spoilery, you also get to tag along with a familiar character who provides dialogue in some areas as you explore, much like Uncharted.

The environments are breathtaking and far more detailed than I expected. Playing on a standard PS4, the graphics are just phenomenal. I find myself just looking around at everything. The jungles are full of sounds and lush greens and animals it really gives life to the areas. Oh and they added a photomode, which is nice. A bit basic, but it works fine enough.

Honestly, with no more Uncharted games to be seen in the near future, if at all, I think Tomb Raider can take it's place hopefully with all new installments after this 'prequel trilogy' of young Lara Croft. After all, it was Tomb Raider that came first. :sly:

Picked this up after what felt like a LONG wait and after playing for a few hours I think I can say the game has exceeded my already high expectations. It's very good, a big step from the previous two Tomb Raiders in quality if you ask me. It feels like the developers sat down and played all the Uncharted games, took the best aspects of those and the previous Tomb Raiders and threw it into Shadow.

One thing is for sure, they managed to finally give Lara some personality, which was seriously lacking in the previous games. While not perfect (she still feels a bit bland and awkward), she now interacts with more characters in a way that feels like there is some depth to her. Without being too spoilery, you also get to tag along with a familiar character who provides dialogue in some areas as you explore, much like Uncharted.

The environments are breathtaking and far more detailed than I expected. Playing on a standard PS4, the graphics are just phenomenal. I find myself just looking around at everything. The jungles are full of sounds and lush greens and animals it really gives life to the areas. Oh and they added a photomode, which is nice. A bit basic, but it works fine enough.

Honestly, with no more Uncharted games to be seen in the near future, if at all, I think Tomb Raider can take it's place hopefully with all new installments after this 'prequel trilogy' of young Lara Croft. After all, it was Tomb Raider that came first. :sly:

I've only had time to spend a short while with it so far but even so I can only echo all of this - but in particular this is a staggeringly beautiful game (I'm playing on PC and it really is something to behold). Even the very first gameplay section had me stopping and looking around.

Can't wait to get properly stuck into it at the weekend!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts... looking forward to picking this up when we get back from vacation, so will be 9-24 before I can get it, but I'm like you - love the Tomb Raider games, and, it's one of the few games my wife will "play" with me (in other words, sit on the couch and tell me where to go and what to do. HAhaha!).

Sounds like a step forward for the series.

Finally 100% completed the game last night. Took quite a while, the game is very large! Overall, the game was just epic, I loved every second of it

For those of you who beat the game:
I like how they wrapped up the origin trilogy, with Lara overcoming her parent's death. It does beg the question, where do they go from here? I don't think Lara's character in the reboot trilogy quite matches the Lara we grew up with, so I would love to see them go in a totally new direction, even overwriting the old character completely. Either way, looking forward to what they can do next.

Also, how about that after credits scene? The butler walks in with the shaking tea tray is clearly a nod to Tomb Raider 2 & 3. Everyone seemed to like locking that poor butler in the freezer. :lol: Also, the drawing on the wall with the dinosaur and the pyramids, a not to the very first Tomb Raider. Awesome.

Finally 100% completed the game last night. Took quite a while, the game is very large! Overall, the game was just epic, I loved every second of it

For those of you who beat the game:
I like how they wrapped up the origin trilogy, with Lara overcoming her parent's death. It does beg the question, where do they go from here? I don't think Lara's character in the reboot trilogy quite matches the Lara we grew up with, so I would love to see them go in a totally new direction, even overwriting the old character completely. Either way, looking forward to what they can do next.

Also, how about that after credits scene? The butler walks in with the shaking tea tray is clearly a nod to Tomb Raider 2 & 3. Everyone seemed to like locking that poor butler in the freezer. :lol: Also, the drawing on the wall with the dinosaur and the pyramids, a not to the very first Tomb Raider. Awesome.

Completed? Blimey, I really am taking my time then :lol:

I'm at about 20%, but I am taking it steady, doing much exploring (and frequently just stopping and looking around!). Steam says13 hours played so far, I'm definitely getting my moneys worth out of it :D

Completed? Blimey, I really am taking my time then :lol:

I'm at about 20%, but I am taking it steady, doing much exploring (and frequently just stopping and looking around!). Steam says13 hours played so far, I'm definitely getting my moneys worth out of it :D
To be fair I was on vacation for the week it launched (I got it early access, too). I still took my time, as well, just had more time in the day to play. :lol:

I don't know what my total time is, playing on PS4, but I would guess 40-50 hours. I didn't rush through the game, if that's what you're thinking. Did loads of exploring, found all the collectibles on my own, and took 300 screenshots because the game was just gorgeous.

To be fair I was on vacation for the week it launched (I got it early access, too). I still took my time, as well, just had more time in the day to play. :lol:

I don't know what my total time is, playing on PS4, but I would guess 40-50 hours. I didn't rush through the game, if that's what you're thinking. Did loads of exploring, found all the collectibles on my own, and took 300 screenshots because the game was just gorgeous.

Definitely didn't think you'd rushed it (that's not really compatible with getting 100% :lol:) - a week off helps I guess!

I've just got to Paititi and am having a good old explore around before I pick up the story again - the city itself is fantastically realised, and the puzzles and platforming to get there were fantastic (really loved the giant windmill thingy™ puzzle). It's going to take me some time to get it to 100% but I'll definitely be going for it, it's an absolute pleasure just exploring the environments so I'll be very happy going back to get all the (many) things I've missed.

This is the first game that's taken me away from pCARS2 for any significant amount of time, and I am thoroughly hooked :D

Itching to play this game again after completing it, but I don't want to overkill the experience by playing it too much. :lol:

So, instead, I've been waiting for DLC and stumbled across this graphic, below. I have the Season Pass, but admittedly I didn't read into what I was getting out of it. Seems it will contain 7 future DLC packs, launching each month starting in October and ending in April. Each pack will contain:
-A new Challenge Tomb
-Weapons and outfits
-A 'Narrative Side Mission'

Curious to see what the side mission means. I can't imagine it will be 7 lengthy story quests (like Babba-Yaga in Rise of the Tomb Raider), but more like short stories (like Croft Manor in Rise). Can't wait for the Challenge Tombs, those have been good fun, although maybe a bit quick and easy. Can't wait for more!

3di3lrhbfgu01.jpg

I recently discovered after a bit of googling that you can play this in VR using the 3D support in the game. I tried it with BigScreen on the Rift and while performance takes a big hit (I wouldn't want to play properly on my setup, I'd have to turn the graphics right down) it's pretty awesome - more or less VR with a limited FOV and no head tracking, but way better than regular 3D simply because I can make the virtual screen huge - imagine playing in full 3D quite close to an IMAX screen....

Began playing Shadow the past week. I liked the world in Rise a lot more. the world in shadow just seems like a lesser version of Uncharted 4.
I do like that it has less emphasis on shootouts and the puzzles have improved. Side mission have also improved and add a lot gameplay and background to the minor characters.

I still prefer Uncharted 4 though. The storytelling and voiceacting is much better and the gameplay feels more cinematic.

That's a very good price for the game and all the content.

This was hands down my favorite game from 2019.
As good as that really? I tried the demo many times, so i liked it, but too much scripted sequences maybe in it. But i like tombs exploration if there's hidden ways and moody look and story and fun physics puzzles.

As good as that really? I tried the demo many times, so i liked it, but too much scripted sequences maybe in it. But i like tombs exploration if there's hidden ways and moody look and story and fun physics puzzles.
I suppose it's a bold statement to say it's my favorite game from 2019, but I'd say it really is. However, that's only my opinion, so take it as you will.

At that price, though, I'd say you can't go wrong. There were a few scripted sequences more than I wished, too, but overall it's a great game if you want exploration and puzzles. I would admit that the story and combat aren't really the game's strongest features, but I thoroughly enjoyed the game overall.

I suppose it's a bold statement to say it's my favorite game from 2019, but I'd say it really is. However, that's only my opinion, so take it as you will.

At that price, though, I'd say you can't go wrong. There were a few scripted sequences more than I wished, too, but overall it's a great game if you want exploration and puzzles. I would admit that the story and combat aren't really the game's strongest features, but I thoroughly enjoyed the game overall.

I'm not sure it's my absolute #1 game of 2019, but it's certainly right up near the top of my list. There aren't many games that hold my attention long enough to play right through and complete - this was one of them.

At that price, with all the DLC, I'd say it's a bargain!

I'm not sure it's my absolute #1 game of 2019, but it's certainly right up near the top of my list. There aren't many games that hold my attention long enough to play right through and complete - this was one of them.

At that price, with all the DLC, I'd say it's a bargain!
Thanks guys, yeah I'll get it for sure, if ever not on this discount, on a future one at least. Bit tight right now.
@SPhilli911 thanks sir, how you would compare it to the previous game and the one before that? Just if you feel to type about it a little hehe.
Seems the 2nd has more hidden spots that need platforming and observation than the 1st, which i like. But I'm not so far into the 2nd still.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, yeah I'll get it for sure, if ever not on this discount, on a future one at least. Bit tight right now.
@SPhilli911 thanks sir, how you would compare it to the previous game and the one before that? Just if you feel to type about it a little hehe.
Seems the 2nd has more hidden spots that need platforming and observation than the 1st, which i like. But I'm not so far into the 2nd still.
Cheers.
It's a lot like the first 2 games in terms of puzzles, platforming and exploration, but on a bigger scale, I think. I found that some of the challenge tombs were more.... well challenging than they were in the other games. It felt like there was a lot more exploration in Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Although, my feedback might be more skewed because I played Shadow in the hardest difficulty right away, which I did not do in the previous games. As in no hints or anything like that, so it was straight exploration trying to find collectibles on my own.

Personally, my biggest praise for the game is the location and graphics. The game is simply beautiful looking in the jungle settings, which made it more rewarding to explore the areas. The other 2 games were wonderful looking, but by comparison feel more sparse compared to the high level of detail in Shadow.

It's a lot like the first 2 games in terms of puzzles, platforming and exploration, but on a bigger scale, I think. I found that some of the challenge tombs were more.... well challenging than they were in the other games. It felt like there was a lot more exploration in Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Although, my feedback might be more skewed because I played Shadow in the hardest difficulty right away, which I did not do in the previous games. As in no hints or anything like that, so it was straight exploration trying to find collectibles on my own.

Personally, my biggest praise for the game is the location and graphics. The game is simply beautiful looking in the jungle settings, which made it more rewarding to explore the areas. The other 2 games were wonderful looking, but by comparison feel more sparse compared to the high level of detail in Shadow.
Yeah i agree the environments artistically and technically seem to feel cooler to explore and be in.

Back