Sharky's Musterious Isuzu! May have broken it again :(

• Thread starter Sharky.
  • 139 comments
Checked the fuse box just now and lo and behold, the TAIL L/ILLUM L 10A fuse was well and truly blown. Put the spare 15A in as a test (yeah yeah, that wouldn't protect the components on that circuit from 11-15A surges) and it blew as soon as I turned the ignition on. Looks like I have a duff circuit somewhere, might be a loose/broken relay.

Got the lights fixed, the cause was yours truly installing the new head unit and thinking the park light wire (why that is in the bundle of wires with all the stereo bits is beyond me) was the earth wire for the stereo = GG

On the repairs front: could be between $1500 and $4000, depending on whether it's the head or the gasket and if the former, the condition of the valve gear etc. Bad valves = new valves required = more $$$. Oh, and a gasket on the front face of the engine would have to be replaced (which is where the water's leaking out and leaving the rust-coloured trail), and that's an engine-out job. Whee.

In light of this, I'm now seriously considering taking the vehicle back to the trader I purchased it from and demanding (not asking, demanding. The law says I can) my $4000 back, at which point I'd buy a "normal" car that, well, isn't broken as a replacement. I bought the Mu because the plan was to go on 4WD trips with a couple of mates that have 4WDs, but one wants to sell his '91 2.7TD Terrano and buy a Delica Spacegear instead and since I bought the car I've only gone on two 4WD trips with said mates anyway. Two excursions in two months is a rather meagre strike rate, it must be said.

It would (should) work out better for both myself and the trader this way - I don't have to spend up to the price of the vehicle fixing it and the trader gets a vehicle back that he could fix himself for cheap(ish) and sell for $6000+; with the engine completely fixed I reckon he could get as much as $8000... while I would more than likely yank the Alpine head unit I installed (seeing as I paid for that and all, and it's removable...), the car would be returned with around 4000km of road user charges aka diesel tax and about half a tank of diesel, which together roughly match the value of the head unit (head unit cost me $180, valued at $300; RUCs ~$240 for the 5000km I recently purchased, half a tank of diesel ~$60).

So I guess I'm back where I started, ie searching for a car! Funny how these things come back around and whack you in the back of the head, huh?

General criteria are as before, ie a car, petrol, potentially fun to drive, affordable, preferably manual but autos are fine if the vehicle suits one (I must admit it is a godsend having an auto 'box in the Mu during rush-hour Christchurch traffic; then again I'm still in the learning stage of driving manuals so a manual daily would help in that regard). Budget this time would be around NZ$5000.

My current shortlist of possible candidates:
1991 MR2 G-Limited, 5 speed manual $4500 ono (hey, look, an MR2. Again.)
'92 Del Slow (heyo Keef) $2900
NA MX-5, manual $3200 (plus: it's an MX-5. minus: I'm a single, white male)
1994 BMW 325i $3600 ono (plus: it's a BMW. minus: insurance, repairs)
1990 Daihatsu Rocky $3000 (probably should've bought one to begin with...)
Automatic Impreza wagon $3990
2.2 Camry $2450

If I had nine grand, a '95 Hiace with a 305ci Chev V8: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/toyota/hiace/auction-544747698.htm

This is somewhat moot if the trader I purchased the Mu from agrees to cover the cost of the repair, however I very highly doubt this will be the case...

How does taking 20 minutes to move less than 400m sound? :lol:

T180s are around 4-6k, T200s 7k and up but I dread the insurance premiums (2l turbo, 23yo male etc) and the fact someone is bound to try to nick one!

I used to live in ChCh and just went back there a couple months ago, didn't think the traffic was that bad, actually comparing it to rush hour Brisbane traffic it's bloody terrific!

Depends where you are and when. Trying to get through the centre of town (well, what's left of it) between 5:00 and 5:30pm simply doesn't happen, for example :P

If I can't make much (if any) progress with the trader that sold me the vehicle I'm tempted to get it groomed up at work - it's tidy as it is, but it badly needs a buff and could do with a quick clean inside - and toss it on TradeMe at $5k with a disclaimer that the engine has a suspected tiny head/head gasket crack. I guess if someone was willing and able to fix it themselves (whether it be fixing current engine or dropping in something else) then they'd be all over it like nappy rash on a baby because the rest of the vehicle is pretty much perfect; at $5000 they'd be getting an absolute bargain. I wonder how much having 8+mm tread on all four A/T tyres improves the value by...

Last edited:
Do NOT buy that 1.5L FWD Impreza, just don't. Also, I had to laugh at the 2.2 Camry, I hear they go hard ;).

SAttracts the ladies as well as the gents, doncha know.
That's what I'm afraid of :scared:

I'm quite an indecisive person by nature and I'm being indecisive again... part of me wants to just save myself the hassle and simply get rid of the truck, replacing it with a "normal" car, but part of me wants to just man up and take the repair on the chin. It's a nice vehicle if very slow and a bit noisy (although fuel consumption isn't too dreadful for an early 90s large four-pot diesel) and it should be very good offroad if/when I do get it fixed so I can actually take it out 4WDing, but the fact the repair cost could be as much as the purchase price of the vehicle doesn't sit too well with me. Obviously the repair could be quite a bit less than that but the low-ball $1500 for gasket is still nearly half the price of the vehicle, and the repairs wouldn't improve the resale value of the vehicle much/if at all, either.

What would you guys do if you were in a similar situation?

How often do you regularly carry more than one other person? If you're still interested in doing the 4WD thing I'd be tempted to look into maybe a Toyota Hilux or Mitsubishi L200. They'll be not much less car-like than the Vauxhall Isuzu, they'll almost certainly be more reliable, and there's good scope for personalising them to your own tastes - i.e. if you think the seats in a Hilux are naff, you'll almost certainly be able to find some from some other Toyota (or Lexus) that fit and make it a bit more plush. Ditto stereos, wheels, what have you.

Or, get a regular dull car.

Or, get an MX-5.

If you're still interested in the 4WD trips surely there's a few Vitaras around for that sort of budget? Could go for a Sierra also if you don't mind having your spine pulverised by the leaf-sprung ride :sly:. But seriously the little Zooks are surprisingly very capable machines.

Otherwise in terms of a "normal" car, my Scooby bias is tingling and recommends a Lib/Legacy.

How often do you regularly carry more than one other person?
Very rarely, when it does it's only ever when I'm giving a couple of workmates a ride home after work, and even then I usually only do that on Fridays (when I do do it). That was the reason I bought the Moooooo in the first place, because I knew I wasn't going to ever need five+ seats so a smaller, cheaper (ha.), potentially more economical etc 4WD would've been a better fit to my needs.

However, I would be carrying a good bit of gear when I go 4WDing, but I haven't done that (except for the long weekend down to Twizel, but that was mostly open road and not 4WD track) because the engine's broken...

homeforsummer
If you're still interested in doing the 4WD thing I'd be tempted to look into maybe a Toyota Hilux or Mitsubishi L200.
As much as it would be cool to own a Hilux (and drop a 2UZ-FE in), a ute would be even more pointless to me than a four-door 4WD a la Mu Wizard, Bighorn, Terrano, Surf etc :P

homeforsummer
Or, get a regular dull car.
homeforsummer
Or, get an MX-5.
I see where you're going with this... :lol:

If you're still interested in the 4WD trips surely there's a few Vitaras around for that sort of budget?
I did see a really nice-looking modified Vitara when I was searching for a 4WD to begin with - it had a suspension + body lift, real meaty A/Ts, snorkel, five-speed manual... went for a little bit more than I could afford though, then the buyer re-listed it for $3k more than they bought it for :(

Murcie_LP640
Otherwise in terms of a "normal" car, my Scooby bias is tingling and recommends a Lib/Legacy.
They'll get stolen.

It all really depends on how much the repair will end up costing - if it's the head gasket it shouldn't be much more than $1500 which would be fine by me, as I reckon I could sell the vehicle at a later date for at least $5500; if it's $4000 then I'll in all likelihood find myself out of pocket to the tune of $2-3k if/when I sell it. That's quite a hard hit considering where I'm at financially :ouch:

One of these then? I quite like the idea of owning one but in the UK it makes no sense - even the diesels only do about 25 mpg and diesel costs a fortune over here. You get the extra seats though, plus plenty of boot space. Suspect it's marginally more comfortable than a Hilux too.

I considered Surfs originally, but here they're all either the anemic 2.4TD four-pot (90hp! The Mu had 110 in 1992) or the 3.0 petrol V6 that drinks more than Dion does on 'Straya Day :|

For now I've decided I'm going to keep the car, get it fixed and see what happens later down the track. If nothing else goes wrong then all good, many off-road kilometres in my future; if not then I'll probably cut my losses and run. I just renewed the registration for three months tonight ($110) so coupling that with the 5000km of diesel kms I put on it the other week ($250) I want to at least get as much use out of everything I pay for as possible :lol:

edit: oh, and my 4WDing mates posting these kinds of photos to Facebook influenced my decision to keep it for now...
gFS29QZ.jpg

w8vFDO2.jpg

DXrEtWR.jpg

IfZfPeD.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, those make me want to go out and get a 4wd car right now :lol: Pity that sort of scenery is rare in the UK, and when you do find it, there's usually some local law preventing you from going exploring .

No such laws here... yet :lol:

Trader has refused to contribute anything to the cost of repairing the engine unless I got his mechanic to do the repair, which I'm not going to do because I want a guarantee that the work will be done properly - the place that I plan on getting the work done at provides a 10,00km/1yr guarantee as well as the use of a courtesy vehicle, which I basically need to get to and from work now that the bus routes have been made retarded. Completely expected this response, but at least I know for sure now.

I just hope it's the gasket not the head itself, but there could just as equally be something else wrong with the engine that's also only apparent when the head is popped off. I doubt it, but you never know...

Mm, I think it looks better with it off too. Being able to see the wheel+tyre helps break up the overall blandness going on in the rear end :)

Oh yeah, I also dropped by work this morning to give it a proper wash, took the opportunity to whack some silicon-based plastic/rubber dressing on the tyres, rear glass surround, the rear number plate light housing, the wing mirrors and the stuff below both front and rear bumpers. Looks much better now :)

I think you should get a new one to put on. The current one looks a bit worn. It serves a purpose.

Also, have you flipped it over yet?

I sort of want to buy a dash-top GPS unit and a GoPro camera when I've got my engine fixed. Am I mad? GoPro for filming the inevitable off-road hijinks and GPS so I know where I am and don't get lost...

Best of luck Sharky! 👍

P.S. Spare tire cover is a must. If you go off-roading, it might end up saving your life! Trust me, I watch survival shows on Discovery. I know what I'm talking about.

Dropping it off to get repaired around midday tomorrow, expected to take around a week. I asked if a courtesy vehicle could be arranged when I booked it in last week, so I should still have some wheels 👍 Also coincides perfectly with refuel time, I think I have about 50-odd km left in the tank :)

I know one of the vehicles in their courtesy "fleet" (for lack of a better descriptor) is a Toyota Camry... wonder if it's a 2.2?

One can only hope, man. Surely they have a responsibility for everyone's safety not to lend out such a high performance machine though.

I'm happy for you that you are getting your wheels fixed though dude, I know the feeling.

One can only hope, man. Surely they have a responsibility for everyone's safety not to lend out such a high performance machine though.
:lol:👍

I'm happy for you that you are getting your wheels fixed though dude, I know the feeling.
Cheers. I know it's going to cost either a lot or a lot a lot but I just want(/need) it fixed so I 1) don't have to worry about having to get it fixed and 2) can take it out and do what it was designed for (and what I bought it for) - 4WDing :)

Was able to pick up the loan car this morning, while it is indeed a Toyota and the model begins with 'C' it isn't a Camry. I has a sad.

It's a 1992 Corolla diesel :lol:

Back