Shelby Super Car's (SSC) Tuatara

It's hard to see it beating the likes of the Mclaren P1 around the ring. So they better hurry up if they want to break records.

Which lap record? Not that I expect it to be capable of competing with any of the current lap record holders.

Which ones? I can't see many cars that I'd expect would give this one a problem, especially given its acceleration. There's the Radical of course, but below that this car looks to be competitive. Something along the lines of an Enzo with twice the power. There also seems to be plenty of opportunity to generate downforce looking at the ducting around the car.

This news has made my day though. Go SSC. I do have to wonder about how it will do against the P1 though.

Ah, thanks for reviving this thread. I was thinking about this car the other day, mainly about how much better it looks than that new stupid Ferrari.

SSC testing the Tuatara's engine
This newly developed 423 cu.in. twin turbo V-8 engine will come standard in the Tuatara producing 1350 horsepower and a staggering 1280 lb-ft of torque running on standard United States "premium" 91 octane fuel and has also shown that it is easily capable of over 1700 HP for those owners that don't want or need to be buffered by regulations

SSC engineering even required this Tuatara engine to complete a durability test where the engine is run at a set RPM of 5500 and then a massive load is placed on the motor and held there for a full 5 minutes while all facets of the engine internally and externally were data logged. At the 5 minute point, the engine was dropped back to an idle for 30 seconds to let the exhaust valves cool, and then immediately ramped back up to 5500 RPM's for another full 5 minutes of extreme load.

"Even if it were possible to climb a steep and constant hill at 275 mph, with the aerodynamic drag that would be associated with that speed, you would never see the kind of load we are testing our engines at.
sscnorthamerica.com

tuatara-motor1.jpg
tuatara-motor2.jpg

I wonder how that durability testing compares to, say, the Bugatti Veyron engine's durability testing. 5 minutes doesn't sound like a lot.

However, I'm glad to see they are progressing, and 1300hp is pretty strong.

I still love how they act all surprised and hurt that people only think their cars are designed for making top speed runs (after years of grandstanding about how the Ultimate Aero is so fast in top speed), but then they turn around and update the development by saying that the block of the next car could take 1700 hp.

I still love how they act all surprised and hurt that people only think their cars are designed for making top speed runs (after years of grandstanding about how the Ultimate Aero is so fast in top speed)
To be fair, I think it's expected that they would be surprised. Even the Veyron gained a reputation for being the best car ever when from a performance standpoint, it only really has acceleration and top speed. I don't really recall people assuming that Koenisegg's couldn't turn until Top Gear, and even then it didn't seem to stick too badly. Then SSC does it and people think it's a one trick kit car.

but then they turn around and update the development by saying that the block of the next car could take 1700 hp.

This is a mistake though. I'd much rather seeing downforce numbers, or something. I'd imagine a Nurburgring record would take some design modifications since McLaren is aiming to do the same thing with what appears to be a faster car that showed up after the Tuatara started development.

Which it won't be because it built by small company that has been cutting corners to keep losses low. Bugatti has VAGs billions for backing and development.

To be fair, I think it's expected that they would be surprised. Even the Veyron gained a reputation for being the best car ever when from a performance standpoint, it only really has acceleration and top speed. I don't really recall people assuming that Koenisegg's couldn't turn until Top Gear, and even then it didn't seem to stick too badly. Then SSC does it and people think it's a one trick kit car.

Koenigsegg also built the car first, and was pushing the top speed angle as a side thing when the first one came out (better than the McLaren F1 comprehensively was the stated goal, rather than just all out in a straight line). They gave it to magazines to test and get a feel on (I remember a Car and Driver test that was quite enamored with the original CC8), and it wasn't for a few more years that they started throwing ever more power at the thing to talk up what it could do flat out.

SSC came on the scene screaming about nothing more than horsepower numbers and how fast their (at the time almost literally) Lamborghini Diablo kit car would go compared to the Veyron (which they are continuing with the new car when they really shouldn't be); so why should people think it can do anything else? Even Jerry Wiegert didn't have such a one-track mind in the 1980s.

Last edited:
Well they did set the world record, which is more than most start ups can claim. It was a business decision. Pagani came onto the scene and stayed because of the amazing attention to detail, quality, and artisanship. Koenigsegg made it because of it's brutality and unique styling. The SSC had neither of those, but it did have the party piece of top speed. So they sold enough to stay in business and produce something better. The Tuatara appears to bring quality and style to the mix. Are you hoping SSC fails?

Are you hoping SSC fails?

I'm not at all understanding how you took me pointing out that they purposely marketed their car as "the top speed car" and thus have no right to complain that people don't think it can do anything else as me implying "I hope SSC fails."

It wasn't a statement, it was a question.

And the most I've ever seen about them "complaining" is saying something along the lines of 'a lot of people think that the car is only built for top speed, but it does handle well also'

Also, when was the SSC ever a Diablo kit car? I don't think it looks good in the slightest, but it isn't merely a kit car.

It wasn't a statement, it was a question.

It was an implication of bias, and I resent that you're attempting it to derail my point about how SSC is hypocritical for taking issue with the concept they put in place.

And the most I've ever seen about them "complaining" is saying something along the lines of 'a lot of people think that the car is only built for top speed, but it does handle well also'

Which would be complaining about the public perception of their cars, hence the Nurburgring lap to try to get rid of the sentiment; and the actual quote was even on the last page of this thread.

Also, when was the SSC ever a Diablo kit car? I don't think it looks good in the slightest, but it isn't merely a kit car.

By SSC's own admission the original Aero design was engineered off of the back of a Lamborghini replicar. How much has been done since those original prototypes to the actual production models that is their own work is unclear (as is how much was done to the original design compared to the base they started with), but that is also their fault for not emphasizing the actual engineering of the car rather than just how much power they are getting out of their Small Block Chevy and how fast it will go because of it.

Last edited:
It was an implication of bias, and I resent that you're attempting it to derail my point about how SSC is hypocritical for taking issue with the concept they put in place.

Which would be complaining about the public perception of their cars, hence the Nurburgring lap to try to get rid of the sentiment; and the actual quote was even on the last page of this thread.

So SSC builds a car that, by most accounts, is a good drivers car. It sets the top speed record for a short time. People automatically assume it doesn't turn well. SSC says 'yes it does' and, again by all accounts, it does indeed. In their second car they want to emphasize handling as well as speed by gunning for the Nurburgring lap record. In none of this do I see hypocrisy. I see a man not unlike Ferrucio Lamborghini wanting to prove to everyone that his car is good. I don't understand all this hate.

What would you rather Mr. Shelby do? Apologize for wanting the speed record?

So SSC builds a car that, by most accounts, is a good drivers car. It sets the top speed record for a short time. People automatically assume it doesn't turn well. SSC says 'yes it does' and, again by all accounts, it does indeed. In their second car they want to emphasize handling as well as speed by gunning for the Nurburgring lap record. In none of this do I see hypocrisy. I see a man not unlike Ferrucio Lamborghini wanting to prove to everyone that his car is good. I don't understand all this hate.

And there it is again. What hate? Pointing out that they kind of made their own bed in regards to the popular opinion about the Ultimate Aero because of what they chose to make news about isn't "hate."

Last edited:
SSC came on the scene screaming about nothing more than horsepower numbers and how fast their (at the time almost literally) Lamborghini Diablo kit car would go compared to the Veyron (which they are continuing with the new car when they really shouldn't be); so why should people think it can do anything else? Even Jerry Wiegert didn't have such a one-track mind in the 1980s.

It's not so much that don't think it can do more than top speed, but that many seem to think it must be terrible in any other field.

I'm not sure if my memory is correct, but while SSC did put speed at the front of thier marketing plan, I don't think it was an exclusive bullet point. I think they did attempt to highlight the comfort of the car, and I'm fairly certain they made a bit of a deal over the Magnesium wheels and a couple other pieces of technology. They handed over a few cars for testing, but I'm not sure how many were mules.

You mean SSC cars can turn?

Hard to say conclusively without data, but one set R&T's slalom record when tested.

It's hard to see it beating the likes of the Mclaren P1 around the ring. So they better hurry up if they want to break records.

Who cares if it cant beat the McLaren P1. The P1 and the "La Ferrari" are stupid racecars parading as road cars. They have all the stupid aero body work. The Tutatara does not. It is very traditional, and looks like a road car, not a lemans prototype like the others

What? The Tuatara is one of the most post modern looking things out there. Nothing traditional about it.

And them fightin' words about the P1 the and "La Ferrari" (stupid name though).:lol:

Who cares if it cant beat the McLaren P1. The P1 and the "La Ferrari" are stupid racecars parading as road cars. They have all the stupid aero body work. The Tutatara does not. It is very traditional, and looks like a road car, not a lemans prototype like the others
Not exactly!

SSC wants the Nurburgring lap record with the Tuatara

4/09/13

http://www.sscnorthamerica.com/news-040913.php

---

---

erm... :boggled:

Regardless of how you feel about the P1 (and la Ferrari) as cars, SSC had better hurry up if they want the Nurburgring lap record.

Besides. Spot the "road car":

McLaren-Automotive-image-1-728x498.jpg

ssc-tuatara-pebble.jpg

La-Ferrari-05.jpg

---

All these "road cars" have countless large air intakes, and very visible rear diffusers etc.

I'm really struggling to understand your point. Please help me see the light.

:lol:

What? Whatever you're smoking I want some. They ALL look like spaceships for the road.

Which it won't be because it built by small company that has been cutting corners to keep losses low. Bugatti has VAGs billions for backing and development.
They haven't been cutting corners at all, so sorry to rain on your parade.

In fact, they took a lot of the original complaints, mainly from people who can't even afford the car (funny how that works) & improved upon it. The interior being one of the biggest as a boring kit car design, & now, filled with the same alcantara & carbon fiber you find in everything else. Credit has to be given to the company; they actually made it to production & accomplished what they wanted. Nearly all these other companies such as the infamous Vector, can't even get their new car off the production line.

Cost cutting companies don't go from this:
ssc-ultimate-aero-interior.jpg

to this:
113233d1281750512-011-2010-ultimate-aero-orange-orange-black-1s9sa28440w944011-4160401989_602493bd35.jpg

Body panel fitment is supposed to be a lot better now than it was originally too; though I've never seen a before/after.

They haven't been cutting corners at all, so sorry to rain on your parade.

In fact, they took a lot of the original complaints, mainly from people who can't even afford the car (funny how that works) & improved upon it. The interior being one of the biggest as a boring kit car design, & now, filled with the same alcantara & carbon fiber you find in everything else. Credit has to be given to the company; they actually made it to production & accomplished what they wanted. Nearly all these other companies such as the infamous Vector, can't even get their new car off the production line.

Cost cutting companies don't go from this:
ssc-ultimate-aero-interior.jpg

to this:
113233d1281750512-011-2010-ultimate-aero-orange-orange-black-1s9sa28440w944011-4160401989_602493bd35.jpg

...to this
g18-2-L.jpg

I think it is fantastically unique and interesting despite it being only an early rendering. The whole car looks very American to me, but American in the NASA way, not the KFC way. Which is nice.

Back