shifting

  • Thread starter Thread starter Maxitsu
  • 16 comments
  • 860 views
Messages
1,752
Messages
Maxitsu
I am driving auto-shifting, i hear manual shifting is faster, why?
 
Manual shifting makes you faster, because you can make sure you're always in the correct part of the engines powerband.

You can downshift to a proper gear before a turn, hold that gear as long as possible, and only shift when your ready. Shifting can upset a cars weight transfer and balance as well, so by shifting manually you can assure shifts only happen when you want them too.
 
A properly tuned and driven auto is just as fast. Some of the fastest people at the ring including myself use an auto.
 
Come see me at the ring then and prove it.
 
A properly tuned and driven auto is just as fast. Some of the fastest people at the ring including myself use an auto.

You mite be fast at the ring in auto.. But if you could shift your self you would be faster! Fact..
 
LOL How did I know that was coming.

First of all, that is not a valid test. What's to say we both drive the same lines, the same way? If you were to win, it would only prove that YOU are faster with an Auto, then I am with a Manual - does not prove that an auto is as fast as a manual.

Second of all, I'll gladly race you at the ring. With all the variables at that track though, I'm not sure it's the best track to demonstrate the differences between transmissions. Either way, add me: iamsupernasty

Thirdly, there is not a chance in hell that the GT5 computer is better at picking gears then I am. If a well tuned automatic was faster, then you'd see them used in racing series in real life.
 
LOL How did I know that was coming.

First of all, that is not a valid test. What's to say we both drive the same lines, the same way? If you were to win, it would only prove that YOU are faster with an Auto, then I am with a Manual - does not prove that an auto is as fast as a manual.

Second of all, I'll gladly race you at the ring. With all the variables at that track though, I'm not sure it's the best track to demonstrate the differences between transmissions. Either way, add me: iamsupernasty

Thirdly, there is not a chance in hell that the GT5 computer is better at picking gears then I am. If a well tuned automatic was faster, then you'd see them used in racing series in real life.

👍
 
Thirdly, there is not a chance in hell that the GT5 computer is better at picking gears then I am. If a well tuned automatic was faster, then you'd see them used in racing series in real life.

GT5 computer? No, it isn't better than you, and a game won't be for a long while.

In real life? If it wasn't forbidden by the rules I can guarantee that most racing series (especially Formula 1) would have automatic transmissions, and not the slushboxes in regular cars or even the semi-auto sequential transmissions in sportscars, but CVT or seamless shifting transmissions that would eliminate the possibility of human error in selecting gears. And they would be faster on any track against any driver.
 
GT5 computer? No, it isn't better than you, and a game won't be for a long while.

In real life? If it wasn't forbidden by the rules I can guarantee that most racing series (especially Formula 1) would have automatic transmissions, and not the slushboxes in regular cars or even the semi-auto sequential transmissions in sportscars, but CVT or seamless shifting transmissions that would eliminate the possibility of human error in selecting gears. And they would be faster on any track against any driver.

Please re-read 2nd post of the thread. You'll see it is correct by experimenting and learning.
 
Manual CAN BE faster if you use it effectively.

Some cars have low torque bands in the low RPM, and since automatics wait until it hits the max rev, instead of shifting lower, the car will be out of it's torque/power band.

However, Manuals can lead to rev bouncing and if you're not concentrating can lead to over-revving or under revving.
 
It depends on the car really. In race cars, an auto can be just as fast as a manual. In vintage cars, keicars, and occasionally muscle cars, the power band is below redline and to stay in it you need to shift up to 1,000 rpm before redline for maximum acceleration. You simply cannot do that in an auto.

You may not notice the lost time in online races. The draft more than makes up for poor driving lines, missed apexes, and bad shifting.
 
Manual shifting makes you faster, because you can make sure you're always in the correct part of the engines powerband.

You can downshift to a proper gear before a turn, hold that gear as long as possible, and only shift when your ready. Shifting can upset a cars weight transfer and balance as well, so by shifting manually you can assure shifts only happen when you want them too.

Please re-read 2nd post of the thread. You'll see it is correct by experimenting and learning.

A Formula 1 team could easily program an automatic transmission to make sure it was always in the correct part of the engines powerband. It could be programmed to downshift to a proper gear before a turn, hold that gear as long as possible, and shift only when it is optimal for performance. An automatic transmission could be programmed to minimize the upset to a cars balance as well, so by shifting automatically it can assure shifts only happen when they will be optimal for maximum performance.

Of course we can never prove this because auto transmissions were banned in F1. Probably because they were faster and therefor seen as an unfair advantage for the big budget teams that were testing them, but I think the reasoning used at the time was they wanted the cars the be driven by drivers, not computers.

Taken from the Formula 1 website:
"Despite such high levels of technology, fully automatic transmission systems, and gearbox-related wizardry such as launch control, are illegal - a measure designed to keep costs down and place more emphasis on driver skill."
 
Last edited:
This thread caught my eye as I have just made the switch from AT to MT today, I've been wanting to do it for a long time, but was being a chicken.
I race online in a Nissan mm-R Cup Car Championship & this car's torque max's out a good bit before the redline, so the only way to get the most outta this is by manual shifting.
I'm 37years old & have been playing racing games for YEARS & today is the 1st time I used MT (I know, for shame :ouch:)! After only 8 laps round Tsukuba, I'd taken half a second off my personal best & I'm sure with practice I could improve on that.

Plus manual shifting is now way more fun
 
This thread caught my eye as I have just made the switch from AT to MT today, I've been wanting to do it for a long time, but was being a chicken.
I race online in a Nissan mm-R Cup Car Championship & this car's torque max's out a good bit before the redline, so the only way to get the most outta this is by manual shifting.
I'm 37years old & have been playing racing games for YEARS & today is the 1st time I used MT (I know, for shame :ouch:)! After only 8 laps round Tsukuba, I'd taken half a second off my personal best & I'm sure with practice I could improve on that.

Plus manual shifting is now way more fun

Well there you go. The proof is in the pudding; or in this case, the proof was in Ireland.
 
Still trying to get my girlfriend to use manual. She plays almost as much as I do. She won't drive a real automatic car... But she insists on auto in gt... I don't get it. Lol
 
Still trying to get my girlfriend to use manual. She plays almost as much as I do. She won't drive a real automatic car... But she insists on auto in gt... I don't get it. Lol

lol...me too...:dopey:
 
Back