• They should charge $5-15 a month to ensure no lag

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • They should have an option for free or pay

Votes: 28 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
GTP_Royalton
I say Yes, and no, here's what I mean,

Anyone whos played online racing before knows that lag can ruin racing. It makes it impossible for close bumper to bumper racing, even with broadband only races.

So the solution is to charge lets say $5-15 a month and allow PD to get us top notch servers, not some cheap free gamespy BS, and 20+ cars allowed per race

BUT, for the casual gamers there should be a free version of online, but with cheap gamespy servers and lets say only a maximum of 10 cars allowed per race

So this is how it is

$5-15 a month will give you:

- High quality servers with nearly zero lag
- races with 20+ drivers at once
- access to online endurance races with driver changes
- access to online tournaments
- Online ranking system
- Ability to save and share replays

Free version will give you:

- Up to 10 drivers at once
- generic races

I'm definitly for paying money, even if its just for no lag. I had a bad experience while driving an Online Indy 500, with one lap to go we were 3 wide and I was leading http://www.nros.org/speedweeks/ (I'm the black car in the middle)

We went into the first turn I was on the outside. We were 2 feet away from eachother but taht was too close. Lag made us touch and I smashed the outside fence. I swore the car below me moved up, but after watching his replay I realized lag made us touch. I started 23rd of 28 that day, and it was very upsetting to come so close, to lead lap 199 of 200 and end up being taken out by lag. That only increased my hate for it

So what do you think is best? Any ideas as to any extras that paying may enable PD to give us ?

I'm not going to choose ANY of thoes options since you can get free play with no lag and it's also possible to pay fo play and find there is lag. I say it should be free, hell you've paid for the game. Paying for server use doesn't mean there won't be any lag, it just means that you're using a server the makers have setup and are running. All thoes things you listed like endurance races and ranking systems and sharing replays and ghosts SHOULD be free, they're free in other games and the last thing PD need is a reason for somoene to buy Forza 2 or any other up and coming game that claims to offer GT style play. If it can be done hassle free, AND free on X-Box Live it should be done to a better standard on the PS3 and XB360's online networks.

Uh no. And doesn't it depend on the players if they lag or not?
I've been in many GameSpy servers, and the only laggers are the 300+Ping.
So no. If I don't pay, I don't get your endurance racing, more cars, tourneys, and that because of lag?
Screw that, I'll just stay offline.

This is why severs are allowed to kick high ping players or bad connection players.

Yes, lag is down to the speed of the connections to the server, if you have a low internet speed and enter a 20 car race you'll get lag because you're speed can't process the info for all 20 cars fast enough, if you entered a 7 or 8 car race you might not get lag. So you could pay for a supposedly lag free server, but then someone with a 256k connection could also pay and enter the same race as you and voila you're paid for server get's laggy.

I've played 2 gamespy racers online, F1 2003 and NASCAR Sim Racing

F1 had horrendous lag, and NASCAR had very noticeable lag, even though NASCAR was BB only

I have been in online races with no lag on free servers, but I'd pay PD money to guarentee me that I will never see a hint of it

I'd rather they just include a kick option.
It wouldn't be hard. A simple warning such as,

"This server kicks High pings."

live4speed
Which is a gaurentee PD couldn't offer.

Nobody can offer it. There are too many variables. But you can get upwards of 90% lag free time.

You could enable an option to simply disalow anyone with a low speed on in the first place. A low speed's no biggie in a race with a small grid, but in a race with 20 cars you'll ruin it for everyone else as well as yourself. Say have an option when you create a server to link connection speed to the number of cars in the race so for a 20 car grid you'd need a fast connection to get on.

live4speed
You could enable an option to simply disalow anyone with a low speed on in the first place. A low speed's no biggie in a race with a small grid, but in a race with 20 cars you'll ruin it for everyone else as well as yourself. Say have an option when you create a server to link connection speed to the number of cars in the race so for a 20 car grid you'd need a fast connection to get on.

Makes good sense to me. I Know that that sometimes I'm on xlink and all is well. Then a 100+ ping person comes on and that's all she wrote. :ouch:

I look at it this way, you can either pay to insure quality, or risk getting stuck with gamespy servers (or some other slow free server)

I know GT5 will own everything, and I want the online mode to be great. They should copy exactly how NASCAR 2003 season Online was. If you never played it online I suggest you do, some races had 43 drivers with great latency. It had everything. Too much to list here. Just get the game and try it. NR2003 is best racing game. ever. period. no contest.

now back to topic

But paying for a server WON'T insure quality. Theres NO gaurentee that someone with a piss poor connection isn't going to join a race on a paid for server. Also, if you can race pretty good races on XBL without paying that are generally lag free theres no reason Sony or PD should turn around and say look we f*ked up the online code, you'l have to pay to play online. I can race 30 car grids in GTR lag free, but if theres a few people with crap connections theres lag, it's not the server, it's the game code and the connection speeds. And no NR2003 isn't the greatest racing game imo, I think GTR and LFS are both better.

Dude, you can't guarantee it unless the admin kicks the player. If he can't kick the player, then usually a vote goes in.

And why charge people to play the official servers when others will set-up their own server with their own rules and let people play for free?

I love how people think that money can solve all problems. As mentioned on here before, Internet lag is a problem intrinsic to the game's particular coding, the host server, and each person's console/PC/MAC/whatever it may be. Paying for a service does not fix this. Lag can show up on paid servers just as a free server can run flawlessly.

Sony has always wanted free online play, so free online play it shall be; take it or leave it.

:banghead: I can't believe some people actually complain about free services.

McLaren F1GTR
I'd rather they just include a kick option.
It wouldn't be hard. A simple warning such as,

"This server kicks High pings."

D'oh... I hate that when it happens to me... :nervous:

i say it should be free, if im already paying for broadband then why should i pay to use it for a game? this is what i didnt want an x-box for, i couldnt be bothered paying for 'live'

ok - You pay for the console - you then pay for the game - you pay for broadband - you pay for a headset - i really dont want to keep spending cash when does it end? just another issue of they could let you have the option for free but they know you really want it so more that likely they will charge you if you want to use it

HELL NO!

I am not tight/cheap but what happened to the good ol' days of lag free servers with no hidden charges for gamers (apart from internet fees)!!!!1`11111

Now we get all sorts from CD key registration, monthly fees, etc.

If Sony wants free service for their customers - us - then they can start investing in a decent server system. If they're gonna charge, it had better be something reasonable like $5 a month. I'm not going to pay money to be in 6th place or so every race because the five cars ahead of me are modified out the wazoo.

Kids always want weight reduction maxed, HP maxed, every racing mod in the universe, nox, etc. I don't want to just race stock 240s and Evo 8s, but if mods are allowed, how do you keep a lid on it? I've seen how it goes on X Box games. Smashfest, lag, ramfest, bad words.

The best racing is lan racing, or online with just your friends, and whatever bots the game supports.

I voted the first option, but in retrospect, I wouldn't vote either of them. What do you mean free servers with "noticeable" lag? Too bad for PD and Sony if they can't get good net code going. I play in a 32 or 64 player server in Battlefield very often, and same with Counter-Strike Source, and I don't pay anything extra for either of those. I also play Live For Speed which with only a 3-5mbit upload or so can host a 16 player server with no lag. If they make you pay $5-$10 a month for "online", then they should put patches and additional content. The only way somebody is going to pay extra fees for a specific game monthly is if they add additional content the whole time. Why else would pay money for it.

I think you should have to have an option to pay or not. For example:

Person 1 does not pay.
Person 2 does pay.

Person 1 would have the benefit of having not to pay, however it would have lag.
Person 2 would have the benefit of having no lag (or very little), however you would have to pay.

Also, I think that you should be charged a "pay as you go" type of service. each game costs differently depending on the options (laps, track, etc.)

General Gravy
I think you should have to have an option to pay or not. For example:

Person 1 does not pay.
Person 2 does pay.

Person 1 would have the benefit of having not to pay, however it would have lag.
Person 2 would have the benefit of having no lag (or very little), however you would have to pay.

Also, I think that you should be charged a "pay as you go" type of service. each game costs differently depending on the options (laps, track, etc.)
Let me just tell you that if they built net code that created lag for non subscribers it would be scandalous and I wouldn't buy the game out of principal. When you pay to play a game on special servers it doesn't mean these servers are lag free, it just means they're run by the company that's charging for use and theres usually less traffic on them since fewer people will pay to use them over the free ones. You can get lag free games on free servers, a server is a server, but if the net codes crap in the first place no server will run smooth. The same is true if the people on the server have low pings.

ok..Socom 2 is free..do they use gamespy? sure some people lag..but in most games there is little or no lag..and there are 29,000 people online at a time.
socom-3.net

live4speed
I'm not going to choose ANY of thoes options since you can get free play with no lag and it's also possible to pay fo play and find there is lag. I say it should be free, hell you've paid for the game.
Exactly. You've paid for the game, and shouldn't have to fork out more cash to play online: after all, you need a broadband modem, which could cost even more. 👎 I say no.

1989therat
Why would it cost money? The XBOX360 is going to be free online.
Uh, no its not.
You only get a Gamertag, gamer card, talk using Voice Chat, and access the Live Marketplace for free. That's it.
Everything else=cash.

Latest Posts

Back