Should I buy a wheel?

• Thread starter Cosmique63
  • 78 comments
Going to a wheel is a commitment of funds and time. Be sure you are willing to stick to it. Also, consider whether you'll be playing other racing games.

Want to just test the waters, easy call is a G29 and build your own stand (or buy one). A more affordable option that allows room to upgrade your equipment down the road.

Well said and absolutely true. If you want simple plug and play with decent performance, the G29 is far and away the best option. Once you start going up the ladder to better performing wheel and pedal sets, you will not only need to spend more $$$, but you will also need to invest more time setting everything up and tuning it to your preferences.

i’ve been Playing GT for about 15 years with a pad and i’m thinking of upgrading to a wheel. After reading what people say on forums and reviews I was thinking of
Fanatec CSL Elite
CSL Elite Pedals
CSL Loadcell Kit
Clubsport shifter
Playseat Evolution
Any advice On setup or accessories would be welcome

Yes - you should get a wheel if you have the money, space and are likely to use it a lot. However I suggest starting with a Logitech G29 - I don't think anything more is needed for a beginner - in fact many of the worlds fastest racers on GT Academy used a Logitech DFGT - an entry level wheel which preceded the G29.

Budget for a decent stand or rig. Folding ones are better if you have space issues or a girlfriend (or plan to have one in the future!).

So I just bought a new T-GT yesterday online and now I'm looking to buy the Playseat Revolution. .

My question is does anyone use the T-GT with the Playseat Revolution and if so are there any modifications that have or need to be done to this Playseat?

Screenshot_20190308-105050_Gallery.jpg

So I just bought a new T-GT yesterday online and now I'm looking to buy the Playseat Revolution. .

My question is does anyone use the T-GT with the Playseat Revolution and if so are there any modifications that have or need to be done to this Playseat?

View attachment 804876

Not sure. The Revolution looks better than the Evolution I have.... your feet are free at the pedal end. But watch out for your naughty bits!

Not sure. The Revolution looks better than the Evolution I have.... your feet are free at the pedal end. But watch out for your naughty bits!

I was going to get the Evolution but then I seen the Revolution and thought it might be a better choice.
Did you make any modifications to your Evolution?

My advice would be to make sure you are committed to putting in the time at the beginning. If you are a hardcore pad user for many years as I was, then you will most likely be slower at first on the wheel, and it will be frustrating. It will feel unnatural and like you have far less control over the car, etc. I went through that transition too, and I put the wheel away the first few times after getting annoyed. It is different for everyone but it took me at least a few weeks before things started to "click" with the wheel. Once you get used to it then you'll find that you have even greater control over the car and you will be a bit faster most likely; for sure you will be more consistent. It's a great feeling. Just be prepared to give it some time.

I was going to get the Evolution but then I seen the Revolution and thought it might be a better choice.
Did you make any modifications to your Evolution?
No. Got used to using left foot for brake, and I don't do manual gears (tried and slower for me)
Revolution looks like a good seat.

Depends.

I don't own a wheel. I've wanted one. However, I don't really want to allocate a location in my house for a wheel and, if I did, I am sure that my girlfriend would leave me.
Then the Playseat challenge is your friend.

I also don't have the permission to have a permanent set-up at home, so the challenge allows me to have my rig and put it away when needed.

View attachment 622540

View attachment 622542

No. Got used to using left foot for brake, and I don't do manual gears (tried and slower for me)
Revolution looks like a good seat.

Awesome thanks for that information.

I also don't have the permission to have a permanent set-up at home, so the challenge allows me to have my rig and put it away when needed.

View attachment 622540

View attachment 622542

I really like how this one folds up for storage.

Lol, permission is less an issue than perception :D

Ever heard of the phrase “buy once, cry once”? The combined cost of a G29 + T300 GT is the same as a Fanatec CSL. Why waste money upgrading in increments?
I get your point. I upgraded from a T300 Ferrari Alcantara with a playseat challenge to a CSL Elite with a loadcell mounted on a RS1 seat. But I still think the T300 (Alcantara Ferrari) is an upgrade from a G29.

Fanatec is more expensive yes, maybe too much for me at the moment. If I would go all in I would probably buy a TGT then.
I guess I am going to stay with G29 for a while.
Actually one of the main reasons I bought a wheel is that I could compete with the best drivers in Sport Mode and I think G29 does a pretty good job, because I can get at the end of the week in the top 50 qualification lap time pretty much every time.
I doubt the T300 would make me any faster...? Maybe Fanatec or TGT, but that comes in the future probably :)

Fanatec is more expensive yes, maybe too much for me at the moment. If I would go all in I would probably buy a TGT then.
I guess I am going to stay with G29 for a while.
Actually one of the main reasons I bought a wheel is that I could compete with the best drivers in Sport Mode and I think G29 does a pretty good job, because I can get at the end of the week in the top 50 qualification lap time pretty much every time.
I doubt the T300 would make me any faster...? Maybe Fanatec or TGT, but that comes in the future probably :)
I've used a T300, G29 and a TGT and to be honest the TGT is not worth the extra money over the T300 (or a T500 for that matter).

Its main selling point is the tactile shaker that can be used with exactly one title and the better pedal set than the T300 as standard, now as I have a separate tactile unit I am a little biased, but personally I would stick with my T300 and T3PA Pro combo over a TGT any day of the week.

In terms of the G29 and the T300, yep it is a step-up and a noticeable one, the belt drive is smoother and a lot less noisy in operation which makes a big difference, the pedals have a higher bit-rate (which means better modulation). The only point the G29 has over the T300 is in terms of stock pedals being better, but with a cheap adapter you can use the G29 pedals with a T300 (and get the higher bit-rate as a bonus) or go for the T3PAs or Pros.

The G29 is a great wheel for the money, but the T300 is a step-up and the Thrustmaster modular system (while not as good as the Fanetec on) give a whole load of options in terms of pedals, shifters and rims.

Ok i'm kinda off-topic, but i started driving with my new G29 yesterday on Forza 7 and... man i s:censored:! I tried to do something in the settings but in the end it just goes worse than in the beginning and every cars feel like i'm driving a truck in corners. I guess i should just train until it kicks in... someday.

The thing is, i'm really tempted to pick up GT Sport again. Forza's nice and gives me a good first impression, but... nothing compares to a GT, at least for me. I already know GT feels different from Forza on a controller, but i don't know how big the difference is. I'll continue training myself on Forza until i decide to grab GT Sport i guess.

(One thing i find funny tho, is some high-power race cars seem to be easier to drive than other very basic cars. Like i have almost no problem driving the Sauber C9, but i find the S15 to be more difficult to drive.)

(One thing i find funny tho, is some high-power race cars seem to be easier to drive than other very basic cars. Like i have almost no problem driving the Sauber C9, but i find the S15 to be more difficult to drive.)
On track and up to the limit trace cars are easier to drive than road cars, road cars don't have the tyres or the suspension to be at home on the track (and the reverse is also true - most race cars would be a nightmare on the rough, broken surface that is most public roads).

Its a myth than race cars are difficult to drive, the are difficult to drive at the limit and to do so consistently and when you go over the limit they do so quicker (mainly as you are going quicker) and more abruptly.

Ok i'm kinda off-topic, but i started driving with my new G29 yesterday on Forza 7 and... man i s:censored:! I tried to do something in the settings but in the end it just goes worse than in the beginning and every cars feel like i'm driving a truck in corners. I guess i should just train until it kicks in... someday.

The thing is, i'm really tempted to pick up GT Sport again. Forza's nice and gives me a good first impression, but... nothing compares to a GT, at least for me. I already know GT feels different from Forza on a controller, but i don't know how big the difference is. I'll continue training myself on Forza until i decide to grab GT Sport i guess.

I've played GT Sport and Forza 7 with my CSL Elite and I must say that Forza is just poor with a wheel. Honestly, it is night and day difference compared to GT Sport. If you want great FFB on Xbox then try Assetto Corsa....it's even better than GT Sport in the FFB area. Obviously the game itself is very limited, but AC is brilliant on the track. But yeah, Forza 7 isn't even worth the time on a wheel IMHO. I know Turn 10 keep trying to improve this aspect, but it doesn't seem to be helping thus far. I suppose if Forza 7 is all anyone ever played they might think the wheel support is okay.....but once you go to GT Sport and then back to Forza on a wheel.....yikes, it's awful.

Thanks for the info on the seat, i’ll Check that out. As for the lap times, it isn’t really that important as I don’t race online and i’ve Completed Campaign mode so i’ll Just start again and learn as I go.
Don't compete on-line? Then you have two things to do.

1. Definitely get a wheel. (But give it time once you do. There is a lot learn about getting it set up right. Take your time and you will get settings that work for you)

2. Get racing on-line. You don't have to race in Sport Mode. There are plenty of leagues that cater to all manner of tastes. Some are very casual and some are super serious.

Come join the rest of us. It will be great to have another member in the on-line community.:cheers:

P.S. Don't take my post as being judgmental about the online stuff.

I got a second hand g29 and wheel stand a few month ago and couldn’t go back to a pad. I not convinced a Fanatec wheel is faster. IoF was using a g29 until he got a tgt some time ago and he was pretty fast with it. Still I have to admit I think about upgrading to a tgt or Fanatec once a week.

Absolutely get a wheel and seat. Big investment up front, but we'll worth it! I just got the G29 and Open Wheeler seat. HATED GT Sport until I played it with this set up, and now I can't get enough of it.

A T-GT or Fanatec wheel wont make you faster!! But it is much more joy to drive.

Agreed. I have two of the more expensive wheels, an Accuforce for PC sim racing, and a Fanatec CSL Elite PS4 edition for GT Sport on PS4 Pro, and I am still slow. Its all about immersion.

Back