• Thread starter TheBook
  • 9 comments

TheBook

Literary Member
Premium
United States
Sturgis, MI
GTP_ty00123
I just graduated from the MSF Basic Rider's Course last weekend. The instructor (also the person who owns the bikes, Kawasaki Eliminator 125s) said she wanted to sell some of them for $800 a piece. This is about as cheap as I can get a bike around here and I'm seriously considering it, if just to ride around for a season and get used to riding. Should I go for it?

Yeah even though they are dropped a lot, if it still works, they usually get maintained pretty well, DO IT!

Do it. Those things are maintained well. The worst thing you would worry about is the clutch. In my area, all the MSF bikes get replaced when they get to 1,000 miles. YMMV of course

Thanks for the input. I'm not sure which ones are being sold exactly, but I do know that mine had 600 miles and I saw two others with 1600 and 3000. If I can take my choice, I'll pick the one without the dented tank or broken turn signal. :lol:

Thanks for the input. I'm not sure which ones are being sold exactly, but I do know that mine had 600 miles and I saw two others with 1600 and 3000. If I can take my choice, I'll pick the one without the dented tank or broken turn signal. :lol:

It would probably be best if you don't get the one with a dented fuel tank nor the one with broken turn signal unless you want your bike to be 'special'.

Dents don't add character. I don't care what anyone says.

Says the guy that has never bought a bike without a dented tank :lol:

We picked up a 1981 Yamaha 250 ex-MSF bike when my dad got interested in riding, based on the same logic as stated in this thread -- good maintenance, if a bit abused. The exhaust needed patching and the fuel tank sprung a leak after a couple years, but otherwise it's a clean and well-running bike; it has less than 10k miles. As long as the bike looks good it's a solid plan. 👍

Well, that didn't go through. However, I came across a 1986 Honda Rebel 250 yesterday. 20k miles, maintained well, been stored for two years. $500 later, it's in my driveway. :D I'm going to clean it up, change the oil, and put new spark plugs in it, but it rode the five miles home perfectly fine.

Back