Should I repaint my car? (For an odd specific case, but also any future users)

• Thread starter Quakebass
  • 11 comments

Quakebass

Premium
United States
Washington
quakebass
Hi GTPlanet! I didn’t see a similar thread that I could hop into, and my research online has netted me mixed results that hasn’t given me solid answers for my specific situation.

I’ve been searching for almost a year and have finally gotten my sights potentially locked on an example of a somewhat uncommon/potentially collectible car getting ready to be imported from Japan. The car in question is currently being held in a Japanese shop/dealership that’s partnered with the importer, and is set up for a repaint regardless before it’s shipped to the importer’s showroom. Because I lucked out in being early to the draw, I’m being given the opportunity to pick a color. I’m still waiting on more details to be sent my way before I pull the trigger, but I’m already leaning towards a purchase from what info they do have. My question is, assuming I stick with the color that it originally was out of the factory (red), would it retain more value long-term than painting it another color, even another OEM factory option? My whole thing is that I don’t really like red on cars, but since this car could appreciate, I want to know if picking a color more towards my tastes (probably yellow or white) would reduce it’s appreciation potential.

Thanks!

(Also feel free to use this as a space to talk any other repainting topics!)

- Will

Last edited:
I'd get it painted the OEM red, then once you get it you can either dip it or do a vinyl wrap in the colour you want the car to be if you're concerned about a future owner or the value.

I agree with @Joey D, the cars original factory OEM colour is the way to go for anyone wanting to preserve their cars value.

Also, I'm not sure what type of respray the car is receiving but if it's only a closed door respray it would make the car look crap when you open the doors/bonnet/boot and see the original red in the door jambs... especially if it was painted yellow.

Edit: Like this...
img_4225.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with @Joey D, the cars original factory OEM colour is the way to go for anyone wanting to preserve their cars value.

Also, I'm not sure what type of respray the car is receiving but if it's only a closed door respray it would make the car look crap when you open the doors/bonnet/boot and see the original red in the door jambs... especially if it was painted yellow.

Edit: Like this...
View attachment 981760

I’m still awaiting more details, from what I understand I think it’s a complete repaint, but I’m not 100%. The Japanese contacts went on vacation right about when I made the inquiry so there’s been a hefty delay, all the info I’ve been able to get is the info the importer had when they went about acquiring the car - not even pictures yet.

You are very right, I would hate the look of the mis-matched paneling.

I’m still awaiting more details, from what I understand I think it’s a complete repaint, but I’m not 100%. The Japanese contacts went on vacation right about when I made the inquiry so there’s been a hefty delay, all the info I’ve been able to get is the info the importer had when they went about acquiring the car - not even pictures yet.

You are very right, I would hate the look of the mis-matched paneling.
Another thing to be wary of with a respray is trim off/windows/seals out or masked. If I was keeping a car for an investment I'd either want no respray at all or completely stripped and the bare shell put on a rotisserie, but that's just my preference. :)

Hopefully you get some good info soon.

Last edited:
Update (finally):

Due to slow movement between lines of communication I missed out on the opportunity to pick a color, and the shop already went with it’s factory red. The importers will be sending me new pictures of things I want to see in detail next week, but for now I was given two pics, not sure if they were pre or post job.

969897B9-61EC-4606-BBC4-72CB1CFED66F.jpeg

18FDE98C-DC98-40B7-8734-91082C02268D.jpeg

I have to say I’ve warmed to red. If I’m satisfied with the condition of the undercarriage I’ll surely be pulling the trigger on this.

Last edited:
Red is definitely the color for that car anyway.

I dunno, I still find yellow to be my favorite (it was also a fairly rare option only being offered between ‘94 and ‘95) as well as white with gold/bronze wheels. There had been one at another local importer that I ultimately wasn’t able to get the cash for in time, and had a looooot of mechanical issues and corrosion that would’ve made it risky, but man I loved the look of it’s spec.

8D964263-5541-494A-A3A8-888422704684.jpeg

CE09E43B-DE9C-4BC8-BF29-21F1C2438BFD.jpeg

7F0087E1-352E-4AC6-8DDB-32F412B463C8.jpeg

F5AF2ED7-515C-49B5-82E3-FB00D78AA9EC.jpeg

1E640033-EC22-4509-99F0-5088F4132812.jpeg

B101FE80-7C58-4718-BAE8-33F6053BBE1A.jpeg

I originally wanted to avoid red because I personally find it as an almost overdone “generic sports car” color, and plus it’s already on my daily. I also don’t generally like darker/black colors cuz they often hide vents and other details and intricacies in the bodywork. Most the other colors ST205s were available in were very 90’s ugly metallic colors like teal and seafoam.

But again, seeing this red one now in it’s current spec has warmed me and I desperately hope the underbody is in good shape. I’m hoping I can get some black OEM WRC spoiler risers at some point too.

Last edited:
I dunno, I still find yellow to be my favorite (it was also a fairly rare option only being offered between ‘94 and ‘95) as well as white with gold/bronze wheels. There had been one at another local importer that I ultimately wasn’t able to get the cash for in time, and had a looooot of mechanical issues and corrosion that would’ve made it risky, but man I loved the look of it’s spec.

View attachment 984383

View attachment 984385

View attachment 984386

View attachment 984387

View attachment 984388

View attachment 984389

I originally wanted to avoid red because I personally find it as an almost overdone “generic sports car” color, and plus it’s already on my daily. I also don’t generally like darker/black colors cuz they often hide vents and other details and intricacies in the bodywork. Most the other colors ST205s were available in were very 90’s ugly metallic colors like teal and seafoam.

But again, seeing this red one now in it’s current spec has warmed me and I desperately hope the underbody is in good shape. I’m hoping I can get some black OEM WRC spoiler risers at some point too.

Isn't it all a little irrelevant since you are going to vinyl wrap it anyway?

Castrol-Celica-02.jpg

;)

UPDATE 2:

I’ve received over 100 pictures of the car post-paintwork from my contact, I’ll put it in a spoiler to not overload the page, but here’s some of the highlights and key areas:

5C65F4FB-AC29-4622-85F7-67FE8C78FA6C.jpeg
B5D3DA99-244D-4A5A-8342-45C4B287E7A3.jpeg
6CDFF56E-F2A1-4540-B91C-7BE2CC49F181.jpeg
73D49F02-4743-421C-88E3-BFDAC3F654CE.jpeg
FE6CB3F2-081B-4027-9B15-3931549F3A4F.jpeg
14CB685E-67EA-4B82-BA92-DD025622DA25.jpeg

It has some scuffs on it, but luckily the most problematic things appear to be on the front and rear bumpers, so if I want to touch it up or they ever develop larger problems, they’re on an accessible and replaceable parts.

7B0BFEC0-FE30-4564-9102-ACF72628033B.jpeg
0F1F6C8D-A350-4F89-9C48-A88B4E7DBB10.jpeg
53F767EB-E419-4391-BD1C-69D9ED82F9AB.jpeg
C11B1FBD-0469-488A-B6DE-A25D8AED529F.jpeg
6935ECE1-25FE-438A-A12E-26DE21ECB8DD.jpeg
2F8C55F8-6567-44FB-A89C-17C862C93970.jpeg
3B30EC16-0B95-4DE7-AF26-27790CB30624.jpeg
F7B8D6EF-8DD4-4FFC-A0DB-D6A4FD320955.jpeg

The only thing that really concerns me is one spot on the underbody, the rest is mostly fine with only minor manageable and reasonable surface corrosion in small areas.

0073A056-582F-4A41-A541-040974760CC7.jpeg

^ I don’t know what those crack-looking things are and I’m not entirely clear what it’s on (we’re looking from the back towards the front of the car), but I’m ready to deal with it. According to my contact it’s still due for a wet sand and polish, so the orange peel look on the body can be reduced.

Isn't it all a little irrelevant since you are going to vinyl wrap it anyway?

Castrol-Celica-02.jpg

;)

I was considering keeping it mostly stock both because I’ll be new to “fun car” ownership, but don’t get me wrong this has absolutely crossed my mind. :lol: I have ideas for another project in the future but I need to finish figuring this one out first.

Last edited:
^ I don’t know what those crack-looking things are and I’m not entirely clear what it’s on (we’re looking from the back towards the front of the car), but I’m ready to deal with it.

While it's in a body shop get them to wire brush the underside and clean it up, get any welding done (check behind sills!!!!!!) and then get it sealed. No point having a lovely shiny top side if the underneath's leaving clouds of old metal on every bump!

It's looking great, needs a good polish to finish the paint (and you said it's getting one), personally I wouldn't vinyl it at all unless it starts going pink.

Back