Should the NFS series be should to another company?

• Thread starter furryboy96
  • 24 comments
United States
United States
bloodykills750
A lot of people aren't happy with the current direct of NFS and some say that EA doesn't even care about the series anymore. With that said, would it be better if NFS was should to another game company? Although I'd like to point out that the chances of this happening is incredibly low.

even if the fans thinks it should be in the hands of a different company, EA is not selling the IP of NFS anyway. Also the name of the IP is less important if someone else could make a proper spiritual successor to NFS (if that is even possible with so many variation of NFS exist at this point).

Just wanted to apologize for the necro-bump.
even if the fans thinks it should be in the hands of a different company, EA is not selling the IP of NFS anyway. Also the name of the IP is less important if someone else could make a proper spiritual successor to NFS (if that is even possible with so many variation of NFS exist at this point).
Besides, what truly defines NFS? I'd say it's licensed cars combined with police chases. MW2005 wasn't just the best-selling NFS game of all-time, but I also feel like it was an emblem of what defines Need for Speed.

With more up-to-date news that's been released since this last post, I'm hoping that Criterion - or at least, what's left of it - can bring us an NFS title that breaks past a MetaScore of 80, as the last title to do that was literally a decade ago with MW2012. I'm cautiously optimistic, as the current Criterion lacks two key members - Fiona Sperry and Alex Ward - but still has some people who were at the OG Criterion, combined with some Ghost staff and new hires.

Otherwise, my only requests are as follows:
1. There are licensed vehicles.
2. There are police chases involving said licensed vehicles.
3. The game is otherwise good enough to warrant the best MetaScore in over a decade.

I don't care how they go about it. I just want it to happen.

Last edited:
Just wanted to apologize for the necro-bump.

Besides, what truly defines NFS? I'd say it's licensed cars combined with police chases. MW2005 wasn't just the best-selling NFS game of all-time, but I also feel like it was an emblem of what defines Need for Speed.

With more up-to-date news that's been released since this last post, I'm hoping that Criterion - or at least, what's left of it - can bring us an NFS title that breaks past a MetaScore of 80, as the last title to do that was literally a decade ago with MW2012. I'm cautiously optimistic, as the current Criterion lacks two key members - Fiona Sperry and Alex Ward - but still has some people who were at the OG Criterion, combined with some Ghost staff and new hires.

Otherwise, my only requests are as follows:
1. There are licensed vehicles.
2. There are police chases involving said licensed vehicles.
3. The game is otherwise good enough to warrant the best MetaScore in over a decade.

I don't care how they go about it. I just want it to happen.
The current Criterion is mostly the same team as Ghost but with Heat being surprisingly well recieved by majority of its fan base, I hope they finally found a theme/style of NFS to stick with going forward.

I don't think the fans really care much on what the Metascore is and personally I stopped caring about reviews score since it rarely aligned with what I find enjoyable.

MW 2005 was a huge success. But there are many factors that made that happen. The major one being that most of us view EA as a good company back then and NFS being already a leader in open world or arcade racers in general. And it brought a fresh formula. Racing + fighting the police.
Now I have no doubt removing the EA logo would help a lot. But the reputation is already compromised for NFS. I don't think that there are many who believe that a good NFS game is even possible nowadays. So you already have a rough start when making a new game. Even if they managed to release a perfect game people will still be cautious. Metascore won't make that much difference.
They need to regain the trust of the fans back. I can only see that happening if they try to support the game first. Updates on fixes and new content are essential today. That combined with a quality product is the right way.
At least the last 3 games do feel like they have a common theme. I hope they will stick with it. They are on the right road imo, but there's still a lot of work to do.
I think the reputation is already at the bottom and can only go up. Fans don't have high expectations (except those that want to bring past experience back) so they just need to support the next game properly.
If I'm honest I doubt there's still time to save or rather bring this franchise back to it's former glory. I'm still a fan of the games. Had a lot of fun with Heat. Shame they tossed it apart so soon.

NFS2 and Underground 1 and 2 didn't have cops. (This excludes the legal-racing oriented ProStreet and Shift series)

You can say that at this point NFS has a Sonic-like identity crisis (to the very point that IMO the Sonic Cycle meme can also apply to NFS); this is what I said when around Payback's announcement:
Need for Speed is basically the racing games equivalent of Sonic the Hedgehog franchise at this point, with developers constantly changing ideas every game (and also the constant change in development team) AND the unpleasable fanbase thinking what era/game was the best – and what the developers should cling to.

NFS2 and Underground 1 and 2 didn't have cops. (This excludes the legal-racing oriented ProStreet and Shift series)
That's true, but there was still this air of doing something clandestine. I mean, the subtitle is "Underground," after all.

Last edited:
^this.

Heat was good. It was just abandoned to quickly. I also think that NFS HEAT formula has great potential they just need to polish it more.
We know there was scrapped (pun not intended) cars with bodykits by K.S. found in Heat’s data. I’m quite sure that there was a lot more planned for Heat, as far as post-launch content goes, and I can only assume Covid-19 had something to do with the sudden stop in updates.

Last edited:
NFS is a big IP for EA, and one of the franchises that rose them to AAA status. I doubt EA would ever sell it entirely. They might outsource development of it, as they had in the past, but EA will always be the publisher.

Now that that is said, subjectively, I only wish they'd put more care into it like they used to in the '90s and early '00s. I'd also like them to make a Porsche 2020, but y'know without the exclusive license BS.

The only way it can go to other company is only when MS or something else would pull off similar deal to Activision Blizzard... But it is highly unlikely

We know there was scrapped (pun not intended) cars with bodykits by K.S. found in Heat’s data. I’m quite sure that there was a lot more planned for Heat, as far as post-launch content goes, and I can only assume Covid-19 had something to do with the sudden stop in updates.
Based on leaks, there were at least 5 content packs and potentially some live service model planned for Heat, but the bad timing with the studio move and the pandemic were to blame for those ideas never seeing the light.

Also, there is no scenario I can see the NFS licence leaving EA's control. If anything, EA could let Codemasters and Slightly Mad Studios try releasing a title under the NFS franchise in the event Criterion's release doesn't deliver (the SMS scenario becomes more likely now that Ian Bell has departed from the company).

Even if the $1.2bn Codemasters purchase was primarily to get a hold of the F1 licence, EA would be silly to throw away one of the most recognised racing game franchises given how many other IPs they have in the field now.

I think that was part of it but the other question would be whether or not the game met EA's expectations in terms of sales. That may or not have played a part in no post release supprt

kjb
I think that was part of it but the other question would be whether or not the game met EA's expectations in terms of sales. That may or not have played a part in no post release supprt
To begin with, Heat sold faster than any other Need For Speed game did this generation

Then in the long run, it sold 'kind of as expected', which probably indicates it was in the lower range of forecasted figures.

As a whole, it just about met its target for the launch period which would have been enough to proceed with post-launch support.

Okay that makes sense. Just trying to figure why there was no post launch support. I get the pandemic related stuff but that can't be the only reason it didn't happen. But maybe it was who knows

I remember it was mentioned that Heat post launched content was way behind scheduled prior to the pandemic hit too, it took months until the first update with 2 cars added then the announcement on NFS moving back to Criterion Games + the start of the pandemic.

It looks to be a very messy situation with moving studios and they probably think just end it to focus on the next game is a better decision.

Last edited:
Not too sure is the news is accurate but looks like Codemasters is involved in NFS 2022 as a support team:

How very interesting. I had already heard that CodeMasters might be helping with the NFS franchise, but I can't say I was expecting that integration to be this soon. At any rate, between CodeMasters being on support and Criterion (or at least its modern incarnation) being the developer, I feel like this is NFS' ultimate chance.

I know that the previous games as of late have had their followers, but I think if this game is the first since MW2012 to get a MetaCritic score above 80, it'll be indicative that this game is a remarkable improvement that appeals to a lot more people. Until then, I feel that GT7 and its colossal amount of customization options should be making Criterion et al incredibly nervous. As far as I care, all NFS has left is police chases and a multi-platform release that includes cross-play. I feel like the police chases in MW2005/Carbon were best, even if they had some space for improvement. I loved the tension you could feel when you're cooling down, looking for a hiding spot. I also really thought the gang/territory mechanic in Carbon had a lot more potential, especially as an emergent online mode not unlike MAG or Planetside. But I digress. I'm sure we'll see more of the game this May/June.

Still, the fact that it's not just CodeMasters, but specifically the part of CodeMasters that were formerly the creators of DriveClub should bode extremely well. I wish NFS 2022 the best of luck.

Last edited:
What needs to happen is for another studio to buy the Midnight Club IP from Rockstar.

In regards to NFS, as long as Ghost Games is far away from the franchise I can be optimistic. I didn't forget Payback. I never forget.

Didn't Ghost do Heat? Heat is okay not amongst my favs but it is enjoyable. It has engine swaps which is always good. The day/night thing is horrible. Hopefully sourcing out the some work to Codies helps make this a good NFS

How very interesting. I had already heard that CodeMasters might be helping with the NFS franchise, but I can't say I was expecting that integration to be this soon. At any rate, between CodeMasters being on support and Criterion (or at least its modern incarnation) being the developer, I feel like this is NFS' ultimate chance.
Based on those tweets, it looks to be CM Chesire GM is leaving the studio is the reason they are joining in as support. EA did mention that CM could end up helping and sharing knowledge with NFS back when they just acquired CM.
I know that the previous games as of late have had their followers, but I think if this game is the first since MW2012 to get a MetaCritic score above 80, it'll be indicative that this game is a remarkable improvement that appeals to a lot more people. Until then, I feel that GT7 and its colossal amount of customization options should be making Criterion et al incredibly nervous. As far as I care, all NFS has left is police chases and a multi-platform release that includes cross-play.
MW2012 has a 80 metacritics and divided the fan base at the same time, the score the game gets from critcs matter a lot less when a huge chunk of the fan base dislike it. I won't worry too much on GT7 even on the customisation side of things, from what I've seen so far I don't think it has the same level of visual customisation madness that NFS provide. Also both games do appeal for different groups of players and GT7 is a PS4 and 5 exclusive title.

Like you said, NFS is the only game left with police chases now. They are also the only racing game that truly focused on illegal street racing with visual customisation as its main core. NFS has a nice niche in the racing genre and all they really need is just more improvements. Heat was a huge step in the right direction for majority of the fans.
In regards to NFS, as long as Ghost Games is far away from the franchise I can be optimistic. I didn't forget Payback. I never forget.
The current Criterion Games is mostly made up of Ghost Games anyway, the only benefit for them moving back to the Criterion office is to have a bigger team to work on the game. Lack of man power is one of the reason Ghost Games got shut down and NFS move back to Criterion Games.

Also, Heat is great. Not my favourite NFS but it is the best NFS in the last 10 years for me.
kjb
Didn't Ghost do Heat? Heat is okay not amongst my favs but it is enjoyable. It has engine swaps which is always good. The day/night thing is horrible. Hopefully sourcing out the some work to Codies helps make this a good NFS
I actually like the day/night system they have, it is gimmicky but it is fun. If only the day races has a even more official look like they claim, day time open world city has more traffic, night cops isn't useless by mid game onwards and night time isn't fully restricted to just EXP grind by end game.

I don't mind they stick with that but maybe link it with a working day night cycle.

Last edited:
Back