Should World Tour/ GT Sport drivers get paid?

• Thread starter theschledy
  • 47 comments
You can see a list of the highest earning e-sports players, and the games they're making money from, here:
https://www.esportsearnings.com/players

Sorted by games that pay the most money:
https://www.esportsearnings.com/games

And some info here about how the biggest paying game in that list raises the money for the prize fund:
https://www.popsci.com/5-things-know-about-dota-2/
Jesus Maria

DOTA2 awards $31 million in prize money each year and here we are debating if GT players should be awarded at all

Jesus Maria

DOTA2 awards $31 million in prize money each year and here we are debating if GT players should be awarded at all

PD could take a page from Valve's book: give us players an incentive to support the world tour.

It doesn't have to be a battle pass like for DOTA2, but say if they released an inexpensive cosmetic DLC pack celebrating the teams and drivers (special driver gear, liveries etc etc.) and split a portion of the DLC price towards a prize pool then already this will go a long way of supporting the participants.

But PD probably won't do this.

PD could take a page from Valve's book: give us players an incentive to support the world tour.

It doesn't have to be a battle pass like for DOTA2, but say if they released an inexpensive cosmetic DLC pack celebrating the teams and drivers (special driver gear, liveries etc etc.) and split a portion of the DLC price towards a prize pool then already this will go a long way of supporting the participants.

A good idea but do you really think people will buy that ? I mean people are conplaining for not getting free stuff / not getting the free stuff they wanted

I work as a freelance writer in my spare time, so my answer may seem a bit biased. I'm of the opinion that if you're exceptional at something, you should be paid for it. With competitive gaming, those payouts will likely come by way of sponsorships, endorsements, or prize money. However, I understand that there are complications in implementing this consistently since the player base is so diverse and laws and regulations vary from one region to the next. I also understand that there's a conflicting belief that the "experience" and "exposure" (two words I encounter a lot as a freelancer) of such events should be just as good, if not better, than any form of compensation.

Last edited:
You... Realize how big DOTA 2 esport scene is compared to other games, right?!

It beats all racing games ESports combined. And while I dont really want to weigh in about pay or not to pay GTSport players here, I can say that to treat GTSport the same monetarily as DOTA 2 is rather delusional, lets be very honest.
I think this is an underrated factor in all of this. While GT may be popular, I feel like it's viewership is small compared to games like DOTA. Those events seem to be insanely large. Ultimately money comes with sponsors, and sponsors come with viewers, although there's probably more to that in the eSports world. The all expenses pair route might be easier for games that don't bring in a lot of viewers.

Yeah I like something like that.

But perhaps not really cosmetics etc. But more statistics, to stay with DOTA2, not a battle pass but more DOTA+. Like a season pass during an FIA season and that allows you to see track maps, where you lose time compared to the top 10. Or even off rivals near you in the standings. See how you improve during the FIA season, your best tracks/worst tracks. And then you can compare it to other in your nation/manufacturer. Just a crap ton of stats.

I would pay for that. Like cosmetics I personally don't really care about. Especially with GT Sport having such a great editor (and no, I don't want to see that be removed to give value to paying for cosmetics).

I'm of the opinion that if you're exceptional at something, you should be paid for it.

If you're exceptional at something then your worth relative to everyone else that does that thing is higher, but supply and demand sets what range the market will pay. If the top 2000 players boycotted any event they weren't paid for, the organisers might take notice, but I'm pretty sure there'd be a long list of people that would happily do it for free, so why pay?

A simple, immediate solution to me would be to reward 2nd and 3rd place with a Tag Heuer watch too, it's pretty fair for their efforts. From what i've gathered, the watch they rewarded the winners in the last event retails for around $4.000, which is not too shabby. It's this one, in case you're wondering - https://www.tagheuer.com/br/en/time...1-mm-calibre-16-automatic/CBK2112.FC6292.html
That's a nice watch. I'd try to sell that right away :lol:.

Didn't some of them get T-GT's too?

If you're exceptional at something then your worth relative to everyone else that does that thing is higher, but supply and demand sets what range the market will pay. If the top 2000 players boycotted any event they weren't paid for, the organisers might take notice, but I'm pretty sure there'd be a long list of people that would happily do it for free, so why pay?

Yeah. I get that, hence the rest of my post.

I think this is an underrated factor in all of this. While GT may be popular, I feel like it's viewership is small compared to games like DOTA. Those events seem to be insanely large. Ultimately money comes with sponsors, and sponsors come with viewers, although there's probably more to that in the eSports world. The all expenses pair route might be easier for games that don't bring in a lot of viewers.
If i was one of the winners after getting my first watch i would ask Tag Heuer for a 4K check instead :lol:

It's chicken and egg, though. If there were life-changing sums of cash being given to competitors, it would get a lot more viewers.

You... Realize how big DOTA 2 esport scene is compared to other games, right?!

It beats all racing games ESports combined. And while I dont really want to weigh in about pay or not to pay GTSport players here, I can say that to treat GTSport the same monetarily as DOTA 2 is rather delusional, lets be very honest.
To elaborate from what I was saying, the current prize pool for racing games on average is about 10k to 15k pounds, which is about $13k to $19k in US dollars.

I am inclined with them being paid. With that said though even in current scene, the players are already paid for their accommodation, travel, goodies, and some prizes for winnings (though not in raw money form).

I jusy hoped that Sony can make their relationship to the big ESport names (like how PCars did with ESL). With that said unfortunately, it seems that Japanese companies are not into Esports scene whose game is not fighting games.

Note: The one that makes final financial decisions in the end is not PD, but Sony, keep in mind.

Note: The one that makes final financial decisions in the end is not PD, but Sony, keep in mind.

Can't question that because I don't know how it works, but if it's true then, in a world where esports is growing at a lightning speed, it's decisions like that that will let the top players decide between Xbox X and PS5.

The question to this debate is to answer is,
Who pays for the prize? Polyphony.
When was the last time we, the ones that play GTS, paid for anything? After buying the game, never. Unless one paid for LH DLC. Sony probably doesn't put in any significant money into the World Tour. PD probably pays the FIA and manufacturers for use of the property during the events. Although, that might not be the case. To see any prize money, this event needs a cosponsor or more to inject more cash.
I didn't see the above post.
But, I didn't remember seeing a whole lot of Sony stuff on any the signage or swag. Which I'm sure they would have if they had ponied up the money to put it on. This is Kaz's show.

That's a nice watch. I'd try to sell that right away :lol:.

Didn't some of them get T-GT's too?

They did apparently, but i don't know if it is recurrent or if it was just an occasional thing. Maybe a Red Puma Shirt can clarify this one, show up guys :lol:

To elaborate from what I was saying, the current prize pool for racing games on average is about 10k to 15k pounds, which is about $13k to $19k in US dollars.

I am inclined with them being paid. With that said though even in current scene, the players are already paid for their accommodation, travel, goodies, and some prizes for winnings (though not in raw money form).

This is something we really have to remember and consider - paid accomodation and travel expenses. Someone correct me if i'm wrong but i think Forza has a bigger prize pool for the winners, but you have to pay for your trip expenses, which make things difficult for anyone not living in the host country. I'd rather have the GT model, with a smaller prize pool, but paid travel expenses - it makes the whole experience a lot more democratic, more of a passionate experience, which fits with the game mood. And it scares away the bounty-hunters who aren't really into motorsports :D

But yeah, just concluding - Tag Heuer, shell out more watches to the Podium Winners! Some $3k and $2k ones would be nice for 2nd and 3rd place. Michelin too! I could really use a set of Pilot Sports if i someday reach that point of getting a podium on a Live Event :lol:

Back