Show off your sim racing rig here!

I finally managed to replace my old and wornout Playseat Challenge with this, a Trak Racer TR160.
I always wanted to upgrade to a aluminum rig, and the ones from Trak Racer and Sim-Lab are my favourite ones.
At first I was checking out a Sim-Lab GT1 Evo and the Trak Racer TR120, and was thinking about buying one of them brand new.
But a guy less than 40 miles away from me had a TR160 for sale for a very good price.
The rig has no scratches or other types of damages, so it looks brand new. All I had to do was buying a seat for it.
I liked the GT seat so I ordered one and it arrived 2 days later. Fast shipping!
Less than 2 months ago I swapped my good old Logitech G29 for a Fanatec DD Pro and McLaren wheel, and now I have the rig that fits that equipment. Super happy with it!

The reason why I went for a regular tv with no monitormount is because I like to play other games on my PS5 too.
The room you see is going to be my game/sim room. I will decorate this room with gaming/simracing decorations and other carstuff like posters, wooden racetrack layouts etc. When I done that I will post it here as well.

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-16 at 13.41.08.jpeg

Nothing fancy at all in comparison to everyone else. I’m happy with it and don’t think I want any more upgrades on this, my first sim rig. Next one will be a whole new one aluminum profile with triple screens PC dedicated instead of console dedicated, but I’m a long time off from that and enjoying mine:
IMG_0839.jpegIMG_0840.jpeg

IMG_0841.jpegIMG_0843.jpeg

Finally upgraded the seat in the Next Level Racing GT Track to a good Sparco one that actually supports my back.

Now I can drive on it more than 30 minutes at a time without my back going into spasms and my legs and arm’s going numb from nerve compression from bad posture due to the criminally terrible NLR seat. In 3 days the extra extended practice already has improved my hot lap times from simply a solid ergonomic seat.

Shoutout to my droid pit crew

X-Rocker seat and wheel mount, with Omega GT brace bars for extra support - there was a bit of flex on the wheel mount with high torque, but these have stiffened it up a lot. I've reduced torque for racing online anyway, so it's not really an issue now.

Fanatec GT Pro DD 8nm, CSL load cell pedals, McLaren GT3 wheel. I think I'll bolt the pedals to the base rather than rely on the clamps, and also add something underneath for extra rigidity.

Currently using the living room Sony 65" TV but planning on getting a curved monitor at some point - preferably mounted to the rig itself.
image-1200x1000.jpg (1).png
image-1200x1000.jpg.png

image-1200x1000.jpg (2).png

Last edited:
The Hardware Path - Brought to you by Skippy :gtpflag:

G29 fold away setup.png

G29: How it started.... I'll do this racing thing once in a while and put it away when not....

CSL Elite Initial.png

Found this used CSL Elite along with a not wanted DD Pro wheel... hmmm
Gotta have some better pedals and found lightly used CSL's.
I needed a more secure rig so built one with 2040 extruded aluminum stock with temporary seating solution...

CSL Elite Final.png

How about a real seat?
I found this used Honda Accord seat, very comfortable, great lumbar support!
Also upgraded the brake pedal to load cell and added some vibration sensation under seat and pedals.

DD Pro 1.png

I want to be better.. what can I do?
1. DD Pro: more torque for sure, good feedback but CSL Elite is no slouch in this department either.
2. Rig upgrade: same homemade design using 3060 extruded aluminum with M6 fasteners, nothing moves nomore!

230822 SIM RIG.jpg

Same as above including TV view. Imagine the cleaning I had to do before I could take this pic...
Did recently add the VR experience, there's a time and place for both.

I think my setup is complete (for now!) Added a 32" Samsung G7 monitor, GT Omega monitor stand, Creative speakers - I just have an audio splitter to come so I can plug the headset in too when needed.
Now I just need to sell my tropical fish tank then I can move the seat to it's dedicated corner.

PXL_20230831_134636366.MP (1).jpg

PXL_20230831_134628609.jpg

PXL_20230831_131105821.jpg

I did some reinforcement to my Playseat Challenge as it can’t support my upgraded CSL Elite V2 pedals on a stronger setting without lifting in the middle.

I bought some 2x4’ 3/4” MDF and sunk t-nuts on the back side where I wanted to clamp. Then secured the rig with 1" pipe clamps. I intend to spray the silver bits with black hammerite at some point.

I’ve also got carpet to go on this to make it look finishedl but I won’t do that until I build a pedal box to angle up my pedals. So this is part 1.
IMG_7383.jpeg
IMG_7384.jpeg
IMG_7385.jpeg

The pedals are still adjustable for reach by undoing the screws on the four side clamp - those stop the pedals from moving side to side. You can adjust per the normal process on the Playseat and then tighten up the machine screws with a screwdriver.

The rig is in my basement entertainment room on an older 40" TV. The PS5 is routed through a dual zone home theater amp so the gaming rig is zone 2 and the big screen (85") is the main zone. I can run the PS5 on either zone or both at the same time. Doing this 120HZ does not work (as my amp will not pass through 120HZ) but I'm not sensitive to that anyway..

IMG_7386.jpeg

Equipement:
Console: PS5
Game: GT7 (I only race this for now)
Rig: Playseat Challenge
Wheel: Fanatec DD GT Pro
Pedals: CSL Elite V2
Monitor/TV: some old 40" Samsung
Monitor Stand: A cheap Amazon desk that was cut down and reassembled to fit my alcove. Ironically, I cut a couple inches off the legs so it was perfect height when I had a G29 set up and the Playseat on carpet. Now I have the Fanatec and the rig on a board the TV is now too low. I need to make a wood block a couple inches high to place under the TV stand. I'll use some cut off MDF for that after making my pedal box, painted a dark chocolate. That will be cheaper than a TV mount.

I was looking at dedicated rigs but I had spent so much already. I need to stop spending money. Rigs I were looking at (if in stock - many are on backorder) where in the region of $1000 - $1500.

Cost of this strengthening exercise:
MDF $15 per 2x4' panel = $30 as I bought an extra for the intended pedal box
Pipe clamps $8 from Home Depot.
M6 Tee Nuts - 50pk = $10 Amazon.
M6-1.0 x 20mm flat head Philips machine screws (S/S) - 30pk $9 Amazon.
Carpet 4x3' door rug = $10.
Contact adhesive $7
Some misc stuff for building the pedal box later $5
Paint I had laying around - free.

Total cost approx $79. Cheaper than a new rig and all the tacky "Playseat strengthening solutions" out there.

Last edited:
Bought my friends sim setup he wasn't using anymore. I definitely got it for a steal! (1000$)

It also came with some discontinued HPP Simulation Hydraulic Pedals with Seized Brake Pedal. I'll see if I can fix them and maybe sell them.

Eventually I'd like to upgrade to a CSL DD (8Nm?), Fanatec Ebrake, and grab a CSL Steering Wheel 320 V2.

374577694_2004002049955051_3194043409122409910_n.jpg

Last edited:
I did some reinforcement to my Playseat Challenge as it can’t support my upgraded CSL Elite V2 pedals on a stronger setting without lifting in the middle.

I bought some 2x4’ 3/4” MDF and sunk t-nuts on the back side where I wanted to clamp. Then secured the rig with 1" pipe clamps. I intend to spray the silver bits with black hammerite at some point.

I’ve also got carpet to go on this to make it look finishedl but I won’t do that until I build a pedal box to angle up my pedals. So this is part 1.
View attachment 1284834View attachment 1284835View attachment 1284836

The pedals are still adjustable for reach by undoing the screws on the four side clamp - those stop the pedals from moving side to side. You can adjust per the normal process on the Playseat and then tighten up the machine screws with a screwdriver.

The rig is in my basement entertainment room on an older 40" TV. The PS5 is routed through a dual zone home theater amp so the gaming rig is zone 2 and the big screen (85") is the main zone. I can run the PS5 on either zone or both at the same time. Doing this 120HZ does not work (as my amp will not pass through 120HZ) but I'm not sensitive to that anyway..

View attachment 1284837

Equipement:
Console: PS5
Game: GT7 (I only race this for now)
Rig: Playseat Challenge
Wheel: Fanatec DD GT Pro
Pedals: CSL Eliete V2
Monitor/TV: some old 40" Samsung
Monitor Stand: A cheap Amazon desk that was cut down and reassembled to fit my alcove. Ironically, I cut a couple inches off the legs so it was perfect height when I had a G29 set up and the Playseat on carpet. Now I have the Fanatec and the rig on a board the TV is now too low. I need to make a wood block a couple inches high to place under the TV stand. I'll use some cut off MDF for that after making my pedal box, painted a dark chocolate. That will be cheaper than a TV mount.

I was looking at dedicated rigs but I had spent so much already. I need to stop spending money. Rigs I were looking at (if in stock - many are on backorder) where in the region of $1000 - $1500.

Cost of this strengthening exercise:
MDF $15 per 2x4' panel = $30 as I bought an extra for the intended pedal box
Pipe clamps $8 from Home Depot.
M6 Tee Nuts - 50pk = $10 Amazon.
M6-1.0 x 20mm flat head Philips machine screws (S/S) - 30pk $9 Amazon.
Carpet 4x3' door rug = $10.
Contact adhesive $7
Some misc stuff for building the pedal box later $5
Paint I had laying around - free.

Total cost approx $79. Cheaper than a new rig and all the tacky "Playseat strengthening solutions" out there.
Love it! Looks like a great and inexpensive solution. Enjoy!

Bought my friends sim setup he wasn't using anymore. I definitely got it for a steal! (1000$)

It also came with some discontinued HPP Simulation Hydraulic Pedals with Seized Brake Pedal. I'll see if I can fix them and maybe sell them.

Eventually I'd like to upgrade to a CSL DD (8Nm?), Fanatec Ebrake, and grab a CSL Steering Wheel 320 V2.

View attachment 1284995
Great deal indeed, congrats. The CSL DD is great, however the elite you have there is very close in performance. See ya out there :)

Great deal indeed, congrats. The CSL DD is great, however the elite you have there is very close in performance. See ya out there :)
The CSL Elite is such a big upgrade over the Logitech G27 I had! I'm usually on Assetto Corsa, so if you are on there, I am sure I'll see you!

With that said:

Replaced all the O-Rings on the HPP Simulation Pedals, new fluid. These were 1300$ new back in the day! (I got them for free) :sly:

Its mind boggling how high quality these pedals are and how good they feel compared to the Clubsport V3's. Hydraulic Brake Pedal? Chef Kiss

IMG_3010.jpg

IMG_3011.jpg

--

I wasn't really fond of the original wheel that came with the Elite, so ended up buying CSL Steering Wheel 320 V2 with the CSL Universal Hub V2.

So much better in the hands! Much needed upgrade.

IMG_3012.jpg

The CSL Elite is such a big upgrade over the Logitech G27 I had! I'm usually on Assetto Corsa, so if you are on there, I am sure I'll see you!

With that said:

Replaced all the O-Rings on the HPP Simulation Pedals, new fluid. These were 1300$ new back in the day! (I got them for free) :sly:

Its mind boggling how high quality these pedals are and how good they feel compared to the Clubsport V3's. Hydraulic Brake Pedal? Chef Kiss

View attachment 1286327

View attachment 1286328

--

I wasn't really fond of the original wheel that came with the Elite, so ended up buying CSL Steering Wheel 320 V2 with the CSL Universal Hub V2.

So much better in the hands! Much needed upgrade.

View attachment 1286329
My hands just don't like the GT dd pro wheel at all but I just can't decide which wheel is for me... I like the look of this very much though. I prefer a round wheel with big spacing around the spokes for my goofy hands. Keep me posted how you like it longer term!

My hands just don't like the GT dd pro wheel at all but I just can't decide which wheel is for me... I like the look of this very much though. I prefer a round wheel with big spacing around the spokes for my goofy hands. Keep me posted how you like it longer term!

I found the GT DD Pro wheel was causing rubbing and calluses on my hands but that was resolved with a pair of driving gloves. Actually I used super thin Yeti Enduro Cycling gloves and that worked for me. I don’t race without them now.

I found the GT DD Pro wheel was causing rubbing and calluses on my hands but that was resolved with a pair of driving gloves. Actually I used super thin Yeti Enduro Cycling gloves and that worked for me. I don’t race without them now.
It's too small for my fingers anyway. I knew I would want to upgrade before long. I bought a GTI a week ago so now my real car has a far better wheel than my race car (lol) so I'm going to have to get a new one... 😂😂👍

Last edited:
Is that wheel rubber? Instead of leather.

I bought originally a BMW CSL V2 P1, and it was rubber and I hated it immediately.

Thats why I ended up getting a 320 V2 which is leather, so much nicer on the hands. Im not a fan of alcantara either, unless im wearing gloves.

Is that wheel rubber? Instead of leather.

I bought originally a BMW CSL V2 P1, and it was rubber and I hated it immediately.

Thats why I ended up getting a 320 V2 which is leather, so much nicer on the hands. Im not a fan of alcantara either, unless im wearing gloves.
Yes it's a hard rubber. I want the leather as well. I can't wear gloves and drive actually. I spend all day every day with my hand on some type of control, whether it's a steering wheel or a set of joysticks, and I'm just comfortable without gloves.

I'm considering a round wheel (currently have McLaren GT3 wheel) as on some tracks I think round will be more practical.

I was looking at the P1 V2 or WRC (looks like same wheel?) as I don't want to buy a hub too. I'm not keen on the look of the GT DD wheel but it would be very handy having all the controls that it has.

Last edited:
Decided the evolution wasn’t sturdy enough and disliked the central bar. Ended up making this for easy life with missis.
Great work, love a bit of ingenuity! I have similar space/family considerations which has led to a bit of a frankenstein creation on my part, I can appreciate the creativity that's gone in to your solution

Loving my new setup!

I’m not a hardcore simracer more casual racer on the console. The Playseat trophy is ideal for that, I can just move it when I want to play COD for example.

I can recommend the seat. It is very comfy for longer sessions and practical as said above.

Attachments

• IMG_3493.jpeg
    IMG_3493.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 14
I can’t deny that the Trophy looks really clean, especially in Logitech gray and blue. I had a Fanatec CSL seat back in the day and I loved high light and minimal it was, with surprising strength and stability. I was even able to mount my shifter on it! I have a Sim-Lab profile rig now and it’s incredibly robust, but it’s much bigger and heavier and really makes its presence known.
Loving my new setup!

I’m not a hardcore simracer more casual racer on the console. The Playseat trophy is ideal for that, I can just move it when I want to play COD for example.

I can recommend the seat. It is very comfy for longer sessions and practical as said above.

Nothing to show yet, but having just come back into stock I ordered the RCP Cockpit Pro last night. Now I will have no excuse to blame my equipment for my mediocre racing! :lol:

RCP-Cockpit-PRO-NRG-seat-DD1-wheel-deck2_8a9be76b-77e1-49e1-81e8-a9cd2f32607d_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Also ordered the Fanatec DD mount, keyboard/mouse combo and of course a cupholder....

Still rocking a Playseat Evolution that I bought 12 years ago back in the PS3 GT5 days. I recently upgraded from a G29 to a GT DD Pro so I also upgraded to a NLR Wheel Stand 2.0 that luckily bolts onto the Playseat Evolution frame. I wanted to get the NLR GT seat add on but I read that the recliner on those is weak so I guess I am staying with the Playseat for now. I also like that it doesn’t obstruct the TV or projector screen when it’s folded down and the wheel removed so I don’t even have to move it to the side when it’s time to watch a movie with the wifey

IMG_8273.jpegIMG_8267.jpeg

Decided the evolution wasn’t sturdy enough and disliked the central bar. Ended up making this for easy life with missis.
Really appreciate this kind of creativity! Somewhat matches your acount name :D

Last edited:
Back