Silent Hill

  • Thread starter Thread starter tha_con
  • 55 comments
  • 2,272 views

tha_con

(Banned)
Messages
1,656
I can't believe there isn't a forum for this yet, but I suppose I can't ask everyone be fans.

Anyway, anyone going to see it tomorrow night? I'm going to see it, I won't spoil it for anyone, but maybe we'll make a spoiler forum to avoid those, *lol*.
 
Looks not too bad, the only thing holding me back from really wanting to see it is the unfortunate track record for video/computer games made into movies.
 
I have been huge fan of the game since 1998.

I am not over enthused about the movie due to the awful renditions of other game to the big screen, resi evil, tomb raider etc..

the trailer looks okay but i would like to see it based more directly on the game.
 
This looks like it could actually could be pretty good. The trailer impressed me and they seem to have captured the feel of the first game well.
 
This looks like it is going to be a very good movie. The trailers remind me of Resident evil but this looks even better. The
The Silent hill games were usually a little too slow paced for me like the resident evil games. However I really want to see this movie because I like good horror movies.
 
Watched it last night.

I won't post any spoilers, but this movie = TWO THUMBS UP FROM ME.

PS. I thought Resident Evil sucked, and this by FAR stay's MUCH more faithful to the game, and actually RETAINS the atmosphere and feeling you get from the game...it was amazing...to me.
 
Wow, i'm glad it was good because i've really been hoping for a great movie based on these games. Hopefully i will see it at some point but i am hard up for cash right now :(
 
I havent been a big fan of the games as I've only played SH4 but this movie was good. It felt just like the game world, I wont spoil anything but I liked Resident Evil but this movie blows it away. It's not perfect but it can give a person nightmares just like the game can. I would go to see it again.....

edit: Check this out its nice to see if you havent played the games and want to see the movie

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=10142&type=wmv

Roger Ebert gave it 1 1/2 Stars. He's old, he's dissconnected from games, its his opinion. He didn't understand the story.
 
Well... as far as horror movies go, this was a visual masterpiece. This has also got to be the best game-to-movie adapatation too. And yeah, this is also the most intense horror movie this side of the new century. I definitely give this movie two thumbs up. However, I don't reccomend it to just any movie-goer. This really is just for those who have played the game and seek more, and for those horror buffs due the demented/graphic content in the movie.

**SPOILER**

As seen from various trailers, the Red Pyramid monster is in the movie. There is only one from what I understand, and he's really just a random creation and serves little purpose beyond just creeping you out. Pyramid Head is said to have been a tool created from just pure vengence, but isn't really symbolic of any aspect of Alessa's life. But nonetheless, he was awesome. (This is all in terms of the movie, not the games...)

414px-Christophe-gans-20060310021545536.jpg
 
He scares me. I just got Silent hill 2 as Silent hill 3 has been flying of the shelves and clearance bins everwhere i looked. But they all seem to be well stocked with SH4's :) not a great game... imo.
 
LaBounti
Roger Ebert gave it 1 1/2 Stars. He's old, he's dissconnected from games, its his opinion. He didn't understand the story.
Glad to hear it was good, but I usually respect Ebert's opinion and never have played Silent Hill games, so I don't know anything about its' storyline. Do you guys think people like me can still enjoy this movie?
 
I have never played the games, and I saw it last night. It was average. The atmosphere was strangely CG most of the time in the exterior shots of Rose in the town. The music was low-quality video game atmosphere music, and it cheapened the movie. The plot was painfully slow-moving, especially for the first third of the movie.

As with other game-to-movie adaptions, I suppose having played the games would help, in which case they will always be perpetually not too great for the rest of us moviegoers. Too bad.
 
Yes i think you have to play the first game definitely to appreciate the atmosphere, but apparently there wasn't any CG used in the film, at least with all the cahracters anyway.
 
Anderton Prime
I have never played the games, and I saw it last night. It was average. The atmosphere was strangely CG most of the time in the exterior shots of Rose in the town. The music was low-quality video game atmosphere music, and it cheapened the movie. The plot was painfully slow-moving, especially for the first third of the movie.

As with other game-to-movie adaptions, I suppose having played the games would help, in which case they will always be perpetually not too great for the rest of us moviegoers. Too bad.
The only CG used in the film was to generate the Ash in the town, a few of the monsters, and the transition between normal silent hill and the darkness.

The list of monsters that were real go as follows:

Red Pyramid (Pyramid Head)
The Janitor
Nurses
Alessa (for the most part)
Patients (guy's wrapped in fleshy straightjackets/latex)

All of those characters were created and done by actors, and all with the exception of Patients had no CG (the patients had a bubbling / swelling effect added via CG).

So, I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Even so, the CG was done to a point where it wasn't cheesy or unbelievable, and possibly some of the best movie CG I've seen as far as being believable.
 
Other than the last scene there wasnt a lot of CGI used. And when it was it was just breath taking, the transition to the dark world for example, wow!

I never really played the games but I know of it and I enjoyed the movie. Its more a fans movie, it would have been 2 and a half hours if they wanted to explian every charactors background and secrets.
 
**SPOILERS (sort of)**

Specifically I'm speaking of the first time Rose enters Silent Hill and wanders around. With all the white smokey CG fog in the background, she stood out horribly and the scene didn't appear real to me. Plus I was sick of seeing so much ash floating around all the time and never collecting on anything, including ANY of the actors.

But the creatures and monsters were all really well done. I'd add the weird burning "ash-babies" that attack Rose to the list of CG creatures though.

Though it was CG, the scene where the pyramid monster rips the skin off the girl was excellent, as was Christabella's death by barbed wire.
 
**SPOILERS**

Yeah, that woman was Ann. I felt that scene took things a little too far. It was perhaps a little too demented. I mean... there was no cut scene or any kind of censorship. It was straight up raw gore.

Haha, after seeing Silent Hill I forgot all about Roth and his little movie...
Hostel... how cute.
 
I,m looking forward to seeing this movie sometime, does anyone know if this movie will be on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.
 
TVR&Ferrari_Fan
I,m looking forward to seeing this movie sometime, does anyone know if this movie will be on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

It's made by Sony Pictures. That means Blu-Ray exclusively.

As for the film, I quite enjoyed it. While it didn't blow me away as a masterpiece, and I wasn't near as scared as I should have been, the overall experience was quite good.
 
Anderton Prime, thats exactly how it looks in the game but the movie does a much better job. more evidence that those who havent played the game may not understand portions of the movie.

Let me refer you to this link i posted early on.

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2334 click GT Retrospective
 
Really want to see this -- I have heard great things about it. If the weather is bad here this week/weekend I am headed there.
 
Anyone seen or have this: http://www.konami.com/silenthill/she/ ? It's a PSP "game" that has all sorts of stuff about Silent Hill, like the two comics that were made for it are all on there, all this backstory to the film, etc. or at least that's what the website says. I am a big Silent Hill fan, thinking about getting it. It has the soundtrack to the movie and music from the games on it too, I think. I was thinking about getting the two comics ("The Hunger" and "Dying Inside") but it looks like it'd be cheaper to get the PSP version.
 
LaBounti
Anderton Prime, thats exactly how it looks in the game but the movie does a much better job. more evidence that those who havent played the game may not understand portions of the movie.

That makes absolutely no sense. What exactly did I not "understand?" The CG was crap, and saying that's how it is in the game is certainly no excuse.
 
Holy crap! Since I've never played the game, I thought I'd pick up a used copy today before I see the movie, thinking it'd be like 10 bucks. I run a search on eBay real quick, there are some going for $40, $50! What the heck's going on......
 
Anderton Prime
That makes absolutely no sense. What exactly did I not "understand?" The CG was crap, and saying that's how it is in the game is certainly no excuse.
I think he means the strange fog, if I recall correctly in the first Silent Hill the character near the start of the game comments on the strange fog, it's meant to be that way.
 
Jedi2016
It's made by Sony Pictures. That means Blu-Ray exclusively.

As for the film, I quite enjoyed it. While it didn't blow me away as a masterpiece, and I wasn't near as scared as I should have been, the overall experience was quite good.
Think of how many behide the scenes stuff will be on Blu-Ray.
 
a6m5
Holy crap! Since I've never played the game, I thought I'd pick up a used copy today before I see the movie, thinking it'd be like 10 bucks. I run a search on eBay real quick, there are some going for $40, $50! What the heck's going on......

Simple.. you picked a very bad time to try to buy the games. Me, I went hunting for 2 & 3 months ago, found 'em at Gamestop. Bought the two of them for less than twenty bucks.
 
Jedi2016
Simple.. you picked a very bad time to try to buy the games. Me, I went hunting for 2 & 3 months ago, found 'em at Gamestop. Bought the two of them for less than twenty bucks.
So, it's just due to the movie, eh? That does make sense, since I never had any interest in the game until you guys started talking about the movie. Still, supply of the original must be pretty scarce.
 
live4speed
I think he means the strange fog, if I recall correctly in the first Silent Hill the character near the start of the game comments on the strange fog, it's meant to be that way.

Well, you can't make a movie to appeal to only the people who have played the video game before. If you've got something that can be construed as poorly done, cheap CG, you can't explain it away by saying, "Play the game, you'll understand." That fog was crap, and if it was "explained" in the game as being like that "on purpose," it was probably just an excuse to cover up poor video game graphics quality.
 
Back