• 27 comments

Tom

Voice of Gran Turismo
Premium
United Kingdom
Kent
tombrookscomms
Hello.

I've just moved back to the UK and will be setting up a studio/office in order for me to work from home. However, I also have enough room for a sim rig/cockpit of some description and as I'm going to be working in video games a lot more, I'd like some recommendations on what I should look at purchasing. So, here's a few points:

- Cockpit needs to include options for mounting shifters/handbrakes as well as a monitor (unlikely to be triple screen due to space)
- Maximum budget of around £500 ($630 USD/€550 EUR)
- No central post for wheel (ideally looking at something that goes either side of my legs)
- Potential option to mount buttkicker too (looking for the future!)

I'll be using this for PS4 gaming as well as PC, and likely using my T-GT for most things, unless I decide to go PC only in the future.

The one that's stuck out so far in offering all of the above is the GT Omega Professional. Again though, I'm open to option and keen to hear people's thoughts!

Thanks in advance.

Take a look at Sim Lab Tom, https://sim-lab.eu/product-category/cockpit/, Aluminium profile is easy to put together, incredibly adjustable and absolutely rock solid once put together. I've had a cockpit from Sim Lab for the past year and have been very happy with it.

The GT1 Evo, https://sim-lab.eu/product/gt1-evo, is within your budget even if you add a decent seat into the mix. Makes sure you check out the two review vids from Barry at Sim Racing Garage you can find at that link. Barry is very thorough and does a good job with all of his reviews.

Just to reiterate, you will be struggling to find anything else that feels quite as solid as aluminium profile at a similar price.

Last edited:
I think you should send this post to as many "Rig" companies as you can telling them that you are working in video games. Maybe you'll hit on a nice demo model for free. Also you said no center post what about pedals will you want to be able to invert them as some rig you can some not. I have a homemade rig which I've used G25,G27,and G29. The pedals are inverted same G25 pedals bought when G25 springs first came out. Never changed the pedals having installed GTEYE brake spring. Bought a Next Level Racing rig about 3 years ago didn't care for it went back to homemade.
upload_2018-12-21_15-33-33.png

Has gone through changes since first made.
Sure would be nice if someone would open traveling gaming stores for gamers to try out different rigs before dropping big bucks. Do you have friends with rigs that are close enough to try out, I'm just across the pond if you want to drop by, PM :lol: me.

Last edited:
Take a look at Sim Lab Tom, https://sim-lab.eu/product-category/cockpit/, Aluminium profile is easy to put together, incredibly adjustable and absolutely rock solid once put together. I've had a cockpit from Sim Lab for the past year and have been very happy with it.

The GT1 Evo, https://sim-lab.eu/product/gt1-evo, is within your budget even if you add a decent seat into the mix. Makes sure you check out the two review vids from Barry at Sim Racing Garage you can find at that link. Barry is very thorough and does a good job with all of his reviews.

Just to reiterate, you will be struggling to find anything else that feels quite as solid as aluminium profile at a similar price.

Thanks for this. Looks like a solid piece of kit - will check out a number of reviews and see. Only thing is that it's not currently in stock so I'm not sure what the lead time would be.

I do not have this cockpit but I've heard a lot of good things about it.

K2_2017_1024x1024.jpg

Simetik Cockpit K2
Central Monitor Support
Shifter Support
Handbrake Support
Buttkicker Support

Liking the look of this and the parts that I need are all on there too. Again, will watch some reviews and see what's what.

Pro Simtech is from Portugal. Is Simétek the same company? I don't see a phone number on Simétek's website.

80/20, either SimLab, 4play, Swedish rig. This should be the only rig you want to see. They are not fancy like other cockpit, but 80/20 offers the best and by far rigidity, multiple way to upgrade in the future. If you change wheelbase (even DD), pedals, or seat you won't have any problem in fitting them.

After you try a 80/20 rig, you won't go back to any costum rig.

I have had multiple rig in the past, and if I can back in time, instead to buy all of them I would have buy a 80/20 straight away. At the moment I have the GT (old one) from SimLab with front mounting and the stand for my Samsung 49 ultrawide. I use a Large Mige and HE Ultimates. It has 0 flex (it doesn't move at all, is rock solid. No other rig can achieve this, they either flex on the pedals base plate or because of the DD force they shake.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I’m in the process of deciding what I want, so will be making a purchase in the new year.

80/20, either SimLab, 4play, Swedish rig. This should be the only rig you want to see. They are not fancy like other cockpit, but 80/20 offers the best and by far rigidity, multiple way to upgrade in the future. If you change wheelbase (even DD), pedals, or seat you won't have any problem in fitting them.

After you try a 80/20 rig, you won't go back to any costum rig.

I have had multiple rig in the past, and if I can back in time, instead to buy all of them I would have buy a 80/20 straight away. At the moment I have the GT (old one) from SimLab with front mounting and the stand for my Samsung 49 ultrawide. I use a Large Mige and HE Ultimates. It has 0 flex (it doesn't move at all, is rock solid. No other rig can achieve this, they either flex on the pedals base plate or because of the DD force they shake.

The 80/20 does look very nice and the customisation is appealing. However, the idea of everything being bespoke does worry me slightly cost-wise.

@Tom, why don't you have a go at building your own? Keeps the costs down & you can customise it to your personal liking.

Time is the most crucial factor, in that I don’t really have any. I’d love to give it a go but I don’t possess the knowledge and most on-the-market rigs are suitable for what I’m after!

Tom
Time is the most crucial factor, in that I don’t really have any. I’d love to give it a go but I don’t possess the knowledge and most on-the-market rigs are suitable for what I’m after!
I'm building one and I can give you my dimensions if you want to.

@Tom, why don't you have a go at building your own? Keeps the costs down & you can customise it to your personal liking.

I've just begun.
I work at a steel scrap yard we have miles extruded aluminum that is unfortunately off limits to plunder, but we also have miles of thick gauge steel tubing that is extremely strong and will not dent like extrusion does. The owner said take whatever you want, within reason. So, this weekend I started some rough mock up, decided I really like the matte blue on a rig. This is far from finished but a basic idea of what I'm looking for.
20181230_192025.jpg

20181230_192111.jpg

20181230_192152.jpg

The Bose sound bar works nice tucked away under the deck, finally got the PC off the floor.
Need to finish wire management, seat mounting, fabricate a keyboard tray, mouse deck and any other aesthetic bits such as covering up corner cuts straightening brackets and edgework.
So far it's cost me 2 boxes of 14x3/4 screws about $12.

I recently built my own rig pretty cheaply, $40 for a sheet or 3/4” MDF, $20 for a used Honda seat, an old TV I had sitting in my storage room, 2 hours to cut and build it, hour or so to paint it. Its definitely possible to build something decent on a small budget with little time invested. :)

Great setup!! You may want to put something under you PS4 though, I don’t think it’s good for them to sit on carpet(static and overheating), I’d hate to see something happen to it on you. :)

Ps. How do you like the shifter?

Good idea, it's something I do definitely need to sort out.

Shifter is great, really enjoying it so far. I'll be recording some reviews next week of all three products if I get time!

Tom
Good idea, it's something I do definitely need to sort out.

Shifter is great, really enjoying it so far. I'll be recording some reviews next week of all three products if I get time!

Awesome man! I’m planning to get the shifter at some point soon myself so I look forward to your review of it. :)

Back