SimBins return and future - The Return of GTR (Coming 2018)

What is/are your favorite SimBin/Sector3 title/s?

• GTR - FIA GT Racing Game

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • GT Legends

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • GTR 2 - FIA GT Racing Game

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • RACE - The Official WTCC Game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RACE 07 - The Official WTCC Game (includes all add-ons, such as STCC - The Game, GTR Evolution etc.)

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Volvo - The Game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RaceRoom Racing Experience

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
Denmark
Upside-down in the final corner
rallymorten
SimBin collage.jpg

Small collage of pre-"split" (and arguably the most memorable) SimBin titles, featuring GT Legends, the GTR series and the RACE series.

News Log:

February 5, 2017 - A bunch of NSFW material if you're a fan of racing games

February 1, 2017 - GTR 3 confirmed for 2018 release

October 11, 2016 - SimBin is reborn

Seeing as this doesn't really fit in the RaceRoom section (yet?), I'll just put this here. Should the moderators feel different about this or feel like this should've never been a thread, well, you're the moderators and can do moderator things.

In case you haven't heard yet, SimBin has pulled off the greatest "rising from the grave" by reanimating in the month of Spooktober of 2016. Although there's already been a news article on what's new (including multi-platform games), I'll sum up the history as briefly and yet detailed as I can (and correct a few errors), because it gets a little complicated towards the end:​

• Early 2000s - SimBin starts as modding team for F1 2002 by releasing a 2002 FIA GT mod.
  • 2003 - SimBin is properly formed as a developer. Klaus Wohlfart is CEO, Johan and Henrik Roos (yes, the guy with the red and white Oreca-esque GT-class Viper) as well as someone by the name of Ian Bell are co-founders.
  • 2005 - GTR - FIA GT Racing Game is released, featuring the 2003 FIA GT Championship, including Spa 24 Hours, which, because dynamic daytime transitions wasn't a thing, meant the game had to pause and load the next time of day (four versions, covering morning, afternoon, evening and night)
  • Later in 2005 - The team behind GTR, lead by a certain Ian Bell, establishes Blimey! Games, which becomes the core development team for future SimBin titles, mainly the GTR series.
  • Later in 2005 - GT Legends is released, featuring the FIA Historic Racing Championship for racing cars of the 60's and 70's, including Ford GT40, Lotus Cortina and the Austin Mini.
  • 2006 - GTR 2 - FIA GT Racing Game is released, featuring the 2003 and 2004 FIA GT Championship, featuring dynamic weather and daytime transition on all tracks. Given its features and relatively simple internal system, this has become one of the most popular games to mod, and pretty much every other SimBin title has been converted to GTR 2.
  • Later in 2006 - RACE - The Official WTCC game is released.
  • 2007 - RACE 07 - The Official WTCC game is released. It goes on to tie RaceRoom (as of October 2016) for featuring the largest amount of expansion packs in a SimBin title. GTR Evolution, STCC - The Game and Formula RaceRoom, just to name a few.
  • 2008 - Ian Bell founds Slightly Mad Studios.
  • 2008 - 10Tacle, who published the GTR series, enters insolvency.
  • January, 2009 - As a result of the above, Blimey! Games goes into administration.
  • A few days later - Slighty Mad Studios acquires the business and assets of Blimey! Games. Thus the majority of the GTR development team is now at SMS and goes on to release Need For Speed: Shift that same year, with Shift 2 and Project CARS releasing in later years. We won't focus on them since they no longer carry the SimBin name.
  • 2009 - Volvo - The Game is released as freeware for PC.
  • 2012 - The remaining part of SimBin releases the Free-2-Play title RaceRoom Racing Experience.
  • 2014 - SimBin changes name to Sector3 Studios, due to the SimBin name being contractually tied to the location while the team wanted to move out.
  • 2016 - The name SimBin is apparently no longer tied to a location and is thus reacquired by Sector3 Studios.

Ian Bell plays himself a few times

As mentioned above, the team that developed the GTR series is now the team developing Project CARS and its successor, so a proper GTR sequel seems unlikely. Rebooting the RACE franchise is a possibility, with either the WTCC or TCR championships - but then what? Granted, especially TCR has a lot of regional series and is a popular addition in endurance events such as the Nürburgring 24 Hours, but it's still only one category of cars, and that probably wouldn't last long in the modern world of games.

What seems most likely then is continued development of R3E (which, as described above, they do still own) or a successor, either as a F2P or "bundle-game". Maybe a RaceRoom bundle?

Either way, I'll be following this with the greatest interest. I don't remember when I got it, but the GTR series (particularly GTR 2) has been to my teens what Gran Turismo 2 and Need For Speed 3 was to my childhood, to the point where I can't remember life without it being installed. I do feel like it's too much of a coincidence that GTR 2 had it's 10th anniversary just last week..

Last edited:
Sector 3 obviously have a whole bunch of licenses still pending implementation in Raceroom, and that title has been going from strength to strength with improvements to graphics, track quality, FFB/physics, and all those content additions. Of course, it's also expensive (I've paid more for my Raceroom content than I've spent on AC+all DLC or pCARS+all DLC).

They also teased Raceroom content ported to the Unreal 4 graphics engine at some point earlier in the year.

Some part of me hopes that the Simbin name will be used to release a full Blancpain or WEC licensed "GTR 2 successor" (all cars and tracks) built on the Unreal 4 engine with evolutions of the Raceroom physics and FFB. That would be an instant buy.

Alternatively an equally modernized GT Legends successor (especially if they add Goodwood revival) would be just as awesome, and fill a big gap in the market.

I'd be quite fine with an unreal engine console port of race room. DTM, WTCC, GT Masters etc. Good range of legendary cars and some lesser known cars and good fictional racers with a decent selection of tracks and good online modes.

I'd love to see just RaceRoom's cars and tracks (including DTM Experience & ADAC GT Masters) in a full release. I'd also love to see a championship creator and maybe include some championships based on real series.

ADAC GT Masters 2015
Oschersleben
Red Bull Ring
Spa-Francorchamps
Eurospeedway
Nurburgring GP
Sachsenring
Zandvoort
Hockenheimring

Audi TT Cup
Hockenheimring
Norisring
Red Bull Ring
Oschersleben
Nurburgring GP
Hockenheimring

Aquila CR1 Cup
Hockenheimring
RaceRoom Raceway
Zolder
Nurburgring GP
Spa-Francorchamps

DTM 1992
Zolder
Nurburgring GP
Hockenheimring
Nordschleife
Norisring
Nurburgring GP
Hockenheimring

DTM 2015
Hockenheimring
Eurospeedway
Norisring
Zandvoort
Red Bull Ring
Moscow Raceway
Oschersleben
Nurburgring GP
Hockenheimring

Formula 4
Oschersleben
Red Bull Ring
Spa-Francorchamps
Eurospeedway
Nurburgring GP
Sachsenring
Oschersleben
Hockenheimring

Formula RaceRoom 2
Red Bull Ring
Hungaroring
Spa-Francorchamps
Monza
Moscow Raceway

Formula RaceRoom Junior
Nurburgring GP
Oschersleben
Hockenheimring
Eurospeedway
Zolder

German GT
Hockenheimring
Nurburgring GP
Oschersleben
Eurospeedway
Norisring
Red Bull Ring

Group 5
Zolder
Nurburgring GP
Hockenheimring
Nordschleife
Spa-Francorchamps
Norisring
Salzburgring
Zolder
Hockenheimring
Nurburgring GP

Group A
Monza
Nurburgring GP
Spa-Francorchamps
Moscow Raceway
Brands Hatch
Bathurst
Suzuka

GT1
Zolder
Slovakiaring
Hockenheimring
Moscow Raceway
Nurburgring GP
Brands Hatch

GT2
Zolder
Zandvoort
Slovakiaring
Hockenheimring
Brands Hatch

GT3
Zolder
Moscow Raceway
Nurburgring GP
Slovakiaring
Brands Hatch

GTX
Nurburgring GP
Brands Hatch
Spa-Francorchamps
Suzuka
Laguna Seca

Hillclimb Icons
RaceRoom Hillclimb
Lakeview Hillclimb

IMSA GTO
Indianapolis
Laguna Seca
Mid Ohio
Sonoma

M1 Procar
Brands Hatch
Nurburgring GP
Norisring
Hockenheimring
Zandvoort
Monza

NSU TTS Cup
Zandvoort
Oschersleben
Hockenheimring
Brands Hatch

Prototype 1
Paul Ricard
Spa-Francorchamps
Red Bull Ring
Indianapolis
Suzuka
Portimao

Prototype 2
Indianapolis
Spa-Francorchamps
Paul Ricard
Monza
Shanghai

Silhouette Series
Shanghai
RaceRoom Raceway
Monza
Salzburgring
Moscow Raceway
Red Bull Ring
Macau

WTCC 2015
Hungaroring
Nordschleife
Moscow Raceway
Slovakiaring
Paul Ricard
Suzuka
Shanghai

So the GTR series is officially back, with all the gloriness you'd expect from it:
  • Full day-night transition
  • Fully dynamic weather system which apparently simulates puddles as well
  • Damage improved over R3E
  • Improved visuals
..and lastly, but in my eyes most importantly, it'll apparently be a simulator that works for casual players as well, and I can't think of the last time that was the case (I'm kidding, RACE 07. At least of what I've tried. You could argue GT and FM fits in there somewhere too). Hopefully that means it'll be along the lines of the old SimBin titles, where being an idiot on the throttle would send you towards the wall, but saving it was a genuine possibility and thus you never really felt like you were screwed over by the game.

In other aspects, I just hope it's not too set on limiting modability by hiding the files in the darkest corners of your hard drive in a format only three people in the world can make. Say what you want about mods, but most of them are really great, adds tons of hours to a games lifetime and is one of the main reasons games like rFactor, NR2003 and GTR 2 continue to be as popular as they are. Notable mentions include EEC GT3 and SCC Prototypes.

If it does all that, I'm game. More than for any other game set to release at any point in the next two years.

Back