single, dual, triple -> Monitor's and TV's (LED, LCD...TN, IPS and etc.)

hi all, since there is not much discussion about TV and Monitor setup's in Sim Racing generally and everyone has different setup's, i would like to get this thread going, for the sake of comparisons, experience and know-how from everyone, and how they feel their setup works for them. sharing is great for all the community to benefit from. i have just start my sim racing journey, and will share every bit, since i am already communication with members and learning on the threads.

hope this helps everyone!

here couple of my questions I had:
I currently have 1x 40" Samsung LED Smart TV, UN40H6350AFXZA, 120hz refresh rate native, 1080p (1920x1080) - not tested yet, still building PC, hope to start testing this week.

if anyone had the choice, for monitor setup, 3x triple setup, what/ which monitor would you choose:
  1. IIYAMA ProLite GB2773HS Gaming - 3x 27"
  2. BenQ XL2730Z Pro Gaming - 3x 27"
  3. ASUS PB279Q 4K Gaming Monitor - 3x 27"
  4. ASUS PB287Q True 4K Gaming Monitor 3x 28"
this is in theory and if $$$ was available for spending on these kind of monitors...just curious what you guys would pick out of these 4x options.

here a link i found interesting to read:
http://www.tnpanel.com/tn-vs-ips-va/

reply and feedback from/ by: @TGR_Kefran --
I upgraded recently my screens so I can share my personal findings.
- I decided to avoid 4K and 1440p monitors as I found it unrealistic in a 3 screen set-up. Keping a stable 60 Hz frame rate at 3*1080p is already quite demanding even with high end GPU.
- In the same manner 120/144Hz cannot hurt but you have to know that you won't often benefit from it (especially 3*1440/144hz).
- Assuming you select gaming screens with already good input lag and reactivity, the most important criteria will become the bezels size. Having really thin bezels in a multi-monitor set-up can be more valuable than impressive contrast or view angles. For example, I had a chance to test a configuration with 3 Dell U2414H: It is brillant.

So the BenQ is 1440p, the 2 ASUS are both 4K, that leaves the IIYAMA in 1080p: it is a very good screen (with the fancy 144 Hz feature) but I think you would regret the large bezels.... So to make it short I would not buy any of these configurations !

I agree, big big bucks for 4K triples. Best plan would be finding 1080p 60hz or better monitors with the smallest possible bezels.
I was in this same position only recently and weighting everything up I got three BENQ GW2760s. Great for sim-racing imo the bezel is 10/11mm best I could find. Some one will now probably point out smaller ones lol

This was a day spent with Mr latte doing some tactile and rig testing.

Sorry for not getting back to you via PM I've been really really busy with real life lately lol.
Mr Latte is the tactile expert anyway, he infected me with the tactile bug lol

On 4K - is it fair to say, if a bluray movie doesn't look pixelated/jaggy on a 1080p screen at a given viewing distance but a game does - that it's the game's/pc's issue? Surely when 1080p is enough for video, it's also enough for a game, or am I missing something? People seem to want their high numbers though.

I run 3 x 42 inch screens and my eyes are just over a metre away from each of them, with a 45 degree angle give or take for the laterals. The horizontal plane works well, but vertically I need to adjust. At the moment with a correct perspective I'm seeing way too much boring car roof and not enough of the more interesting dials, carbon fibres, cloths, and woods of the cars' interiors. @Carson79 Is that the FOV that you usually use? Looks very back seat driver. I'd recommend closing the distance between you and the screens, and maybe increasing the angle a bit. Not sure if the video is deceptive though.

I remember laughing at the setup in the video below. Check out the giant car at 10:26 and at other various times.

holy *********** ******* ********????? what settings is he playing on???? why is it like a giants car compared to him LOOL had not noticed that at all!! wow:boggled::boggled::boggled::lol::odd::drool:that is just so unrealistic!! i am all for budget and what makes sense for Sim Racing, 120hz, 144hz, 1080p,not much into the 4k stuff, also can be 24" to 32" inches sized maximum, but I would want something with minimal bezel and nice setup, field of view, so one has realistic feel of racing the vehicle. i have read and seen reviews, where they talk about moving screens closer to the wheel, a lot closer actually.

there are some reviews, of people who have triple 55" or 60" and they say it is the best for them and they don't go back to anything else. that's why i started this thread and wanted to get feedback, info, experience, know-how and etc. to give back to the GT community, especially because there is a lot of newcomers to this genre/ field.

Not sure if it is the case or the potential of your PC or requires Display Port?
If high-end or mid-range graphics cards are capable of running 3x1080p @ 120Hz (even 144Hz) with "P'Cars" and "A Corsa" that might be something to consider?

3x 1080p 60Hz Comparisons:
3x 4k 60Hz = 12x 1080p processing power
3x 1080p @ 120Hz = 6x 1080p processing power

* Note some 27" models are higher than 1080p resolution require even more processing power

If this is the case in GFX hardware terms then having the extra smoothness of 120Hz would be a nice bonus in a display. Consideration worthy perhaps regards frame-rate over size as the extra money could be closer to the price point of 3x 40"+ Tvs on reduced models.

High Performance & High Value
Is 120+ Hz and Gsync currently worth 2x or 3x of a typically good 27" 60Hz 1080p model?
This will depend on the buyer/user...
The Predator does seem a good choice, though check out this one with G-SYNC and 27" but more affordable with it's 1080p resolution.
Acer Predator XB270HA 27

Value for money..
Seems to be plenty of good 1080p 60Hz screens available these days and as Carson points out with small borders.

VR Consideration
Will you want VR and do you see yourself using it more than monitors in the future?

rocafella1978
Possibly you could buy 2x Tvs if they support a good "GAME MODE" for fast Millisecond Response Time? Although depends if their price is valid to other options...

Perhaps fault in looking but was glancing over manual/specs and seen no reference to 120Hz support for your TV @ 1080p. HDMI technically upto 1.4a (IIRC) only supports 120Hz with 720p 2D. Also checked to see if DVI input supported 120Hz but found no reference to it that I seen. The manual states TV has motion-flow of 240Hz? This is only internal processing and not an input supported frame-rate though.

*Lemans
Carsons FOV was adjusted more for me at the time with casual playing. FOV may not be good but the craik was, lol. Although it wasn't too far out from what should be comfortable. It was being recorded on my phone sitting right next to the left monitor, possibly that is part of the reason it may look worse than it was...

Last edited:
Other alternative a single 34" Curved 21:9 (60Hz No GSync)

Samsung 34-Inch Curved Screen LED-Lit Monitor S34E790C
LG 34UC87-P 34" WideScreen Super-Wide Curved LED Monitor

Increased FOV for most of cockpt avoiding split borders with additional monitors.

valuable input from great support, while I am searching for my monitors/ what to get and what to choose to be able to run with my single (1x) Nvidia Titan X or 2-WAY SLI Titan X's.

I do have the slight feeling, getting the right triple monitor setup will be more difficult than I thought....

Arma 3 does take quite a bit GPU power... how much is the "Ultra quality Preset" ? according to Tom's Hardware the old Titan managed to get about 40 FPS.

geforce-gtx-780-ti-review-performance-arma-frot-25,4-M-408406-22.png

The new Titan X is about 40% more Powerfull, Looking at the Crysis 3 Benchmark from Anandtech:

72486.png

(and yet even there you can't use the 144hz of your Monitor to the fullest on high quality settings)

to run 3 Monitors you would need about 2.3-2.8x the Power of this.

If you intend to use the Monitor on ULBM mode with 85Hz that might work on Low to Medium settings on most new games.

Here you can see Project Cars in UHD TripleWide on 60Hz with 4x Titan GPU's
http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/artic ... 3-monitors

On a Single 1440p Monitor with a Titan X this one here seems to reach about 50 FPS, but i guess the settings are all cranked up.

Here is a pretty good review about 4k Surround, You can assume that you will get about 40-70% Better Performance with a 1440p triplewide setup.
http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/76 ... index.html

So if you wan't to play in High settings you'd better think about SLI with 2 or 3 of these cards, if you're OK with lowering settings all the way down then a Single Titan X could might have enough performance. 144hz will probably still be out of reach for new games.

If you want high FPS and Triplemonitor you'd better keep an eye out for FullHD Monitors.

other configurations I am considering:

Option (1)
Center Screen: Acer XB270H Abprz UM.HB0AA.A01, 27" Full HD (1920 x 1080), 16:9, DisplayPort, 144hz, G-Sync
Left and Right Screens: Acer XB270H Abprz UM.HB0AA.A01, 27" Full HD (1920 x 1080), 16:9, DisplayPort, 144hz, G-Sync

Option (2) - would NV Surround still work if resolutions are different?
Center Screen: Acer XB270HU bprz UM.HB0AA.001, 27" WQHD (2560 x 1440), 16:9, DisplayPort, 144hz, G-Sync
Left and Right Screens: Acer XB270H Abprz UM.HB0AA.A01, 27" Full HD (1920 x 1080), 16:9, DisplayPort, 144hz, G-Sync

Option (3)
all 3x screens: Acer XB240H Abpr UM.FB0AA.A01, 24" Full HD (1920 x 1080), 16:9, DisplayPort, 144hz, G-Sync

Other alternative a single 34" Curved 21:9 (60Hz No GSync)

Samsung 34-Inch Curved Screen LED-Lit Monitor S34E790C
LG 34UC87-P 34" WideScreen Super-Wide Curved LED Monitor

Increased FOV for most of cockpt avoiding split borders with additional monitors.

these would be for single screen setup only?

these would be for single screen setup only?

Yes as the resolution is sharper than a 1080p screen but under the performance requirements of triple 1080p. So framerate will be higher. Not sure if you would also be wanting to play FPS games but a 21:9 is looking to be the new optimum experience avoiding some of the issues of triples FPS games have.

The gaming market does seem to be leaning towards Ultrawide UHD 1440p as better than 16:9 4K
Sim market is a bit different...

34" 21:9 Pros
You wont have the stretching effect found on the outer monitors that triples have but still benefit from a wide aspect and no borders. The last 1/2 of the L/R screens for a triple display can look stretched and while adding to the immersion not an area of screen you will focus much on. Looks at best with cars alongside and helps to heighten speed sensation. i'd recommend to see if you can find opinions from users that have experienced both...

The Samsung 34" is a high quality PVA display with no light bleed, higher quality blacks and richer quality colours than TN panels. So does the quality of this area you will focus on for you become more important than triple 1080p immersion/size.

It is a hard call Peter...
Looks like 120Hz is out for the most part with triples and really I would suggest you consider carefully before going down the SLI route because it costs so much and you could put that money into other sim hardware...

Worth watching...

Last edited:
yes i know, so many optiona so many monitors, and so few with thin bezels, seems all gaming ones have thicker bezels, and monitors not aimed at gaming have the bezels we are looking for. ar the end of day i think, whatever one likes and picks as long as is in his/ her budget, of course if pockets are deeeeep then $$$$ any monitor is possible, or TV for that matter, like NEC stuff which is borderless or almost no bezels ar all.

at this point, here is my summary I think...

as for G-Sync: is this list up to date in regards to which monitors support G-Sync technology?
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync/where-to-buy-g-sync-monitors-and-modules --- only 6x monitors on the market?

i am just wondering and the only main reason holding me up, and can't get my head wrapped around, if i want to go with:
3x 1920x1080 (Full HD) G-Sync (like: Acer 27 " XB270H Abprz or Philips 27" 272G5DYEB) -or-
3x 2560x1440 (WQHD) G-Sync (like: Asus 27" ROG SWIFT PG278Q or 27" Acer XB270HU bprz) -or-
3x 3840 x 2160 (4K UHD) G-Sync (like: Acer 28" XB280HK bprz) --- but here i am really concerned about triple setup and my single (1x) Nvidia GTX Titan X being able to handle all 3x displays while playing a Racing Simulator Game or Flight Simulator Game, not to mention a FPS (First Person Shooter) game. unless I really think about adding another Nvidia GTX Titan X to run with/ in 2-WAY SLI Bridge.

I think what I know is that I do want to make sure I get a monitor/ or get monitors with G-Sync Technology for sure. rest...need some professional help, suggestions, recommendations and tech know-how to make sure my system/ PC especially my current single GPU can handle the top (2) options, and last option with 4K UHD, not so sure myself, that i am ready to go that route even.

thanks to you all for your help in advance.

Its that time of year with lots of new summer models due...
sent you PM on ACER XR341CKA

Cough:

Just announced full specs not yet released...

BenQ XR3501 35" 21:9 2560x1080 Curved @144Hz
http://orwww2.benq.com/news/4396/1

yMuQsB1.jpg

Basically a 1080p Ultrawide 21:9 with a 2000R curvature designed with multi screen and for racing sim fans in mind (aparently).

Last edited:
Its that time of year with lots of new summer models due...
sent you PM on ACER XR341CKA

Cough:

Just announced full specs not yet released...

BenQ XR3501 35" 21:9 2560x1080 Curved @144Hz
http://orwww2.benq.com/news/4396/1

yMuQsB1.jpg

Basically a 1080p Ultrawide 21:9 with a 2000R curvature designed with multi screen and for racing sim fans in mind (aparently).

Seems promising
35"
Curved
21/9
144 Hz

On paper, it is a very good choice... and easier to manage for our computers than triple screens or 1440p 21/9.

Keep an eye out for Computex June 2015 more info and maybe prices to be released...
Acer also have a new 21:9 coming apparently based on the same panel as the BenQ.

GSYNC 144Hz Confirmed!

ACER PREDATOR Z35

Comparison to the higher resolution 75HZ 34" Model
Notice how shallow the curve is compared to the 2000R 35" models.

RgelLyV.jpg

786VXFy.jpg

Last edited:
Keep an eye out for Computex June 2015 more info and maybe prices to be released...
Acer also have a new 21:9 coming apparently based on the same panel as the BenQ.

GSYNC 144Hz Confirmed!

ACER PREDATOR Z35

Comparison to the higher resolution 75HZ 34" Model
Notice how shallow the curve is compared to the 2000R 35" models.

RgelLyV.jpg

786VXFy.jpg

love it! yes, might be worth all the wait then :)

Just wanted to say a big thankyou to everyone who contributed to this thread and @Mr Latte in particular.

I used to run a triple 1080p setup but swapped to a 40" 1080p TV a while ago as my PC, PS4 and Xbone needed to be connected to it. But with the arrival of PCars I got the bug for a wider setup again. I came across this thread and my head was turned by Mr Latte's recommendation of a 21:9 monitor.

It arrived today, a Samsung LS34E790C 34" 3440 x 1440 Curved LED Monitor.

7A89F512-AC91-4B85-8431-661D4C357736.jpg

It's fantastic and creates such an immersive experience. I'd forgotten how much difference the extra width makes. And I really don't miss the extra height a 16:9 screen gives. I was a little worried it would be a bit of a let down compared to a triple screen set up but it really isn't. Once your into a racing game the sides of the monitor just disappear and the game fills your vision. And it makes PCars look absolutely stunning. If you are looking to take the next step in your sim racing hobby and are a little worried about going triple screen I can highly recommend 21:9!

Nice. Looks like you're plenty close to the screen too, which works on two levels - immersion, and being able to use correct FOV without it being equivalent to postage stamp sized view.

So, is it defensive drivers that value width?

goat-eye.jpg

..... and aggressive drivers that value height?

cat-eye-closeup.jpg

.... hehe.

Just wanted to say a big thankyou to everyone who contributed to this thread and @Mr Latte in particular.

I used to run a triple 1080p setup but swapped to a 40" 1080p TV a while ago as my PC, PS4 and Xbone needed to be connected to it. But with the arrival of PCars I got the bug for a wider setup again. I came across this thread and my head was turned by Mr Latte's recommendation of a 21:9 monitor.

It arrived today, a Samsung LS34E790C 34" 3440 x 1440 Curved LED Monitor.

7A89F512-AC91-4B85-8431-661D4C357736.jpg

It's fantastic and creates such an immersive experience. I'd forgotten how much difference the extra width makes. And I really don't miss the extra height a 16:9 screen gives. I was a little worried it would be a bit of a let down compared to a triple screen set up but it really isn't. Once your into a racing game the sides of the monitor just disappear and the game fills your vision. And it makes PCars look absolutely stunning. If you are looking to take the next step in your sim racing hobby and are a little worried about going triple screen I can highly recommend 21:9!
Bravo. I bought a 29" ultrawide without the curve to hold me over until one comes out at 1440p/144hz and has an expansive adaptive sync range. Looks great!

Sorry for late response, that looks rather sweet...
By all means now that you've had it a while can you comment more on your thoughts on effect with games and the curve also?

1080p 16:9 Curved Options
Samsung curved monitor range in 16:9 models are available in 24, 27 & 31.5" at $600 / £450

However I noticed their 2015 Curved 6300 TV (from 32") is actually cheaper than the 31.5" Monitor @ £390
See Here

rocafella1978 any updates with you?

So thought I'd resurrect this old thread with some new info. Although the 21:9 monitor was a big improvement over a 16.9 screen it just wasn't doing it for me. So I decided to go back to triples but do it properly this time. Decided on 3 x 40" 1080p tv's to give enough screen real estate to have the correct FOV for a 1:1 in car view.

The major problem to get round was a sturdy enough mount to hold them securely. Searching the interwebz I found this Triple monitor mount (21) - SIM-LAB made from aluminium profile, it's strong, light and once together rock solid. I hope to post a review of the triple screen mount soon. Finally got it all set up this weekend and it's awesome, so immersive and really adds to the experience. Couple of pics.

A9B26C6A-327C-4D83-8475-54CEF62D2257.jpg

59A1CCFD-C774-42EC-871D-6A1652F02601.jpg

Took them with the pano function on my phone so they are a bit distorted and don't really do it justice. So here's a quick vid to show my viewpoint.

Latest Posts

Back