Single monitor setup

• Thread starter Sprocket
  • 10 comments
Denmark
Denmark
MortenCR
I'm trying to choose a new monitor and monitor stand for my rSeat RS1. I'm thinking a Obutto monitor stand might be the most cost-effective stand, but I want a really good monitor. What do you guys think about a 34" ips 60hz, 21:9, 3440x1440p monitor? Or what about a 27"/28" 144hz, 1440p monitor? (maybe even G-Sync).

I'm trying to choose a new monitor and monitor stand for my rSeat RS1. I'm thinking a Obutto monitor stand might be the most cost-effective stand, but I want a really good monitor. What do you guys think about a 34" ips 60hz, 21:9, 3440x1440p monitor? Or what about a 27"/28" 144hz, 1440p monitor? (maybe even G-Sync).
I can highly recommend a 21:9 monitor. The extra width really makes a difference and you're not trying to push as many pixels as a triple 1080p setup so is less taxing on your rig. I also run an asus 27" 1440p gsync monitor on my desktop and the gsunc technology is rather good. Silky smooth.

If I had to choose between the two for a pure sim racing rig I'd go with the 21:9 monitor everytime. That extra screen real estate really makes a difference. Any more questions just ask.

Really liked your combo @PzR Slim.
With triples most of the time for me anyways it seemed the first @ 1/3 of the L/R screens is what I used most. Helping for corner entry and seeing more of the apex on approach etc.

The 21:9 isn't far from that all in one screen when you do the math.

Last edited:
I've looked through a lot of Youtube reviews of 21:9 monitors. They all seem to agree that 21:9 is awesome.

Do you really notice a difference in sim racing, if you get G-Sync and 144hz? Or is that stuff only usefull for the FPS crowd?

Really liked your combo @PzR Slim.
With triples most of the time for me anyways it seemed the first @ 1/3 of the L/R screens is what I used most. Helping for corner entry and seeing more of the apex on approach etc.

The 21:9 isn't far from that all in one screen when you do the math.
Just remember that because those sections you "use" of the triple screen set up aren't angled using a single wide monitor, you won't be getting the same view. Instead of seeing the apex you may just be seeing more of the dash board. I haven't experienced one, though. I think besides seeing what you need to see, the benefit of the triples is the immersion and sense of speed.

If you go the 21:9 route, choose the largest one you can afford. If your GPU can cope with 3440x1440 the use that.

For 21:9 I'm looking at a Dell 34" ultrasharp u3415w, an AOC 34" led u3477pqu and maybe the Acer 34" predator xr341ck, if Black Friday pushes the price down to realistic levels. Otherwise we're talking the usual 16:9 27" 144hz 2560x1440p contenders, Asus Rog G-Sync, Acer Predator etc. The 34" Dell can be overclocked to 75hz, so that looks like the 21:9 option to go for. My system is a brand new Intel i7 6700K with a GTX 980ti and 16gb ram.

Decision time! Acer XR341ck 34" Ultrawide 75hz, 21:9, 3440x1440p Freesync or the smaller Asus PG279Q Rog Swift 27" 165hz 16:9 G-Sync. What do you guys think?

I can't really make up my mind. I don't have cash for the Acer X34 G-Sync unfortunately.

Agree with some others that 34" offers a much better impression over 27". No doubt you will want the monitor close but it will be further away from you on a cockpit than when using on a desk for FPS typical scenarios.

Only other consideration I would suggest but depends on your level of patience. CES 2016 is just around the corner and will be highlighting what will be coming next year, their might be something coming worth waiting on.

Race games >> 21:9 (which is actually 43:18) definitely.

Non race games >> 16:9 suffice.

Why not a Wasabi Mango 40 inch gaming monitor. The new Wasabi Mango 40 inch gaming monitor is going to have G-sync in the very near future.

Back