Skyline GTRs, and their downforce...

• Thread starter twitcher
  • 3 comments
Canada
Canada
I've recently been tuning some cars for doing top speed runs on SSR7, and discovered that there are a few cars in the game which have downforce that cannot be removed. Removing the stock rear wing has no effect. This puzzles me quite a bit...

The Nissan GTR Black Edition has 20 front and 20 rear downforce. Here, not being able to remove it is understandable, as the car was designed so that the underside generates downforce.

The R34 GTR, when the wing is equipped, has rear downforce ranging from 30 to 80. If you remove the wing, it is fixed at 30. Again, I can see this making some sense, as iirc, the R34 GTRs came stock with a rear defuser.

The R33 GTR is the exact same as the R34, in that it has 30-80 rear downforce with the wing, fixed 30 without.

Here's where I get confused. Did the R33 come with any sort of downforce inducing goodies (other than the wing) like a diffuser or something? If memory serves, it did not.

The R32 GTR comes with an unadjustable 20 downforce in the rear, which remains even if you remove the "wing". I'm almost positive there are no downforce inducing aero parts on a stock R32 GTR, other than maybe that "wing"....which is irrelevant, as the downforce remains even if the wing is removed.

--------
Edit 2: just did a little double checking in game. The 1989 R32 GTR has 20 rear downforce (but you can't remove the wing...another "oops"). The 1989 R32 GTS-t Type M (which did not come with the GTR wing) has 0 downforce. So, unless the '94 GTR V spec II has a secret rear defuser that I'm unaware of, I really don't see where that 20 downforce is coming from after the wing is removed.

---------

Then, there's the Mazda RX7 Spirit R. This beast can generate a wopping 200 rear downforce with the stock "wing"....yet it can be fully removed by taking the wing off.

So I guess my question is, is the permanent downforce on the GTRs accurate, or realistic??

Or, is this another attempt at "balancing" by PD, seeing as the permanent downforce is also a permanent increase in PP. This results in having to run lower HP / higher weight to meet PP levels. It also nerfs these cars in terms of their top speeds (not a huge deal except on tracks like SSR7, La Sarthe...maybe Bathurst)

Or, is it just another "oops"...

Edit:

One more question, are there any other cars in the game that have odd downforce adjustments like these?

Last edited:
In GT5 and probably GT4 downforce was a function of the "chassis" rather than the body or any aerodynamics added (as opposed to being coded with the body as in GT3 and earlier). Adding a spoiler simply added downforce on top of the default numbers, even if it replaced stock aerodynamics rather than adding to them. PD likely just forgot to correct that calculation for every car despite adding the option to remove spoilers.

In GT5 and probably GT4 downforce was a function of the "chassis" rather than the body or any aerodynamics added (as opposed to being coded with the body as in GT3 and earlier). Adding a spoiler simply added downforce on top of the default numbers, even if it replaced stock aerodynamics rather than adding to them. PD likely just forgot to correct that calculation for every car despite adding the option to remove spoilers.

Forgetting to remove it would be my number one guess too. I just completely fail to understand how you get it with most cars, but miss a few here and there....it's not as though they're hunting for Easter Eggs or something?

But then again, the number of cars for which they "forgot" to add an option to remove the rear wing is quite surprising as well.

Ok, and here's another one. Why does the Lexus ISF have 30 rear downforce? I know several companies make aftermarket diffusers for the ISF, but it didn't come with any sort of downforce from the factory, did it?

My guess is some of these numbers are used for balancing. I remember some of the GTRs have stock center diff set to 0/150 or some such. Since they were "hidden" values before it's possible that they were not addressed now that we can see all the settings all the time.

Latest Posts

Back