Skyscraper on fire in Dubai

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 81 comments
%D0%B2%D1%81%D0%B5-%D0%BF%D0%BB%D0%BE%D1%85%D0%BE-%D0%BD%D0%B5%D0%B1%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%BA%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%B1-%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%B6%D0%B0%D1%80-%D0%B4%D1%83%D0%B1%D0%B0%D0%B9-2095872.jpeg

What I don't understand is why is the fire spreading up and down the skyscraper so quickly in the two buildings covered in this thread?

When the John Hancock tower in Chicago caught fire, it stayed relatively confined.
View attachment 497079

Also, both trade towers after planes flew into them did not have fires that spread through the whole building.
View attachment 497084

Is it different materials, safety standards, inefficient fire extinguishing systems?
Probably all of the above.

What I don't understand is why is the fire spreading up and down the skyscraper so quickly in the two buildings covered in this thread?

When the John Hancock tower in Chicago caught fire, it stayed relatively confined.
View attachment 497079

Also, both trade towers after planes flew into them did not have fires that spread through the whole building.
View attachment 497084

Is it different materials, safety standards, inefficient fire extinguishing systems?

Yeah crazy, a fire that can melt steel & brings down the building vs a fire that goes all the way up, but doesn't seem to harm the structure. Conspiracy time! :D

Yeah crazy, a fire that can melt steel & brings down the building vs a fire that goes all the way up, but doesn't seem to harm the structure. Conspiracy time! :D
Didn't the say that all the aluminum in the planes created a much hotter fire?
I'm not a chemist but I know a fire in combination with aluminum powder gets much much hotter than an ordinary fire. It would be even worse with magnesium.

Didn't the say that all the aluminum in the planes created a much hotter fire?
I'm not a chemist but I know a fire in combination with aluminum powder gets much much hotter than an ordinary fire. It would be even worse with magnesium.

I don't think my views on 9/11 are much appreciated over here, but World Trade 7 is maybe a better example.

If you're in the "controlled demolition" camp then yes, the conspiracy theories are bollocks. Even for WTC 7.

I'm not in one "camp", I just have great difficulty believing it just happened like we are presented it went.

Spend some time in engineering, forums aren't always a great place for scientific discussion :D

A guy who runs a demolition company here in the Netherlands was on national tv, they showed him WT7 and you can guess what he had to say about it. But you're right, it's not a great place to discuss these things on the www because you always have that one person who just tries to make smart comments without content.

;)

Yeah crazy, a fire that can melt steel & brings down the building* vs a fire that goes all the way up, but doesn't seem to harm the structure. Conspiracy time! :D

Caused by a jumbo jet full of fuel flying into the side of said building at 500mph. You know, just a small detail you missed out.

Oh and I don't know if you're just reciting a popular meme but weakened, not melted.

Caused by a jumbo jet full of fuel flying into the side of said building at 500mph. You know, just a small detail you missed out.

Oh and I don't know if you're just reciting a popular meme but weakened, not melted.

Oh sorry, I didn't knew a plane went into the WT7 too.

A guy who runs a demolition company here in the Netherlands was on national tv, they showed him WT7 and you can guess what he had to say about it. But you're right, it's not a great place to discuss these things on the www because you always have that one person who just tries to make smart comments without content.

;)

You mean Jowenko? He died in a car accident in 2011

I regret even mentioning the towers in my post, because this thread has derailed into a 9/11 collapse debate. Therefore I apologize.

A guy who runs a demolition company here in the Netherlands was on national tv, they showed him WT7 and you can guess what he had to say about it.

A friend of mine runs a very successful cooker company, he can't cook. You can guess etc. etc.

If indeed you do mean Jowenko then he made a critical error when he said that the building had no externally visible damage - it certainly did.

I regret even mentioning the towers in my post, because this thread has derailed into a 9/11 collapse debate. Therefore I apologize.

Not your fault, I guess that 9/11 will be mentioned for years to come when discussing high-rise fires/collapses/accidents/government-demolitions :D

We didn't start the fire...It was always burning since the world's been turning.

We didn't start the fire...No, we didn't light it, but we tried to fight it...

I think this is blowback on a design system used commonly in basically all Dubai/Abu Dhabi Buildings, they are completely based on concrete construction so they shouldn't collapse but it's likely something with the exterior frame which is easily flammable.

It's happened in Dubai AGAIN! There seems to be something about the holiday season that starts fires there...

This time it's in a 28 storey apartment block on the Palm Jumeirah island. No one was injured.

3B50FFB500000578-4026470-image-a-4_1481574183512.jpg

3B517D0E00000578-4026470-image-a-16_1481580594317.jpg

I think it's an unspoken tradition or something.

Or are the building lined with some sort of oil based stuff?

It's obvious that they don't have safety standards like the rest of the world, every single fire looks exactly the same so it's most probably the same issue with all the buildings.

There is not much a sprinkler can do when it is the facade of the building that is on fire.

They are surrounded by sand, seems like the exterior would be made of concrete.

A lot of these buildings went up super quick during the boom years in Dubai (mid-late 00's) and I think that things might have been rushed. Being coastal doesn't help as the wind will fan any fire up real quickly.

The government should also maybe consider doing some public service announcements on good practices to prevent fires in apartments. They don't want to become known for incidents like this.

I know this is just speculation but it could be a electrical based fire, and the lines that are used for the buildings go down the building on a certain side, which is why every fire looks identical.

It's happened in Dubai AGAIN! There seems to be something about the holiday season that starts fires there...
I know this is just speculation but it could be a electrical based fire, and the lines that are used for the buildings go down the building on a certain side, which is why every fire looks identical.
This is probably crass of me to say, but I wonder if it might be down to the extra power demands from ex-pats' Christmas decorations on the power supplies in the two buildings discussed in this thread.

Back