Bug shield is on but needs to be moved back sits too far forward and looks goofy. New cab lights arrived; we painted the roof but the humidity made the clear coat cloud something fierce so it'll need it again. All that's left to paint is the hodo, gate and a pillars of the cab. The hood and gate will probably go to a paint shop. Just is easier that way. All that's really left is getting the fuel system fixed, and putting the running boards on. This is just about exactly minus the slight body lift, how I remember it when I was 5-6.
Freshly inspected. Dad's taking it to work in the morning for the first time since 2007. The last time it drove anywhere that wasn't a test drive was 2010.
Looking good, your truck actually inspired me to get a bed mounted light bar for my Tacoma. Hopefully, it's here next week and I can hook up some KC's to it.
Looking good, your truck actually inspired me to get a bed mounted light bar for my Tacoma. Hopefully, it's here next week and I can hook up some KC's to it.
Rode in it for the first time the other night. She is a dog. The secondaries are not opening on the carburetor so it's running out of fuel at high rpm and struggles to get to and maintain 55mph. It'll do it but takes a lot longer to get there than it should. Flat out wide open it feels like it has less horsepower than my 300 straight 6. So that will need some work but it's getting there. Got the running boards out of storage as well, got some of the rust off the old pushbar and painted the a pillars which is why the windshield chrome is half off. But it drives!! The ride I waited 10 years or more for has finally happened. Got a couple short vids but nothing really good, they were just snap chat stories.
Here she sits. Minus paint and a slight body lift. This is exactly, to a T, how she sat when I was a young boy. This is the machine that made me a Ford man. This is the machine that made such an impression on me it set my views on life. This machine scarred into my head that I needed to bleed Ford blue. This is THE machine. The one I always remembered when I was 6 years old.
God, it's bittersweet. Part of my childhood has been rebirthed.
Yes it needs paint. Yes it needs engine and brake work. But it doesn't matter. The fact it runs and drives and is visually exactly the same down to the tires as it was when I was young is amazing. All I can remember when I look at it is that old car carbureted and hot engine smell and smacking my head off the back window when he "put it to the wood" as he says.
Took this a few weeks ago. The muffler have broken in well. It needs a manifold collector gasket in the worst way, but that's being saved for spring. She has been retired for winter. Yes it has the snow plow mounted...the only snow it may push is my driveway. It will not see salt.
Awesome craiglist finds...NOS brand new talent light lenses, immaculate color correct dash pad and nearly flawless seat along with a few other things not pictured.
After years of carburetors, this truck will finally see fuel injection. Currently in the process of rebuilding the entire fuel system from scratch. This system is being built to support...well let's just say, some serious horsepower is in the future. I'll leave it up to your imagination