Slipstream in GT Sport is Overpowered

(Off topic) Is it for driving through ghosted cars? I picked up a penalty for just passing someone under yellow, right at the end of the qualifying sesion at BMB. I'm fairly sure I didn't drive through anyone ghosted in the process.

The yellow flags are great to serve as a warning to potentially avoid an accident but to actually use them to implement penalties is just really dumb. You could set provisional pole and just absolutely game the system.
If you look at the red car on the left, it overtakes after the yellow flag, but doesn't pass through a ghosted car, and doesn't get a penalty.

The crazy thing is that a car serving a penalty, i.e. being slowed down by the game, can itself trigger a yellow flag, i.e. you're not permitted to overtake the car serving the penalty. I've seen people get a penalty for overtaking a car serving a penalty, without overlapping the ghost.

The problem is that the slipstream effect still happens if you (or someone you are passing) is ghosted.
Are you serious?
I always place myself cars that are ghosted if a little far to get in their slipstream when they come out but never thought it would have effect still when ghosted

Are you serious?
I always place myself cars that are ghosted if a little far to get in their slipstream when they come out but never thought it would have effect still when ghosted

Yes, likewise you will also get dirty air when behind a lapped car which is ghosted. Ghosting itself only allows other drivers to drive through you, the rest of the game physics still apply.

Here is an (extreme) example from last year where it was a fuel-limited FIA race at an oval, with ghosted lapped cars. This is explained in the video (courtesy of @Lion-Face... who will provide royalties for me boosting his channel views :D).

Last edited:
Well first thing they need to change is no ghost for lapped cars.

And lapped cars get penalties if they don't let you overtake them and if they push you to a mistake while you overtake them, in that case they should get a 10 second pitstop penalty or some sort.

PD should get nearer to Codemaster on the penalty system implemented in F1 2019

And lapped cars get penalties if they don't let you overtake them and if they push you to a mistake while you overtake them, in that case they should get a 10 second pitstop penalty or some sort.

Nope. The reason they ghost lap cars in the first place is because said lap cars would purposely ruin people’s races.

Not ghosting lapped cars would be chaos. Someone running in last place won't care about additional penalties. They'll just ruin the leaders race and then sod off.

Make it realistic and disqualify them if they do so

How long have you played this game? They don’t dq or ban anyone. When they didn’t ghost lapped cars, lapped cars would be like “well I’m not gonna win, lets take out people on purpose!” The game used to have dq, but it was flawed so they took it away. Ghost lapped cars is fine aside from dirty air and such.

Quote: Polyphony Digital can't find a solution for this
The easy "solutions" are obvious:
1. Turn off slipstream in quali (and maybe ghost everyone) ==> Drivers will complain it's not realistic.
2. Race on your own in quali ==> Drivers will complain it's not realistic.

A good idea would probably be just a longer quali, so that people naturally spread out instead of parking and waiting for the one perfect lap.

They just extended qualifying sessions to ten minutes. I used to be able to gamble on great solo laps hoping the slipstream train would derail and ruin many laps. Not anymore. :grumpy:

Yeah, you need to study some game theory for that. Like prisoner's dilemma. Nobody wants to go first, so everybody loses.

Wait, when did they go to 10min? before 19.05.? Or right 'now 'with the 22.05 update?

How long have you played this game? They don’t dq or ban anyone. When they didn’t ghost lapped cars, lapped cars would be like “well I’m not gonna win, lets take out people on purpose!” The game used to have dq, but it was flawed so they took it away. Ghost lapped cars is fine aside from dirty air and such.
Lol I know they don't DQ people, but what i'm trying to say is that they should implement that in the game to make it fair

I think the slipstream adjustment has worked great.
Drivers are no longer able to get pulled up to my car on straights as if the Death Star tractor beam was emanating from my rear wing.
I'll be honest, after watching so much F1 I thought that was how it actually is and was upset when they reduced it. Then I realized F1 also has DRS on the straights which makes a huge difference.

simple , make everybody ghost for the qualy session , thus no slipstream queue non sense
nah, that's not realistic. I know that it's a pain the way some people behave and/or don't understand the dynamic during qualifying but it IS part of the game, as it is in the real sport that it's simulating, so that would be silly.

The ghosting of lapped cars is just a sensible thing to avoid an unbalanced situation where one has much to gain and nothing to lose, the other vice-versa. But the qualifying situation is the same for all and the game includes managing that aspect of your qualifying lap. It's part of the challenge, and should stay that way, annoying grievances aside.

Thanks to the clever folks at gt-engine.com, we have an objective analysis of the new slipstream.

Old slipstream:
slipstream-max-gr3-atenza-mcl-156.png

New slipstream:
slipstream-max-gr3-atenza-mcl-157.png

If you don't like reading graphs, basically the new slipstream acceleration is weaker, but the range and eventual speed gain is the same. In racing terms, you get ~3 seconds extra "protection" before the car behind overtakes you at the end of the straight. IMO for racing I think it's decent. But for quali it's still too much of an advantage for the car behind.

Back