SmoothTrack - A £10 Head-Tracking Solution

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 7 comments

Scaff

United Kingdom
He/Him
ScaffUK
I came across this one as a suggestion in my Instagram feed, not normally a good place to get product recommendations, but it seems to have been well received by the flight sim community. So I gave it a go, and for PC sim racers I have to say it does exactly what it claims to do and works remarkably well, it's compatible with Android and iOS and I've found gives solid and reliable head-tracking with a good range of titles.

So far I've tested the following:

Works
Assetto Corsa
Assetto Corsa Competizione
RaceRoom
RFactor 2
Automobilista
Live for Speed
Dirt Rally 2
BeamNG
Race 07
GT Legends

Works with a workaround (click link to go to post with details)
Project Cars 2
Automobilita 2

Doesn't Work
WRC 9
Kart Kraft

Last edited:
Thanks to a tip I got in the comments section of my review video, I have now been able to get SmoothTrack working for Project Cars 2 and Automobilitsa 2.

The trick is that you need to launch them from Steam using the Steam VR option, then once the title is running ensure you are in Helmet cam rather than cockpit cam, and away you go. This video explains it all in more detail along with footage from both.

I think I can't use it. My pc doesn't have WiFi so it can't connect to my smartphone.

Damn that's a pain
Indeed, it is.

Luckily I have a very good Logitech webcam, only need to remove the IR filter and many, many years ago I made a 3-point FreeTrack tacking thing.

Back