SNAIL Division 1 - November Season

• Thread starter Neutty
  • 65 comments
Racing clean is a mindset. You have to be focused on making clean, intelligent passes first and foremost. If you are focused on getting to the front fast then your racecraft will suffer. It’s the same rule as your hands follow your eyes in racing. If you look at the wall you will hit the wall. What you are focusing on shows clearly in how you drive. As much as you would like to just quickly get past these slow annoying guys and battle for points, you have to slow down and work for those passes. Your results will absolutely suffer but people will respect you and actually look forward to racing you rather than thinking “oh no this guy again” which I have felt on many occasions.

In reviewing the replays I found more than a few instances where I made dumb rookie mistakes and bad decisions and I have a lot of things to work on too, we all do on some level. I had a wreck in front of me in race 2 and rather than checking up and getting through safely, I decided to just thundergun through like days of thunder, convinced that I saw the “hole”. Boom right into the side of poor Gunny who was trying to right himself and limp to the side of the track. I felt like an idiot.

Racing clean is a mindset. You have to be focused on making clean, intelligent passes first and foremost. If you are focused on getting to the front fast then your racecraft will suffer. It’s the same rule as your hands follow your eyes in racing. If you look at the wall you will hit the wall. What you are focusing on shows clearly in how you drive. As much as you would like to just quickly get past these slow annoying guys and battle for points, you have to slow down and work for those passes. Your results will absolutely suffer but people will respect you and actually look forward to racing you rather than thinking “oh no this guy again” which I have felt on many occasions.

In reviewing the replays I found more than a few instances where I made dumb rookie mistakes and bad decisions and I have a lot of things to work on too, we all do on some level. I had a wreck in front of me in race 2 and rather than checking up and getting through safely, I decided to just thundergun through like days of thunder, convinced that I saw the “hole”. Boom right into the side of poor Gunny who was trying to right himself and limp to the side of the track. I felt like an idiot.
Very well put whitey!!

Some very good points to keep in mind here in the last few posts. On the flipside, I want to call out some of the good racecraft shown on Sunday night, and I am naming a name. @MSgtGunny
We had 2 amazing on track battles, one with the MR2 which we shadowed and traded spot spots a number of times, but no paint. More so, was the last race in the Porsche RSR at Suzuka. He was certainly the faster driver, and while I did my best to make my car as wide as possible, he showed some amazing patience, waiting nearly 2 laps to make and attempt to execute his move cleanly. After achieving the spot, I caught his draft on the front straight and was able to gain the overlap on the inside on entry to the double apex where we continued side by side through the S'with little to no contact at all. I was able to close the door and finish the pass, just to have him hover my bumper to 130r. We entered nearly side by side, again, contact avoided and the racing lines respected. On approach to the final chicane is where the highest point of sportsmanship was shown...he missed his brake point and rather than trying to force the car in, he ditched it to the right to avoid any chance of collision. Hats off to some great racing and a great display of Snail sportsmanship.:cheers:

I am committed to clean driving. I do however make stupid mistakes in traffic very often, but it is not intentional. Also, being on the slow side of the pack, I am not intimidated by the fast guys (that's what I tell myself anyway). My car will be wide and you will work for your pass if I can keep it on the track (sometimes you just have to wait a little....:lol:). I'm not pulling over for nobody. Part of my goal is to keep a faster driver behind (usually by staying on what I think is the driving line and no weaving...). I will give you room though (like an oversize closet) if you get your nose past my rear bumper, but I'm not necessarily giving you the faster line. If you play according to the Daniel Ricciardo playbook, we will most likely both end up off the track. If you pass me cleanly, I will respect that, but I will still mumble inside and being pissed.... and my wife will tell me to quit being such a baby!

Are you ready for Sunday...?

I am committed to clean driving. I do however make stupid mistakes in traffic very often, but it is not intentional. Also, being on the slow side of the pack, I am not intimidated by the fast guys (that's what I tell myself anyway). My car will be wide and you will work for your pass if I can keep it on the track (sometimes you just have to wait a little....:lol:). I'm not pulling over for nobody. Part of my goal is to keep a faster driver behind (usually by staying on what I think is the driving line and no weaving...). I will give you room though (like an oversize closet) if you get your nose past my rear bumper, but I'm not necessarily giving you the faster line. If you play according to the Daniel Ricciardo playbook, we will most likely both end up off the track. If you pass me cleanly, I will respect that, but I will still mumble inside and being pissed.... and my wife will tell me to quit being such a baby!

Are you ready for Sunday...?
I like and respect this. I am probably one of the slowest guys in all of SNAIL, but this approach makes a lot of sense to me. this will be my new mantra moving forward.

Hi fellas,
Fought off the flu all week and was in no mood for practice. Going to step away for tonight's races. Good luck to everyone.

I'll backup any of the roles. Never know what could happen. Someone may get lucky and decide last minute to abandon us....

Man that was a crazy night of racing last night. I drove my heart out but just cannot find the pace to steal a strong finish. My biggest issue is starts still. I drop like a stone, settle in and then can usually hold my own pretty well mid pack but losing so many positions at the start puts me in a hole every time. I need to work on that moving forward.

I did have one good finish brewing until I suddenly found myself in the Macau F3 race with an out of control bullet with my name on it streaking toward me at the speed of light. My lawyers will be in touch @Zalcecan lol.

Man that was a crazy night of racing last night. I drove my heart out but just cannot find the pace to steal a strong finish. My biggest issue is starts still. I drop like a stone, settle in and then can usually hold my own pretty well mid pack but losing so many positions at the start puts me in a hole every time. I need to work on that moving forward.

I did have one good finish brewing until I suddenly found myself in the Macau F3 race with an out of control bullet with my name on it streaking toward me at the speed of light. My lawyers will be in touch @Zalcecan lol.
Haha. He was joking about that last night with the lawyers.

Me too thus the lol. I watched your twitch stream today to see what you were upset about in race 3 and then skipped to the end to see what your view of the last lap was. Since I am not in the party during racing it was cool to see what you guys are on about between and after races. When he mentioned the lawyers I bust out laughing that was hilarious! In the moment it wasn’t funny but it was just so ludicrous that i just can’t help but laugh. I mean clearly it was an accident.

Me too thus the lol. I watched your twitch stream today to see what you were upset about in race 3 and then skipped to the end to see what your view of the last lap was. Since I am not in the party during racing it was cool to see what you guys are on about between and after races. When he mentioned the lawyers I bust out laughing that was hilarious! In the moment it wasn’t funny but it was just so ludicrous that i just can’t help but laugh. I mean clearly it was an accident.
Yea he felt really bad. He went back and kept watching it. I was so mad at myself just couldn’t help it. I came into the night with lots of practice and confidence and wanted the win bad!!

I seriously hit a good braking zone mark for clean air but that's not what I had at all it was throwing me off all race after I had mostly led the first and I'm sorry again I should have ducked left but I freaked out bad.

Also the second race on the MR2s you need to watch the replay with that insanely close finish you beat me it for some reason changed our positions after we crossed the line

I'm 50/50 for tonight fellas. Very busy holiday weekend, and zero practice. If I can manage to get a little seat time, and finish Christmas decorating with the family, I might make it. Good luck to everyone tonight either way.

I might just make it if little snailien sleeps some this afternoon. But not planning on it at this time.

Back