Snails - Racing for Real

• Thread starter CoachMK21
  • 369 comments
Well, I said I wasn't totally happy with any of my runs at Myrtle Beach, but since I got TWO views of my fastest run I figured I'd put this together.

Always looking for critiques if anyone has any :)

@RobbiefromBC It might be my imagination, but it seems like you lose time on the straights.

Not your imagination... The engine that was supposed to be the hot ticket is real flat out of the hole... Evens out at the end of the straight a little bit but I'm right back to where I was last year. I like the in car view sync'd with the roof cam!

Not your imagination... The engine that was supposed to be the hot ticket is real flat out of the hole... Evens out at the end of the straight a little bit but I'm right back to where I was last year. I like the in car view sync'd with the roof cam!
Yeah looked like they always pull away at the beginning of the straights, do you get to use custom cam grinds?

And yeah the gopro view is sort of like the view I use in GT6 lol :)

My local SCCA region, Finger Lakes, had their opening round for for the autocross season this past Sunday. I was a little uneasy heading into it, because the majority of the top drivers went to the Evolution School the day before. I wanted to go, but I balked at the $260 price tag. The instructor (2-time national champ David Whitener) from the EVO school raced in one of the attendees cars too and gave a course walk through to those that went. Fortunately for me, one of my friends walked the course with me and gave me his tips.

Warning: Way Long Post. I tried to keep it short, I swear, but this is what came out;

I have instructed for Evolution a few times, and it is a good program that you can get your dollars' worth with the right approach. The price tag can be misleading with regards to value, because most people expect the 5-7 minutes of seat time you receive at a typical event but with coaching. You will usually receive the equivalent seat time of 15 plus events, or well over 1 hour of seat time depending on turnout/site. A lot of times it can be recommended that you are prepared for the increased wear from the greater seat time, specifically regarding tyres. If the car is to be codriven at the school, the car could see enough time to go through a set of tires in a day, depending on many variables. If you are just looking for a TnT/shakedown day, then certainly there are cheaper/better options to achieve that simple goal, but the feedback you receive can be valuable at an Evo school.

Typically, regardless of experience they will guide you towards completing the Phase 1 course before moving on to the others. For those interested in the program, I find that can be one of the biggest deterrents to some who carry the mindset of 'I already know what I'm doing and have XX experience, I don't need a beginner school.' In practice, this isn't the case because the program, in particular Phase 1 and 2, are very adaptive and taught 'to the need' of the student rather than having a set curriculum. For example, when I get a student who has done 5 events prior, my approach and what we work on is going to be very different from a 20 year veteran(and yes, they do show up for phase 1). This is easy to accomplish given the typical format for phase 1, which begins in the morning with 3 cold runs alone in your car on a special course layout to set a baseline. Then you will make 3 runs with your instructor along. From there you will typically receive some feedback and be given the opportunity to make the runs again. The improvement(or lack thereof) and deviation in your runs is going to tell me a lot about 'where' you are and where I need to start. The driver that ran all of their runs within .5 who's mistakes consisted of overdriving an entry here or there is going to receive a very different approach and experience from me than the driver who was 5 feet off the cones with a 2 second minimum deviation. Someone who needs to work on keeping two hands on the wheel is going to receive that type of instruction, and someone who needs to work on setting up oscillation frequency for a slolam is going to receive instruction to that effect. Phase 1 is intentionally very malleable because of that reason; people of varied skills will be there.

Phase 2 tends to elaborate upon the skills illustrated in phase 1, with an emphasis on the mental how and why of the skills. It will help students understand why looking ahead dictates your inputs, even subconsciously, and how to utilise these instincts to force yourself to create the proper inputs that result in the car best performing as you prescribed; for example. The course layout is also typically different(as sites allow) than phase 1, with a few longer more complicated elements than the phase 1 course which usually consists of a loop featuring an increasing radius and constant radius turn along with a short slolam or offset. In both courses you will run in both directions, which of course turns that increasing radius turn into a more challenging decreasing radius as the day progresses.

From there, you can take several directions. There is a Challenge school where you will usually compete directly with an instructor in your own car, typically via back to back runs and ridealongs. They also offer some two-day events, including a TnT school, which isn't a TnT per se, but rather a course that teaches how to most effectively utilise TnT dates. This includes more advanced setup and testing methodology, and works on understanding what effects certain setup changes make so that you can make intelligent changes rather than relying on process of elimination.

There are also several higher level courses tailoured to specific needs and students, including a datalogging course that works on how to log data correctly and more importantly, how to interpret and use that data to improve yourself. As well, there are other focused courses that target certain types of events and the how to overcome the mental pressures that come with each unique format. Those are typically offered in conjunction with the event during the weekend.

In summary, there is something for everyone really. There are also alternatives to these programs, including other schools as well and many regions/clubs host their own schools/coaching days. This is why I recommend that folks jump in for rides with other drivers, and if you have a local hotshoe in a similar car; offer them to drive yours and ride with them. You'll probably learn something, and maybe come away with a couple of suggestions to improve your car/setup. Most of the programs use a couple of core instructors, and then recruit accomplished locals to fill the gap depending on turnout. As such, like many programs outside motorsports, your experience can vary with the quality and familiarity of your instructor and the site itself. For example, if you are in your second or third year and run all of your events on your region's tarmac site, you probably won't receive the maximum benefit from taking a competition school at a concrete site. As well, attempts are made to pair instructors with appropriate students and cars as someone more intimately familiar with Corvettes is typically going to instruct other Corvette drivers better than say a student with an SRT-4.

As a personal aside, I used to take a phase 2 every spring as a student. Even instructors need instruction at times, and moreso I found that having feedback from another experienced driver was valuable to me as an additional perspective. Someone else watching you can point out habits(not necessarily bad, but perhaps unique) that can give you a better understanding about what you are doing. Even winning every event, it is still beneficial to know HOW you won and WHAT it is that you do that makes you win. That can help you identify what those subconscious secrets are and what you are doing to make yourself fast that you don't even know that you are doing. The braking double-tap, the 'you push the car, you don't pull the car into a turn' and several other goodies were things I had done instinctively for years. One specific teaching point that is now significant to me; I only realised what I was doing and how that was a key to my success after a student in the past had asked me 'why did you do this there?' In answering the question, that student taught me something that day, something I had always known, but didn't know that I knew. He later went onto GTAcademy along with two more students of mine in following year.

Post Script: I quoted Coach above as it spawned my response, however this post became more general information for everyone and as such is not directed at any individual.

Thanks @Marcus Garvey! You have an amazing wealth of knowledge. And I really did want to go to the EVO school. My balking at the price was due to the fact that I didn't want to ask my wife if it was okay, after spending a good chunk of change for the ChumpCar race at Daytona :) I choose to pick my battles and I waved the white flag before battle began.

Not a fun weekend at all. Moving on...

Just watched this for the first time. Glad that you're okay. Was there any other damage other than the cosmetic marks/dents on the shell? What was that guy thinking? You must have saw him coming up, as you drifted wide give him room on the inside.

Just watched this for the first time. Glad that you're okay. Was there any other damage other than the cosmetic marks/dents on the shell? What was that guy thinking? You must have saw him coming up, as you drifted wide give him room on the inside.
A good friend that got in over his head. I saw him in there, but misjudged the speed he was closing at otherwise I wouldn't have turned in. Bent the tie rods and tweaked the crap outta the steering box mount... After the hit the car was never the same.

Hey guys,

Yesterday was Round 1 of the PittRace Spring Rental Kart Series. The track has brand new asphalt this year so we all knew there would be more speed in the karts this time around. A few of us took a trip out a few weeks ago so I knew generally what to expect. more grip, more asphalt on a couple exits and obviously new curbing.

Practice wasnt' spectacular by any stretch of the imagination. I qualified with a 1:18.2xx which was good for 5th. The steering on the kart felt a bit too linear for my liking and being my first run I'm just testing the waters a bit.

The Pre-Final was great fun. I'm kinda glad I didn't qualify all that well because it meant I got to put my racecraft to the test. This kart had a much more progressive feel to it. It seemed slightly lazy at low speed, but had a tendency to get loose in the fast esses with too abrupt steering input. Chasing the fast guy (the fella that actually manages the Wilson Circuit) taught me what I was doing wrong as far as my line goes. Pre-Final best lap 1:15.827 (best of the bunch).

Even though Michael won the Pre-Final, employees never (that I've seen) start up front for the Final. So that put me on pole. This kart was really good and was a bit of a mix of the two I had previously driven. Evidently the #21 is well liked as I later found out, but I was also feeling really good about my lines, braking points/modulation, lift modulation, steering input, G's etc... One for one so far in 2016. Not a bad Friday I'd say. 👍👍

Pre-Final

FINAL

Just in general really. My hot lap seems pretty solid and I have an idea what I did different, but if there's anything specifically wrong that I'm doing consistently I'm open to coaching. :)
Well, you have the technique, driving with these hard tires, sliding is the way to go. I like what you do at the hairpin (turn 2), you turn a lot using the tyres grip to slow the kart down while making it oversteer to slide through the hairpin, maybe you can do that at 15:56. Maybe you can try jumping the kerb at 14:18, but be sure to ask the staff if they are okay with that, as this may damage the kart, but if you were to jump on it you wouldn't have to lift the throttle.

Well, you have the technique, driving with these hard tires, sliding is the way to go. I like what you do at the hairpin (turn 2), you turn a lot using the tyres grip to slow the kart down while making it oversteer to slide through the hairpin, maybe you can do that at 15:56. Maybe you can try jumping the kerb at 14:18, but be sure to ask the staff if they are okay with that, as this may damage the kart, but if you were to jump on it you wouldn't have to lift the throttle.

Thanks! Are those times for the first or second video? I'll take a look at them. :)

14:18 I used to hop the kerb there, but it's higher now that they've repaved. Maybe if I get the line so that I'm straighter it may be more feasible. I'll give it a try next week.

15:56 you're kind of on point here because I'm not sure I'm doing it right. I really focus on minimizing time spent coasting here. It seems if I drive it too deep and use more steering, it gets loose and I lose momentum. I've seen guys last year stay to a tighter exit and shorter line but not sure if that's better.

14:18 I used to hop the kerb there, but it's higher now that they've repaved. Maybe if I get the line so that I'm straighter it may be more feasible. I'll give it a try next week.

15:56 you're kind of on point here because I'm not sure I'm doing it right. I really focus on minimizing time spent coasting here. It seems if I drive it too deep and use more steering, it gets loose and I lose momentum. I've seen guys last year stay to a tighter exit and shorter line but not sure if that's better.
Maybe you're right for 14:18. I imagine the rental chassis are very hard (so that the customers don't easily break the chassis), so it will probably break your butt before you even gain 1 tenth lol. Don't try :P Only competition karts which are going fast enough don't feel a thing. The rest is for you to squeeze the few tenths left on the track, as I said, you already developed the correct technique for this kart. :)

@Vitessekid

Yes, they're pretty beefy (I'm told about 100lbs. Heavier than a proper racing kart). We had a reverse course race last fall and I was rolling over the kerb at the exit of the fast esses. My back hurt for two weeks. :(

@Vitessekid

Yes, they're pretty beefy (I'm told about 100lbs. Heavier than a proper racing kart). We had a reverse course race last fall and I was rolling over the kerb at the exit of the fast esses. My back hurt for two weeks. :(
That's 30kg less heavy than a competition chassis :P It's the flex of the chassis, not how heavy it is. If I would to smash into the wall in slow motion, my chassis would wobble and do the harlem shake, because it's soft for racing, but the rental chassis is hard to prevent damage, so it would probably just kinda well, hit the wall. You can kinda say it acts as a suspension, only for every part of the kart and only if you're going fast enough. :P

@Lessen Just to add a quick tip, as @Vitessekid said, from my point of view you pretty much have the technique down.

Maybe you have noticed that when you slide a bit much, you lose too much traction and engine revs. To avoid some of that try this: when you know a sliding corner is coming and then just before the moment you are sliding on the corner, try to move your body weight (like throwing your bottom to the side while sitting) to the back of either side of the kart, depending on the corner left or right, so that your weight act as a “temporary ballast weight transfer” so the kart doesn’t lose traction when sliding. It’s a bit tricky to do it but you’ll notice when the kart exits the corners a little bit faster and the engine will not take that long to pick up speed as you exit the corner sliding.

Hope it helps

:cheers:

Last edited:
I should be getting some 370z Nismo autocross videos up soon, just waiting on the car's owner to send me the go-pro footage from the 3/4 window so I can make some composites with the in-car footage I took :)

I beat the car's owner by 2.6 sec too by the way :) which is something I'm proud of. I wish I had gotten used to the car before GT Academy last year, I would have smashed out a much better lap...

FipKk5c.jpg

Ironically, the one time I don't show up with my car, there is a car in my class - and it places first in PAX and I think 3rd overall out of 140+ cars. A gutted '77 Rabbit on really wide slicks.

OSUSxzE.jpg

EDIT: Video is up, but the outside shot was done with a potato.

Last edited:
Finally got time to write something up from this past weekend. My local SCCA region had it's second local event of the season. I was feeling a lot more confident than at the first event. Mostly because I did pretty well at the first one. The course was fairly technical and on the slower speed range than some. Top speed was 46 mph, but had 3 total sections where speeds were 46, 44 and 42 mph with 3 corresponding slower sections in the mid 20's. Initially, the event was supposed to run the course set up one way, then make a small change for the afternoon and add your best times together. Unfortunately, we had some technical issues at registration and our karts got off slower than normal too. This forced us to keep the same course, but still added the times together.

I decided to use my Harry's LapTimer to video my runs as well, but only so I could easily review them between runs. This was extremely helpful as I was able to see my line, braking points and acceleration to make improvements. My first run was a 33.889, which was still faster than majority of the groups best runs for the day. My second run was slightly faster, 33.675 and I put it together on the final run with a 33.043 to give me a .5xx lead in the Street 1 class through the morning runs. My fourth run (1st of the afternoon) was right with my third run, 33.069 which locked up the class win. I hit a cone early in my fifth run and made a mental mistake, so I drove the rest a lot more aggressive to see if it helped, 33.369+1. My final run I kept part of that aggressiveness and put together my fastest run of the day, 32.972. I've attached a picture with the top 3 in class results.

Capture.PNG

Our region split the street class this year, since it was pretty large last year and it made worker assignments difficult. The split is Street 1 - SS, AS, BS and CS. Street 2 is the rest - DS, ES, FS, GS & HS. Both groups have been fairly evenly split so far, 11-14 drivers each. In the first event, I was 1st in Street 1, but 3rd when combining Street 1 and Street 2. This week, I was 1st overall in the combined Street, 8th overall in PAX and had the 21st fastest RAW time, out of 97 drivers.

On to the videos. The first is a 3rd person view of me. I rarely get to see my car driving like this, so it was great he was willing to record it for me. The second video has two views; an in car windshield mounted GoPro and a bumper mounted GoPro. The bumper view is my favorite! Feedback is always welcome, especially from @Marcus Garvey.

If we can get good enough cell service at Watkins Glen this weekend, we are going to try to Livestream in car video again. Just click on the links below to watch on your computer or phone. You may have to download the Livestream on your mobile device to watch, but it is free. I don't know my time slots yet, but I'll post when I do.

Friday, 4 hours of open testing, 1 pm - 4 pm:

Saturday, 7 hour race, 9 am - 4 pm:

Sunday, 7 hour race, 9 am - 4 pm:

I went up to NCM Motorsports Park for a track day with Just Track It. I highly recommend going to this course if you're anywhere close to Bowling Green, KY (3 hour drive for me). Fast corners, slow corners, fast transitions, elevation, decent runoff area- it's got it all.

Here's video of my fastest lap. 02:28:00

I went up to NCM Motorsports Park for a track day with Just Track It. I highly recommend going to this course if you're anywhere close to Bowling Green, KY (3 hour drive for me). Fast corners, slow corners, fast transitions, elevation, decent runoff area- it's got it all.

Here's video of my fastest lap. 02:28:00

I watched this yesterday and it looks like a fun track. It's on our list of tracks to race in ChumpCar, but not this year. Thanks for sharing!

Back