Snails - Racing for Real

• Thread starter CoachMK21
  • 369 comments
@RobbiefromBC - Some ChumpCar guys were talking about a new track opening in BC. Maybe you already know about it, called Area 27. They just started paving and posted some cool pictures of the progress. Looks like it's around 4 hours from you.

Yep, it's out in the Okanagan; Oliver I think... Funded by Jaques Villeneuve and supposedly getting FIA approved but we'll see about that. The Sports Car Club is looking into running there, if the cost for a race weekend is feasible. Haven't seen a track map just yet though...

Yep, it's out in the Okanagan; Oliver I think... Funded by Jaques Villeneuve and supposedly getting FIA approved but we'll see about that. The Sports Car Club is looking into running there, if the cost for a race weekend is feasible. Haven't seen a track map just yet though...

On the website they have a track map. It's looks pretty good with some very challenging turns, like turn 7 they talk about a lot in the paving write up.

On the website they have a track map. It's looks pretty good with some very challenging turns, like turn 7 they talk about a lot in the paving write up.
I just went on the website, looks pretty cool! Still not like the tracks from the previous era, but looks like it could be fun. Even more so with some elevation changes!

We had another local autocross event today and it was my best overall placing I've ever had. Although I only finished 2nd in class, I was 4th overall on PAX and 8th overall on RAW time out of 60 entries. Turn out was lower than normal due to the rain forecast. The morning was very, very wet. So wet that I was over 10 seconds faster when the course dried out. Best time was 35.633. My last run was a 35.499, but I clipped a cone. The video has 2 views; one looking ahead and a second one on me.

I had back to back weekend autocrosses last weekend and yesterday. It was a really good couple of events. In the first, I finished 1st in class and 3rd overall and yesterday, I was 2nd in class and 4th overall. Take a look at the videos below.

September 10th - CNY SCCA at Cayuga Community College - Fulton Campus

September 18 - FLR SCCA at Delphi

I figured I'd place this here as well, since this is for "Real Racing".

I took a trip out west, to the lovely city of Buffalo, or more specifically, Orchard Park at Ralph Wilson, er New Era Stadium for my final autocross event of the year. The WNY-SCCA holds an annual Champagne Run, where the class winners get a bottle of champagne. The also have a special car class, the rental car. This year's rental was the 'Manager's Special", a Nissan Versa. It was terrible :)

I had a special guest as well. My son took part in his first autocross. He got his license in July and I figured 3 months was enough time to autocross :) He did really well for his first time driving hard. WNY-SCCA scores their event as a "2-day", in which they take your best morning time and add it to your best afternoon time. Mike got faster on each run, but got a cone on each of his best morning and afternoon runs. They were still his fastest times, even with the 2 second penalty. He finished 19th out of 26 in the Novice class, but would have been 8th if not for those 2 cones.

Somehow, I had a really good run the first time out and had a .380 lead going into the afternoon. Then on my 2nd afternoon run, I found some more speed and won Street by .430. So I won by bottle of Champagne and also reinforced my season dominance to win the Street season crown as well. Now I get to move up to Pro next year. Complete results.

Here is a video of my son's runs. To show how much he improved, he went from 52.195 on his first run, to 42.993 on his last. My best was 39.689.

My best runs of the day.

Here's my 2016 season highlights! lots of exciting moments and close racing! Share it with your friends, family, work colleagues, or anyone that likes to watch a good bit of racing! A few too many DNF's this year left me in 3rd place in points when the final checkered flag dropped, but the car is already apart and is getting rebuilt faster and stronger, I can hardly wait for April 2017!

Finished the last SOLO event of our region's calendar last weekend :) My goal was to use my new tires (Federal 595ss, cheaaaaap but apparently decent) to win tire class, but when I signed up on-site they didn't add the "T" to my class to put me in tire class, so I ended up running in FSP all by myself, where I was already in 1st in points despite missing three events.

Either way, I got to finally try the car on decent tires. It was interesting! They were a bit softer feeling than my old tires despite having 8psi more air and stiffer sidewalls. I think they just had so much more grip that the sidewall had much more force to put up with.

Oh, and if I'd been in Tire class, I'd have won; and finally beaten that 350z on Hankook RS3's that always beats me by 2sec. And at the venue that favors power more than any other we go to! So I'm quite happy with my $50ea Federals.

Can you explain "Tire class"?
It's a class that any car on street tires 200 treadwear or below can enter, so you could be in a slow ol' rolla like mine or a brand new BRZ with RE-71rs and be in "tire" class if you want.

The idea seems to be that its the class that most people who don't have money for dedicated tires to be competitive in their class will run; or a class that lets cars that would normally be the only car in their class to compete with cars with a similar grip level.

Our region doesn't do the "tire" class separation. Class determination is based on car modifications, but if you run anything less than 200TW, then you're in Street Prepared, Prepared or Modified. Unless the car came stock with a tire less than 200TW, like the Focus RS, which comes with 180TW tires.

Our region used to do that you could run slicks in any car class and you'd put a "R" after your class, so I would become CSR, instead of CS for C-Street. This changed 2 years ago when National changed their structure.

Well boys, I finally got a taste of some real world horsepower yesterday. I finally managed to schedule my prize driving session from my spring series win. 3 runs in a TAG kart. Boy was that an eye opener! It was a ton of fun though and a great experience. I'm glad I have another session in the bank from the fall series win because I really want to try my hand again and work on some techniques and get those laptimes down closer to what the club guys can run. I have to admit it wasn't the most glamorous time I've had on track, with a fews offs and a couple spins. Stuff happens in a hurry that's for sure. Really fascinating stuff. Can't wait for spring! :) 👍

Finished the last SOLO event of our region's calendar last weekend :) My goal was to use my new tires (Federal 595ss, cheaaaaap but apparently decent) to win tire class, but when I signed up on-site they didn't add the "T" to my class to put me in tire class, so I ended up running in FSP all by myself, where I was already in 1st in points despite missing three events.

Either way, I got to finally try the car on decent tires. It was interesting! They were a bit softer feeling than my old tires despite having 8psi more air and stiffer sidewalls. I think they just had so much more grip that the sidewall had much more force to put up with.

Oh, and if I'd been in Tire class, I'd have won; and finally beaten that 350z on Hankook RS3's that always beats me by 2sec. And at the venue that favors power more than any other we go to! So I'm quite happy with my $50ea Federals.

nice work. crazziness at 47 sec with steering..

My Video/Update Hub
View attachment 542810
View attachment 477042

2017 Schedule
View attachment 619719

2016 McRace Memorial Sunday Race 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO1V2aratR4

2016 McRae Memorial Sunday Race 2
https://youtu.be/P9Kg2iibCqw

2016 Spring Sprints CACC #2 Saturday Race 1 CRASH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0aopNqg7C4

2016 CACC #3 Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9L7hQGvUQo

2016 CACC #4 Sunday Race 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0nncXPTug4

2016 BCHMR Vintage Race Saturday Race 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGCGok6cWUI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGCGok6cWUI
2016 Season Highlights!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LltRHVHXaGU

2015 Season Recap

Oct. 11th 2015 Race 2

Oct. 11th 2015 Race 1

Aug. 8th 2015 Race

Jul. 18th 2015 Race (First Novice Race)

My update hub has been, well, updated! Check it out!

16423173_10154116609401143_5762682735666204768_o.jpg

16402795_10154116609411143_2773607182903163968_o.jpg

Goodbye corolla:sadface:
Corolla isn't going anywhere xD
Nice. But wait until the first time you need new tires :( #supersadface
I found Federal 595 RSRR that should work for pretty cheap, for the rear anyway. They should come in a size for the front but I haven't found em yet.

Edit: 255/40-17 $120ea for the front
275/35-18 $161ea for the rear

Not.. too bad.

Last edited:
Back