Snails - Racing for Real

• Thread starter CoachMK21
  • 369 comments
As @TVV0_ mentioned, I also took part in the Glen Region event at Seneca Army Depot yesterday. After a terrible ChampTour Sunday last week, I had a brake pad change (back to stock pads) for this week and the car handled much better. This is my fastest run, which was good for 2nd overall PAX, 1st E-Street, and 4th RAW time, 57.608.

It was good to meet you too @TVV0_. We'll have to catch up more at a later event when were not just passing to get ready to drive. Also, fellow SNAIL @z06fun was the overall winner.

As @TVV0_ mentioned, I also took part in the Glen Region event at Seneca Army Depot yesterday. After a terrible ChampTour Sunday last week, I had a brake pad change (back to stock pads) for this week and the car handled much better. This is my fastest run, which was good for 2nd overall PAX, 1st E-Street, and 4th RAW time, 57.608.

It was good to meet you too @TVV0_. We'll have to catch up more at a later event when were not just passing to get ready to drive. Also, fellow SNAIL @z06fun was the overall winner.

Nice cam views! That run looked bloody fast. 👍

@JamCar0ne behind me. Unfortunately in SNAIL it is usually the opposite. Lol
upload_2018-6-21_17-58-32.jpeg

@whatbadgerseat and I were at the SCCA ProSolo and Solo Nationals this year.

upload_2018-9-20_11-11-13.png

SNAIL decals by whatbadgerseat proudly displayed on both cars :)

Congratulations to whatbadgerseat (WBE) on 8th place trophy at Solo Nationals - and for leading it on the first day in the rain - speaking of which here are mine and my son's wettest run on that day - quite foreign for us CA boys (I dont think this car has ever run in the rain in two yr of ownership :P ).

upload_2018-9-20_11-18-51.png

overall results:
ProSolo: WBE 7th, me 10th, son 13th in a field of 16
SoloNats: WBE 8th trophy, me 15th, son 16th in a field of 52.

my best runs vids for ProSolo and Nats here:
ProSolo:
Nats:

There has been a particular C5 Z06 with 315 square Hoosiers coming to my local SCCA events lately, I finally had a shot at beating him this weekend, but caught just a bit too much of a single slalom cone.. if I had moved over just enough to not hit the cone it would have been too close to call.. so much fun either way! Car is behaving quite well nowadays. Federals like seemingly crazy high tire pressures. What do y'all think of this run?

There has been a particular C5 Z06 with 315 square Hoosiers coming to my local SCCA events lately, I finally had a shot at beating him this weekend, but caught just a bit too much of a single slalom cone.. if I had moved over just enough to not hit the cone it would have been too close to call.. so much fun either way! Car is behaving quite well nowadays. Federals like seemingly crazy high tire pressures. What do y'all think of this run?

Very nice! nice and early through the slalom, good line and no drama :)

Very nice! I need to get my C5 on track soon. Are you running mostly stock er?
Its pretty close to stock, with some tweaks that would be legal in BS class. Only reason I run in CAM is that my region actually has people that enter that class, unlike BS.

Copypasta from the video desctiption, since it doesn't show up when you embed it here:

1999 Corvette Z51 6spd:

**200,000mi pizza delivery vehicle**

Federal 595 RS-RR 235/45r17 265/40r18

C5 Z06 30mm front swaybar

Factory '99 z51 front and rear springs with a bit of drivers side sagging.

(Early z51 have a softer rear than later z51 cars, front spring still z06 equivalent.)

Bilstein B8 front shocks Bilstein B6 rear shocks

Street alignment (-1.8 camber, 0 toe front, -0.8 camber and 1/8th toe in rear.. supposedly)

Billy Boat PRT axleback exhaust

Nice!
Mine is 1999 Z51 6 speed as well. I have 89,000 miles on it and I'm installing the 2013 Z06 shocks all around, and C6 Z51 sway bars front and back, so I'm not sure if those slight mods would make my car ineligible for this type of competition, if there is such a league like that here in Canada?

Nice!
Mine is 1999 Z51 6 speed as well. I have 89,000 miles on it and I'm installing the 2013 Z06 shocks all around, and C6 Z51 sway bars front and back, so I'm not sure if those slight mods would make my car ineligible for this type of competition, if there is such a league like that here in Canada?

I know there is autocross in Canada. Lookup SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) - I know there are many Canadian's that come to the US for Nationals - I know a few of them. Some from Alberta, others in the BC area. As far as legality of mods, for the A-Street or B-Street class (your 99 would be in one of those), you can run any shocks you like, but can only change one of the swaybars - front or rear - your choice. Aside from that, you can have any alignment you want and change the muffler (cat-back exhaust change - each site has a noise level requirement 92db at 50' under wide open throttle to be safe). Wheels must remain stock width, but can be +/- 1" in diameter and 7mm offset from stock. This is what makes the street classes affordable and competitive. Hope there's events near you.

I got to compete in the NMCP 125 this past weekend at New Castle Motorsports Park with a group of Pittsburgh area LO206 kart racers. My stint was the latter half of the 125 laps which amounted to about 75 minutes straight in the seat. This was my first experience doing a true Endurance event and it was quite the learning experience. Unfortunately I did not fit well in the kart I was sharing so as a result an still quite sore. We ran well considering that neither myself or my co driver had ever been to that track before and are both fairly new to 206 racing. We ended up 22nd out of 42 starting teams and avoided a lot of major on track incidents.

Was a good time and has me looking forward to possibly doing more 206 racing next year.

3F3FB817-A3BA-4190-9D3F-F05BD0DADE27.jpeg

Prior to taking off to Crows, I found this speed demon tearing across my driveway! Made me think of all y'all :D
IMG_20190405_074824997.jpg

Well, I'm back from the Crows Landing ProSolo and Fontana Prosolo where the SNAIL decal (thanks to @whatbadgerseat) was proudly displayed :) My son and I co-drove the Mazda of Elk Grove ND and came away with a 3rd and 6th at Crows and 4rd and 6th at Fontana. We were hoping to do better - but there was tough competition and I would say some tricky surface conditions at Fontana. The silver lining: results are good for Mazda contingency. :) Haven't put vids together yet, but will post once they are in. I made the Super Challenge (top 32 single elimination) at Fontana - went up against a Tesla: Man those things are wicked off the line! It puts down 1.7-1.8sec 60ft, while most FR cars (ND included) are ~2.2-2.3sec 60ft!!

IMG_20190330_094316554_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190407_131814900.jpg

Prior to taking off to Crows, I found this speed demon tearing across my driveway! Made me think of all y'all :D
View attachment 813817

Well, I'm back from the Crows Landing ProSolo and Fontana Prosolo where the SNAIL decal (thanks to @whatbadgerseat) was proudly displayed :) My son and I co-drove the Mazda of Elk Grove ND and came away with a 3rd and 6th at Crows and 4rd and 6th at Fontana. We were hoping to do better - but there was tough competition and I would say some tricky surface conditions at Fontana. The silver lining: results are good for Mazda contingency. :) Haven't put vids together yet, but will post once they are in. I made the Super Challenge (top 32 single elimination) at Fontana - went up against a Tesla: Man those things are wicked off the line! It puts down 1.7-1.8sec 60ft, while most FR cars (ND included) are ~2.2-2.3sec 60ft!!

View attachment 813816
View attachment 813819

Nice work!

I am getting my PCA Club Racing license this year. I have been wavering on using the 1995 in a Club Race because of the risk - track insurance for an actual weekend is usually about 20% of the value of the car. I am trying to angle my way onto a local AER team. The license will help.

I love instructing for HPDE events and intro clinics. I am a pretty dedicated ‘track rat’ now, usually 35-45 track days per year.

I am looking at adding a VBox camera and data system. I will upload one of my local events when I get home. I will add sensors for brake, throttle, and steering wheel positions for data once the system is in.

Great seeing Snails are still flying around tracks, real and virtual. :cheers:

OK, here is a lap on the track, and one AX run (borrowed car; my AX car is getting an upper-rebuild)

VBox speed is in kph, btw. ;-)

This weekend will be my first time driving an MX5 in any way, and I get to drive the class leader's ES Miata for autocross!

But thats just the silver lining. I was driving the Corvette and hit a blown-out super single tire (190lb tire, maybe 70-100lbs left of it)

Car probably wont get fixed until October at the earliest. :(

Here’s my lap record from April, which has since been beaten again by yours truly, Formula Vee lap record now stands at a 1:17.386...

And here’s my race at the Seattle nationals in May. This was after I touched wheels with a spinning car down the back section and shortened my car 3 inches on the right side. I also had about 2 degrees positive static camber bent into the spindle too...

I’m also running LO206 in Canada for Vemmekart with one if my buddies I grew up with at the track. We finished 4th and 5th in the western Canadian Championship, not bad considering he hasn’t raced in 7 years and I’ve never driven a go kart until this year. We’re back out for a club race this weekend in Chilliwack, here’s a few photos from the final round in Edmonton! I’m far left in the group photo, and our buddy we met on GTSport is far right!
BCD7ABA8-8882-46FB-AD41-9DBAF6509411.jpeg
0123FB12-36CB-499F-AB1E-7EBE5CE9562F.jpeg
CB01037B-35D2-4423-B59A-4C19AA9DEEFC.jpeg
60491719-D804-4BD9-BD6A-18323A35342E.jpeg

Back