Snails - Racing for Real

• Thread starter CoachMK21
  • 369 comments
Gosh, I feel so lame. I haven't really been doing much real life stuff at all recently. Maybe next year I jump into AutoX as serious as I would like.

Last club race went flawlessly... my teammate and I were glued to each others bumper all weekend long and put out a pretty dominant showing getting 1-2 in each prefinal and final! The gap between our qualifying times was unreal!
268A8439-ADB5-4E83-A0BB-5D6CCF9F4898.png
3CD9DA29-08CB-4F23-AE15-D7B778E8D597.png

The tall guy is me, my buddy Jacob is in the middle, the guy in white came 3rd and the trophy girl is my girlfriend
8A09EABB-6937-411D-AD75-137764F0823F.jpeg

Podium
AA00BC76-7B13-4911-9190-693F0F3023C0.jpeg

Lined up for Sundays final
C0875694-D46F-4C28-9271-B291A5EDAE16.jpeg
754197E3-2C48-4472-86F9-6681D60A5232.jpeg

After my win on Saturday, I got the title of undisputed LO206 heavyweight champion ;)
DF5AFCDB-E860-4FAA-A16B-EA5DA9ABDBE8.jpeg
3B987790-7C72-4F2E-9125-BD0B618BED05.jpeg
B9A62C1B-2D96-4A68-848C-E9D9134307F6.jpeg
guess someone didn’t see the last lap board...
533ADFC0-02F6-4199-86BC-B464F72DBF72.jpeg

Attachments

• 0B7034CD-AB8A-4F7E-851C-DC8637A79542.jpeg
    0B7034CD-AB8A-4F7E-851C-DC8637A79542.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 20
What’s up SNAILs?! It’s been a while since I raced with SNAIL, or GT Sport, but I thought I’d give an update on some recent motorsport adventures. This is me running SCCA Track Night in America at the Charlotte ROVAL in my BRZ. I had an absolute blast and can’t wait for the next one. I also have some upcoming auto cross events planned. If any of you guys are in the SCCA Central Carolina region let me know! Also, add me if you’re on iracing (Nathan Streiff). I’ve been on there running official races and a few 24h races with some other former SNAILs. SNAIL was the first club style racing league I’ve been a part of and my first step in getting more involved in motor sports. Thanks BOD for putting on such a great league. I had a great experience with it and hopefully I’ll race with you guys again on GT7 or another sim some time soon.
68A180CE-FCEB-4B3B-A78C-17C6965F5633.jpeg

5DB336A4-8B09-4E2A-B21D-BC4C5C4F746A.jpeg

What’s up SNAILs?! It’s been a while since I raced with SNAIL, or GT Sport, but I thought I’d give an update on some recent motorsport adventures. This is me running SCCA Track Night in America at the Charlotte ROVAL in my BRZ. I had an absolute blast and can’t wait for the next one. I also have some upcoming auto cross events planned. If any of you guys are in the SCCA Central Carolina region let me know! Also, add me if you’re on iracing (Nathan Streiff). I’ve been on there running official races and a few 24h races with some other former SNAILs. SNAIL was the first club style racing league I’ve been a part of and my first step in getting more involved in motor sports. Thanks BOD for putting on such a great league. I had a great experience with it and hopefully I’ll race with you guys again on GT7 or another sim some time soon.
View attachment 1067180
View attachment 1067181
Great job Nate, sweet ride.

@CANOWORMS1 's post in the main thread reminded me that this thread existed. Warning; my videos are poorly made with zero editing and even less production value. :lol:

Historically I have not run a lot of video, as I tend to keep things simple and my equipment relatively spartan. However, with the new requirements to run at minimum a forward facing video camera(and some requiring rear as well) that many sanctioning organizations have installed in the past year or two; I have been running video. Below are a few highlights from this year. The car is a 1992 Honda Civic, ~2450lbs with driver. The motor is a 1/4 million mile junkyard non-vtec B18B, probably making somewhere around 115-120hp at the wheels. I run the car with various groups, so the car is not fully built to any particular ruleset. SCCA has very limited options for cars without the original engine, so I run the car in a catch-all Improved Touring class. As such, I'm classed with anything from Spec Miatas to 350HP+ Corvettes and BMWs. There are no prep limitations, just safety rules, so it's not serious competition. Though, because SCCA often runs mixed class racing outside of majors and runoffs, there are all sorts of cars around and your finishing results reflect both your finishing positions in class and overall. Anyway, below is an example of an average race, complete with avoiding crashing Miatas(maybe some nsfw language in there...be warned :lol: ) This race I finished 5th overall out of 25, 1st in class. You'll notice I get run over at the start as my qualifying lap times are on par with much more powerful cars, and then slowly make my way back up finishing several places ahead of my starting position. It's worth mentioning that I drive this car to races. So I tend to drive more conservatively and do my best to not get tangled up, particularly at the start, because I have to drive this car home after the race.

The above is pretty typical regional race, and there is a bit of open track out there. Below is a more entertaining, complete with spinning Miatas, although the driving more reserved and the lap times unimpressive. There is some awful driving to be witnessed in there, and some head shaking going on haha. The race below I started last as I did not run the qualifying or practice sessions the previous day(running a business sucks.) So I started from the back, ice cold with no practice or seat time, and clawed my way from 43rd to 24th gaining 19 positions in 11 laps. The lap times I ran were way off pace as I spent most of the race in traffic, still ended up with a best lap just outside the top 10 though well over a half second slower than my usual. It was a fun race that had a couple of my friends running in class, one with a 300+hp MR2 and another with a similarly powerful E30.

This is just a single flying lap of Lime Rock.

Last edited:
I used to run an old 1980 911 at Sebring a lot (in the late 90’s early 2000’s) and it was the same deal. I drove it there and back about 1.5hrs each way and it was my daily driver car as well. So the priority was to drive well within the limits :)

I used to daily a 1993 Civic EX before I got the 911. Great car…I had a nice stereo in it :)

Last edited:
Playing with RaceRender a bit more, I made my first attempt at a data overlay. I'll hopefully get the full race video up in the next day or two, been super busy. Tough to see, but the Miata behind me was countersteering out of the downhill the entire turn and barely kept it on the track. I should put the full rear view in its own video, because that was where much of the crazy stuff went on during the race.

Back