So, did PD ever listened to us (the community)?

• Thread starter bmxmitch
  • 62 comments

Does PD listen to its community?

• Total voters
Germany
Berlin, Germany
bmxmitch1
Endless feedback and threads, hundreds of improvement ideas and lots of complaining....but, did PD ever listen!?

To me, it feels like PD really doesnt care. Of course they add stuff and fix things, but interact with the fanbase!? Doesnt feel like it... (besides the FIA events for certain people)
I know PD always was like this, but wouldnt it be time for them to hire a community manager, or someone who posts updates from time to time? At least someone who gives us the feeling of being heard?

What do you think? Do we have the slightest impact on PDs decisions?

I mean, on one side, they do add the cars that are most requested in the forums

On the other side, it took them half a year or smth like that to fix the 4K backfires bug, and that only happened when one of the GTPlanet members told about it in person to the guy who is in the graphics department of PD

So, 50/50 i guess. But the quality of the feedback can definitely be better than it is atm imo

I think they do, but we shouldn't expect them to wilt to their playerbase and fix everything. And that isn't to say that we shouldn't offer suggestions. Consumer feedback is to be expected. I just don't think it's realistic to expect them to address all issues that have been pointed out.

Last edited:
OFC they don't listen. They think that fixing some of the bugs and adding cars every month will keep people sweet. I mean how hard would it be to fix little things like having more than 3 weekly races to choose from? Balancing certain car classes so people actually wanna play as there favorite cars. One of my big bug bares is the searching tool for liveries. I a massive racing fan so if i wanted to look up all the silk cut cars that have been created then why cant i type that in and see ALL the cars that were tagged with it? It might stop us from seeing 100's of the same liveries (Calsonic GTR for example) all the time!

They listen alright, but at the end of the day it's their game and vision. Sometimes you raise an eyebrow at what they have planned and it turns out really well, other times it can be frustrating.

You also have to account for the divide in the playerbase between those who pine for it to be 1998 still and those after more 'racing' and not that interested in *insert generic 90s Japanese box here* being added.

Project Cars was built around 'the community', didn't do it any good at all because often what people think they want doesn't actually work in practice

having more than 3 weekly races to choose from

Exhibit A :lol:

Of course they listen. Spa has been requested for a year and PD still hasn't added it yet. That can't be coincidence.

Perhaps reverse psychology works. Spa sucks, penalties from behind are awesome, I love to get punted off and get penalized for it, I want monthly races, I wish I would get disconnected more often while the race loads.

Ehh, no need to complain. We get a new track and new cars every month. I can deal with the rest.

The real question is, are they listening to the right critiques? I can't be the only person who feels little incentive to play this game due to not being able to get the fancy cars because of the credit system or the continuous daily mileage hatchback or Group 3 drop? If they listened to the right critiques then surely we wouldn't have such a poor offline mode and progress system from release?

OFC they don't listen. They think that fixing some of the bugs and adding cars every month will keep people sweet. I mean how hard would it be to fix little things like having more than 3 weekly races to choose from? Balancing certain car classes so people actually wanna play as there favorite cars. One of my big bug bares is the searching tool for liveries. I a massive racing fan so if i wanted to look up all the silk cut cars that have been created then why cant i type that in and see ALL the cars that were tagged with it? It might stop us from seeing 100's of the same liveries (Calsonic GTR for example) all the time!

Yes they do. Single player implemented, grip bug fixed amongst other bugs. Stability/grip/drivability improvements for some MR cars (still needs more work though), harsh penalties (ala 1.13) being reduced. These were off the top of my head so for you to say "OFC they don't" is flat out wrong.

I'm grateful I'm not a Fallout, Battlefield or a Diablo fan. In the current gaming climate, PD are doing a pretty good job, but I understand you want your personal needs addressing by PD for you to think that they listen to the community.

They must do with GTP having a big enough presence at live events.

They've probably got a custom GTP database. One without the frequently updated 'bugs' thread in it... I'm pretty sure they read it when somethings big turns up like the grip bug though.

Feedback on GTP is foolproof anyway. Everyone has asked for everything so someone will always get lucky.:D

The top splits who frequent this site need to set up some sort of a council for some weighty, qualified feedback. All regular FiA entrants (covers weeklies too) and most of them regularly visit lobbies for practice or organised races. Perfect realistic feedback.

They've probably got a custom GTP database. One without the frequently updated 'bugs' thread in it... I'm pretty sure they read it when somethings big turns up like the grip bug though.

Feedback on GTP is foolproof anyway. Everyone has asked for everything so someone will always get lucky.:D

The top splits who frequent this site need to set up some sort of a council for some weighty, qualified feedback. All regular FiA entrants (covers weeklies too) and most of them regularly visit lobbies for practice or organised races. Perfect realistic feedback.

I think this is already happening. Some of the top UK lads have mentioned things at world/FIA events. That's where the feedback primarily needs to come from imo. Not 100 "me, me,me. I want I want" threads on here. They just drown out the good ideas/suggestions.

Ea/dice directly talk to the community and fix bugs /glitches/bad play changes /ban cheaters .so using them as an example would be a really bad choice .

Having said that there is lots pd/sony refuse to even look at in terms of game play . Gtplanet has suggested a fair amount of good well thought out changes that could be made , as a community , that barring guessing ,pd only fixed because of online as youtube ,twitch exposure looked at and fixed.

Even adding single player , didnt seem to be HEY ITS US AT PD thanks for letting us know that single player was such a wanted feature so we here at pd listened to the community and guess what ? It is coming on next up date .

To me it seemed more like HEY it seems a bunch of people have made uploads on video on no single player mode and it might make us look bad, we better act to shut them up .

That is how i see it so far. Of course people ,companys can change and i hope it happens.

Do they listen? That should probably read "Why aren't they doing what I want?!?"

Lol, no. Guess I used the wrong words for it.
Of course I want them to listen, but the real problem is, that we never get any feedback. Do they work on something or not? Will they fix some stuff, or not? We just dont know...

It's like you're wife tells you something, you listen, but dont respond. Will it end well? Find out yourself :P:scared:

I would say the question actually is 'Do we talk to PD'. Apart from a small number at the event finals no one here actually speaks to PD. Why would you assume that PD reads a message board? Why would you assume that PD reads English? Have you read Japanese message boards that discuss GTS?

CJ

It's easy to say 'no' cause we lost all direct communication once the closed beta ended. The forums were monitored by the staff. But I think this time around they really are responding to their fans. They don't do it like most Western developers by hopping on leddit and declare that they have reddit (geddit?), but they respond in video game sequels. We got a premium Supra, an E30, and a Shuto Expressway-inspired race track series. More should be down along the line now we're getting a DC2 Integra Type R seemingly out of nowhere, but the suggestions board here on GTP.

After all, that's what developers should be doing anyway.

PD Customer Relations.jpg

The question isn’t whether or not polyphony listens to the player base, the question is does polyphony listen to the right part of the player base, The right part being the actual majority of the player base who wanted Gran Turismo to be, you know, Gran Turismo.

Instead, they chose to listen to a minority of the player base who wants to be Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian loeb, and who don’t seem to want to grasp the concept that a majority of us don’t actually think that online competitive esports stuff is the most important thing in a video game.

Polyphony probably does listen to its player base, it just listens to the wrong part of the player base.

Yes, PD listens. But, think about how many suggestions, problems, etc. are thrown at them? The number is probably staggeringly high. They then need to wade through everything, prioritize a list, figure out what's actually feasible, and then assign someone to work on it. It's no small task.

I work with software development as an analyst and even a relatively minor bug or enhancement can cause a ton of other issues. It needs to be vetted extensively before it ever makes it to a production environment. This adds a ton of time, which when coupled with all the other day-to-day tasks associated with work (meetings, e-mails, etc.) makes the process lengthy.

The question isn’t whether or not polyphony listens to the player base, the question is does polyphony listen to the right part of the player base, The right part being the actual majority of the player base who wanted Gran Turismo to be, you know, Gran Turismo.

Instead, they chose to listen to a minority of the player base who wants to be Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian loeb, and who don’t seem to want to grasp the concept that a majority of us don’t actually think that online competitive esports stuff is the most important thing in a video game.

Polyphony probably does listen to its player base, it just listens to the wrong part of the player base.

Yes, PD has listened to the fanbase. For 20 years they have aimed at the people who want the "traditional" Gran Turismo career style, and now they try something new and exciting you assume they are not listening to the majority and barely anyone wants an online eSports GT racing game, although competitive online racing is very popular nowadays.

...they have their own time line when and what they wanna do, all suggestions go apart from what they have in plan presumably 99% of the time.

I really wish PD makes a thread here, where all suggestions can be gathered by moderators and put in that thread, so we can follow what are they working on.

Porsche, livery editor, premium Supra, updated sounds, E30, improved performance, better online. They've addressed all that, but hey -- they don't listen.
Yep the premium Integra DC2 this month is another proof, but what about some basic features like a 360 deg camera? Or more daily races?

Yes, PD has listened to the fanbase. For 20 years they have aimed at the people who want the "traditional" Gran Turismo career style, and now they try something new and exciting you assume they are not listening to the majority and barely anyone wants an online eSports GT racing game, although competitive online racing is very popular nowadays.
While eSports is on the rise, it really still is the minority. However, this title and the backing the name on the game has, is really progressing it, in my opinion. It's not a very large thing, now, but I can see it gaining more exposure as it goes on.

Just because PD "sometimes" add or change things the community requests and "sometimes" they don't, doesn't mean they "sometimes" listen.
And those that answered "No" live in La-La land.

All devs. actively seek and take an interest in what their customers talk about.
PD are no different.

Back