So, how do you feel being a passenger?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ExigeEvan
  • 37 comments
  • 2,339 views
I usually hate being a passenger, especially if my mum is driving. I often mistakenly assume that's she's seen an obstacle ahead, but it seems she never looks very far ahead and so won't see the obstacle until the last second. She also tends to swerve towards oncoming cars at night. :scared:

Other less dangerous things that she does include constantly moving the steering wheel slightly, forgetting that 5th gear exists and driving over chevrons when pulling onto motorways.

Curiously I feel perfectly safe when my dad's driving, even when we literally caught air on a deserted lane in his old 306. :lol:
 
I really don't enjoy being a passenger unless it is with the most uninspiring of drivers.

People driving crazy and insane do not scare me what-so-ever. The only person I feel 100% completely comfortable riding passenger with is my brother.

People driving eratically really scare me, but I have good reason for that - a couple of months in hospital with two broken legs when my now ex girlfriend nearly killed me doing 80mph in a 40 limit.
The one person who scares me most is my younger brother. He's your typical van driver - 25% over the speed limit, so close to the car in front you cannot see its rear bumper!

Overly cautious drivers also bother me. If you cannot keep up with the traffic, then you just become a rolling roadblock. Going too slowly just makes surrounding drivers impatient, and that can lead to accidents. Ironically the slowest driver I know is also the most accident prone.

But because I drive little bit fast(just a little, seriously), some people actually say stuff like, "I'm never riding in your car again", though I'm a far safer driver than they are. Not fair.

Luckily the overly cautious drivers I know prefer for me to drive. Sure I drive a bit fast, but I do so smoothly. They can tell that their skills are somewhat lacking, so are happy to hold onto the oh-s**t handle and get there in one piece.

She also tends to swerve towards oncoming cars at night.

That's what my ex did. Unfortunately so did the driver of the other car so we collided with a 'combined speed in excess of 120mph' Even more unfortunate was that the passenger in the other car died at the scene.
 
Well everyone I know are good drivers, even my friends except for 2, the first one we all know as "Dumb****" I'm glad I seldom drive with that guy anymore; 2 examples are when one time he was speeding down my block and doing about 50-65 mph and there is this yield sign at the end of the street, I bring this to his attention and He floors it! It’s nearly a blind corner mind you. Then he is the only person who I know not only tricked 2 other people to go off a jump but also has taken his blazer airborne. There is also my other friend who drives relatively safe just goes 20+ over the speed limit everywhere
 
Too high is horrible as is too low. Stop doing 40mph in 5th gear I'm losing my bumcheeks.
That sounds perfectly normal to me :odd:.

I don't like being a passenger. My list of approved chauffers is very short. I do whatever I can to ensure that I'm behind the wheel when I go somewhere with someone else.

My biggest pet peeve is braking way late. I know that they see the car ahead is stopped...or do they?
 
^ +1

I am the same way. I will always drive if I have the opportunity.


M
 
That sounds perfectly normal to me :odd:.

I don't like being a passenger. My list of approved chauffers is very short. I do whatever I can to ensure that I'm behind the wheel when I go somewhere with someone else.

My biggest pet peeve is braking way late. I know that they see the car ahead is stopped...or do they?

4th is for 40 MPh surely? Maybe I was thinking of 30mph in 5th.
 
I am the same way. I will always drive if I have the opportunity.
If I were going somewhere with you, I'd gladly let us take your car :D.
Sureshot
4th is for 40 MPh surely? Maybe I was thinking of 30mph in 5th.
Depends on the car, but in all the cars I've driven, top gear can be used for anything around 35+ mph without the engine laboring.
 
I'm not the best passenger. Always (well, not constantly) telling the driver to keep a bigger following distance. To stop accellerating so quickly and braking late because it will waste petrol. And so on.

I'm most worried when i'm a passenger while my 22 year old brother is driving (he's on his restricted licence). Since he crashed his first Skyline on a gravel road into a bank i think his driving has gotten a little worse (or maybe it is just as bad as it was). :indiff:

Sometimes he is good, but other times he is booting it (turning) right out of a t-junction (from standstill) which, with 180 hp and an LSD, has the potential to get the back out in all weather (considering Skylines are used constantly for drifting too...) and i've got a very, very bad feeling that he will crash his current Skyline too (by god am i glad its not a turbo) and because i love Skylines so much there are extremely high chances i might not speak to him for quite some time afterwards if this happens.
He's also starting to drive quite often with just one hand on the wheel, stating that it will make him better with two hands on the wheel? :ouch:

I've tried stating my concerns to my immediate family but they always dismiss them and tell me to leave it alone. Who the heck can i tell then!??! :scared: :grumpy:

Like yesterday, we were sitting at a t-junction, he was getting impatient because we couldn't get out due to traffic. Then a gap opened up, he booted it and if i hadn't told him to let off a bit the car i predict would have gone sideways and because he doesn't have very good car control skills (neither do i) he would have overcorrected and hit the parked cars on the side of the road.
He booted it up the street and stated a whole lot of unrepeatable words to the line of 'if you don't like my driving then don't come with me'. I then told him 'if you want to kill yourself go ahead (didn't mean it of course), but just don't do it while we (me, 20 year old brother and 16 year old sister) are in the car'. All went a bit quiet then, but i'm getting really worried.

Family doesn't seem to give a crap about it either!! :banghead: :mad: :(
 
Back