So hypothetically.... Finale: NEW MAZDA 3!!! PICTURES INSIDE!!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Boundary Layer
  • 88 comments
  • 3,992 views
Infiniti G35.

I wouldn't even think about it - I'd just buy.

QFT.
The Nissan drive train is practically bullet proof, the car can be had used with AWD Sedan, Sedan in Manual and Automatic trans (RWD only), and Sport Coupe Manual and Auto though the Auto is more prevalent.
On the down side the G35 requires premium grade fuel which is 20-30 cents a gallon more expensive in USD.
If driven prudently, you will see 25 MPG tops.
However, the standard car comes with Leather Heated seats, 6 disc CD changer, cruise control, stereo controls on the wheel, most have sunroofs, Many have Nav-systems.

Every day in the Kansas City Metro I can find 20 Low mileage (10K/year) G's on Auto Trader.

Alternately, You're budget will allow you to buy a new Mazda6.
As I have two new 4 cyl 6's on the "lot" I can tell you they have better than adequate performance, fair to good fuel economy, great amenities. for under $20K USD. (Don't know what that works out to in Canadian Dollars.)

The Mazda6 and the Fusion share the same platform, but I like the looks of the Mazda better.

I also agree with Rumple on the Mazda3. In either the Mazdaspeed or "ordinary" platform. It shares underpinnings with the Volvo S40. One of my sons has one, and it seems to be a fine machine.
Good luck with whatever you choose.👍
 
Well, I don´t know about prices in your country.
I just bought me a used BMW 325i :)

I hope it will hold for long time. Because I enjoy the sound of the Straight 6 very much. And it is not using too much fuel.
Because of the fuel prices here in Germany, I am thinking about changing it to LPG.

Mazda6 and the Lancer I was thinking abou too.
But the BMW was cheaper in the insurance and has absolutely no problems if you want to make it a "bi"fuel car. (LPG and "normal" fuel)

Greetings from the other side of the atlantic
Kutscher
 
And they are AWD for the winters.

lgt34.jpg


If I were buying a car it would be a 05' or newer Legacy GT. They have a turbo 2.5l out of the STi and with a chip and tune are almost as fast. Plus they look more grown up than a wrx and have more room. My 2 cents.
One of these cars is exactly the route I would go. More than enough power, attractive, reliable, good gas mileage, and AWD which is perfect for winter. 👍
The Celica GT-S is would be another great choice as pointed out above but I would lean more toward the Legacy, EVO, or WRX.
 
One of these cars is exactly the route I would go. More than enough power, attractive, reliable, good gas mileage, and AWD which is perfect for winter. 👍
The Celica GT-S is would be another great choice as pointed out above but I would lean more toward the Legacy, EVO, or WRX.

Found a listing for one downtown.
http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=30506016&pgno=1&srt=1

It's not the GT model, but its well optioned, nice colour, ...but states it's AT. There's no interior pics so I'm not sure if it would have some sort of sportshift option or not.

This is a trend I'm noticing on a lot of the sportyish sedans on the used lots here. Tough to find MT.
 
its pretty much the same. although prices do not always reflect that. judging by his choices though, i am assumimg a 20k car in the US is a 20k car in canada.
Automobile prices are region-sensitive; not conversion rate-sensitive. They can dip down by up to 15% between two neighbouring states for the exact same car. Generally speaking, used autos in the United States are cheaper than those in Canada.
 
Generally speaking, used autos in the United States are cheaper than those in Canada.

By $3k to $6k depending on the car (from what I've seen in my price range).
 
its pretty much the same. although prices do not always reflect that. judging by his choices though, i am assumimg a 20k car in the US is a 20k car in canada.

Automobile prices are region-sensitive; not conversion rate-sensitive. They can dip down by up to 15% between two neighbouring states for the exact same car. Generally speaking, used autos in the United States are cheaper than those in Canada.

k
 
Random thing that popped into my mind, as an alternative to the Celica - Matrix XRS.

Just toured around a Toyota lot on the way back from dropping the gf off at work and had a look at the 09 Matrix XRS and 09 Corolla XRS.

...they may be about to claim their next victim.


They won't perform like a Legacy or whatever, but I really enjoy the styling on both of them (moreso than any of the current Mazda's I'm considering) and either should make a good driver, get decent mileage (both have the same 160hp 2.4 as my parents' Camry, and it does ok), have adequate room inside, and I'm sure the quality would be top notch. My sister's 98 Corolla is a great little car, for what it is.

09corolla_xrs_008-44.jpg



The Corolla XRS is $21.7K~ish CDN, so it fits the budget I've given myself. Financing payments would be around $400/month on a 60 month term, which is cake. + I think the dealership here offers discounts to recent graduates, and I believe this car qualifies for some $2000 environmental friendly federal discount thing (maybe not with the 2.4 though... will have to check this further) edit: not with the 2.4.

The AWD Matrix XRS is nearer to $27-$28K... a little richer than I was thinking, but on a lease the payments would still be in the $350/month area so it's certainly doable.

Gotta go test drive some in the next couple weeks.


edit 2: hmmm, internet reviews of the 09 Corolla aren't all that thrilled with it... pretty scathing actually
edit 3: AWD Matrix XRS gets fully independent rear suspension... Corolla gets crappier torsion beam semi-independent. Too weird. Matrix is looking more attractive... but tons of reviews are still saying the 5 door Mazda 3 GT is the better buy.
 
It seems that as far as cars, Toyota has been resting on its laurels for a while now.

Consumer Reports still rates them pretty well, but for the first time in many years most of Toyota's cars have found themselves off the "Recommended List".

That says a lot when CR has been recommending Camry's for the last decade or more, and now say that it's still "okay" but not on the recommended list anymore.
 
Pontiac's version of the Matrix XRS looks better:

2009-Pontiac-Vibe-GT-02.jpg


...That being said, they're all Toyotas, and I don't find their position in the market convincing. Sure, the styling is "sharp" (saw an '09 Corolla the other day, I was impressed), but its still pretty boring overall. If we're going to talk small cars, you're going to want to look at the cheaper, generally more entertaining models;

- Mazda 3
- VW Rabbit
- Mitsubishi Lancer
- Saturn Astra (if you can enjoy the odd interior)
- Subaru Impreza 2.5 (if you can enjoy the Toyotaishness that has been baked in)

Again, I'm impartial to the Mazda and the VW because they are the two I'm considering buying (probably the Mazda). There aren't many cars that are going to be that cheap, that well-built, and that much fun to drive. With the Mazda you get a few more choices in the engine department, and its a bit more efficent overall... And with the VW you get solid stuff from the start, but the fuel mileage isn't as good as I'd hope, and the build quality can go from very good to very bad quickly (as I understand it).
 
I really feel the Matrix looks better, but to each their own.

Pontiac's version of the Matrix XRS looks better:
If we're going to talk small cars, you're going to want to look at the cheaper, generally more entertaining models;

- Mazda 3
- VW Rabbit
- Mitsubishi Lancer
- Saturn Astra (if you can enjoy the odd interior)
- Subaru Impreza 2.5 (if you can enjoy the Toyotaishness that has been baked in)


Interesting, for new cars that list reads almost the exact same as mine - except that I didn't have the Astra on there, and the Corolla that I did have on there is now followed by a number of question marks.

The Impreza is questionable... not just because of the quirky styling and old lady interior, but I imagine that if I got one I'd always have this nagging feeling of "why the hell didnt I spend the cash and get the WRX?"

The TSX I had found a listing for the other day has been ruled out. I had a look at it this morning (it was next door to the Toyota dealer) and something didn't smell quite right... so I called them up and they were actually quite upfront about telling me that it had been involved in a heavy accident. Scratch that one from the list.
 
While I do feel similarly about the Impreza, its the AWD that draws you in I suppose. The interior materials suck-ass, but I'm just happy that someone has managed to put out a car with a proper blue/tan combo that I can love. Seriously, that vanilla interior is brilliant!

If you can hold off a little bit, Honda and Mazda like to try to kick a bunch of their cars out the door over the summer here in the US. I assume they run the same deals in Canada, no?
 
you can find a good condition 04-05 STI for around $20k....its a reliable car and my 2006 is the best car ive ever had. The transmission feels bulletproof.
 
you can find a good condition 04-05 STI for around $20k....its a reliable car and my 2006 is the best car ive ever had. The transmission feels bulletproof.

with 60,000+ miles on it maybe.
 
The AWD is the Subaru's saving grace, for sure.

If you can hold off a little bit, Honda and Mazda like to try to kick a bunch of their cars out the door over the summer here in the US. I assume they run the same deals in Canada, no?


Actually, Mazda is doing a big clearance event right now, up here... and I do need a car urgently. So that gives them a slight edge.

The more reviews I keep reading about the new compact class of cars, the more I keep getting pointed back to either a Mazda 3 Sport GT or the Lancer GT or GTS model.

The Lancer has the sharper looks imo, and a good list of options that I can afford - but similar options can be put on a 3. Until I've driven one, I think the list of pluses ends there.

The Mazda gets the best mileage out of the bunch, and I think the utility of the hatch and versatility of it's larger cargo area would be better for me than the Lancer's sedan configuration because I do some camping and stuff in the summer, and will be moving into a new place soon which will bring about a whole new wave of large-ish purchases that I'll need some way of getting home. Same is certainly true of the Impreza's and Rabbit's body style... but according to enthusiast reviews neither of those cars is as sporty to drive as the Mazda, the mileage is a few mpg worse in the EPA estimates, and I'd be a little worried about the price and availability of parts with either of those cars here if something should need repairing.

So I suppose, unless I have a huge change of heart when I go and test drive any of the bunch, that as far as new cars go I've got it narrowed down to the Mazda 3 - in spite of the opinion I gave in post 22. Then there's just deciding if there's any used cars in this market that I'd rather have... I think I would still prefer a slightly larger car, but they're tough to come by in and around Winnipeg with a MT, and a larger car will almost inherently have worse mileage.


hehehe, it's about time I put some of that engineering economics and project management decision matrix stuff to use - even if it is on a more domestic decision.


you can find a good condition 04-05 STI for around $20k....its a reliable car and my 2006 is the best car ive ever had. The transmission feels bulletproof.

Hardly, though I wish I could. I can find just two nearby right now, each at $30K+ with over 100000km on them... and they will have been hard miles by the look of it - they've got decals and aftermarket rims and plastic crap stuck all over them. The Winnipeg (hell, the Canadian) used car market is frustrating that way.
 
Awh, yes... Impreza's... No STi, Impreza's are cooler, abit slower, but so much better looking and cheaper... lol


Or buy a Lancer!
 
I don't like new cars. I love the new Lancer. Get my point? ;)
 
you can find a good condition 04-05 STI for around $20k....its a reliable car and my 2006 is the best car ive ever had. The transmission feels bulletproof.

Impossible. I really (REALLY) wanted to buy a 2004 STi from USA and they're about $22k or so. Over here in Canada, it's considerably more (I think at least $29k for the 2004 STi). I really wanted to buy a '04 STi from states, but it was just too much hassle for me and I would have been raped on the insurance too.
 
If you can find a good one, I'd go for a G35. RWD cars aren't that bad in Canadian winters, I find them to be alot of fun, unless of course you end up in a ditch!

As far I know, from friends who own a view, there VW experiences have not been great. One of them bought a brand new Jetta, and said its sucking oil, and the dealers say he's lying. So I'd recommend going with a Japanese vehicle... :)

2009 Toyota Corolla's are amazing little cars!
 
I must admit, even though I am a HUGE fan of the G35, that a new car with a warranty beats an older car that has some remaining warranty or is just out of warranty.

Granted, Nissan tends to make cars that are mechanically bulletproof.
But a NEW Mazda3, verses a 4 year-old 50,000 mile G35. (There's a nice '04 G35x right around the corner for $19,900-ish)
I know which one I'd consider the "smart" choice.
Without a wife, I might follow my "heart".
But I know which one is the smarter choice.
 
As far I know, from friends who own a view, there VW experiences have not been great. One of them bought a brand new Jetta, and said its sucking oil, and the dealers say he's lying. So I'd recommend going with a Japanese vehicle... :)

If its a 1.8T its a common thing, so I wouldn't worry much about it. Anything newer and the factory should be looking into it.

Any time you look at a used VW or Audi, NEVER get anything made before 2003 if it has a 1.8T...
 
TC2004GTS-AP.jpeg

Celica GT-S

Could you even fit in that? Last time I sat in a Celica, my head was through the sunroof.
 
update

I finished my university education last Thursday, so since then I've been doing a few test drives (some of them pretty lenghty) on 2009 Lancer GT's, SE's, and GTS's, 2009 Toyota Corolla XRS's, 2008.5 Mazda 3 GT's sedan & sport models, and a 2008 Impreza Sedan Sport. I did a few other used cars, but nothing I was too serious about. I also sat in a 2003 Ferrari 360 Modena that the Mitsubishi dealership had on consignment, but lacked the $20000 deposit the salesman wanted to allow me to take it for a spin :p


My opinions so far:

The Subaru is out. It was one of the first cars I tested because it was nice and close to the university. I've forgotten a lot of what I felt about the handling, all I remember is that there was a lot of engine and road noise. The interior treatment looked pretty cheap compared to everything else I sat in (particularly the Ferrari ;) ), and the mileage is estimated to be the worst of the bunch. That, coupled with styling that I don't think I could ever learn to love, plus the 3 flocks of seniors that were simultaneously checking out clones of the car I tested for themselves lead me to think that this just isn't the car for me.

All of the Lancer's felt very sluggish on the highway. In town the steering is very sharp - it caught me buy surprise actually, the first time I went down an off-ramp. But some combination of the weight and gearing make the throttle pretty unresponsive. I felt that my current B13 Sentra with its wimpy GA16DE had more pull in 4th gear between 80 and 120km/h for passing than the Mitsubishi's did. The GTS with the 2.4 was somewhat peppier, probably a bit quicker than my Sentra (but only just, and that's nothing for it to be bragging about), but the notion of paying a few thousand more upfront to buy into the 'privelege' of having to pay a few hundred more on gas over the next couple years doesn't make sense to me.
They look sharp though. I suppose that counts for something.

Corollas.... where to begin.
After walking around the lot for 20mins in plain sight of the showroom without a single sales rep coming out to greet me, I decided I'd have to try to hunt one down. My complaints about this particular dealership and the sales rep I got stuck with go farther than that, but no point in elaborating further because it really means nothing about the car. The drive itself was comfortable, not exactly definitely not fun or exciting, but comfortable, and pretty rolly. Accurate feedback from the steering was pretty much absent on the demo car I drove... but I think something may not have been functioning properly there... something was definitely bugged as the resistance to turning the wheel seemed to pulsate on and off. I mentioned it to the tool of a sales rep in the passenger seat and he said, "yes, that's the electronic assisted steering system" ...what a winner :dunce:. I basically ruled the corrolla out for good then and there. Although this may have been an isolated incident with the steering, it left me thinking that Toyota still has a few wrinkles to iron out. Also, the interior was feeling a little dated after having just been in a Lancer earlier in the day.

Today I drove three Mazda 3's.
One was a used one (2005 GT sedan I think) that I absolutely hated - based on tire wear it was probably in dire need of a front end alignment, it pulled hard right at highway speed, had a noticeable vibration through the steering at all speeds, and the clutch was slipping quite a bit (all the way through 4th gear leaving an off-ramp). When I got it back to the dealership (about 3 mins after taking it out), I noticed some more flaws in the paint on the front presumably from salt accumulation in the winter, and some heavy heavy scratches that actually gouged the plastic on the rear bumper. I think the problems with this car were entirely the product of the previous owner not looking after it, and not an indication of Mazda's quality.

So after that I tested two 2008.5 GT's, a sport with the cloth interior, and a sedan with the leather luxury package interior. I knew before this that I wanted the cloth, but the salesman I'm dealing with didn't have a sedan optioned the way I wanted ready to drive.
Now, I'd read all over the place that the Mazda 3 was a fun little car to drive, but it all sounded like marketing talk and I never paid much attention to it. Well... it IS fun to drive. I liked the short throw shifter. The car always felt like it just wanted to move when you hit the gas (though I think 0-60 would be a bit slower than the Lancer GTS, but I'm really not concerned with that too much). Handling, it just goes right where you point it, and felt like there was less roll and more grip than the Lancers. I liked its highway/cruising manners and passing ability. The highway fuel mileage should be in the 44mpg range (that's using British gallons). Honestly, the only thing I'd fault is that the ride got pretty bumpy inside on rough roads, but that's bound to happen with the short tire sidewalls and firm sporty suspension, and I'm willing to live with that. I wasn't really a fan of the trunk on the sedan because you have to push stuff into it, but I was thinking all along that I liked the style and utility of the hatch more anyways. Also, the salesmen at the Mazda dealership is a genuinely nice guy and seems to understand what I'm looking for and is enthusiastic about getting me into a car that is right for me as opposed to just selling me whatever I lay my sights on just so he can get his commission. He's actually encouraged me to take some time shopping around other dealerships for my own peace of mind, which I really dont think is common salesman practice. Every other guy I've dealt with so far has either been unfriendly, or uninformative to the point that I was telling them something about their cars (that Toyota guy was a real piece of work... I just can't get over it), or just looking to make a quick buck on a quick sale.

Anyways, despite what I said earlier about wanting to avoid the 3 because everyone has one, I think I may be purchasing one as soon as tomorrow.
I've still got to settle on a price and payment schedule with the dealership but I'm feeling very very good about ordering a 2008.5 Mazda 3 Sport GT.


If I act tomorrow I can still get 0% financing on a 60 month term, on May 1st that special expires... There's just this little nagging thing in the back of my head that's saying I should hold out longer and see if a used one (06 or 07) shows up somewhere optioned as I want. Financing would be at/around 7.5%, but even with that figured in the sum off all the payments could be $3000+ less than new. The difference in price could buy a lot of gas.



I don't imagine I'm going to get much sleep tonight as I debate this...
 
He's actually encouraged me to take some time shopping around other dealerships for my own peace of mind, which I really dont think is common salesman practice.

I've bought lots of cars, interacted with many sales people and have gone on numerous test drives in my life. I don't think I have ever had one of them actually suggest that I shop their competition.

You should buy a car from this guy just on principle.


M
 
...I don't think I have ever had one of them actually suggest that I shop their competition.
Not nowadays...He must be trying to get fired.

Of course, you have to try hard to get fired in the car-sales business, since 3-4 weeks with zero sales makes people quit anyhow.
 
My Mazda guy suggested that I do the same thing... How odd?

Anyway, I'm a big fan of the 3, and honestly the only car that could sway me otherwise would be the VW Rabbit. But with gas prices being so high, I'm thinking the Mazda is the best alternative.

...That being said, I'm going for the 3i Touring with the 2.0, not the 2.3, just to save $1000. I really don't think the extra 9 BHP and 17" wheels are worth it...

Not to mention the fact that they finally sell the 3i in "my color" now...
 
If I act tomorrow I can still get 0% financing on a 60 month term, on May 1st that special expires...

Ten bucks says you walk in May 2nd and tell them you'll do it and they'll give you the same deal. This seems like one of those dealer motivational tricks to get you to make the deal before you change your mind.
 
Ten bucks says you walk in May 2nd and tell them you'll do it and they'll give you the same deal. This seems like one of those dealer motivational tricks to get you to make the deal before you change your mind.
Naw, 10 bucks says when he gets to the finance man, the deal will suddenly change by a couple dollars, and he'll be paying a little more than he was told. However, I have not read his entire post thoroughly, so he might be on a different deal.
 
Naw, 10 bucks says when he gets to the finance man, the deal will suddenly change by a couple dollars, and he'll be paying a little more than he was told. However, I have not read his entire post thoroughly, so he might be on a different deal.

Come on... dealers want these things moved. They'll do whatever they can to do so... especially relatively small-margin cars like the 3. All he's got to do is read the fine print.
 
Back