So, my internet seems to have gone on strike.

• Thread starter Nismonath5
  • 4 comments

Nismonath5

Premium
New Zealand
South Auckland, New Zealand
Nismonath5
I've got fiber internet, average 100mb down and 10mb up. However, I still get "poor connection" warnings on games like Fall Guys and Motorsport Manager Online.

That's been survivable, however recently, GT Sport has begun to really suffer and now doing daily races and the Manufacturer Series is a pretty major lag-fest.

What's really got me stumped is that when I do connection tests, I still get told that I have 70+mb down and 10mb up. If those really are the numbers, then why is my connection so poor?

Any input appreciated, I'm not a tech-y guy but I'd at least like to get the smooth, rich internet experience I'm supposedly paying for! Cheers.

Hey mate, I experienced first hand your connection issues in the Nurb race, so let me try to help.

1. Do the PS4 connection test from settings and note your NAT Type. You want it to be 1 or 2. If not, call your ISP and ask to opt out of CG NAT and retest.

2. Set your PS4 to have static IP address, and then enter that IP adress in your router's DMZ. Basically this allows unfiltered access between your PS4 and the internet. You don't want this for your computer because of security issues, but PS4 is pretty secure so don't worry. The specific steps might vary a little depending on your router, but here's an example.

3. Open up these ports in your router (again, consult your router manual for steps):
  • TCP: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480
  • UDP: 3478, 3479

4. If possible, use a wired connection between your PS4 and router and shut off all other devices using wifi when you're racing online. Every little bit helps.

5. If all else fails, you might need to switch ISPs entirely. Just do some research online because this varies by area. Whirlpool forums are a big help. Top tip: the big companies usually aren't the best because they have a lot more customers so during peak hours (aka evenings) their internet just slows to a crawl.

Hope you sort this out 👍

Last edited:
Hey mate, I experienced first hand your connection issues in the Nurb race, so let me try to help.

1. Do the PS4 connection test from settings and note your NAT Type. You want it to be 1 or 2. If not, call your ISP and ask to opt out of CG NAT and retest.

2. Set your PS4 to have static IP address, and then enter that IP adress in your router's DMZ. Basically this allows unfiltered access between your PS4 and the internet. You don't want this for your computer because of security issues, but PS4 is pretty secure so don't worry. The specific steps might vary a little depending on your router, but here's an example.

3. Open up these ports in your router (again, consult your router manual for steps):
  • TCP: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480
  • UDP: 3478, 3479

4. If possible, use a wired connection between your PS4 and router and shut off all other devices using wifi when you're racing online. Every little bit helps.

5. If all else fails, you might need to switch ISPs entirely. Just do some research online because this varies by area. Whirlpool forums are a big help. Top tip: the big companies usually aren't the best because they have a lot more customers so during peak hours (aka evenings) their internet just slows to a crawl.

Hope you sort this out 👍
Awesome, cheers for that! Will definitely give it a go when I get back from work.

Is it more or less the same method for a PS5? I'm not fussed if I end up having to use the 4 to do my competition racing, but since I've paid the money to finally get a 5 it would be cool to use it as well :D

Awesome, cheers for that! Will definitely give it a go when I get back from work.

Is it more or less the same method for a PS5? I'm not fussed if I end up having to use the 4 to do my competition racing, but since I've paid the money to finally get a 5 it would be cool to use it as well :D
The general principles should be the same. You might need to consult the PS5 manual to see the specific steps and which ports need to be opened.

Appreciate the help @LeGeNd-1. It's not looking like I'll be doing any racing tonight, but come the next Manu race we'll likely both find out if that's fixed it, of if I need to go deeper.

Thanks again!! :cheers:

Back