So, um, I want to race at Le Mans one day. (Please read the message throroughly before responding)

I don't think Mustafar is referring to you, but the conversation directly above him.

Regardless, your question has pretty much been answered & narrowed down 2 things: Money & Experience. Unless you've got a boat load of money tucked away at 19 to basically bribe your way into a seat at Le Mans, gaining experience through karting & amateur-level racing series is your best bet to get there. IIRC, the FIA gets to decide what teams are allowed to participate through invitation, and if that still remains true, you're probably going to have to convince some of the lower end teams to let you on with your abilities. And even then, you're going to be right back at square one with your financial status.

I don't think anyone here is trying ruin your dreams, but the reality is that motorsport is an extremely expensive hobby, even for amateur weekend racers. Unless you've got enough untapped potential that persuades someone else to foot the bill, you may already be out of the running at competing at Le Mans based on your financial status. It may not be that you can't afford the race itself, but the journey to eventually get there.
I am very aware of how expensive motorsport really is, that is no stranger to me. Professionals can race on a regular basis because their budgets are mostly provided by manufacturers that have the money and the resources to make them a car to race. I know if you don't have the resources and/or experience, you won't stand a chance. But that's why I'm focusing on expanding my experience and resource kit to the necessary levels. I've learned a lot about the business so far, but I still got a lot of work left to do. I'd best not keep blabbering on about it, and just do it right now.

I don't know 🤬 about Motorsports. But how 'bout making a Youtube channel documenting your Motorsports Career? Maybe someone will notice you. Start making connections and sponsor you. This idea came from the PC review guys on Youtube. They started reviewing products they bought. But now, they were given products to review and some of them end up on their own builds.

Now, speaking of GT Academy, is there any information for the dates as to when it will be held? Like, will it be online GT6 or some kind of beta at a physical location or something? Seriously, the GTPlanet GT Academy thread in the Gran Turismo Series forum hasn't updated in like 10 days, and I haven't found any updates on GT Academy's facebook page or website. Nothing.

What I have seen of the GT Academy - they broadcast a reality television-style programme down here - it's completely useless; their idea of a useful racing skill was to drive laps of a short mud oval while being shot at with paintballs. It's small wonder that no-one from the GT Academy has achieved major success.

Those challenges are pretty much just for the camera and it's not what they really judge you on. And the people the winners are up against will most likely have been racing for over a decade, they do very well to even compete.

To answer the OP, you will need £50-100,000 a year to spare to race in Ginettas (or some equivalent depending on your country, basically entry level touring/GT cars), that's your best bet for getting sponsorship. Oh, and try for GT Academy, it's worth a try if you're able to qualify.

But yeah, when it comes to Le Mans I aim on going for an LMP2 drive. I much prefer the aspects of a Le Mans Prototype because they're lighter, faster and more agile; I personally love the spectacle of the prototypes just slicing and dicing around the GT cars, it's freaking amazing.

But yeah, when it comes to Le Mans I aim on going for an LMP2 drive. I much prefer the aspects of a Le Mans Prototype because they're lighter, faster and more agile; I personally love the spectacle of the prototypes just slicing and dicing around the GT cars, it's freaking amazing.

So what experience do you have right now? Do you have a road car license? Have you spent any days/weekends racing of any kind?

You haven't mentioned where you live. If you state where you live, perhaps more detailed recommendations can be made. It almost seems like you don't want to tell people where you are - because I saw someone else ask the question and it went unanswered. Anyway, with a general location, perhaps someone will be able to provide you with information on some motorsport events that aren't too far from where you live currently.

Did you mention that you have a physical condition? If so, is it something major like you've had a heart transplant or something else that's pretty severe? I bring this up because you need to be exercising and/or lifting light weights multiple days every week. You need to be in tip-top shape. Some people don't realize how stressful endurance racing is on one's body.

In fact, you need to be doing something every single day that has to do with your dream. Whether it be working out or running, or hitting up a karting track, or even just researching things online that can help further your goals -- you need to be 100% focused on realizing your dream. Nobody gets to the pinnacle of anything by half-arsing it. Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today.

Do you have a car? Is it something that could be used to Autocross? If not, I would probably recommend getting something. At least, that's one potential route. When you go to these events you're going to meet people. One of these people might possibly be able to open a door for you that gets you closer to your goal.

I had a friend who worked at a gas station while he was still in High School - just pumping gas for people, maybe checking oil or filling a tire with air now and then. I think he even helped the mechanics now and then. One day he just happened to be talking to a guy who pulled into that station because his car needed gas and the subject of racing at our local 1/2 mile oval track somehow came up. The man who was getting gasoline happened to have a nephew who raced at that track on weekends quite often. Long story short, within 12 months my friend was racing on that same track a handful of times each summer for the next few years. Now, he didn't go on to race at Le Mans, but that wasn't his goal anyway. The point is, the more people that you meet, the better your chances of meeting someone who can help you with your goals.

le mans flowchart.png

I think the Plan B bit is the most important part. If you want to get into motor racing, make sure you can afford it. Even if you don't get to race at Le Mans. Even if you never get beyond hiring some Go Karts with some mates, make sure you can afford it. Ultimately, getting to drive a racing car, even in a video game, is a luxury, and there are more important things in life which one should always come first.

That said, don't feel hopeless with your dreams. If a good opportunity ever arises, don't feel afraid to follow it, just be realistic about it. Enjoy getting as far as you get, no matter how far that is.

You haven't mentioned where you live. If you state where you live, perhaps more detailed recommendations can be made. It almost seems like you don't want to tell people where you are - because I saw someone else ask the question and it went unanswered. Anyway, with a general location, perhaps someone will be able to provide you with information on some motorsport events that aren't too far from where you live currently.

Did you mention that you have a physical condition? If so, is it something major like you've had a heart transplant or something else that's pretty severe? I bring this up because you need to be exercising and/or lifting light weights multiple days every week. You need to be in tip-top shape. Some people don't realize how stressful endurance racing is on one's body.

In fact, you need to be doing something every single day that has to do with your dream. Whether it be working out or running, or hitting up a karting track, or even just researching things online that can help further your goals -- you need to be 100% focused on realizing your dream. Nobody gets to the pinnacle of anything by half-arsing it. Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today.

Do you have a car? Is it something that could be used to Autocross? If not, I would probably recommend getting something. At least, that's one potential route. When you go to these events you're going to meet people. One of these people might possibly be able to open a door for you that gets you closer to your goal.

I had a friend who worked at a gas station while he was still in High School - just pumping gas for people, maybe checking oil or filling a tire with air now and then. I think he even helped the mechanics now and then. One day he just happened to be talking to a guy who pulled into that station because his car needed gas and the subject of racing at our local 1/2 mile oval track somehow came up. The man who was getting gasoline happened to have a nephew who raced at that track on weekends quite often. Long story short, within 12 months my friend was racing on that same track a handful of times each summer for the next few years. Now, he didn't go on to race at Le Mans, but that wasn't his goal anyway. The point is, the more people that you meet, the better your chances of meeting someone who can help you with your goals.

I'm very sorry for being late on answering this question, but as for recommendations based on locale, the closest track to me is I-30 Speedway in Little Rock, Arkansas. That is a dirt oval track, and the moment I discovered it after moving to AR years ago (for family reasons) I was like "forget this, I don't care about much about World of Outlaws and the like, I want a proper race circuit."

However, my focus right now to gain experience, is Skip Barber. There is a location in MSR Houston, about 8 hours away from where I live. Anywhere I go I'm gonna have to go out of state, there is absolutely nothing in Arkansas, except trees. Trees, Trees and more Trees. It's boring out here.

Oh, Autocross is great too, I'll look out for those things too.

View attachment 543005

I think the Plan B bit is the most important part. If you want to get into motor racing, make sure you can afford it. Even if you don't get to race at Le Mans. Even if you never get beyond hiring some Go Karts with some mates, make sure you can afford it. Ultimately, getting to drive a racing car, even in a video game, is a luxury, and there are more important things in life which one should always come first.

That said, don't feel hopeless with your dreams. If a good opportunity ever arises, don't feel afraid to follow it, just be realistic about it. Enjoy getting as far as you get, no matter how far that is.

Yes, and I wouldn't even try if I didn't think I could do it. I know I can, and I will. That is my attitude about that goal of mine.

Although I will admit that I do feel like I'm playing catch-up with this endeavor, due to the likes of *cough* Max Verstappen, who is darn near my age and already in F1, I have every reason to expect myself to pass Skip Barber with flying colors. People like him skyrocket my self expectations, I don't expect to fault much myself because of it.

Hey, doesn't anyone else wish that cars at Le Mans be equipped with a proper manual gearbox? Seriously, Stickshifts need to make a comeback, let alone Group C cars, those are amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any advice to offer for the La Sarthe goal (none better than what others have already offered, at any rate), but I can offer some GTPlanet help:

You don't need to double- (or triple-) post: you can quote multiple members to respond to at once by using the + Quote feature. You can also use the Edit feature to add to existing posts. I've just now merged your posts.

Good luck! 👍

I look forward to hearing from you guys. Advice and helpful information is much appreciated. :)

I may be the perfect person to speak to about this. While watching Le Mans in 2014 I decided "screw it I'm going to race in Le Mans" and have been on that journey ever since.

The simple fact is that it takes a boat load of cash and a lot of hard work. If you accept that you have to sacrifice everything then you're at least off to a good start.

In order to get as far as I have (I now race for Kessel Ferrari in the Blancpain Endurance Series) I had to spend all of my life's savings, sell my car and take on as much extra work as I could find.

I started by cold calling every single Le Mans team that entered the race in 2014. All of them said no because a) I had no circuit racing experience and b) to buy a seat at Le Mans in GTE-Am is $300k.

BUT racing is about relationships, starting from the bottom and then working your way up.

So I eventually did a one-off race with a small team in the Italian GT Championship, which I almost won. That led to an offer from a bigger team - that ran Lamborghini's - for the full 2015 season. I had to pay for it but I almost won the championship.

Then this year I got an invite from Kessel to test a Ferrari GT3. The significant part here is that it was not just money that got me this far but networking and relationships. I didn't have the money to even do the 2015 championship yet here I am doing what I love.

I do consider myself lucky but I also consider myself an example for others to follow should you be serious about this dream.

To give you an idea of what it will cost:

Racing Gear: $5,000 - 8,000 (helmet, suit etc.)
Travel: $8,000 - $12,000 depending on where you live
Cost Per Race: $18,000 - $35,000 depending on the GT Series

A full championship in a national GT series like the Italian Champs I competed in costs about $120,000 - $180,000.

A full go in the Blancpain GT Series (Sprint and Endurance) costs $400,000+

If you've never raced anything before then you need to do at least one year of karting to sharpen the skills and learn what racing is about. Ideally you should race in karts for at least 2 years before making the jump to GT racing.

When I decided to go after my Le Mans dream I was 29... so if you're 19 you actually have plenty of time.

You're welcome to drop me a PM if you want more info.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
I may be the perfect person to speak to about this. While watching Le Mans in 2014 I decided "screw it I'm going to race in Le Mans" and have been on that journey ever since.

The simple fact is that it takes a boat load of cash and a lot of hard work. If you accept that you have to sacrifice everything then you're at least off to a good start.

In order to get as far as I have (I now race for Kessel Ferrari in the Blancpain Endurance Series) I had to spend all of my life's savings, sell my car and take on as much extra work as I could find.

I started by cold calling every single Le Mans team that entered the race in 2014. All of them said no because a) I had no circuit racing experience and b) to buy a seat at Le Mans in GTE-Am is $300k.

BUT racing is about relationships, starting from the bottom and then working your way up.

So I eventually did a one-off race with a small team in the Italian GT Championship, which I almost won. That led to an offer from a bigger team - that ran Lamborghini's - for the full 2015 season. I had to pay for it but I almost won the championship.

Then this year I got an invite from Kessel to test a Ferrari GT3. The significant part here is that it was not just money that got me this far but networking and relationships. I didn't have the money to even do the 2016 championship yet here I am doing what I love.

I do consider myself lucky but I also consider myself an example for others to follow should you be serious about this dream.

A full championship in a national GT series like the Italian Champs I competed in costs about $120,000 - $180,000.

If you've never raced anything before then you need to do at least one year of karting to sharpen the skills and learn what racing is about. Ideally you should race in karts for at least 2 years before making the jump to GT racing.

When I decided to go after my Le Mans dream I was 29... so if you're 19 you actually have plenty of time.

You're welcome to drop me a PM if you want more info.

Good luck :)
Hey! I've seen a few of your motorsport post around GTP, and I figured you would pop in here with a response at some point. :) Folks like you are the kind of people I intended to reach out to with this thread. Another very helpful insight, Thanks man! :D I'll be sure to send you a PM sometime!

Is that subsidized? as i know someone thats did all 3, national gt, blancpain and offered a season in wec

British GT for a season is approx £450,000
Blancpain came in at £800,000 - £1,000,000
WEC GTE-AM was £2,500,000 not including testing.

Is that subsidized? as i know someone thats did all 3, national gt, blancpain and offered a season in wec

British GT for a season is approx £450,000
Blancpain came in at £800,000 - £1,000,000
WEC GTE-AM was £2,500,000 not including testing.

It does depend. If you're having to pay for yourself and a professional(s) then those numbers are accurate. But in my case I've been racing with "Gentleman" drivers who contribute the same or more than I do to a race seat.

WEC is out of hand IMO. Do you know that they're *maybe* 1 second a lap quicker than a GT3 around tracks excluding Spa? These manufacturers are developing entirely bespoke racing machines just to go as fast as their GT3 cousins. Makes zero sense to me.

BTW the numbers I quoted don't include any testing. That's ±$20k extra... per test.

Well, now that I have all the answers and information I need, I think it's about time to consider closing this thread now. I know where I need to go from here. Thanks everyone! :)

Wait, I think only peeps with admin powers can close threads, I'm not sure.

Well, now that I have all the answers and information I need, I think it's about time to consider closing this thread now. I know where I need to go from here. Thanks everyone! :)

Wait, I think only peeps with admin powers can close threads, I'm not sure.

Why not keep this thread open and share your experience with us? I'm sure a lot of people here are interested in reading about your journey. :)

Why not keep this thread open and share your experience with us? I'm sure a lot of people here are interested in reading about your journey. :)
I see your reasoning, but was a thread I created for asking about advice as to where to go and how to help get closer to achieving some of my goals. It's more of a question thread rather than a journey documentary thread. Just saying.

I see your reasoning, but was a thread I created for asking about advice as to where to go and how to help get closer to achieving some of my goals. It's more of a question thread rather than a journey documentary thread. Just saying.

Alright, it's your decision.

It does depend. If you're having to pay for yourself and a professional(s) then those numbers are accurate. But in my case I've been racing with "Gentleman" drivers who contribute the same or more than I do to a race seat.

WEC is out of hand IMO. Do you know that they're *maybe* 1 second a lap quicker than a GT3 around tracks excluding Spa? These manufacturers are developing entirely bespoke racing machines just to go as fast as their GT3 cousins. Makes zero sense to me.

BTW the numbers I quoted don't include any testing. That's ±$20k extra... per test.
Thanks that's what I was thinking some of the figures are truely staggering then my friend is a true am driver and does pay pros to race with him then when you read some of the regs for example in on GT championship if you buy 12 tyres you get 1 free always make me laugh.

Network is really important too and people here have some connection to racing team, so keeping a thread open might be a good idea but yeah like Telstar said your decision.

Alright, I'll keep this thread open so I can share some of my key achievements in motorsport, it only makes sense. Oh, before I continue on with trying to be the next Christophe Bouchut, Are there any touring car series' in the US that I can get into as a privateer? If so, which ones would be the best options? That seems like a good type of setting to try and catch the attention of some other teams.

**I also have a video to share, it's a recording of my best lap time so far on Circuit de la Sarthe in Gran Turismo 4:

Alright, I'll keep this thread open so I can share some of my key achievements in motorsport, it only makes sense. Oh, before I continue on with trying to be the next Christophe Bouchut, Are there any touring car series' in the US that I can get into as a privateer? If so, which ones would be the best options? That seems like a good type of setting to try and catch the attention of some other teams.

**I also have a video to share, it's a recording of my best lap time so far on Circuit de la Sarthe in Gran Turismo 4:

Pirelli World Challenge Touring car class.

http://world-challenge.com/competition-classes/

On that page, click on TC, TCA, and TCB. Those would be your beginner classes, and in theory, you can work your way up the World Challenge ladder all the way to GT3 cars.

Another option is the IMSA Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge.

http://www.imsa.com/series/sportscar-challenge

The Street Tuner (ST) class is the entry level class. This series is more of an endurance oriented series, featuring multi class racing, and full pit stops including driver changes. This series is the baby brother to the IMSA Weathertek Sportscar Championship, which is the series that races the 24hr of Daytona, 12hr of Sebring, etc., and features LMP2 spec prototypes.

Also part of the IMSA family is Mazda Prototype Lites, an entry level prototype series.

There's other sports car one make series run by IMSA as well, like the Ferrari Challenge, Super Trofeo, Porsche GT3 Cup. It's all on their website.

Pirelli World Challenge Touring car class.

http://world-challenge.com/competition-classes/

On that page, click on TC, TCA, and TCB. Those would be your beginner classes, and in theory, you can work your way up the World Challenge ladder all the way to GT3 cars.

Another option is the IMSA Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge.

http://www.imsa.com/series/sportscar-challenge

The Street Tuner (ST) class is the entry level class. This series is more of an endurance oriented series, featuring multi class racing, and full pit stops including driver changes. This series is the baby brother to the IMSA Weathertek Sportscar Championship, which is the series that races the 24hr of Daytona, 12hr of Sebring, etc., and features LMP2 spec prototypes.

Also part of the IMSA family is Mazda Prototype Lites, an entry level prototype series.

There's other sports car one make series run by IMSA as well, like the Ferrari Challenge, Super Trofeo, Porsche GT3 Cup. It's all on their website.
Great stuff, thanks! Now, to actually get some race time in with these options, (provided that I have the necessary savings stockpiled) how to I approach some of the teams at these races? Better yet, how should they be contacted and at what point in time? I mean, lets say I got my race budget ready to go, I'm ready to get in touch with one of the teams there, which step is next?

Great stuff, thanks! Now, to actually get some race time in with these options, (provided that I have the necessary savings stockpiled) how to I approach some of the teams at these races? Better yet, how should they be contacted and at what point in time? I mean, lets say I got my race budget ready to go, I'm ready to get in touch with one of the teams there, which step is next?

Step 1 will be getting a racing license (presuming you don't have one), SCCA has a very good guide on how to go about doing that.

I can't help a whole lot with the rest, but some teams like TRG have programs to help drivers develop skills, I'd imagine you just have to contact them and they would get you in contact with the right person. Apart from customer based teams though it may be a bit harder and that is where networking comes in, go to races, talk to the crews and eventually the right people will hear that someone with money is looking for a ride and get in contact.

Having said that, before you go plopping down major cash for a national series ride I would highly suggest doing something like a regional spec-Miata series just to make sure you don't absolutely hate it, plus it will show teams you are at least a competent driver.

TRG is a good team to look at as they have very strong ties to Aston Martin Racing.

Although the wealth their gentleman drivers have is scary!

TRG is a good team to look at as they have very strong ties to Aston Martin Racing.

Although the wealth their gentleman drivers have is scary!
I don't care about how much wealth I have compared to those other drivers, (well I do when it comes to racing, cuz motor racing is mad expensive as it is) I care about my driving ability on track and being able to take the fight to the other drivers on the race track.

On another note, I am really good at driving stickshift, (my car is a stickshift, btw) but annoyingly I'm still struggling with learning heel and toe downshifting. I have done it a couple of times, though. When I did do it sucessfully, I couldn't help but feel proud of myself given my less-than-impressive consistency, the anxiety is high for me. If I'm gonna make it through GT academy I better get to mastering heel & toe very quick.

Back