So what about this one?

• Thread starter hawkeye122
  • 12 comments
That little 250 is overpriced, but it looks pretty good! Probably been dropped too, people don't normally just stock up on fairings and handle bar mounts etc. All maintenence was supposedly done so it's ready to ride, at least go check it out. The entire bike looks detailed.

Just make sure to talk up the fact that you're going to have to put the front end back on it. Fairings, light, brackets, whatever it takes

You could get that 250 for less than 2k, he's moving, so if you could probably knock 500 bucks off of the price.

(My Dad bought an FZR400 that was listed for 2 grand, after a long bartering session he got it down to 1,400.)

If you want a bike that is really reliable, go with the Ninja, there's a reason they're so popular. I don't know about the reliability of the BMW though. But the Kawi is a sure bet.

I always liked the Ninja 250's, I say go for it. See if you can get the price down a little though.

The Kawi has been dropped, look at the shot with the exhaust can scraped up. Doesn't really matter, though, if the plastic is good and can be reinstalled. If the plastic is broken or there's hardware missing, that would be hard to know about if you're not familiar with the bike specifically.

As for being dropped, who cares? There's not a bike out there that hasn't been. Not one. As long as it hasn't been tumbling through the air as it throws bits into space, being dropped is not that big a deal. That kind of wreck bends things like forks and swingarms and wheels.

I would avoid the BMW. Service will be serious $$$$$$$. For example, clutch service requires the entire back of the bike (wheel, shocks, swingarm, drive shaft, etc.) be removed to access the clutch. Even for much less involved service parts will be pricey.

You can get a mint 07ish GS500F (full fairings) for that price and less miles, and you won't have to do anything but hop on and ride. Play that up. Make him feel bad he's overcharging for a bike that isn't fully assembled lol

If possible I would go for a 08-10 Ninja 250. 08 was the year they changed the body style. If you are looking for a city car I would suggest a CBR 250 but if you want a fun bike go with a Ninja.

I like the idea of fun, but if my parents think the bike is too fun, I'll get shot down.

Thanks guys, really helpful 👍

No problem.
Although this bike would also be a good choice...
RZ500.jpg

:sly:

Nevermind that it's a 4 cylinder 2 stroke 500, I'm sure that your parents would love it. :dopey:

JLRD500.jpg

'Dat expansion chamber(s).

That looks dated as hell but I love it. The plastic just behind the seat could go though. Color combinations work really well on that bike. If I ever get an '86 Honda ATC that's what I plan on doing to it. White plastics, red trim and gold wheels.

500cc 2-stroke is dated. Kick-starting oil-burner chainsaw-shrieking fun! But it's not something your folks would approve of if they know what it is (the superbike of its day,) and you couldn't afford gas for it (20mpg - maybe.)

Back